• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

JambiBum

If I remember right, the Persuasion trainers are in
Rathir for another 0-3
and
Adessa for the 4-6
. I'll see if I can make a list off memory since I'm planning to do a run through to find them all for a respec soon anyway.

When you respec can you go to a trainer before you use your points? I'm tempted to try that out but I'm not really sure how it works.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hmm, I could have sworn I've already looted everything in there, but I'll have to double check.

There's definitely a key there. Not sure which season, though. Thought it was summer. If not, I don't remember where I got the key. :(

I don't know, its not even hard on hard. I haven't even used a potion for like the last 3 hours of play. I'm only like level 5.

I'm lvl 13, and I just used a whackload of potions on an encounter. I'm playing on normal. I dunno dude.

I don't know, its not even hard on hard. I haven't even used a potion for like the last 3 hours of play. I'm only like level 5.

That is indicative of nothing. I'm level 12 and just got butt-reamed by a normal mob out in the open near Erritmere (or something like that) and lost an hour of game time.

Kevtones

I could be wrong, but I thought I remember someone saying you don't get the higher achievements for switching the difficulty mid game. Basically if you want the Hard achievement, you need to start on Hard from the beginning.

Arggggghhhhhh! :(

Maybe I'll just play through twice and not buy anything else this year (except Xenoblade and Risen 2).

scy

When you respec can you go to a trainer before you use your points? I'm tempted to try that out but I'm not really sure how it works.

You can. You can't spend just some of your points though, which makes some of the process a little awkward when you have a lot of skill points to redistribute.

Anyway, list as best I can remember:

Alchemy:
0-3: Ysa
0-3: Emaire
4-6: Rathir

Blacksmithing:
0-3: Shieldring Keep
4-6: ?! I want to say there is one but this it's not ringing a bell.
7-9: Mel Senshir

Detect Hidden:
0-3: Gorhart
4-6: Sun Camp

Dispelling:
0-3: Adessa

Lockpicking:
0-3: Lorca-Rane (not in a city, should be outside the Star Camp, not inside it).
0-3: Tirin's Rest / Part of the Warsworn, oddly enough, questline; I think you need to resolve the quest involving him before he's usable.
4-6: Adessa

Mercantile:
0-3: Star Camp
0-3: Detyre, first area coming from The Sidhe; can't remember the name :/
4-6: Moon Camp

Persuasion:
0-3: House of Ballads
0-3: Rathir

Sagecrafting:
0-3: Ysa, twice if I recall, though you can just use one of them, not both.

Stealth:
0-3: Star Camp
0-3: Moon Camp

There's another 7-9 trainer I know of in
Mel Senshir
but the trainer doesn't say what it's for and I didn't have the skill necessary to train it; I'm also assuming the
Blacksmithing one in Mel Senshir due to a similar issue (too much skill rather than not enough) ... but she's there working the forge so it makes sense

Anyway, I think those city/location names are right. There might be more in Detyre but I've only just started doing it besides the stuff in one of the faction locations there and the main city.

The starting area is easy, even on hard. Once you progress to different zones, you'll start facing tougher enemies.

The concept of tougher enemies is an annoying one in this game. It typically comes down to enemies that aren't staggered by your basic attacks and that stagger you with every single attack they do, forcing you to employ cheesy hit and run tactics with the clunky dodge rolling and blocking.

The biggest thing that holds the combat back in this game is a lack of forward progress on making basic melee attacks. It reminds me of the combat in Jade Empire where the most favorable styles to use were the ones with some reach to them. It makes me want to play Batman again where I can (unrealistically) jump 30 feet across a room and kick someone in a face in a manner that gives me a stiffy every time. So much better than this clunky shit where I have to run up to the enemy every single shitting time to hit them with a melee attack.

10 hours in and I've respecced three times, planning on doing a fourth respec, from Sorcery to Sorcery/Might.
How does the fee work for respecs? Does it increase every time or is it dependent on level/cash?

Arggggghhhhhh! :(

Maybe I'll just play through twice and not buy anything else this year (except Xenoblade and Risen 2).
Does one achievement/trophy really mean that much to you?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is there a reason you can only use a 1-3 trainer once? Kind of pointless to have someone who will bring you up to 3 but only trains you one time.

scy

How does the fee work for respecs? Does it increase every time or is it dependent on level/cash?

(Level * 256) * (Number of Respecs); first and second respec both use Number of Respecs as 1, before someone points out it would be a free first one.

I actually haven't checked to see if it holds true at all levels but that's what it looked like at lower levels.

Is there a reason you can only use a 1-3 trainer once? Kind of pointless to have someone who will bring you up to 3 but only trains you one time.

