• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

White are your Standard drops.
Green are your Inadequate drops.
Blue are your very Rare drops.
Purple are your Special drops
Orange are your Set drops.

White = Standard
Green = Infrequent
Blue = Rare
Purple = Unique
Gold = Part of a set

I've found about 15 or 20 unique weapons so far, and 5 or so pieces to a few sets.

I finally found a combo I like, might / sorcery with chakrams and great sword.

That's what I use as well. I might respec to get back the points I put into the staff since i haven't used one in ages.

Salz01

Been playing this for a couple of days now. Still low level, but kind of not impressed with the look of the leather armor. The weapons I'm finding are awesome, but my character is still using the same type of look found in the starting dungeon. I also want a mount. I know there is fast travel, but I think a mount would have been great.

White = Standard
Green = Infrequent
Blue = Rare
Purple = Unique
Gold = Part of a set

I've found about 15 or 20 unique weapons so far, and 5 or so pieces to a few sets.

That's what I use as well. I might respec to get back the points I put into the staff since i haven't used one in ages.

I knew I did mention something wrong. Shame on me huh.

Been playing this for a couple of days now. Still low level, but kind of not impressed with the look of the leather armor. The weapons I'm finding are awesome, but my character is still using the same type of look found in the starting dungeon. I also want a mount. I know there is fast travel, but I think a mount would have been great.

The armor gets better but it will never be as bulky looking as the might armor types.

*Crap double post.

How are some people clocking over the ability upgrade limit? Like having 7 points in Lightning Bolt when the limit is 5 or 6? I'm guessing it's a perk from armor/weapons or learned from a trainer?

How are some people clocking over the ability upgrade limit? Like having 7 points in Lightning Bolt when the limit is 5 or 6? I'm guessing it's a perk from armor/weapons or learned from a trainer?

There's some armor/accessories that give a +1 or +2 to certain abilities, so I guess they go beyond if you have the ability maxed.

scy

+Skills equipment. The cap is +2 over the max of the skill, for the record (or at least I haven't found a way to get over that cap).

moop1167

Anyone know where to get
Amman's Summer Key? I've gotten the other three and opened the appropriate stashes for them, but haven't seen this last one.

Not sure if I really needed to spoiler that but just in case.

Man, I don't know how you can even afford trainers. I'm level 6 and I only have around 6k...and I don't even buy anything, not even freaking potions. I have about 3 points in Detect Hidden hoping to score some more dough around the world. If I ever make use of those basic trainers, it seems like it'll have to be waaaay down the line.

scy

Anyone know where to get
Amman's Summer Key? I've gotten the other three and opened the appropriate stashes for them, but haven't seen this last one.

Not sure if I really needed to spoiler that but just in case.

I want to say it's in a chest in the
House of Ballads
but I honestly don't remember if that's right. It's been a long while.

That or I'm also missing it and just never noticed.

Man, I don't know how you can even afford trainers. I'm level 6 and I only have around 6k...and I don't even buy anything, not even freaking potions. I have about 3 points in Detect Hidden hoping to score some more dough around the world. If I ever make use of those basic trainers, it seems like it'll have to be waaaay down the line.

Later equipment will just vendor for quite a bit and the 15k cost will be practically nothing to you.

That's what I thought, but now I'm sitting pretty on about 75k.

The gold will come and when it does, it comes fast.
that sounds dirty. :p

I want a sagecraft trainer because when I wanted to train blacksmithing earlier, I had outleveled the ability to train at the guy.

jkoch

Combat with 2H weapons is becoming more and more frustrating as the game goes along. The lack of any sort of cancel into either block or roll is annoying as hell. The 2H combos are so slow that when you get surrounded or shot at by archers it stops the combo and is a guaranteed hit on you,this really breaks the flow of battle as well. At least allow us to throw the shield up anytime mid combo.

Playing on hard btw.

I felt that way until I started using Relentless Assault regularly. Have you tried it?

