• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just seems strange to me that he would comment specifically on the possibility of nightmare mode but not comment on potions (given that potions seem to be the number one point of contention here). Anyway I do really appreciate him commenting at all because he is extremely busy and certainly doesn't have to take the time to come here and post.

What is strange? Game has been in the wild for only 48 hours. He's spent almost that entire time on the marketing circuit. I'd be shocked if the "difficulty discussion" with the development staff has been anything more than a basic memo TBD at this point.

Luthos

Hmmm, I was thinking of making a Finesse/Sorcery build, but since the destiny cards for it are split 50/50, does that mean I'm gonna miss out on some higher tier armor? That'd suck if so.

I really prefer the Longsword over the Hammer and Greatsword, the latter are just to slow and I prefer the speed of the Longsword. I'm just worried if the Longswords can compete with the higher damage?

oktarb

Its seems to me this game is all about versatility. Options. So I don't get the potion hate. If you don't like potions then don't use them. I know, I know simple BS answer.

However, I don't like Hammers so I don't use them. I think they're too powerful but I'm not calling for a removal of them. Sell all the health potions you get or is it that the mere existence of them Makes you use them and hence makes the game too easy? We choose not to use items all the time in games. Why are we pretending that potions must be used if they exist. Is it the fact that they're too easy to use and you can't resist

Hell in Diablo 2 I've toasted a few beers to the story "Man for that boss fight I was poppin potions as fast I could and we finally got the fucker down!"

Maybe someone can better explain their hate for the potion mechanic.

Rad Agast

The reviews stating all the dungeons are "samey" are full of shit. Tonight I cleared out
a huge underground city that appears to be surrounded by water. Walls and ceiling looked like an aquarium. And a huge castle completely taken over by spiders and giant rats.
. The further I get the more I'm bumping up against some pretty damn hard fights if I don't have reckoning available. I'm loving my might-sorcery build with a hammer and burning chakrams.

Finished that dungeon today. It was a very interesting place. I just hope the later ones are not so linear. I really was hoping that I get to explore that area some more. Overall, good stuff.

scy

Hmmm, I was thinking of making a Finesse/Sorcery build, but since the destiny cards for it are split 50/50, does that mean I'm gonna miss out on some higher tier armor? That'd suck if so.

Maybe; the highest stat requirement I've seen so far is 36 ... but the weapon equivalent of that is a requirement of 15. So there's a good chance that Level 40 required equivalent Armor would be 100+ points. I may just rush through Detyre so I can get access to better loot since I'm pretty curious about this. That and all of Detyre is probably grey to me anyway.

It's mainly that players shouldn't have to opt out on their end to make something harder. I think the baseline difficulty of the game is okay (could be a bit more HP and damage to deal with and maybe reduced player EXP or something) but it's more that potions overcompensate a bit in equalizing the difficulty.

There's been a few fights where I was basically "forced" into potion spam since every other hit would have been lethal. Even when blocking.

sneaky77

It's mainly that players shouldn't have to opt out on their end to make something harder. I think the baseline difficulty of the game is okay (could be a bit more HP and damage to deal with and maybe reduced player EXP or something) but it's more than potions overcompensate a bit in equalizing the difficulty.

There's been a few fights where I was basically "forced" into potion spam since every other hit would have been lethal. Even when blocking.

You realize you just contradicted yourself right?

Staab

Honestly the difficulty is very encounter based.
I mostly never have even the slightest risk of dying up until a certain boss or something.

Like that boots dude wielding twinblades.
The maid of windamere (sp).
Gnarsh (should have called her "harsh").
The widow etc..

scy

You realize you just contradicted yourself right?

Actually, I just forgot to put back the line in that I deleted :x "I don't think too many people complaining about the difficulty have gotten to some of the harder fights, though." Like I said, I think the difficulty of the enemy/encounter design is fine for the most part; there's been occasions that I was actually forced to use potions otherwise I'd be done.

I'm also not one of the ones complaining much about the difficulty. I'd appreciate it being harder but I'm enjoying the game anyway. That and I don't really get the potion complaint in general; if you had to down potions then it was hard enough to warrant potions. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that way though.

Reckoning mode, on the other hand... That's basically an "I Win" button :/ At the very least, disallow it vs boss class enemies.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Honestly the difficulty is very encounter based.
I mostly never have even the slightest risk of dying up until a certain boss or something.