Probably because you'd need absolutely no skill points to max some skills then. 0-3, 4-6, 7-9 and then the Skill Book would mean 10 points and that is before racial bonuses. Would also kind of make Universalist pretty pointless.

Hawk269

I reset the difficulty to Hard and aced my first battle. I saved and quit. The next day i kept getting my butt handed to me so I switched back. After that normal mode wasn't so "easy" anymore. I dunno what happened but it changed somehow. I went back to the starting area of the game and it was way more balanced than it was before? Maybe I'm just imagining things.

You are not. I posted a while back that I got the 360 version..used the same character, same build on hard and died 3 times before getting to the 1st town. On the PC version, I played 7 hours have not died once and on teh same difficulty.

I also noticed in the small cave behind the waterfall when your first come out of the tutorial dungeon when I played on hard on the PC version there were only 2 rats to fight, on the 360 on hard there were 5 of them. I also found chests harder to open and the same for the glynth ones. Not sure what is..but it is weird.

Hawk269

anyone bought the add on's available on xbox live? worth it?

I bought the finese ones and yes, they are worth it..but depending on your playstyle (if you do alot of exploring) you will eventually find better gear, but for me 3 hours later and I am still using the finese gear I bought.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm kind of failing at stealth in this game. I don't know if it's just a more demanding system than an elder scrolls game or if it's bugged, but when I sneak in a town and someone sees me the "alert" icon doesn't go away if I go behind them. I have to actually leave the area, like go behind a wall in another room.

It makes pickpocketing hard because if it's someone who isn't moving (say, a shop owner) and has their back facing a wall it's virtually impossible for me to get there without being spotted.

You are not. I posted a while back that I got the 360 version..used the same character, same build on hard and died 3 times before getting to the 1st town. On the PC version, I played 7 hours have not died once and on teh same difficulty.

I also noticed in the small cave behind the waterfall when your first come out of the tutorial dungeon when I played on hard on the PC version there were only 2 rats to fight, on the 360 on hard there were 5 of them. I also found chests harder to open and the same for the glynth ones. Not sure what is..but it is weird.

I think the number of mobs is random. I played the demo numerous times on PS3 and 360 and the number of rats and wolves at the start constantly changed.

Hawk269

Curt or anyone from the Dev team...

Any reason why PC gamers are getting screwed out of the Day 1 paid DLC? I know for 360 and PS3 users they can buy 3 different Armor sets for each talent, but PC gamers (that want to buy them and GIVE YOU MORE MONEY) are not given this opportunity.

I beleive someone from here posted the same question on the official forums and it was ignored with no response or a courtesy "we will look into it" reply.

Hawk269

I think the number of mobs is random. I played the demo numerous times on PS3 and 360 and the number of rats and wolves at the start constantly changed.

I think you are right because in the demo sometimes when you go near that 1st cave in the starter area at times there were 5 wolves, other times there were only 2. I wonder if this randomness is causing some to say hard is hard while others think it is easy.

For me, I know that I had a much harder time and like I said, I died 3 times because there seemed to be more enemies and when they are in groups it is harder to fend off.

scy

I'm kind of failing at stealth in this game. I don't know if it's just a more demanding system than an elder scrolls game or if it's bugged, but when I sneak in a town and someone sees me the "alert" icon doesn't go away if I go behind them. I have to actually leave the area, like go behind a wall in another room.

It makes pickpocketing hard because if it's someone who isn't moving (say, a shop owner) and has their back facing a wall it's virtually impossible for me to get there without being spotted.

You can't sit near someone who has detected you and have the meter go down. In fact, even being directly behind someone undetected will slowly raise the detection meter. You're basically left to hiding at range until it's completely empty and trying to pickpocket at the earliest moment the prompt appears rather than getting as close as possible to them.

Though, I have unmaxed Stealth so maybe it gets better at higher levels.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Any reason why PC gamers are getting screwed out of the Day 1 paid DLC? I know for 360 and PS3 users they can buy 3 different Armor sets for each talent, but PC gamers (that want to buy them and GIVE YOU MORE MONEY) are not given this opportunity.

I beleive someone from here posted the same question on the official forums and it was ignored with no response or a courtesy "we will look into it" reply.

PC is still stuck in last gen.

Grinchy

Banned
After finally trying out the chakrams, I have to use them. I actually have them set up as a secondary right now. They are so much cooler and more practical to me than the sceptre. Now I have to re-spec to get those sceptre points back.

Squill

Neo Member
After finally trying out the chakrams, I have to use them. I actually have them set up as a secondary right now. They are so much cooler and more practical to me than the sceptre. Now I have to re-spec to get those sceptre points back.

I feel like such a bad ass using chakrams. I started to put points into them just because of how much I love using them.

Dresden

I had good luck with smoke bomb -> pickpocket.

