• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Xander51

Once I crossed the 7 hour-or-so mark, the difficulty evened out a bit and I'm enjoying it even more now. This is a great game, worthy of the pedigree that produced it.

EDIT: Oh hey yeah there's that DLC for PC. Nice to see it go up so quick after fears that it was only going to be on consoles.

gehrig38

I do appreciate the comments guys, but what you are playing and doing is 110% because of this sick ass insanely talented team.
So while I DON'T speak for the engineers, what I do know and do think about a potential increase in difficulty would be to create a new mode, above the current ones.
MANY MANY MANY of the players are enjoying the hell out of the shipped modes, be it normal or hard (I myself am going to start a new game tonight on my PC, on hard mode, going sorcery).
So if we can manage it, and in timely fashion, I'd think we'd aim to introduce a newer higher level.
And quite honestly I would LOVE to, at the same time, introduce a world wide contest for main quest completion on said hard mode:)
Just thinking out loud....

Grinchy

Banned
I think the tip about maybe not doing every single sidequest in an area before moving on helps with the difficulty "issue." I find myself fighting orange enemies all the time now and it's the perfect level of challenging (hard mode). I am doing full sorcery and a strong enough enemy can tear me apart.

I've played the game for 10 hours now and I love the fact that my next stop on the main quest is so far away from where I've explored. There's literally so much to see and do, it's impossible not to get sidetracked by factions and miscellaneous quests, and I'm sure it'll be at least another 10 hours before I progress the main quest any further.

Also, the lore is so very rich in Amalur. I'm loving reading all the books I'm finding/obsessively searching for along the way, and hearing the history of the world from the NPC's who, for the most part, seem very well voiced, not outstanding, but competent, believable and, importantly, VARIED. In regards to the depth of the lore, I'm getting a serious Morrowind vibe here. As soon as I get to that huge city at the top of the map I'm hoping to find a huge-ass Vivec-esque library for me to read through.

scy

So if we can manage it, and in timely fashion, I'd think we'd aim to introduce a newer higher level.
And quite honestly I would LOVE to, at the same time, introduce a world wide contest for main quest completion on said hard mode:)

I would be down for some kind of race to the finish :x

I think the tip about maybe not doing every single sidequest in an area before moving on helps with the difficulty "issue." I find myself fighting orange enemies all the time now and it's the perfect level of challenging (hard mode). I am doing full sorcery and a strong enough enemy can tear me apart.

I think my next playthrough will be no Potions, no Reckoning, and only doing a handful of side quests that are right there with the Main Quest. See how that works for me.

...but I actually like the side quests so I dunno :/

gehrig38

FWIW apologies to you PC players who did NOT have access to the console DLC that was available at launch, but it is now available...

Weapons & Armor Bundle Pack Includes:
Reckoning Sorcery Bonus Pack

Equip your hero with a unique selection of Sorcery-enhancing gear. Includes the unique armor set "Pensive Robes", a unique helm, talisman, and three unique weapons to boost your magic attack damage, magic resistance, and mana regeneration skills.

Reckoning Might Bonus Pack

Equip your hero with a unique selection of Might-enhancing gear. Includes the unique armor set "Vigilant Mail", a unique helm, shield, and three unique weapons to boost your damage resistance, health, and attack damage.

Reckoning Finesse Bonus Pack

Equip your hero with a unique selection of Finesse-enhancing gear. This pack includes the unique armor set "Imminent Armor", a unique helm, shield, and three unique weapons to boost your critical attack damage, evasion, and stealth skills.

oktarb

FWIW apologies to you PC players who did NOT have access to the console DLC that was available at launch, but it is now available...

Equip your hero with a unique selection of Sorcery-enhancing gear. Includes the unique armor set "Pensive Robes", a unique helm, talisman, and three unique weapons to boost your magic attack damage, magic resistance, and mana regeneration skills.

Equip your hero with a unique selection of Might-enhancing gear. Includes the unique armor set "Vigilant Mail", a unique helm, shield, and three unique weapons to boost your damage resistance, health, and attack damage.

Equip your hero with a unique selection of Finesse-enhancing gear. This pack includes the unique armor set "Imminent Armor", a unique helm, shield, and three unique weapons to boost your critical attack damage, evasion, and stealth skills.

Is there a level range for this gear? If I'm lvl 10 have I out classed it already?

lol51

Loving everything about the game!

Here is my experiences regarding difficulty...

