• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

It's ridiculous that, with my Frosted Daggers of 22 damage, I can stealth-kill a gargantuan troll, but not a comparatively paltry wolf.

Depends on where said troll and wolf is located. If the troll is lets say in the starting area, and the wolf a few area's after that, the wolf will always be harder to kill because it is either leveled above or near your level.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You should be able to land backstabs on wolves. Are you saying it doesn't do as much damage or something?

The latter. It's strange - I took down two unaware trolls with one stealth attack, but their companion wolves survived the very same with 30~40% HP.

Edit: Uh, fixed the percentage. My brain was asleep.

Depends on where said troll and wolf is located. If the troll is lets say in the starting area, and the wolf a few area's after that, the wolf will always be harder to kill because it is either leveled above or near your level.

As implied above, the trolls and wolves were in the very same area.

The latter. It's strange - I took down two unaware trolls with one stealth attack, but their companion wolves survived the very same with 60~70% HP.

As implied above, the trolls and wolves were in the very same area.

Could also be that the trolls were vulnerable to ice damage and wolves are not.

scy

I also just realized that this is going to be my build for my Rogue:

but that I will still have 5 levels left of points. Envenomed Edge is absolutely worthless since the 15% chance of poisoning does not go up with each upgrade. Innoculation? Worthless since the poison damage is not all that tough to begin with. Faeblades Mastery? Do not use Faeblades so those are worthless points as well. I totally see the point of Hybrid builds now. Some abilities just either do not suit personal needs or are not all that interesting to begin with.

Any particular reason you're not getting Execution? It's bonus Physical damage so it rolls through +Physical Damage% Mods and it should be able to crit. You have Barbed Arrows so you'll basically always be hitting a bleeding enemy...

Wallach

The latter. It's strange - I took down two unaware trolls with one stealth attack, but their companion wolves survived the very same with 60~70% HP.

Huh, that is weird. Maybe the Ettins are weak to pierce or some other damage type on your daggers that the wolves aren't? Or just busted.

On an unrelated note, ice magic and weapons give me a total boner. The noise is perfect, especially the machine gun ice spell. I can't wait to get that ridiculous charge ability for it.

JaseC

Could also be that the trolls were vulnerable to ice damage and wolves are not.

To the order of the daggers killing them in a single swipe? I doubt it. Even if the trolls did have a vulnerability to ice, the elemental damage dealt is a mere 6.

Huh, that is weird. Maybe the Ettins are weak to pierce or some other damage type on your daggers that the wolves aren't? Or just busted.

I meant that they survived with just a little less than half their health, which I edited in. :p You may be right, but then, logically, the wolves would be susceptible to piercing as they're just... wolves. *shrug*

The next time I come across some wolves, I'll experiment a little with other valid stealth weapons.

ttocs

I started playing this game early yesterday and completely lost track of time. The mix of Bethesda style quests with a more action based combat and a unique/different graphics really appealed to me. I started playing as a warrior but soon after switched to a pure rogue style character with blades and a bow. I'm really digging the freedom and even the story of the world. I was really surprised by this title. It's a great game.

Any particular reason you're not getting Execution? It's bonus Physical damage so it rolls through +Physical Damage% Mods and it should be able to crit. You have Barbed Arrows so you'll basically always be hitting a bleeding enemy...

You are right. I thought I picked Execution but I did not. I would be a complete idiot if I do not pick that.

bedlamite

Aaaand three hours have passed, just like that. The starting area, it's fucking huge! I'm about ready to move on, tbh

This game. THIS GAME.

Pejo

To the order of the daggers killing them in a single swipe? I doubt it. Even if the trolls did have a vulnerability to ice, the elemental damage dealt is a mere 6.

I meant that they survived with just a little less than half their health, which I edited in. :p You may be right, but then, logically, the wolves would be susceptible to piercing as they're just... wolves. *shrug*

The next time I come across some wolves, I'll experiment a little with other valid stealth weapons.