Hawk269

Are people suggesting to start on Hard difficulty to avoid massive overleveling, or does that not really solve anything?

Yes. If you do alot of side quests, especially early in the game, you can easily outlevel mobs and make it even easier than it is now. I know some think that it is fine, but the more people post it seems like Hard is more like Normal in other games. Also, if you like to explore alot you can also out-level the areas since you will find alot more loot and alot more high level gear that makes you overpowered.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Don't remember his name. The main dude there you have to talk to in order to join them.

The guy in front of the throne? You have to talk to two guys to join them. :\

I can't pickpocket anyone in Shieldring. It doesn't give me the option. Even in stealth, I can only talk to them. What's your secret?

scy

Yes. If you do alot of side quests, especially early in the game, you can easily outlevel mobs and make it even easier than it is now. I know some think that it is fine, but the more people post it seems like Hard is more like Normal in other games. Also, if you like to explore alot you can also out-level the areas since you will find alot more loot and alot more high level gear that makes you overpowered.

There's a loot level quality cap so unless you go to different regions (i.e., Plains or Detyre while still doing Dalentarth Main Quest wise) you won't actually find "better" loot despite the level gain difference. The loot caps on them are pretty low (it's like level 10 equipment for Dalentarth and 14 for Plains/Detyre) anyway while the level caps for most areas are higher (Ettinmere goes up to 18 and the dungeons scale into the 20s).

So technically speaking, leveling more makes things harder since loot scales slower than enemies do. Until they con grey, anyway, then it's probably moot.

gehrig38

I do not have an answer to be honest.

I'd argue with 'screwed' but that wouldn't likely change your mind. This is a many partner deal here, and as such there are more people at the table that must be happy with how the business end of this game works.

My guess would be deal structure as it relates to the digital platforms, Origins and Steam, but no, I do not have details and it's pretty likely that if I did I'd not be at liberty to share them.

Apologies in advance if that's not s suitable answer, but atm it's all I have.

Hawk269

I do not have an answer to be honest.

I'd argue with 'screwed' but that wouldn't likely change your mind. This is a many partner deal here, and as such there are more people at the table that must be happy with how the business end of this game works.

My guess would be deal structure as it relates to the digital platforms, Origins and Steam, but no, I do not have details and it's pretty likely that if I did I'd not be at liberty to share them.

Apologies in advance if that's not s suitable answer, but atm it's all I have.

lol..yeah perhaps "screwed" was a little harsh on my part. I guess when we see gamers on PS3 and 360 given the opportunity to buy these DLC items it makes it a little worrying about future DLC...especially the 2 forth-coming ones that the videos were leaked. Now if we as PC gamers dont get to buy those, then I think I might use something much stronger than "screwed".

Once again, thank you Curt for at least responding. We all appreciate the dedication you have towards your game, company and most of all the community.

Riggs

Banned
Just back from 7am to 7pm Reckoning free for all at ESPN.

Couple of things.
1) WE HEAR YOU!!! Some think the game is too easy, we hear ya. Spoke a bit with Ian and a few others and there are a couple of things to remember, some, none, all may apply.
A) Lots of you are doing everything, quests wise, which is awesome, but it appears you might be outleveling your areas. Not your fault obviously, but anyone that watched Day9's epic stream might try what he did:) Run as far east as you can at start:) See how far you can make it, you'll get one shotted not long in:)
B) Nightmare mode may be an option (I CANNOT tell you guys what the team will decide patch wise nor will I ever) but we are 24 hours past launch. As you get into the game, and remember 'just getting out of Dalentarth' means there's about 9/10ths of the world yet to see.
2) SO stoked to hear the game is running with few to no bugs for most, as I have had the same experience, no bugs yet.
3) I am restarting, hard mode, and going Finesse/Sorcery, I have, HAVE to use Chakrams.
4) If you do find a bug please let us know in as much detail as you can.
5) Those of you not getting into the lore, or that want to but aren't feeling it, I would urge you, if you want, to talk and use all the dialogue options with our NPC's and the lorestones, we've put a CRAP ton of the Amalur history in there.
A) I said on our official forums I am playing this game with a steno pad, totally true! I am noting names, and places, monsters etc., just like when I read the Game of Thrones, to keep the lore, and people straight. I am doing that and I own the fargin company. It's that deep and that involved, and that FLESHED OUT! If you are a story lore person, I promise you it's there.

Thanks again for all of you, good comments and bad, we're listening and we'll do what we can to maintain and improve the player experience in EVERYTHING we do.

P.S. Whomever made that keybind mod a few pages back, you're awesome.

Curt

P.S.S. You guys do know that some books in the game can grant permanent skill ups right?

This is why I bought this game. Dude cares.

