• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

rockx4

Anyone else think the smart camera could use work? Often times it doesn't turn quick enough or becomes stuck at a certain angle and I have to manually turn it. I seem to constantly be fighting the camera more than monsters

360 controller and pc

Yep, camera could use work, especially during combat with multiple monsters. I'm zipping across the screen and can't see most of the monsters.

Zeth

Playing this game as much as possible for the next 2 days. So pumped. Earlier in the thread somebody said Reckoning is like if Fable and Torchlight fucked really hard and the baby was born premature. That sounds way more enticing than it should to me.

Carm

I'm beginning to think this is a feature of rpgs these days, happened in SWTOR quite a few times heh, well in opposite direction anyway.
3s9TIl.jpg

Muskweeto

I'm loving the fields so much. It's always been my favorite type of landscape in games and in real life, and this game pulls it off SO good.

ElyrionX

One more Faction down. Finished the Scholia Arcana and if somebody does this finale on Hard and doesn't have any trouble (i.e., no Potions at all), I'd love to know their secret. Dear lord...

Rewards are nice though! Spoilers light:
A new house, +15% Fire/Ice/Lightning Damage, +30 Mana, -10% Mana Cost Ring (along with a +10%/+25/-9% one), and a Twist of Fate: +5% Elemental Damage (or Resistance, I went with Damage) and +1 Sorcery Skills.
Damn. I think this may push me towards Shadowcaster for the build. I have so much +Elemental damage everywhere now that I'd be silly to not utilize Elemental Rage somehow!

Wow. Somw sweet loot there. How and where do I initiate this faction quest?

Also, just thought I'd mention that I have respecced into a pure Sorcery build. It's a lot of fun so far. Mark of Flame is incredibly powerful while Ice Barrage is a mixed bag. The Chain Lightning upgrade is incredibly underwhelming though.

this game is like crack

i know all the problems and feel all the problems, but i can't stop playing it. it's tapped into some primordial vein in my mind that is hypnotized beyond repair

Yeah, I haven't felt this way about a game since Borderlands. I recognize it has some issues, but I can't stop playing it.

Just had a marathon session and tore through the House of Ballads quests. Again, anyone that's low level and bitching about difficulty needs to shut up and do some of the hard stuff. That final fight in Ballads was nasty.

scy

Wow. Somw sweet loot there. How and where do I initiate this faction quest?

Should start in
Ysa
and then takes you all over the
Plains of Erathell
. You get four of the ring I mention at varying degrees of usefulness. I don't remember the first two stats off hand though.

Also, just thought I'd mention that I have respecced into a pure Sorcery build. It's a lot of fun so far. Mark of Flame is incredibly powerful while Ice Barrage is a mixed bag. The Chain Lightning upgrade is incredibly underwhelming though.

Yeah, Chain Lightning never really felt all that great :/

Damn just failed 2 quests because the quest I was doing had me murder the quest givers. One i didnt care about because it was a collect quest the other had a story behind it :(

ironcreed

Banned
Too easy my ass. Along with doing a ton of other side quests, I have been doing the Warsworn faction. I did the quest where I had to go find
the locksmith that made a copy of the key to the vaults
and had to face a room full of these cultists that were 4 levels higher than me and were taking huge chunks of health, while I hardly did any damage to them (I know because I got the trophy for beating an enemy 4 levels higher than me). Were it not for the potions, I would not have stood a chance in hell. The game's difficulty is more than adequate once you venture out.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Having stopped in since the demo thread (I think, and not that anybody gives a shit) but this is one of those games I'm just having too much fun with to let internet nit-picking tear down. Skimming the past couple pages, my fears have been unfounded.

GAF loves the game! It's a wonder what good community management (lol BioWare/EA) can do for a game's early reception!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You'll get a storage chest soon enough if do the sidequests in Webwood

Just got that. Sweet!

I am so in love with this game at this point. The difficulty is starting to ramp up a bit and it just gets more and more fun. Still only about 8 hours in, though.