I am ~16 hours in and level 14 - there are some situations (side quest enemy leaders/bosses) which I find myself pot chugging. I can probably avoid those situations completely by using Reckoning Mode more conservatively.... but I try to use it as soon as feasible to maximize my experience gain. Since its my first playthrough - I don't know where the bosses are and when a dungeon ends. It's not really a problem IMO and I am playing on Normal (I play the game the highest difficulty required to obtain the difficulty achievements- otherwise i play as intended).

scy

Dang, I wish I had taken notice that Detyre is a really small area. The faction quests may go to the Plains first but Detyre is a lot shorter of an area time wise. Oh well.

Also, I have nearly 100 slots in my storage of nothing but Unique and Set equipment. I may have to start selling some soon to make room for later stuff... :|

Amir0x

Banned
I do appreciate the comments guys, but what you are playing and doing is 110% because of this sick ass insanely talented team.
So while I DON'T speak for the engineers, what I do know and do think about a potential increase in difficulty would be to create a new mode, above the current ones.
MANY MANY MANY of the players are enjoying the hell out of the shipped modes, be it normal or hard (I myself am going to start a new game tonight on my PC, on hard mode, going sorcery).

That's really a perfect solution in any event. I'd pay a few dollars for a extra hard mode (Reckoning Mode, you could call it), provided you guys went the extra mile and maybe included some difficulty specific loot that you can't get anywhere else or something like that and (just dreaming here) a special ultimate doom boss of some sort which challenged the very best players to try to survive.

Anyway, the team must be exhausted after finally finishing this game, so no rush... it is quite enjoyable as is, even though legitimate problems have been discussed. Nothing to be ashamed about at all, considering the first effort with this whole assembled team.

Side Note: The soundtrack really has me on the hooks. DEFINITELY go with Grant Kirkhope for the next game, if the next game ever comes to be, because it's really good. It just sets the perfect atmosphere.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Oh, neat!

Does that stuff just show up in the treasure chest where I got the Shepard armor?

Klyka

Banned
Damn Curt, I just got to Caer Nyralim and it again shows just what a fantastic looking world you guys crafted.
Seriously, please just tell every single one of your guys that they did great and I love their work!

Oh and after 20 hours of playing I didn't have one single glitch or bug. Nothing. Not even the tiniest amount of texture oddity, AI fuck ups, getting stuck, etc...
Your QA department deserves a medal!

Hawk269

Thank you and already bought!!! More money to you and your team!!!

Prior to buying the DLC I did get a 76mb patch. Any word from the team what this was?

Zel3

Where can I find/buy the best loot for a sagecraft focused character? I did some things and one of the people selling decent equipment is now dead. >_>

I'm loving the game so far, I usually play melee focused characters but this time the magic and magic based weapons are actually fun. :)

Riggs

Banned
I like the reasonable way Curts deals with the unreasonable. Props to him. I also liked that he snuck in a "I beat the Yankees in NY". Suck it, Yankees!

lol same as I am fucking major redsox fan .... always got love for Curt. Wish I could use him in MLB the show, tired of fucking John Lackey!

dokish

Banned
What is this "bonus" slot at blacksmithing? I'm pretty far in the game (16 hours) and NONE of the equipments seem to have some kind of "bonus item" to put in (mage armor, warrior armor, weapons, etc)

scy

What is this "bonus" slot at blacksmithing? I'm pretty far in the game (16 hours) and NONE of the equipments seem to have some kind of "bonus item" to put in (mage armor, warrior armor, weapons, etc_

The 7th point? That lets you craft a Gem into equipment you create. It's basically the same thing as a socket except it's permanent to the item rather than a Gem you can remove.

kitzkozan

Because I can't write a line of code if my life depended on it anymore.
And because the folks that WILL address anything like this have to work for me, and be productive. Doing that and doing "What I want" can be polar opposites.
I am asking for, but certainly understand if you guys choose not to, you guys to trust me that where and when comments are made without F bombs and you sucks involved, and are meaningful to your experience, we listen, and we WILL act.
It won't be a 24 hour turn around, those of you that know how this stuff works understand why and all I can say to the others is that we do NOT have carte blanche to do what we want when we want, where we want.
We have to work with our partners and they with theirs, and where we can improve on the game you spent your money on, we absolutely will.
We're 48 hours or so post launch, and you guys represent the bleeding cutting edge of gamers, the upper 1/2% really. Most of you anyway.
You're far more engaged, far more outspoken, and far more involved than many others, enough so to create an account here, wait for authorization, and then routinely post.

You are a companies best and worst nightmare:) You are instant feedback, which I can't begin to describe the value, at the same time the harshest critics, which for me is fine, i played 10 years in Philly, 5 in Boston, and beat the Yanks in NY, I've heard far worse.