I noticed this yesterday as well. it seems anything with its own "dagger kill animation" takes a HUGE multiplier bonus to damage. Wolves and other creatures without the special animations seem to have a much smaller multiplier. For instance, watch the numbers on a brownie/wolf, then kill a human/ettin/kobold (each with their own death animation from stealth kill).

We're talking 1,300 vs. 130

I noticed this yesterday as well. it seems anything with its own "dagger kill animation" takes a HUGE multiplier bonus to damage. Wolves and other creatures without the special animations seem to have a much smaller multiplier. For instance, watch the numbers on a brownie/wolf, then kill a human/ettin/kobold (each with their own death animation from stealth kill).

Perhaps the devs thought that people would not see the point in backstabbing packs of wolves because they are with so many and so did not implement the damage multiplier for backstab stealth attacks. In all honesty I can understand them. The only enemies I backstab are giant enemies or humans.

I played for another 4 hours last night (bringing the total to around 9) and I enjoyed every second of it. This game is so much fun. I'm playing in hard and I think the difficulty feels great, some of the quests had a few challenging fights associated with them. Even when I survived by using potions I still felt completely satisfied.

bodine1231

Combat with 2H weapons is becoming more and more frustrating as the game goes along. The lack of any sort of cancel into either block or roll is annoying as hell. The 2H combos are so slow that when you get surrounded or shot at by archers it stops the combo and is a guaranteed hit on you,this really breaks the flow of battle as well. At least allow us to throw the shield up anytime mid combo.

Playing on hard btw.

Combat with 2H weapons is becoming more and more frustrating as the game goes along. The lack of any sort of cancel into either block or roll is annoying as hell. The 2H combos are so slow that when you get surrounded or shot at by archers it stops the combo and is a guaranteed hit on you,this really breaks the flow of battle as well. At least allow us to throw the shield up anytime mid combo.

Playing on hard btw.

It does not matter what type of weapons you use whether they are two handed or not. If you do not deal with archers and mages first you will get your ass handed to you in every single fight.

scy

At least allow us to throw the shield up anytime mid combo.

Barring the final swing of a combo, Shield/Evade is always a cancel option. That said, Archers and Mages, or really anything ranged, are a pain in any build. Grey con Mage groups on my Finesse/Sorcery build can decimate me :(

bodine1231

Barring the final swing of a combo, Shield/Evade is always a cancel option. That said, Archers and Mages, or really anything ranged, are a pain in any build. Grey con Mage groups on my Finesse/Sorcery build can decimate me :(

You can cancel right after you land a blow but not during the swing. And with the 2H being so slow the swing time is an eternity.

OTIX

Is there a build calculator that's been updated with the release changes? The one I found still use demo numbers.

You can cancel right after you land a blow but not during the swing. And with the 2H being so slow the swing time is an eternity.

Every weapon has its advantage and disadvantage.

With hammers and greatsword the speed is very slow but the damage more than makes up for that. With daggers or faeblades the damage per second is huge but the damage per hit is nothing compared to what you get with 2h weapons.

Neither weapon has a win-win situation.

Playing on hard btw.
Actually, I think the might class is probably the best suited for those situations. Relentless Assault completely negates the pesky interruptions and you can just wail on them with full combos as you please.

ced

Alright so I've got to start sticking to the faction and main quest, there is just too much shit to do.

I finally found a combo I like, might / sorcery with chakrams and great sword. Only have lightening and mostly passive stuff other than that.

Yeah, and once you max it, there's no armor penalty.
Yeah, and not only that, if you work up the tree, bloodlust scores you back the health for just standing there taking hits anyway. And if you get War Cry to reduce enemy attack damage, then you can stand there unleashing combos all day if you want.

That was my intent when I first started, but I'm having too much fun as pure mage right now. :)

Absolutely fucking love this game. Holy shit. I've got the worst kind of OCD in this game, so I'm doing every god damn quest I get.

