• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Muskweeto

I still laugh thinking about how that guy responds if you tell him he's drunk. The way the VA responds is perfect.

Yeah, he isn't ashamed of his drinking at all, and it makes me laugh thinking that every time you fight with him he's probably plastered.

vaelic

Banned
Just back from 7am to 7pm Reckoning free for all at ESPN.

Couple of things.
1) WE HEAR YOU!!! Some think the game is too easy, we hear ya. Spoke a bit with Ian and a few others and there are a couple of things to remember, some, none, all may apply.
A) Lots of you are doing everything, quests wise, which is awesome, but it appears you might be outleveling your areas. Not your fault obviously, but anyone that watched Day9's epic stream might try what he did:) Run as far east as you can at start:) See how far you can make it, you'll get one shotted not long in:)
B) Nightmare mode may be an option (I CANNOT tell you guys what the team will decide patch wise nor will I ever) but we are 24 hours past launch. As you get into the game, and remember 'just getting out of Dalentarth' means there's about 9/10ths of the world yet to see.
2) SO stoked to hear the game is running with few to no bugs for most, as I have had the same experience, no bugs yet.
3) I am restarting, hard mode, and going Finesse/Sorcery, I have, HAVE to use Chakrams.
4) If you do find a bug please let us know in as much detail as you can.
5) Those of you not getting into the lore, or that want to but aren't feeling it, I would urge you, if you want, to talk and use all the dialogue options with our NPC's and the lorestones, we've put a CRAP ton of the Amalur history in there.
A) I said on our official forums I am playing this game with a steno pad, totally true! I am noting names, and places, monsters etc., just like when I read the Game of Thrones, to keep the lore, and people straight. I am doing that and I own the fargin company. It's that deep and that involved, and that FLESHED OUT! If you are a story lore person, I promise you it's there.

Thanks again for all of you, good comments and bad, we're listening and we'll do what we can to maintain and improve the player experience in EVERYTHING we do.

P.S. Whomever made that keybind mod a few pages back, you're awesome.

Curt

P.S.S. You guys do know that some books in the game can grant permanent skill ups right?
excellent work, Curt. Just please allow us to pull the camera out a bit more. Right now it feels too close to the character.

scy

You like dat ass that much? XD

Naked character run next. Like a boss.

Respec is a good choice for those who want it but... am I the only person who doesn't like using it? Making my character feels "inconsistent." Immediately transforming from a brute warrior to an archmage in a flash seems.... jarring.

Not to mention it reduces value in skills like Blacksmithing. What's there to stop a player to make as much master craft level equipments and then respec the points he/she invested in it to another skill? Makes the whole reward/risk thing in making your choice almost meaningless...

The cost, I guess. It does go up. But it's mostly just inconvenient to do that especially with how many skills you'll end up maxed out at the end of the game.

ReaperXL7

Naked character run next. Like a boss.

The cost, I guess. It does go up. But it's mostly just inconvenient to do that especially with how many skills you'll end up maxed out at the end of the game.

There is your self imposed diffculty :p

Currently I'm running my duelist with no chest armor and I have to be careful in many fights because I've gotten pretty close to one shotted by a beasties.

scy

Full nudity mods incoming?

It's inevitable.

There is your self imposed diffculty :p

Currently I'm running my duelist with no chest armor and I have to be careful in many fights because I've gotten pretty close to one shotted by a beasties.

I'm actually worried about how that kind of run would end up; I'm getting close to one shot territory on some enemies and I'm fully equipped :(

scy

Fuck. How do you guys find SUCH GOOD components? I'm dying to craft a good Staff.

Disassemble everything!

Depending on how far you are, there's a quest that'll net you a Purple staff component, though I think it's just a Sylvanite-tier quality one and nothing special (Ash, I think?). Quest starts in the
Cradle of Summer

laika09

Where can I get higher level blacksmithing materials? The dropped stuff seems to eclipse anything I can make myself, and I'm salvaging basically everything that's not equipped. (edit: this question was asked and answered in the time it took me to write this post)

Also, can you ever craft stuff with gem slots?

scy

Also, can you ever craft stuff with gem slots?

Yes and no. You'll never get one with a slot but you can craft a Gem right into the item.

