• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

ZZMitch

Well I ended up picking this game up today! I can't wait to get started! It has been so long since I have delved into a loot RPG (or any long single player game really) and this seemed like a great one to start with again.

EDarkness

hard or nightmare mode cooldown only. to hell with cooldown across the board, you want Dark souls, go play it, please stop trying to ruin the game for those who are just having fun.

I was just about to post this very thing. If someone is chuggin' potions like water, then stop getting hit so you don't need them, or simply sell the potions you have and go in without needing any healing. Imposing a limit that affects everyone playing the game just isn't good in my opinion.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Announcing that you are chugging pots and making content easy is pretty much on par with saying you suck at the game.

Because I can't write a line of code if my life depended on it anymore.
And because the folks that WILL address anything like this have to work for me, and be productive. Doing that and doing "What I want" can be polar opposites.
I am asking for, but certainly understand if you guys choose not to, you guys to trust me that where and when comments are made without F bombs and you sucks involved, and are meaningful to your experience, we listen, and we WILL act.
It won't be a 24 hour turn around, those of you that know how this stuff works understand why and all I can say to the others is that we do NOT have carte blanche to do what we want when we want, where we want.
We have to work with our partners and they with theirs, and where we can improve on the game you spent your money on, we absolutely will.
We're 48 hours or so post launch, and you guys represent the bleeding cutting edge of gamers, the upper 1/2% really. Most of you anyway.
You're far more engaged, far more outspoken, and far more involved than many others, enough so to create an account here, wait for authorization, and then routinely post.

You are a companies best and worst nightmare:) You are instant feedback, which I can't begin to describe the value, at the same time the harshest critics, which for me is fine, i played 10 years in Philly, 5 in Boston, and beat the Yanks in NY, I've heard far worse.

But I have a team, and believe it or not it's comprised of humans:) They have emotion, they care, and by relation I care deeply about them.

So I post, and will continue to, because they can't, they're busy for the most part, and I need them to understand AS LONG as we give every ounce of effort and talent we have to make the best game we can, I have their backs, as I don't even have to ask if they have mine.

So ya, we hear ya, and we'll do whatever we can to make what we think is the best RPG ever, better, but we'll be responsible and smart about it, and very cautious in doing so.

But I dont know how hard this would be for you guys to do curt I suggest.

Reversing the Raw heal and the heal over time pots in rarity. Same for the recipe swap them around if possible or just make the straight up heal herb more rare than the HoT herb

Cutting the Regular potion stacks down to 5. Keep the HoT pots at 5 per stack like they are now.

Cut the time in half on how long the HoT pots last.

BALANCE! aka we can listen to people now cry about being two shotted.
Good go play normal.

With regard to potions.. my rule is as follows... if i don't find it in my endless exploration of every nook and cranny of Amalur, I'm not using it.

Thankfully thus far I've found enough potions to keep me alive.. but I'm not out of Dalentarth yet..

Amir0x

Banned
And because the folks that WILL address anything like this have to work for me, and be productive. Doing that and doing "What I want" can be polar opposites.
I am asking for, but certainly understand if you guys choose not to, you guys to trust me that where and when comments are made without F bombs and you sucks involved, and are meaningful to your experience, we listen, and we WILL act.
It won't be a 24 hour turn around, those of you that know how this stuff works understand why and all I can say to the others is that we do NOT have carte blanche to do what we want when we want, where we want.
We have to work with our partners and they with theirs, and where we can improve on the game you spent your money on, we absolutely will.
We're 48 hours or so post launch, and you guys represent the bleeding cutting edge of gamers, the upper 1/2% really. Most of you anyway.
You're far more engaged, far more outspoken, and far more involved than many others, enough so to create an account here, wait for authorization, and then routinely post.

You are a companies best and worst nightmare:) You are instant feedback, which I can't begin to describe the value, at the same time the harshest critics, which for me is fine, i played 10 years in Philly, 5 in Boston, and beat the Yanks in NY, I've heard far worse.