Uh, holy shit - where did the last seven hours disappear to? This damn game, lol. So addictive.

I'm playing a Duelist (Might/Finesse) at the moment, with a long sword and fae blades, and my only real complaint so fa is a lack of opportunities to use the stealth kill moves. Too often enemies encountered (especially in dungeons) will be positioned facing you.

JambiBum

Uh, holy shit - where did the last seven hours disappear to? This damn game, lol. So addictive.

I'm playing a Duelist (Might/Finesse) at the moment, with a long sword and fae blades, and my only real complaint so fa is a lack of opportunities to use the stealth kill moves. Too often enemies encountered (especially in dungeons) will be positioned facing you.

Detect hidden upgrade lets you see which way they are facing on your mini map. Allows you to wait for them to turn around that way.

Neverfade

Just got an email welcoming me to Amalur and to go join the forums over at EA.

ibyrdRlOOibDp5.gif

excuse my ignorance but how do you add gems to weapon slots? cant seem to figure it out at all.....

It can't be done through the menus, you have to go to a Sagecraft station (usually one in each town) and select the option to add gems to sockets.

JambiBum said:
Detect hidden upgrade lets you see which way they are facing on your mini map. Allows you to wait for them to turn around that way.

Oh excellent, better start adding more points into detect then.

Hawk269

So would I:)

LMAO!! Wow...this coming from the head of the company!!!

I bought 2 copies for my family Curt...We are all loving the game..issues with difficulty and all (a little easy..had to plug that one more time)....

Anyways, as always it is so appreciative that you come on here and post and give us your feedback as well. Thank You!

ReaperXL7

Why didn't he address what seems to be the number one concern; the broken health potion mechanics? Surely adding a cooldown to potions would be easier than implementing a nightmare mode?

Probably the same reason he does not usually answer most tech or code related question. He not a developer and he does not like talking for them when it comes to what they are doing code/patch wise. Atleast that's the way it seems to me. We don't even know what this new nightmare mode would entail, and I suspect screwing with the current difficulty levels would piss people off, better to leave the current ones alone and make a new mode for people seeking super difficulty.

He actually did, not speciffically about the potions but about the difficulty in general, which I take as looking into the potions as well. It is on this page, someone quoted his response, it is post #3784.
Good point, I think you're right. The potion issue is covered by the broader difficulty issue.

Sothpaw

Probably the same reason he does not usually answer most tech or code related question. He not a developer and he does not like talking for them when it comes to what they are doing code/patch wise. Atleast that's the way it seems to me. We don't even know what this new nightmare mode would entail, and I suspect screwing with the current difficulty levels would piss people off, better to leave the current ones alone and make a new mode for people seeking super difficulty.

Just seems strange to me that he would comment specifically on the possibility of nightmare mode but not comment on potions (given that potions seem to be the number one point of contention here). Anyway I do really appreciate him commenting at all because he is extremely busy and certainly doesn't have to take the time to come here and post.

scy

The difficulty itself is more-or-less fine; the issue is that potions are too good at circumventing it entirely. Still, I've had enough fights on my playthrough that I'm not entirely sure I could do without Potion use. Should make the next playthrough very interesting when I try to do that.

Nista

Just seems strange to me that he would comment specifically on the possibility of nightmare mode but not comment on potions (given that potions seem to be the number one point of contention here). Anyway I do really appreciate him commenting at all because he is extremely busy and certainly doesn't have to take the time to come here and post.

If you guys are really interested in balance issues like potions and such, you're better off posting on the Reckoning forums where it's more likely you'll get a direct answer from devs or mods.

Having all the versions of the game, I don't feel like I'm missing out on much in PC by not having those three gear DLC packs. I'm sure they will resolve those issues by the time the two awesome, worthwhile DLC packs are released.

I'm still trucking along with my JoaT Alfar. I'm never going to get anywhere in the world since I always tend to do the sidequests first. :) Part of me wants to rush towards the end because I know there's something amusing to unlock after the main quest is over...

I've ended up wearing Might armor with faeblades and chakrams as my main weapons so far.

popokarimu

Neo Member
The biggest thing that holds the combat back in this game is a lack of forward progress on making basic melee attacks. It reminds me of the combat in Jade Empire where the most favorable styles to use were the ones with some reach to them. It makes me want to play Batman again where I can (unrealistically) jump 30 feet across a room and kick someone in a face in a manner that gives me a stiffy every time. So much better than this clunky shit where I have to run up to the enemy every single shitting time to hit them with a melee attack.

Shield Bash kinda helps with this. If you charge it up it has a decent running distance on it and will stun an enemy. Good for closing in and cancelling an enemy attack if you time it right. It doesn't have the ridiculous inactive period right after that the demo version had either.

Top Bottom