With daggers?

I've yet to find any faeblades that double as a decent back-up weapon. Getting a few heavy hits in with the sword and then switching to the daggers for a quick finisher is decidedly efficient.

Yes with Daggers works very well, they are harder to sneak up on but the backstab animation is basically your char pile driving two daggers into the back of the wolf and does like 1k dmg for me. The best is the sleeping bears tho..you walk up and drive 2 daggers into there soft under belly...quite satisfying.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yes with Daggers works very well, they are harder to sneak up on but the backstab animation is basically your char pile driving two daggers into the back of the wolf and does like 1k dmg for me. The best is the sleeping bears tho..you walk up and drive 2 daggers into there soft under belly...quite satisfying.

Weird. I'm certain the wolves weren't aware of my presence, and I most definitely received a damage bonus to some extent. I'm guessing animals have to be in a certain state for a stealth kill to trigger?

scy

I want a sagecraft trainer because when I wanted to train blacksmithing earlier, I had outleveled the ability to train at the guy.

0-3 Trainer should be in
Ysa
and the 4-6 Trainer is in
Rathir

Edit: There might be a 6-9 trainer for it as well but I don't have access to that entire area yet so I can't say for sure.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
Weird. I'm certain the wolves weren't aware of my presence, and I most definitely received a damage bonus to some extent. I'm guessing animals have to be in a certain state for a stealth kill to trigger?

Make sure you're in range when trying to stealth kill wolves. They tend to walk faster than most animals and it's easy for them to walk out of your stealth kill proximity. Use your rolls to get up as close as possible and then backstab to trigger the stealth kill animation.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Make sure you're in range when trying to stealth kill wolves. They tend to walk faster than most animals and it's easy for them to walk out of your stealth kill proximity. Use your rolls to get up as close as possible and then backstab to trigger the stealth kill animation.

Sound advice, though the ones I'd killed while in stealth mode were feasting on a corpse, so it was just a matter of sneaking up behind them. I'm guessing the game bugged due to my alt-tabbing; judging from my few CTDs yesterday, I'd say the game isn't fond of that. ;)

0-3 Trainer should be in
Ysa
and the 4-6 Trainer is in
Rathir

Edit: There might be a 6-9 trainer for it as well but I don't have access to that entire area yet so I can't say for sure.

4-6 means they can only train you for those skill slots, right?

If that's so, then I'm out of luck; I'll never make it to the 4-6 one before I hit lvl.16.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Your cash will exponentially balloon. I'm at Lvl 13, and I'm sitting pretty at 130k.

Last night I finished off the first three zones' quests, and now I'm cleaning up all the quests in Ettinmere. I don't know what's wrong with me. I can't help but do every quest!

MI8Hd.jpg

Just found some new Faeblades :D

Are those the Shark's Fins? Found those last night, myself.

I'm so glad I invested in Sagecrafting. It's way way more useful than blacksmithing. I think I'm going to max out sagecrafting, lockpicking, detect hidden, and dispelling.

scy

4-6 means they can only train you for those skill slots, right?

Yup; requires a minimum of 4 points to use them and they can't raise you if you're at 7+ (but can at 6). To use the trainers, you're basically going to need some respecs and running around looking for them :/

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I LOVE the feel of the hammers. They may be slow as fuck, but that impact is vicious. I originally was going Greatswords, but the hammers are winning me over. Just feels so right.

Yup; requires a minimum of 4 points to use them and they can't raise you if you're at 7+ (but can at 6). To use the trainers, you're basically going to need some respecs and running around looking for them :/

Grrrr. Oh well, I'll just play normally and use them if I can.

I LOVE the feel of the hammers. They may be slow as fuck, but that impact is vicious. I originally was going Greatswords, but the hammers are winning me over. Just feels so right.

