• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

20 hours in. I was 2000xp removed from Level 20 before I had to quit yesterday. I just realized that I level up each hour.

Such an astonishing game in every way possible. I completed the House of Ballads yesterday and the whole reliving a Song is a wonderful thought out line of quests that I have not seen before.

I do have one negative thing about the armor. I have not once worn a full set of armor because the minute you get 4 pieces another armor piece pops up that is from another set and is 10x better.
This makes hoping for a drop of new pieces of the armor you are wearing kind of cumbersome.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The heavy armors look so awesome..............

If I pair it up with Faeswords/Daggers/Chakrams, will it cause me any problems? I admit, I care more about appearance than effectiveness, hahahaha.

Dresden

The heavy armors look so awesome..............

If I pair it up with Faeswords/Daggers/Chakrams, will it cause me any problems? I admit, I care more about appearance than effectiveness, hahahaha.

Go for a universalist build, then. :p

I wish Finesse gear didn't look so . . . derp early on. That combined with the exaggerated, chest-stuck-out stance that the characters take just make leather gear look comical. One of the reasons why I went finesse/sorcery instead of pure finesse.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Go for a universalist build, then. :p

I wish Finesse gear didn't look so . . . derp early on. That combined with the exaggerated, chest-stuck-out stance that the characters take just make leather gear look comical. One of the reasons why I went finesse/sorcery instead of pure finesse.

The problem with universalist is I care little about the Might skills V_____V

...Just that the heavy armor looks awesome.

If possible I would like to ran with just Finesse/Sorcery skills but while wearing heavy armor. But I might have a problem with armor requirements...?

Decided to test out Faeblades a little more.

Still can not get used to them after using Daggers the entire time. They are fast, yes. They are ideal when fighting groups of enemies, yes. But the complete lack of dodging when in the middle of a combo is bothering me a lot and not to mention that the aesthetics of the feablades on my female rogue is mindblowingly stupid because they completely cover the entire back of my character.

monome

mother of cows!!!

the game has no english voices in the french version.
FUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

65€ burnt into nothingness

Xater

mother of cows!!!

Same here with the German version, but at least this game has a good (German) localization. The one in Skyrim was terrible!

Woo-Fu

Banned
Most of the rogue armors are somewhat subdued. I like it that way, it is how it should be.

W7bXt.jpg

Kem0sabe

Last night i finally managed to finish the quests in ashenvale and moved on to Arathi highlands...

Started the Warsworn quest chain as well as some other side quests, but i suddenly came to the realization that the only way i will ever manage to convince myself to slog through the game´s many shitty quests is to only focus on the faction and main stories, because 80% of the remaining quests are utter crap and should have no place in an rpg outside of mmo´s.

Another thing... now Hard is too damn easy! seriously, did they not playtest this thing and saw that players were godlike when they reached the second game area?

The game feeling to easy has not occured for me as of yet. As a matter of fact I have been in situations, especially with sprites and treshes combined, where I almost died. Those treshes have such a small window of opportunity to succesfully land a strike and then when you finally get there those damn sprites attack you with their charge attack. The last
House of Ballads
had that just to give you an example.

Alienups

First impression was very good. Game looks very charming. Camera isn't perfect but nothing gamebreaking or anything.

Just go the ME3 stuff but it seems a bit overpowered, looks cool though.

First impression was very good. Game looks very charming. Camera isn't perfect but nothing gamebreaking or anything.

The camera grows on you after a few hours. Of course I would prefer if the camera is a little zoomed out but it does not bother me one bit any longer. At times I can understand why they used this camera option because it gives you a little more 'oomph' in the combat sequences. If you are zoomed out too much it always feels like you are watching from an audience point of view.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I think I'm going to re-role my rogue purely for aesthetic reasons. I inadvertently made him look a lot like Ben Bernanke, and it's really been bugging me. XD

Am I the only one who sometimes just stands still and gaze upon the beautiful art design? I caught myself doing that when I did the main quest and I believe everyone knows what I am talking about.
Didenhill did the same for me. Standing across the lake on this jumping platform and overlooking the water with in the distance the village.

Gattsu25

Banned
I think I'm going to re-role my rogue purely for aesthetic reasons. I inadvertently made him look a lot like Ben Bernanke, and it's really been bugging me. XD
I read that you get an item (a mirror?) that lets you change the look of your character in all ways except for Gender and Deity

Can anyone confirm and let me know where you can get this item?

mother of cows!!!

How close to the Belgian border do you live? All our games (at least the ones in Flanders) aren't localized at all. If you're not far, getting 'em there might be an option if you can't import.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I am glad that is not doable with bosses.