I'm the same way, because I fear if I skip one I might be missing out on going somewhere cool. The further you go along the easier it is to recognize which quests are important and which ones are just fetches. Generally if multiple people are telling you to talk to someone, do those quests.

The fact that lore is collectible/incentivized is so good.

I love the lorestones. The sets that are placed completely within some of the dungeons are really cool.
The story told in the lorestones of spider-infested castle was really cool

ironcreed

Banned
Am I the only one who sometimes just stands still and gaze upon the beautiful art design? I caught myself doing that when I did the main quest and I believe everyone knows what I am talking about.
Didenhill did the same for me. Standing across the lake on this jumping platform and overlooking the water with in the distance the village.

You are not alone. Once you get out into the open Plains of Erathell and places like Tala-Rane you are absolutely soaked in beauty. Huge crags jutting up that you can stand on and gaze across the countryside with a big open sky, waterfalls downstream and between ciffs that you can wade through to find secrets, etc. I said it earlier and I'll say it again, this is simply pure classic fantasy with an old school charm. If you love that sort of thing, then it will hardly feel 'generic.'

There was one quest where I had to crawl through a dungeon. It was nothing mindblowing really, but in the end I found this book by a corpse. I read it and it mentioned something along the lines of: ''something hideous is crawling through the cave. I can still hear it'' That did made me feel kind of anxious.

bodine1231

Actually, I think the might class is probably the best suited for those situations. Relentless Assault completely negates the pesky interruptions and you can just wail on them with full combos as you please.

But allowing you to cancel block/parry mid combo would allow for more skillful interactions. I'm speaking more towards of when you land the perfect block into slowmo. You should be allowed to do that anytime,not a full block. If you miss the slowmo block you get hit,if you time it right you should be able to continue your combo. I think it would add a bit of skill to the 2H combat and make it flow better. I'm only 27 Might so maybe it gets different later on.

ElyrionX

Umm, at level 7 I stumbled into Haxhi. I think that area is meant for higher level characters. I found it challenging but doable and ended up leveling really fast and finding gear that far exceeded what I was carrying at that point.

EDIT: Now, I'm reconsidering going back to finish the sidequests in the early areas since the rewards in terms of loot and xp are going to be pretty underwhelming compared to the areas further out. Any advice, anyone?

JambiBum

So when crafting things, what allows you to be able to craft gems into them? I have the ability to do it, but I only have a couple of items that let me. Does the core component have to be a certain quality to allow it?

I didn't realize until about 7 or 8 hours in that the lighter portions of the world map have the same shape as areas on the local map. It makes understanding the layout of the world much easier. :p

But allowing you to cancel block/parry mid combo would allow for more skillful interactions. I'm speaking more towards of when you land the perfect block into slowmo. You should be allowed to do that anytime,not a full block. If you miss the slowmo block you get hit,if you time it right you should be able to continue your combo. I think it would add a bit of skill to the 2H combat and make it flow better. I'm only 27 Might so maybe it gets different later on.
Yep, I completely agree. And it's that lack of "snappiness" that I think it's a bit off to compare the combat to the likes of God of War.

I remember hearing the devs explaining it as wanting the players to "commit" to moves, but really, I think that should apply more to the spells and high-end abilities, not to the regular melee attacks. The startup time on the animations are way too long for some weapons, even if they are meant to be slow.

So far my biggest complaint (outside of the game-breaking bug I hit early in the game) is only being able to access 4 abilities at a time on the console versions. I'm not a designer, but since Down on the Dpad isn't being used, why not just put the Item Access toggle there and use L2 to access another group of 4 abilities? Seems like a weird oversight to give us access to so many good abilities and then not maximize your controls to let us use them.

JambiBum

So far my biggest complaint (outside of the game-breaking bug I hit early in the game) is only being able to access 4 abilities at a time on the console versions. I'm not a designer, but since Down on the Dpad isn't being used, why not just put the Item Access toggle there and use L2 to access another group of 4 abilities? Seems like a weird oversight to give us access to so many good abilities and then not maximize your controls to let us use them.