But I have a team, and believe it or not it's comprised of humans:) They have emotion, they care, and by relation I care deeply about them.

So I post, and will continue to, because they can't, they're busy for the most part, and I need them to understand AS LONG as we give every ounce of effort and talent we have to make the best game we can, I have their backs, as I don't even have to ask if they have mine.

So ya, we hear ya, and we'll do whatever we can to make what we think is the best RPG ever, better, but we'll be responsible and smart about it, and very cautious in doing so.

You really do have my respect man. There are people who work in the development community, even quite high up, that post and participate in GAF, and one thing I've learned in my time here is that they can be just as volatile as any other individual. Often, they take poorly to criticism and even take it personally - and it's quite an unattractive feature of these people.

But you're open, detailed, accepting and even ENCOURAGING of criticism - and you do it in a way that is both understanding and with a mind to the complications of the development environment.

Everyone on GAF knows my demand for criticism in the community, and just how important I think it is for the betterment of our hobby. To see someone as high profile as you in the gaming community responding in such a way is extremely heartening. I am going to be supportive of any future games from this company, guaranteed.

EDarkness

With regard to potions.. my rule is as follows... if i don't find it in my endless exploration of every nook and cranny of Amalur, I'm not using it.

Thankfully thus far I've found enough potions to keep me alive.. but I'm not out of Dalentarth yet..

This is me as well. If I didn't find it, I don't use it. I don't spend money on pots. Whatever I have in my inventory is what I use. If I don't find any, then I'm SOL until I do. Means I don't do reckless things because pots are limited at least so far.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm early in on Hard mode and everytime a great new piece of loot shows up I get this aching, sinking feeling that I am dooming the experience and thrill of combat by equipping it.

Not a good scenario to be having in my head that really belies the crux of the game design. I really hope this won't be the case as I delve further.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The potion thing hasn't bothered me yet, but only because I've always had a bad habit of cheesing RPG's by hoarding tons of healing potions. It's just business as usual for me. This is probably why Dark Souls kicked my ass so hard, I didn't have a stockpile of 1000 herbs to bail me out of tough situations.

Nista

Most of the difficulty comments make me wish there'd be modding tools released so GAF could have someone go make the game impossible to please the 1/2% and the rest of us can get back to enjoying the game. ;)

Or you guys need to try playing the game on a laptop in coach during turbulence with crying children in the background like I did. It's much more difficult in a hostile environment where it's hard to hit a potion in time.

spirity

Came across a bug.

In Ettinmere a Ettin Shaman - think it was 'one up' from a shaman though - War Shaman? or something.. attacked with 3 wolves. I moved into the water there to get a better position and got stuck mid-swim. Couldn't move or blink or attack. I respawned after dying and tried to reproduce the bug but couldn't. Most likely was a one off but thought its worth mentioning anyway.

Other than that, great game.

scy

There is a boss that you can't really use reckoning on, for those that say it makes things too easy

It was bad too, because I pop'd reckoning, and the bastard had a shield that protected him ><

I popped Reckoning on a boss and had him teleport away until I cleared the minions. It was pretty hilarious.
Unfortunately, he teleports as part of the fight and not from the Reckoning but the timing was beautiful.

I just found some purple 2H Greatsword (called Frostbite if you're curious), and since I'm a mage I don't plan on keeping it, but I thought I would take it out for a spin just since I haven't played with one yet. I'm not sure what that other guy was talking about, but it is clearly possible to roll or dodge in the middle of every attack except the finishers, exactly like all the other weapons.

That's what I thought too from playing with the weapon. There's a few weapons with awkward timings (Chakrams and their delay on some attacks like Elemental Escape) but that's where Lunge really shines; you can cancel basically anything into a pseudo-dodge and reset a combo while you're at it without dropping an attack. It's my crutch for when I realize I'm screwed and going to eat an attack otherwise.