Like that boots dude wielding twinblades.
The maid of windamere (sp).
Gnarsh (should have called her "harsh").
The widow etc..

aka bosses being bosses? Also limiting potions would teach everyone to block dodge and PARRY the most important skill in the damn game.

oh and

Amir0x

Banned
Man this game is good fun. it's held from true greatness due to its balance oddness and relative simplicity, but the ground work for a great series is here. 8/10 confirmed

oktarb said:
Sell all the health potions you get or is it that the mere existence of them Makes you use them and hence makes the game too easy? We choose not to use items all the time in games. Why are we pretending that potions must be used if they exist. Is it the fact that they're too easy to use and you can't resist

It's simple. Having to arbitrarily put the breaks on a mechanic in the game because it's so unbalanced it's essentially broken is bad game design. it's not confusing at all why people are complaining about the potions. Limiting oneself is supposed to be a personal challenge, usually extended to second plays to just screw around. The core game should be the proper difficulty without having to force all sorts of stops on your abilities

Where and how do I get my house? And how do i respec? I'm 8 hours into the game but havnt done any main story missions, are they tied into it? Last night I decided to move along the main story and ended up getting my ass handed to me by a group of enemies, was suprised since I'm a level 9. This games amazing though, I'm going pure sorcery and having a blast.

Man this game is good fun. it's held from true greatness due to its balance oddness and relative simplicity, but the ground work for a great series is here. 8/10 confirmed

I agree, isn't this BHG first rpg? They have set the foundation for a franchise, and i think will be one of the top wrpg studios.

Mutombo

Hell in Diablo 2 I've toasted a few beers to the story "Man for that boss fight I was poppin potions as fast I could and we finally got the fucker down!"

Exactly. If you didn't have the potions in Diablo 2 you would not be able to kill the bosses. You want the potions and you want to stack them up, but even still, you end up dying a couple of times before the boss is dead.

But if you can NOT die because of the potions it becomes something different, although it might look the same. And even more so that if you need to spam potions in order not to die, I feel the use of potions is a given. The game would be balanced this way (Hey, we're about to fuck you up, but at least you've got your potions). But if you notice you stop caring about potions, or simply stop caring about dying because of the potions, or simply never really use potions, then it becomes a problem which can greatly influence how you play the game.

scy

Where and how do I get my house? And how do i respec? I'm 8 hours into the game but havnt done any main story missions, are they tied into it? Last night I decided to move along the main story and ended up getting my ass handed to me by a group of enemies, was suprised since I'm a level 9. This games amazing though, I'm going pure sorcery and having a blast.

Fateweaver NPCs are for respeccing and you can do it from the very start of the game. The house is from a sidequest in
the city of Canneroc in the Webwoods

Yeah, I hope it sells really well because the sequel should be amazing if they take the feedback into account.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I havent bought a single potion. Waste of gold -.- I got skill trainers and such to pay for.

Oh and anyone having trouble with stealth. Don't forget you can roll in stealth. It makes gaining ground really easy

Finally realized why my daggers have been hitting things like a wet noodle, I was putting points to max out the fineness skills and none in dagger mastery, man what a difference they make. Got to lvl 10 and while I originally thought I'd go fineness/sorcery, equipment requirement reduction and +1 to all skills is a small price to pay for losing blink

Wallach

About the difficulty: I've noticed that the game isn't like most WRPGs that are at their hardest at the outset and get easier as you progress (which I think is one of the most significant flaws of most WRPGs, even the great ones). This game actually gets harder as you progress, and has yet to stop doing so even though I'm still raking in the loot. Not saying it's really getting super hard yet, but I think the first time people find themselves with mages on either side of a room they're going to be glad they can use more than one health potion.

Edit - On a side note, I wish I could change the controls around a bit on controller to the following:

- stealth on LS
- a second set of hotkeys on LT
- block on LB
- sprint on RB
- potion radial on d-pad up
- hostility on d-pad down

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, I hope it sells really well because the sequel should be amazing if they take the feedback into account.

I agree, isn't this BHG first rpg? They have set the foundation for a franchise, and i think will be one of the top wrpg studios.