But I have a team, and believe it or not it's comprised of humans:) They have emotion, they care, and by relation I care deeply about them.

So I post, and will continue to, because they can't, they're busy for the most part, and I need them to understand AS LONG as we give every ounce of effort and talent we have to make the best game we can, I have their backs, as I don't even have to ask if they have mine.

So ya, we hear ya, and we'll do whatever we can to make what we think is the best RPG ever, better, but we'll be responsible and smart about it, and very cautious in doing so.

Holy shit, you've got balls (although it's not so surprising given your past job) . :] Most people in the gaming industry can't accept criticism so openly , just ask Dennis Dyack. I think many people associated with a game would be long gone after the release of their game. This deserve a full priced purchase from my part, as I know you guys will improve the game and it sequel.

I'm really digging the game so far, still need to go do the second main quest, got sidetracked by all the quests.
Game is great, visually stunning and lore is blowing my mind. By now, I'm really sinking into the Fae's songs quest, those are really great and could've been naturally a game by itself.

A question for the other players, will I encounter a locker or chest or something where to put my stuff later in the game, or shall I wait for the house quest?

scy

I was SO WAITING for someone to get to this and post it:) Owning your own mine, def a first:)

So disappointed I put Detyre off for second. Damn you guys and your faction quests sending me the other way first!

A question for the other players, will I encounter a locker or chest or something where to put my stuff later in the game, or shall I wait for the house quest?

The house is where you get the storage chest. There's a few other ones in the game but the one from
Canneroc in the Webwoods
is the earliest.

I really need that island fortress... here's a question for you folks, though..

slight web wood spoilers..

If I killed the head of the town (or rather, the guy that wanted to be in control of things) without doing his quest, can I still get the house or did I ruin my chances?

Hawk269

That 72MB patch I just got on steam is for the dlc items?

Trying to find out. Not sure. Weird that it would force you to download something that you have not paid for yet. So based on that, I am not sure if it has anything to do with the DLC.

When I paid for the DLC, it downloaded...this was seperate from the 72mb download when I loaded Steam.

moop1167

Damn, forcing even 4xAA in inspector causes fps to be below 60 on dual GTX 580's. Weird. I feel like the FXAA from the post processing doesn't cut it.

I'm an RPG fan, but it seems like every RPG has issues that really bother me. Mass Effect had awful combat, Dragon Age was just bad all around, Skyrim has a boring art style and awful combat. This game hits all the right notes for me, great combat and wonderful art style are the two big things for me. I picked up this afternoon but have already put two hours into it despite being busy. Can't wait to sink more time into it.

You really do have my respect man. There are people who work in the development community, even quite high up, that post and participate in GAF, and one thing I've learned in my time here is that they can be just as volatile as any other individual. Often, they take poorly to criticism and even take it personally - and it's quite an unattractive feature of these people.

But you're open, detailed, accepting and even ENCOURAGING of criticism - and you do it in a way that is both understanding and with a mind to the complications of the development environment.

Everyone on GAF knows my demand for criticism in the community, and just how important I think it is for the betterment of our hobby. To see someone as high profile as you in the gaming community responding in such a way is extremely heartening. I am going to be supportive of any future games from this company, guaranteed.

I fully agree. My respect for Curt has increased 10 fold. It's great to see an owner/developer actually give a damn, not only about his own game, but that of his team and that of the opinions of the gamers.

I for one will not hesitate to support BHG and any future products.

Do any of the factions conflict with each other? I just realised I'm on the verge of being signed up for 3 factions and would preferably like to know beforehand if I'm going to get kicked out of one for doing a quest for another, Morrowind-style.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn, forcing even 4xAA in inspector causes fps to be below 60 on dual GTX 580's. Weird. I feel like the FXAA from the post processing doesn't cut it.

I don't like the washed out look that comes with the post processing option, so I've been playing without any AA at all and it hurts.

Klyka

Banned
I'm forcing 32x AA, 16xAF and basically everything on a single GTX580 and the game runs at 80-90 fps.
You are doing something wrong or the game has issues with SLI.

Amir0x

Banned
I fully agree. My respect for Curt has increased 10 fold. It's great to see an owner/developer actually give a damn, not only about his own game, but that of his team and that of the opinions of the gamers.

I for one will not hesitate to support BHG and any future products.

It's the type of thing that encourages gamers to be more understanding of the complexities of the game development process, which is needed sometimes because frankly a lot of us don't know what it takes, and we may like a product and think something is bad but not understand the philosophy because the decision or whatever.