Of course not xD, but it is an awesome side thing I can do in dungeons to clear out some guys. I refuse to spend gold on pots. So if I dont craft or loot them. I dont have any :p and eating a hit for half life or so leads me to do other things to get through :p *yay I can do everything!*

Staab

mother of cows!!!

You could just grab an english version of the game via download and use your activated EA account from there, should be the same !

YoThatLimp

Neo Member
Man, this game is gorgeous, I completely love the art style! For some reason the world isn't really sucking me in yet, but I am only ~ an hour in. I just left the temple of fate and met that scantily clad lady for the 2nd time. The combat is great and each weapon set has a totally different feel and rhythm. No matter how hard I try, I am terrible with Great Swords.

My one gripe, which is sort of ridiculous is: What is with the breaking jar sound? So tinny and terrible like a placeholder sound!

ElyrionX

On the PC playing with a 360 controller, I'm finding that trying to pull off my "fire mark" doesn't always shoot off when I hold the trigger in and then press the fire mark button. There seems to be a bit of a delay required between pulling the trigger and pressing the button. I don't notice this on any other spell, just fire mark.

Anyone else noticing this?

(Might happen in all SKUs, but I just notice it on PC)

I think this is happening to me as well. I mapped it to B and I find myself rolling a lot when I want to be casting Mark of Flames instead.

I just realized something.

I have been playing for 20 hours. Did almost every quest available and now I am finally onwards to the first city. The city of Ysa. Those 20 hours are almost the whole of Dalentarth. 20 hours for 2/10th of the entire game.
I still need to pass through Lorca-Rane and The Wolds before I reach the Planes of Erathell. Let us fix this in 25 hours for the whole of Dalentarth to be completed.

I have barely even scratched the surface...

Also can someone please post what the loading screen tool tip says about weapon colors and their rarity?

White are your Standard drops.
Green are your Inadequate drops.
Blue are your very Rare drops.
Purple are your Special drops
Orange are your Set drops.

I also just realized that this is going to be my build for my Rogue:

Finesse
Precise Weaponry I: (Rank: 3 / 3)
Dagger Mastery: (Rank: 6 / 6)
Longbow Mastery: (Rank: 6 / 6)
Shadow Flare: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Assassin's Art: (Rank: 6 / 6)
Precise Weaponry II: (Rank: 3 / 3)
Drawpower: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Envenomed Edge : (Rank: 1 / 6)
Frost Trap: (Rank: 4 / 4)
Arrow Storm: (Rank: 1 / 3)
Inoculation : (Rank: 1 / 5)
Icy Explosion: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Lunge: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Precise Weaponry III: (Rank: 3 / 3)
Smoke Bomb: (Rank: 4 / 4)
Barbed Arrows: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Enduring Agony: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Blade Honing: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Precise Weaponry IV: (Rank: 3 / 3)
Poison Bomb: (Rank: 4 / 4)
Scattershot: (Rank: 6 / 6)
Mysterious Toxins: (Rank: 5 / 5)
Gambit: (Rank: 6 / 6)
Paralytic Poisons: (Rank: 4 / 4)

but that I will still have 5 levels left of points. Envenomed Edge is absolutely worthless since the 15% chance of poisoning does not go up with each upgrade. Innoculation? Worthless since the poison damage is not all that tough to begin with. Faeblades Mastery? Do not use Faeblades so those are worthless points as well. I totally see the point of Hybrid builds now. Some abilities just either do not suit personal needs or are not all that interesting to begin with.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I also just realized that this is going to be my build for my Rogue:

but that I will still have 5 levels left of points. Envenomed Edge is absolutely worthless since the 15% chance of poisoning does not go up with each upgrade. Innoculation? Worthless since the poison damage is not all that tough to begin with. Faeblades Mastery? Do not use Faeblades so those are worthless points as well. I totally see the point of Hybrid builds now. Some abilities just either do not suit personal needs or are not all that interesting to begin with.

Envenomed edge is for giving you stuns on poison damage.

Envenomed edge is for giving you stuns on poison damage.

No. That is paralytic poisons and that gives you the chance to stun poisoned enemies, but since more points put into envenomed edge only gives out more damage and not a better % chance to poison an enemy, EE is absolutely pointless to invest more than 1 point in.

mother of cows!!!

Honestly you should just download an English copy via 'other' means if ya know what I'm saying because that's not fair to you, you paid the 65 bucks already so no harm done.

Daante

Hmm..

So either i can buy the PC version and play this on my 24" 1080p pc monitor with a 360 gamepad on my PC in my bedroom i a chair.