Don't forget that if you are using sustained abilities that you can just map them, use them, and then map something else in that spot. Saves some space that way.

Been mentioned a couple of times on this thread but it has to do with memory constrictions on the consoles that prevents more abilities because the abilities use a lot of effects.

scy

So when crafting things, what allows you to be able to craft gems into them? I have the ability to do it, but I only have a couple of items that let me. Does the core component have to be a certain quality to allow it?

You cannot use certain Gems for certain equipment; you'll never be able to craft an Epic Gem into a non-Chest slot or a Weapon Gem into an Armor slot, for instance.

Klyka

Banned
MI8Hd.jpg

Just found some new Faeblades :D

JambiBum

You cannot use certain Gems for certain equipment; you'll never be able to craft an Epic Gem into a non-Chest slot or a Weapon Gem into an Armor slot, for instance.

Well shitttt. I just made all of these epic gems and now I find out that I can only use one at a time? Boooo.

Wallach

Been mentioned a couple of times on this thread but it has to do with memory constrictions on the consoles that prevents more abilities because the abilities use a lot of effects.

Not sure which of their guys gave that explanation, but it doesn't make a lick of sense. Sounds like bullshit to me.

scy

Don't forget that if you are using sustained abilities that you can just map them, use them, and then map something else in that spot. Saves some space that way.

Just to note that if you do this, be sure to go back some time to reapply those buffs. When you add skill points to their skills, they don't update retroactively. Buffs currently applied don't increase when skill points are added.

Not sure which of their guys gave that explanation, but it doesn't make a lick of sense. Sounds like bullshit to me.

Makes sense for Active ability limit in concurrent use ... but not for mapping them. But the delay from casting to acting again should handle that issue, I'd imagine. Unless there's some weird ass property to having the skill mapped vs not-mapped.

Regardless, it should be an option for PC users with a 360 controller. Come on, I hate having to accept some Active skills will just be throwaway points for builds due to a four mapped ability limitation.

JaseC

Just spent a good 3-4 hours clearing out Ettinmere, save for the one structure and one area that are locked with their individual keys. 14 hours in so far.

How peculiar, since...

Perhaps the devs thought that people would not see the point in backstabbing packs of wolves because they are with so many and so did not implement the damage multiplier for backstab stealth attacks. In all honesty I can understand them. The only enemies I backstab are giant enemies or humans.

...a successful stealth attack should result in the benefits of a stealth attack, regardless of enemy type. "We didn't bother attributing stealth attacks to lesser, more common enemies such as wolves" is, if the case, a flimsy justification at best. Patch it in, I say!

Just spent a good 3-4 hours clearing out Ettinmere, save for the one structure and one area that are locked with their individual keys. 14 hours in so far.

How peculiar, since...

...a successful tealth attack should result in the benefits of a stealth attack, regardless of enemy type. "We didn't bother attributing stealth attacks to lesser, more common enemies such as wolves" is, if the case, a flimsy justification at best. Patch it in, I say!

I've been backstabbing wolfs works fine for me....

scy

...a successful tealth attack should result in the benefits of a stealth attack, regardless of enemy type. "We didn't bother attributing stealth attacks to lesser, more common enemies such as wolves" is, if the case, a flimsy justification at best. Patch it in, I say!

Faeblade superiority then! No special animation so it always applies!

:x

JaseC

I've been backstabbing wolfs works fine for me....

With daggers?

Faeblade superiority then! No special animation so it always applies!

:x

I've yet to find any faeblades that double as a decent back-up weapon. Getting a few heavy hits in with the sword and then switching to the daggers for a quick finisher is decidedly efficient.

JaseC

I believe it is GAF policy that Imgur is basically banned for image hosting here.

Not banned, just not recommended for larger images due to its aggressive compression. Abload and minus are the most popular alternatives. I use the former myself for larger images (i.e. pngs and animated gifs), and the latter for the rare occasion when an image is over 10MB.

Top Bottom