In any case, Curt is a case study in how to interact with a hardcore gaming community. So if nothing else, if the game fails it has NOTHING to do with the way he acted. He needs to represent the respectful way a gaming community should be treated, since it's very adult and very A++

Riggs

Banned
It's the type of thing that encourages gamers to be more understanding of the complexities of the game development process, which is needed sometimes because frankly a lot of us don't know what it takes, and we may like a product and think something is bad but not understand the philosophy because the decision or whatever.

In any case, Curt is a case study in how to interact with a hardcore gaming community. So if nothing else, if the game fails it has NOTHING to do with the way he acted. He needs to represent the respectful way a gaming community should be treated, since it's very adult and very A++

Yep I respected him way back in his sox days, even his republican views I disagreed with. But he was a solid player and a good dude so I did not care, he played hard and helped us win a damn WS trophy. He is taking the same attitude with his company and obviously we appreciate it : )

It's not really unreasonable the complaints so far. Most of the complaints are quite rational and realistic, given the nature of the game.

Most here are reasonable. The complaints that "durr it looks like WoW hurrr" add nothing to the conversation. They're not going to patch the look of the game so you feel less like you're in Azeroth at times. If he's reading this forum, he's most likely reading others and there's some really stupid complaints about the game out there and it's clear some people just want to hate it for reasons Curt and his team could never fix (it's not from Japan etc etc).

Now as for the difficulty, I'm not sure how you fix it. There are faction and sidequests that if I didn't chug potions, I was doomed. And at the very same level the main quest line quests were mostly a breeze. It's odd how different the difficulty is from quest to quest. But overall Hard difficulty is a lot of fun to me most of the time.

Klyka

Banned
Just found some Dragon Tooth Faeblades :D

o6VJj.jpg

gehrig38

Most here are reasonable. The complaints that "durr it looks like WoW hurrr" add nothing to the conversation. They're not going to patch the look of the game so you feel less like you're in Azeroth at times. If he's reading this forum, he's most likely reading others and there's some really stupid complaints about the game out there and it's clear some people just want to hate it for reasons Curt and his team could never fix (it's not from Japan etc etc).

Now as for the difficulty, I'm not sure how you fix it. There are faction and sidequests that if I didn't chug potions, I was doomed. And at the very same level the main quest line quests were mostly a breeze. It's odd how different the difficulty is from quest to quest. But overall Hard difficulty is a lot of fun to me most of the time.

IMO if we 'fix' it, you add another level. NO WAY you change in mid stream what players have already dedicated time to.

IMO there is MASSIVE re playability in Reckoning, so for the bleeding edge hard core min maxxers I would think adding a "Insane bleeding out of your eye sockets" level would be a way to encourage masochists of all types to give it a whirl. Be even funner if we could make it a WW competition to complete.

moop1167

I'm forcing 32x AA, 16xAF and basically everything on a single GTX580 and the game runs at 80-90 fps.
You are doing something wrong or the game has issues with SLI.

What compatibility mode are you using? It's obviously not working if you're seeing no performance impact. If you're just doing it through the nvidia control panel then it definitely isn't working (I tried that prior). Turning on 4xMSAA drops me to 50 fps. There are only 2-3 compatibility modes to try in inspector right now that work and they all give similar, crappy results. I know it's working because if I go any higher it keeps dropping.

Just tested through control panel again to make sure... nope, doesn't work.

alphaNoid

Banned
I just wanted to say I love this game. Ever since I quite WoW in 2006, I've been looking for a replacement w/o the subscription. Lots of games have come and gone, but man .. I'll be damned if KoAR feels like a campaign/story based World of Warcraft with the combat of Fable and something like Too Human mixed in.

What a surprise this game is!

IMO if we 'fix' it, you add another level. NO WAY you change in mid stream what players have already dedicated time to.

IMO there is MASSIVE re playability in Reckoning, so for the bleeding edge hard core min maxxers I would think adding a "Insane bleeding out of your eye sockets" level would be a way to encourage masochists of all types to give it a whirl. Be even funner if we could make it a WW competition to complete.

Well, hopefully you find a way to make the "hardcore" happy. I'm really happy with the Hard difficulty. I'm doing all the quests I find and am just enjoying my slow pace. I fully intend to play again with a different build and ONLY doing the main quest to see how hard that is. I'm loving the entire Webwood area. So dark and moody with lots of great uses of elevation and water.

moop1167

Hopefully someone can mod in a cooldown or something to the potions. I think that would make hard mode "hard." I don't necessarily have need for an insane mode or anything like that.

Dead

well not really...yet
Im playing on Hard and while its definitely not crazy difficult, I do still get my ass handed to me just enough for it to be a challenge. Those threshes keep kicking my ass for example :(

Top Bottom