Edit: As for better components, it's really just luck. If you get a drop you want to disassemble (i.e., a Level 13 requirement Staff), you can reload the disassemble until you get the core component. A little cheesy, sure, but if you're having issues getting the parts ...

dokish

Banned
Disassemble everything!

Depending on how far you are, there's a quest that'll net you a Purple staff component, though I think it's just a Sylvanite-tier quality one and nothing special (Ash, I think?). Quest starts in the
Cradle of Summer

Thanks, I'll check it out. Oh, and one more thing (this thread its advancing so fast!): I saw a pic of somebody with 100 slots in inventory. How's that work?

Thanks again!

ironcreed

Banned
Just put in nearly 5 more hours and it keeps getting better and better. Currently concentrating on doing the Warsworn faction, along with a ton of other side quests and am loving it all. Yes, I may be out-leveling the areas I am in, but the game is just so damn fun and immersive that I don't care.

It's old school classic fantasy (which is why some probably see it as generic) meets new school gameplay and class system, and the result is the best of both worlds. Not many current gen games have that old school addictive quality beneath all their flash, but this game sure as hell does, and that is what I love most about it.

Anyone know where to buy potions in the first town? sorry for the stupid question i just can't seem to find a vendor that is selling them.

One thing you need to learn how to do in this game is read your map. When you highlight towns on your map with your cursor it will tell you everything available in that town. And while you're in town, on your minimap there will be little icons denoting what's available in each of the buildings. Really helps finding your way.

I still laugh thinking about how that guy responds if you tell him he's drunk. The way the VA responds is perfect.

"You must be drunk."
"I AM!"

Love that response.

Just was rewarded with my first house. Decked it out as much as possible. I'm playing on hard but not crafting weapons. I'm just using the stuff I can buy or find and I have some great stuff, but some of the fights still can be a challenge. I'm quite pleased most of the time with Hard mode, but I wouldn't mind having an even harder mode to move up to later.

I'm a Battle Mage with most of my points so far in Might, and the ability that makes you immune to interrupts for a few seconds is awesome. It's a must-have if you're a warrior.

scy

Thanks, I'll check it out. Oh, and one more thing (this thread its advancing so fast!): I saw a pic of somebody with 100 slots in inventory. How's that work?

Thanks again!

I've only found three Backpacks so someone needs to share some locations :x

Hobbun

This game looks great and I plan on purchasing it. However, is there anyplace I can purchase at least the Special Edition? I want the map parchment and dice. I've looked on Amazon and Ebay, and all I can find is the standard edition.

scy

Three? I've only found one!

Off-hand, first city then
Ysa
, and then
Mel Senshir
. Basically, check every vendor.

Did you get the one on the storyline quest?
invasion quest , well defense, same thing lol

No? Maybe? I got the three above. All three were purchased. Someone mentioned finding one in the wild which I never found :(

Edit: Wait, what's the starting inventory size? I'm sitting at 100.

Irnbru

Off-hand, first city then
Ysa
, and then
Mel Senshir
. Basically, check every vendor.

No? Maybe? I got the three above. All three were purchased. Someone mentioned finding one in the wild which I never found :(

No yeah, you got that one, actually, I've got the exact same ones you have, lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Day 2 and I'm loving this game more and more! Great lore to delve into!

Unfortunately, I just had my first crash. Fortunately, I save a lot.

ReaperXL7

This game looks great and I plan on purchasing it. However, is there anyplace I can purchase at least the Special Edition? I want the map parchment and dice. I've looked on Amazon and Ebay, and all I can find is the standard edition.

In the ot chief 3rd post also a link to the pre-order page you can only get the special editions from their website.

Irnbru

Well I'm silly, that purple rod thing I found can be turned into a staff, I kept thinking it was a specter because of the shape, holy shit you can make something powerful with this

shaowebb

Are there more houses than the one in Webwood? As soon as the town's leader talked to me he got offed by a spider. Stupid NPC dies and I can't have a house? Bullshit. Please someone tell me there are other houses...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Are there more houses than the one in Webwood? As soon as the town's leader talked to me he got offed by a spider. Stupid NPC dies and I can't have a house? Bullshit. Please someone tell me there are other houses...

THERE IS A ISLAND FORTRESS.... I think

OTIX

Is there any way to abandon quests? Already seeing only grey mobs outside of dungeons and I'd rather not have all these low lvl quests clogging up the list forever.