I think it's BHG's first RPG, yeah. This is exactly the type of game that needs a sequel. A lot of AAA games go into it promising trilogies and I understand that, but a lot of them are poured out and exhausted by the end of their focus tested run. This game has a lot of love, clearly, and there's a lot of great foundational work here. It's clear that given another pass through in a sequel, we might have one of the classics of the gen. As it is here, it's a fun game, certainly not at all unworthy of a purchase... but it's nibbling at the heels of something better, a shadow drifting just ever hopelessly out of sight. I am sure this team is talented enough to reach it.

I think it's a solid 8/10 game, and I am very happy I got it. It is making the time go very very fast.

scy

About the difficulty: I've noticed that the game isn't like most WRPGs that are at their hardest at the outset and get easier as you progress (which I think is one of the most significant flaws of most WRPGs, even the great ones). This game actually gets harder as you progress, and has yet to stop doing so even though I'm still raking in the loot. Not saying it's really getting super hard yet, but I think the first time people find themselves with mages on either side of a room they're going to be glad they can use more than one health potion.

Fuck mages. Multiple mages that blink/teleport in three different directions and then shower you with homing spells? Goddamn. Just ... goddamn.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh....dumped a lot of hours into, his game. I'm a thief archer with blacksmithing.

It doesn't do anything excellent but everything is good.

Love the load times
Love the fights
Love customization

Hope the best is yet to come...

I mean that by GOOD DLC

Make it happen Curt!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
And the main reason I stressed on PARRY was cause well... it straight up negates any damage, even boss damage. Also Glyph parry = amazing, specially the lighting glyphs. Since the DoT on lighting has a chance to stagger

scy

And the main reason I stressed on PARRY was cause well... it straight up negates any damage, even boss damage. Also Glyph parry = amazing, specially the lighting glyphs. Since the DoT on lighting has a chance to stagger

Basically; a lot of bosses that can be blocked will deal too much damage over non-Might build blocking (and probably over them too anyway). Hundred+ base damage swings. Good parrying will get you through that. Plus, some of the off-parry weapon skills are nice themselves. Finally got a chance to use the Faeblade one and it's a nice series of free hits that ends with a staggered target.

Then there's the attacks that just don't give a fuck about your blocking and you're better off just evading it.

Derrick01

Banned
You can't sit near someone who has detected you and have the meter go down. In fact, even being directly behind someone undetected will slowly raise the detection meter. You're basically left to hiding at range until it's completely empty and trying to pickpocket at the earliest moment the prompt appears rather than getting as close as possible to them.

Though, I have unmaxed Stealth so maybe it gets better at higher levels.

I've had a little more success since then although there's some that still give me a hard time. Some of these shops never seem to close and the owner never moves from behind the register so I can't pickpocket her or unlock the chest of goodies behind her since her alert thing stays at max.

Finally had to use a potion. That lizard/scorpion thing in front of the spider castle hit me and it brought me down to half life. Then I did a reckoning and killed it in like 4 hits.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Basically; a lot of bosses that can be blocked will deal too much damage over non-Might build blocking (and probably over them too anyway). Hundred+ base damage swings. Good parrying will get you through that. Plus, some of the off-parry weapon skills are nice themselves. Finally got a chance to use the Faeblade one and it's a nice series of free hits that ends with a staggered target.

Then there's the attacks that just don't give a fuck about your blocking and you're better off just evading it.

I'm not a might build but..... I got the blocking talent for back up :p Needed filler points on something :p

Edit: you prob ment something that had absolutely 0 points in might XD

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Can anyone comment on Jeff from GB's comments about the gaming giving you a ton of warrior loot regardless of spec? Is it true? Or just totally random/luck?

scy

I'm not a might build but..... I got the blocking talent for back up :p Needed filler points on something :p

Edit: you prob ment something that had absolutely 0 points in might XD

Sort of; I more meant the shields themselves. My Finesse shield is only -33 Damage taken and I was still eating like 60-ish damage a hit from the (mini) boss I have in mind (the end of the Main Quest in the
Plains area
).

Can anyone comment on Jeff from GB's comments about the gaming giving you a ton of warrior loot regardless of spec? Is it true? Or just totally random/luck?