Or i can buy the PS3 version and play in my livingroom on my 50" Kuro tv.

Or i can move my PC to the living room and play on my 50" Kuro tv with the gamepad in my couch (though the tv only supports pc signals in 1376x768 resolution).

Decisions, decisions.. :S

Hmm..

So either i can buy the PC version and play this on my 24" 1080p pc monitor with a 360 gamepad on my PC in my bedroom i a chair.

Or i can move my PC to the living room and play on my 50" Kuro tv with the gamepad in my couch (though the tv only supports pc signals in 1376x768 resolution).

It might sound surprising but I would recommend the PS3 version unless you like the hassle to move your PC to the living room.

Gattsu25

Banned
Hmm..

I use a 46" Samsung TV as my PC monitor.

quartet4

Neo Member
Finally got my copy yesterday and poured seven hours into it. Everything in this game just clicks and works together very well. Although you can plainly see the influence of WoW, Diablo, GoW, and the Elder Scrolls in KoA, and although it doesn't seem to perfect certain aspects like those games did, I'm surprised it took so long for a developer to combine all the juicy fun parts of those games into one epic package.

Finaika

It might sound surprising but I would recommend the PS3 version unless you like the hassle to move your PC to the living room.

Played the PS3 demo and it was fluctuating between 30fps to 60fps.

Is the framerate locked in the final PS3 version?

Wallach

I really lose track of time with this game. Had some decent luck past few hours; found the gloves of a Sorcery set (though I still feel like these low level sets seem nearly pointless), a purple amulet with +1 to all Sorcery skills, and some various new armor pieces. Really enjoying the art direction. Here's a couple shots from tonight, including a solid before/after of my loot drops:

psG3C.jpg

QKin6.jpg

Daante

Yeah thats the thing.. , i dont like to move around my PC, though i am always a sucker for the "superior version" :S

My youngest's 360 pre-order from GAME has turned up early, the jammy bugger! My ps3 pre-order from Zavvi is of course nowhere to be seen.

I was tempted to hide it from him until my copy shows up, but his mother wouldn't let me.

Still hoping he comes home from school with a shitload of homework and can't play the game tonight! Bad dad FTW!

Yeah thats the thing.. , i dont like to move around my PC, though i am always a sucker for the "superior version" :S

There is hardly a superior version with this game. While this game looks amazing with its art design, in a technical point of view this game is not even up to 2008 standards.
Hence the reason why I always firmly believe that superb art design will always defeat hi-res textures and what not.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's ridiculous that, with my Frosted Daggers of 22 damage, I can stealth-kill a gargantuan troll, but not a comparatively paltry wolf.

I really lose track of time with this game. Had some decent luck past few hours; found the gloves of a Sorcery set (though I still feel like these low level sets seem nearly pointless), a purple amulet with +1 to all Sorcery skills, and some various new armor pieces. Really enjoying the art direction. Here's a couple shots from tonight, including a solid before/after of my loot drops:

That is the exact same issue I have with the starting armor sets.

There are sets where I have two pieces from, or sets that I have 4 pieces from. But every few hours the system seems to forget that I need the last piece of the Mercenary armor and it comes up with a whole different set that is again a lot stronger then the one I am wearing. They should have either made the gap between set progression bigger, or set up items that are leveled above you. That alone would have gave us enough time.

Wallach

It's ridiculous that, with my Frosted Daggers of 22 damage, I can stealth-kill a gargantuan troll, but not a comparatively paltry wolf.

You should be able to land backstabs on wolves. Are you saying it doesn't do as much damage or something?

Got my copy today from EB.

So I got to the first village that you get to, and when you redeem the EB pre-order DLC, it gives you
a quest to open a chest.
I thought it only gave you like 3 items.

When I opened it up, there were 61 items in there (some were from a different ME3 promo by the looks of it).

I only just got to the first town, and already my inventory is full, and mostly with epics (purples) :rofl:

EDIT: Does anyone know if you need to keep the demo on your HDD in order to keep the unlocks for Mass Effect 3, or are they tied to your EA account?? I tried seeing if the demo made it's own save file like NFS: Hot Pursuit did, but there's nothing.

Oh man, that 2-hit chakram combo into the staff's blocking attack (that vortex thing) is so seamless, so ridiculous, so abusive.

Those threshers that gave me trouble in the demo while I was trying to sword and board it were now absolutely manhandled by the combo (and on hard). Once I got them in that loop, they never even got another chance to attack. It also maxes out my fate bar lickity split. I was planning on going greatswords eventually, but this is just too killer.

Top Bottom