Most of the difficulty comments make me wish there'd be modding tools released so GAF could have someone go make the game impossible to please the 1/2% and the rest of us can get back to enjoying the game. ;)

Or you guys need to try playing the game on a laptop in coach during turbulence with crying children in the background like I did. It's much more difficult in a hostile environment where it's hard to hit a potion in time.

Or get farther into the game. There are some moments that are pretty rough for me and I'm one of those weird ones who found Demon's Souls/Dark Souls pretty easy overall.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Eh? Demon's Souls?

The last line was a referring to Demon's Souls. My massive stockpiles of healing grass definitely made some of the harder sections a lot easier. Dark Souls had the vial system which limited the amount of healing items you could carry in between bonfire checkpoints, and because of that I didn't always have healing items to bail me out.

edit - ah, caught your edit. Carry on.

Lombaszko

Those who have played for a bit, have you found your inner loot whore satisfied? I love games like Diablo and Torchlight where good gear constantly drops. I tended to loose interest with something like WoW because it was taking me a long time to get better gear.

Tex117

Banned
Yeah, I agree with some of the criticisms, but Im still having a blast playing this game. For my money, that's all that matters to me.

For a first outing, this is outstanding.

Klyka

Banned

This is Curt Schilling giving a fuck.

Giving an ACTUAL fuck.

If I could take just a tiny amount of the fuck he gives, put it into jars and send it to every other developer out there, then we would change the industry for the better over night.

scy

Those who have played for a bit, have you found your inner loot whore satisfied? I love games like Diablo and Torchlight where good gear constantly drops. I tended to loose interest with something like WoW because it was taking me a long time to get better gear.

Hm. I haven't really upgraded some of my gear in awhile but I've also hit the loot plateau for the area due to the amount of leveling I've done in general. I imagine if places are more your level and you haven't done some quests out of order (e.g., I finished one of the faction quest lines before tackling both areas the Main Quest is sending me after) then you'll replace equipment far more often than I have been.

That and it takes quite the quality of drop to beat out my Mastercrafted weapons, though there are Unique drops that will probably be better than what you can craft barring limited circumstances.

I like the reasonable way Curts deals with the unreasonable. Props to him. I also liked that he snuck in a "I beat the Yankees in NY". Suck it, Yankees!

Grinchy

Banned
My game looks like it just downloaded a patch from Steam. I wonder what that's all about.

I agree, isn't this BHG first rpg? They have set the foundation for a franchise, and i think will be one of the top wrpg studios.
I can't tell you how many times I've thought that they have the skeleton in place for an amazing MMORPG.

Klyka

Banned
After 18 1/2 hours played, I am level 18 and have now done every faction and sidequest content I could find in Dalentarth (the very first region).

Guess it's time to finally do the very first mainquest!

My game looks like it just downloaded a patch from Steam. I wonder what that's all about.

I can't tell you how many times I've thought that they have the skeleton in place for an amazing MMORPG.

I'm just glad it doesn't suck so they can hopefully keep making more games. I doubt we know any shipping figures yet?

ElyrionX

Yes. If you do alot of side quests, especially early in the game, you can easily outlevel mobs and make it even easier than it is now. I know some think that it is fine, but the more people post it seems like Hard is more like Normal in other games. Also, if you like to explore alot you can also out-level the areas since you will find alot more loot and alot more high level gear that makes you overpowered.

You seriously need to stop talking out of your ass and shitting up the thread. Have you even played the game?

Reckoning is *NOT* easy on Hard. The only people who have said otherwise are mostly those who have less than five hours in the game and probably using preorder weapons. The game's difficulty ramps up significantly 6 to 10 hours in. Regular mobs can utterly own you if you're not careful and just button mash. This is a goddamn fact. And this is coming from a veteran of action games. No, not the crappy God of War stuff, but DMC, Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta.

Rokam

This game needs transmogrification, found an epic Greatsword with sweet graphics but it was below my current weapon. It was the one with lightning damage on it.