The reviews stating all the dungeons are "samey" are full of shit. Tonight I cleared out
a huge underground city that appears to be surrounded by water. Walls and ceiling looked like an aquarium. And a huge castle completely taken over by spiders and giant rats.
. The further I get the more I'm bumping up against some pretty damn hard fights if I don't have reckoning available. I'm loving my might-sorcery build with a hammer and burning chakrams.

Luthos

Might get this tomorrow. How does the PS3 version hold up? Just being safe because while I know it was an old demo, it did have some problems.

Pegasos123

I have big issues with soundeffect delay on the ps3

some sound effects in battle and cutscenes play to late.
The game ist awsome but with that delay i cant enjoy the game :-(
i am playing with an optical cabel for sound. I have no issues with other games.

Is there a way to fix it by myself oder is this gonna be patches out in the next patch?

I hope this issue is top priority in the next patch because its imo a big dealbreaker

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The reviews stating all the dungeons are "samey" are full of shit. Tonight I cleared out
a huge underground city that appears to be surrounded by water. Walls and ceiling looked like an aquarium. And a huge castle completely taken over by spiders and giant rats.
. The further I get the more I'm bumping up against some pretty damn hard fights if I don't have reckoning available. I'm loving my might-sorcery build with a hammer and burning chakrams.

They probably gave it the total biscuit 5 hours gameplay review :p

Twinduct

Delivery tomorrow ... I hope.
Fun fact: PS3 and Xbox360 versions was sold out on two of our larger online retailers in South Africa.

shaowebb

Hell yeah arrow combo! Forgot to mention this earlier to Q before I signed off, but I was using the delayed strike launcher thats on the fae blades and a bow. Parried, mashed basic combo, shield canceled into launcher, BOW. Dude was dead quick but I did arrow storm afterwords to feel like I finished him off with Taskmaster or something. I gotta see if this works on those fish people I just found trying to do the next house of ballads quest for *certain items*. If so they got more health and I'll see if I can keep them high enough on fae blade launchers to finish with lightning. If not I'll go full Rocket Raccoon boulder trap loop and huck an ice trap under the dude or try to pick em back up with fae blades again or another shield cancel into something.

We in there Reckoning. Oh we in there.

Muskweeto

No kidding, I usually hate caves in these kinds of games, but I find Reckonings caves to be just as beautiful as the rest of the world. And Curt was right that many of the doors are really cool.

Might get this tomorrow. How does the PS3 version hold up? Just being safe because while I know it was an old demo, it did have some problems.

I can second what Pegasos123 said about the sound delay and I know at least one other person in this thread has mentioned it too. It doesn't happen all the time and it doesn't really bother me, but it is a drag and I can see how others would be bothered by it. Any other problems seem to be in all versions of the game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm impressed, this game is a lot of fun. It seems highly polished, I like the combat a lot, and I'm actually somewhat engaged in the questlines (so far, at least). It looks nice too, aside from the crappy LOD and the lack of AA options. Got some flaming chakrans that are pretty badass, I'm owning some bears with them.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Absolutely fucking love this game. Holy shit. I've got the worst kind of OCD in this game, so I'm doing every god damn quest I get.

Kevtones

The fact that lore is collectible/incentivized is so good.

This game feels like it was made for me. So many instances of my larger or obtuse complaints being addressed. Great, great game so far.

99% of the time I've been LTTP, thetrin has been pimping the game for months :)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Damn.. the comments about it being too easy have put me off but when Curt comes in here and says "we know!" it still makes me feel better, even if they don't patch it. I know for a fact I will buy this game eventually and the main catalyst will have been the communication in this thread.

Is it safe to leave this stuff in the special deliveries chest after I've opened it and taken out the couple things I can actually use right now?

Xater

Damn it is love this game. I got it yesterday and I have already spent 8 hours with it. It grabbed me way more than Skyrim did. Love the combat and the world. Starting out with hard like a ot of you suggested was also a good idea.

Cheska

Damn it is love this game. I got it yesterday and I have already spent 8 hours with it. It grabbed me way more than Skyrim did. Love the combat and the world. Starting out with hard like a ot of you suggested was also a good idea.

This is the kind of thing I want to hear. I've been so iffy about picking up the game, only because of the sour taste Skyrim left in my mouth (I just found the combat so boring), but the environments appear to be lively, and the combat mechanics at least look to be more interesting.

Top Bottom