Found a unique one yesterday that looks like the ones the Jottun carry, did 101 base damage and had some bonuses on it.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
What if i already looted all the chest in town before redeeming? because i cant find any chest to open in this town unless its inside a building somewhere

It's not a regular chest. It's named something like Special Deliveries chest and if I'm not mistaken it's marked on your map as well.

smr00

Banned
It's not a regular chest. It's named something like Special Deliveries chest and if I'm not mistaken it's marked on your map as well.
Yeah i just found it, i feel like a complete moron now LOL.

thanks for the help, i had no idea it was in the original town.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Yep. I'm using hammer and long sword right now, and I LOVE the hammer. Sometimes it gets you into trouble if you miss that first hit, but it's killer if you have blink. You can stun someone with storm bolt, blink up to them, and then destroy them with the hammer.

moop1167

I want to say it's in a chest in the
House of Ballads
but I honestly don't remember if that's right. It's been a long while.

That or I'm also missing it and just never noticed.

I think there was one in there, but not the one I am looking for. I googled it but didn't find anything. I want to know because there was some great loot in those things!

Yaska

So just got this to run on my laptop, and ran around with my pure mage 'til I got to special delivery chest. After that it was Shephard armor and chakrams. Holy shit I love those chakrams.

scy

I think there was one in there, but not the one I am looking for. I googled it but didn't find anything. I want to know because there was some great loot in those things!

I think it was Spring that was there then. I'll check to see what keys I have when I get home. Though, not sure if knowing if I have it or not will help me remember where I got it :( Sorry.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Yep. I'm using hammer and long sword right now, and I LOVE the hammer. Sometimes it gets you into trouble if you miss that first hit, but it's killer if you have blink. You can stun someone with storm bolt, blink up to them, and then destroy them with the hammer.

Haha same here! Might/Sorc is making me feel like a real badass. Blink can get me outta trouble if I get outta sync or whiff, and I can also use to get up close after a stun with that lightning. I love the harpoon too so I can pull one away from the pack and beat him a lil bit before his friends catch up.

Dresden

I wish I could take something like Sagecrafting or Alchemy, but my OCD for anything with speech-checks means that I'm maxing out Persuasion regardless of what happens. :lol

I have detect hidden up to 5, Stealth up to 8, and persuasion around 6 or 7.

Oh my. This game is everything I had hoped it to be. It really is a special treat. It just scratches an itch I have had for ages; a more focused 'open world' where everything feels so well crafted, addictive loot-whore system of items and enjoyable combat. More than happy with this.

I am playing it on hard and I feel that this should be the default difficulty it feels 'right' in the way everything is balanced. I really enjoy exploring all the dialogue options to find more about the world.

Nit-picking just so this post isn't gushing with love is the 4 ability limit button-wise on the console version and some of the quests are definitely filler.

This game deserves to do well.

Staab

Is the loot randomly generated or is it mostly hand placed ?
I've been wondering about that cause I was expecting Diablo or at least Titan Quest style looting but it seems to be really limited to:
A) purples (with a special name, ie not random)
B) sets! (very few good ones so far, definately not random)
C) the odd godly green / blue (might be random)
D) items with tons of sockets that you can customize (probably random)

I'm not really seeing that many good random blue items or purple ones that I could socket...

ironcreed

Banned

They are becoming my primary weapon of choice as well. Once I got the timing down it just felt so weighty and satisfying. Add in using Chakrams as my secondary weapon when I need speed, and I am feeling pretty well rounded weapon-wise. Then of course there are the spells for yet another layer of ass-kickery. Might/Sorcery all the way for me on this first play through.

ironcreed

Banned
Oh and I am only in the starting areas that were in the demo. Those further how big/content packed are some of the later zones?

My friend, you will be running into quests and loot so often that it will make your head spin. As for more open? Just wait until you get to the Plains of Erathell. Beautiful big-sky countryside with giant crags jutting up out of the ground to stand on and take in the environment. Nice sense of scale here.

Top Bottom