Amir0x

Banned
I like the reasonable way Curts deals with the unreasonable. Props to him. I also liked that he snuck in a "I beat the Yankees in NY". Suck it, Yankees!

It's not really unreasonable the complaints so far. Most of the complaints are quite rational and realistic, given the nature of the game. There are real balance issues in the game relating to difficulty. Nonetheless, Curt does need to be commended for his attitude toward the criticism. He could take it personally, reject it outright, or just ignore it... instead he gives an honest assessment of the critiques and responds with a realistic expectation of what can be done, and he does it with a level of understanding that is quite unusual for members of the game development community who participate on GAF.

I'm not one prone to hand out praise to members of the development community, at least no more than any other segment of the community, so this is real and genuine feeling about his attitude, not some form of hero worship. The guy has the right idea about how to deal with our diverse and dug in community.

Giving an ACTUAL fuck.

If I could take just a tiny amount of the fuck he gives, put it into jars and send it to every other developer out there, then we would change the industry for the better over night.

Yup. Take notes, Denis Dyack.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

You know what? You just convinced me to buy the game at full price instead of waiting for it to hit $40. Kudos on having such a great attitude towards your fans, your staff and your product.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't want an MMO, but this game is just screaming from drop-in/drop-out 2 player co-op.

Yeah that would be awesome. If there were some way to make this same game but with cooperative mechanics, I would be in heaven. That's probably why I keep thinking about an MMO version. After playing DC Universe Online, I really love the idea of action-based MMO combat with the traditional roles (tank/healer/dd/support).

I was going to wait for a price drop but I couldn't help myself. Having a more casual Action-RPG like Reckoning is just what the doctor ordered in my deadline filled world right now.

And I have to admit, I'm loving it. I haven't actually noticed the LOD issues on PC, it runs like a dream, and its damn nice to no longer feel rushed like I did with the demo.

Am currently spec'ed out as Sorcery with a tad of Finesse and am looking to go Chakrams+Fae Blades at some point, focusing on mobility and crowd control with a tad of stealth to help out at times.

The camera is still wonky though and I find myself manually controlling it most of the time, which usually works until you find yourself in close quarters where it will bug out on you regardless. But that's my only complaint so far. The lore is interesting if you seek it out, the combat is fun (on hard), alchemy and smithing are both a lot more more fun to experiment with, and the game is just relaxing to play without completely consuming my soul (like Skyrim).

Kudos to the team! I went from cynical to impressed within a few short hours of playtime.

(please patch the camera though, thanks)

Lombaszko

Awesome! Thanks for the info ironcreed & scy! Sounds great. I don't think my Newegg order has come yet, unless my wife is hiding it from me! Gotta get me some purple loot!

alba

Little is the new Big
I'm having a 72mb update on steam, ohhh... do we get a changelog yet? *runs to check amalur forums*

Carm

You seriously need to stop talking out of your ass and shitting up the thread. Have you even played the game?

Reckoning is *NOT* easy on Hard. The only people who have said otherwise are mostly those who have less than five hours in the game and probably using preorder weapons. The game's difficulty ramps up significantly 6 to 10 hours in. Regular mobs can utterly own you if you're not careful and just button mash. This is a goddamn fact. And this is coming from a veteran of action games. No, not the crappy God of War stuff, but DMC, Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta.

Yea... no it hasn't gotten any harder for me, 28 hours played so far. Mobs are mostly yellow cons/couple oranges occasionally. Didn't run into any greys till i went back and finished off House of Ballads last section. Even then greys went away pretty quick. No, I'm not potion spamming.

Hawk269

Well said. While I dont work directly with the industry (I am on the retail end or it) I know how this stuff works. Being in upper retail management for over 20 years, I have been friends with many developers and even seen how hard some of them work..we are talking 12-14-18 hours of coding. I understand that this stuff cannot happen overnight and I really dont expect that at all.

I like others, just appreciate that we are being heard and yes, Gaf can be really cruel and tough, but at the same time alot of passion about gaming and most of us have been gaming for a very long time and is for most our favorite hobby.