Depends; I have a lot of Might spec weapons but I also have an equal, if not greater, amount of Sorcery weapons. I also have like half or more of every Sorcery set and no non-Quest/Unique spawn Might sets and only one or two Finesse non-Quest set pieces at all :|

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm Might/Sorc and I get tons of Fin crap. I think the game is actively putting in stuff based on what you don't have

I doubt that... Games can feel like that at times though. Like I said though loot drop patterns have no effect on me so I haven't really cared at all.

ironcreed

Banned
I tell you what, it is hard to get a game of this size, with this much content, this sort of gameplay and class flexibility perfect. Hell, what game is 'perfect' anyway? Time-tested series' from the usual suspects that stand at the top of the mountain could still use some serious work in certain areas. For their first game as a team and as a new IP, this game is a pretty damn strong offering. It does a hell of a lot more right than it does wrong.

Why didn't he address what seems to be the number one concern; the broken health potion mechanics? Surely adding a cooldown to potions would be easier than implementing a nightmare mode?

hard or nightmare mode cooldown only. to hell with cooldown across the board, you want Dark souls, go play it, please stop trying to ruin the game for those who are just having fun.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
hard or nightmare mode cooldown only. to hell with no cooldown across the board, you want Dark souls, go play it, please stop trying to ruin the game for those who are just having fun.

LOL pots were broken in dark souls as well. I look at it this way, if you are having to chug pots all day on hard and complaining about it. Maybe hard isnt for you. Go play normal or stop getting hit :p

I just did a bounty board quest for the Warsworn near Webwood (level 12) where I had to kill 4 ogres. They were all level orange and all a pain in my f***ing ass. People saying this game is easy on Hard can shove it.

Irnbru

There is a boss that you can't really use reckoning on, for those that say it makes things too easy

It was bad too, because I pop'd reckoning, and the bastard had a shield that protected him ><

LOL pots were broken in dark souls as well. I look at it this way, if you are having to chug pots all day on hard and complaining about it. Maybe hard isnt for you. Go play normal or stop getting hit :p

i wondered why your reply was so confusing, i editted it, i don't want an across the board cooldown.

Wallach

I just found some purple 2H Greatsword (called Frostbite if you're curious), and since I'm a mage I don't plan on keeping it, but I thought I would take it out for a spin just since I haven't played with one yet. I'm not sure what that other guy was talking about, but it is clearly possible to roll or dodge in the middle of every attack except the finishers, exactly like all the other weapons.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Finally, tomorrow. Going to roll my Rogue and get classy with dat sneak.

This is what I'm doing. Definitely focusing on playing as a sneaky Rouge, as I usually do in WRPG's. I like to eliminate my foes methodically and with precision, rather than brute force or magic. I haven't fully grasped all the character building stuff, though, so I'm not sure what to put my points towards. On that note, is it possible to sneak-kill friendly NPC's without being in hostile mode? Cause I'm pretty sure I killed one of those monk dudes who was fiddling around in the forest. Oh well, not my problem. Can't wait to get back to this tonight.

gehrig38

Why didn't he address what seems to be the number one concern; the broken health potion mechanics? Surely adding a cooldown to potions would be easier than implementing a nightmare mode?

Because I can't write a line of code if my life depended on it anymore.
And because the folks that WILL address anything like this have to work for me, and be productive. Doing that and doing "What I want" can be polar opposites.
I am asking for, but certainly understand if you guys choose not to, you guys to trust me that where and when comments are made without F bombs and you sucks involved, and are meaningful to your experience, we listen, and we WILL act.
It won't be a 24 hour turn around, those of you that know how this stuff works understand why and all I can say to the others is that we do NOT have carte blanche to do what we want when we want, where we want.
We have to work with our partners and they with theirs, and where we can improve on the game you spent your money on, we absolutely will.
We're 48 hours or so post launch, and you guys represent the bleeding cutting edge of gamers, the upper 1/2% really. Most of you anyway.
You're far more engaged, far more outspoken, and far more involved than many others, enough so to create an account here, wait for authorization, and then routinely post.

You are a companies best and worst nightmare:) You are instant feedback, which I can't begin to describe the value, at the same time the harshest critics, which for me is fine, i played 10 years in Philly, 5 in Boston, and beat the Yanks in NY, I've heard far worse.

But I have a team, and believe it or not it's comprised of humans:) They have emotion, they care, and by relation I care deeply about them.

So I post, and will continue to, because they can't, they're busy for the most part, and I need them to understand AS LONG as we give every ounce of effort and talent we have to make the best game we can, I have their backs, as I don't even have to ask if they have mine.

So ya, we hear ya, and we'll do whatever we can to make what we think is the best RPG ever, better, but we'll be responsible and smart about it, and very cautious in doing so.

Top Bottom