I for one am thankful that you and some of the team are reading and reacting. It is not often that Gaf has a head of a development team listening to our feedback.

BTW...if you need Beta testers for your MMO, I am sure alot of us here would be happy to lend a hand..and as you guessed we will provide alot of feedback both good and bad.

sneaky77

my only issues with the game is mostly the lockpicking minigame which is kinda annoying, and also with the having to fix the equipment, other than that the game so far is been amazing, although I may want to do a main quest eventually since I am still getting distracted by all the other stuff lol although I only put about 6 game hrs so far

It's official Economy Shipping sucks :(
Reading this thread is making the wait so incredibly difficult! Especially since I won't be playing the game until I get the guide and the bonus items from the ME3 demo.

Grinchy

Banned
I was going to wait for a price drop but I couldn't help myself. Having a more casual Action-RPG like Reckoning is just what the doctor ordered in my deadline filled world right now.

And I have to admit, I'm loving it. I haven't actually noticed the LOD issues on PC, it runs like a dream, and its damn nice to no longer feel rushed like I did with the demo.

I was in the same position. I had just played Skyrim for 90+ hours and I didn't know if I really needed another big RPG. I wasn't going to buy it until it was on sale. But then seeing Curt's responses, the discussions, hearing about how they are self-publishing on Steam...I just said screw it and pulled the trigger. It's been an awesome game so far. I'm really impressed!

Hawk269

Announcing that you are chugging pots and making content easy is pretty much on par with saying you suck at the game.

But I dont know how hard this would be for you guys to do curt I suggest.

Reversing the Raw heal and the heal over time pots in rarity. Same for the recipe swap them around if possible or just make the straight up heal herb more rare than the HoT herb

Cutting the Regular potion stacks down to 5. Keep the HoT pots at 5 per stack like they are now.

Cut the time in half on how long the HoT pots last.

BALANCE! aka we can listen to people now cry about being two shotted.
Good go play normal.

For the record and I hope Curt see's this part.

Whatever the team decides to do, I would encourage one thing. Leave Easy & Normal and possibly hard the way it is. Introduce a "Very Hard" with the changes. Some players like the way it is now and may not want any changes...so at minimum, if Easy and Normal are not touched, but Hard is adjusted or an introduction of Very Hard then that would be alot better for most players.

d0c_zaius

You know what? You just convinced me to buy the game at full price instead of waiting for it to hit $40. Kudos on having such a great attitude towards your fans, your staff and your product.

I was pushed over into the "buy it now" zone for pretty much the same reason after teetering on the edge for a bit.

Glad I did. Much like the previews I saw, the game is really a combination of multiple great things. And it's well optimized.

Hawk269

I think I post this every 5-8 pages so here it is again.

For those wanting a price drop, Toysrus.com has the game for $44.99. You can go to any Best Buy and have them price match it for you. Just go the the customer service counter, tell them that it $44.99 at TRU, they will look it up and price match it. That is what I did when I picked up the 2nd copy for my family.

Syrionus

Neo Member
I'm just glad it doesn't suck so they can hopefully keep making more games. I doubt we know any shipping figures yet?

Not that I am aware of bt Curt did say on Day(9)'s interview that the two Gamestops near where he was staying, were sold out. That's a bit promising at least.

Mmmmmmmm I like Hammers :)

Me too. Literally using the Hammer and Chakram for my Paladin playthrough and Chakram and Faeblades for my Sorcerer playthrough.

Hawk269

Giving an ACTUAL fuck.

LMAO...

I say take Curts DNA and his teams DNA, splice it together with the DNA of the boys at CDPROJKT (Witcher 2 fame) and we would have the worlds greatest developer.

Whooter

Giving an ACTUAL fuck.

EAiiT.jpg

EDarkness

I have a question. I got my copy of the game from Amazon and it doesn't have a manual in the case. I didn't think about it before, but now I'm wondering was there supposed to be a manual in the box?

Top Bottom