So it's pretty clear to me now that the game has a level range for the outside areas that gets set the first time you enter it, but dungeons all appear to scale to whatever level you are when you enter. I did the House of Ballads at level 15 and the entire area outside was gray/white and the loot was total crap for my level. The second I walk into the castle, loot is at or above my level and all the mobs are yellow and orange. If this continues through to the end, then there will be no issues with difficulty. And I have no problem chugging potions, because some of these fights are incredibly difficult.

Hannar

35 hours in now on the PC version and I'm level 20 and just now leaving Dalentarth. I am loving this game.

Spent about 6 hours with the 360 version, but haven't gotten very far there yet.

Hannar

So it's pretty clear to me now that the game has a level range for the outside areas that gets set the first time you enter it, but dungeons all appear to scale to whatever level you are when you enter. I did the House of Ballads at level 15 and the entire area outside was gray/white and the loot was total crap for my level. The second I walk into the castle, loot is at or above my level and all the mobs are yellow and orange. If this continues through to the end, then there will be no issues with difficulty. And I have no problem chugging potions, because some of these fights are incredibly difficult.

The game has various "bubbles" in which content is scaled to your level at the time you enter the zone for the first time. Those bubbles have a pre set range of something like 20-25, and when you enter, it will set it to the appropriate level based on your current level. So if it is a zone with a range of 20-25 and you enter at 10, it will permanently set at 20. If you enter at 23, it will set at 23. If you enter at 30, it will set at 25, etc.

Wallach

That last chakram move in the Sorcery tree is as baller as it looks. You are free to cancel it with anything at any point during the attack, and it has a pretty large hitbox so you'll tag people with the pain wheel even if they are on the ground instead of being juggled. Now that I have the ice version of blink, I've taken to using it offensively, blinking to the backside into the chakram blink launcher; if you try to hit chakram out of the pain wheel you'll get the delayed chakram move (the evade that launches you back) which you can then cancel out of into a spell.

I think I'm going to get rid of Sphere of Protection until my final Sorcery points. It is seriously annoying; not only is the graphic really in your face with the current camera frame, it constantly acts like it detonates on environmental objects even though it doesn't consume a charge. Nope, nope, nope, fuck outta here thanks. I'll probably swap those into Storm Bolt for the stun or something.

Einbroch

Banned
That last chakram move in the Sorcery tree is as baller as it looks. You are free to cancel it with anything at any point during the attack, and it has a pretty large hitbox so you'll tag people with the pain wheel even if they are on the ground instead of being juggled. Now that I have the ice version of blink, I've taken to using it offensively, blinking to the backside into the chakram blink launcher; if you try to hit chakram out of the pain wheel you'll get the delayed chakram move (the evade that launches you back) which you can then cancel out of into a spell.

I think I'm going to get rid of Sphere of Protection until my final Sorcery points. It is seriously annoying; not only is the graphic really in your face with the current camera frame, it constantly acts like it detonates on environmental objects even though it doesn't consume a charge. Nope, nope, nope, fuck outta here thanks. I'll probably swap those into Storm Bolt for the stun or something.

The final talent in the Sphere of Protection is seriously overpowered. 150+ damage at a RANGE, stuns enemies, doesn't use a sphere...it's so damn good.

Cheska

So basically after hearing impressions from both this thread and a few friends, I picked the PS3 version up today. I JUST started the game, made my character (ugh, cant remember the race, but it's the pirate/rogue) and am still in the first dungeon. Here is something I am already having qualms with: my characters body. I'm playing as a female, and while I believe the facial features are excellent, I'm disappointed I wasn't able to alter my body shape. She just looks soo....big. Like, her body is too tall/big compared to the rest of her, I mean her hands look so manly :( Also, she stands really strangely.

fuuian

Neo Member
Annoying how some of the locations don't get "discovered" in Alabastra. Not sure if that's a bug or working as intended.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Where do the hero store his/her shield, anyway? It looks pretty goofy when the hero pulls out his/her shield to block out of nothingness... and then when you release the block button the shield return back to nothingness!

I sort of hoping at first it would be like Skyrim where there's a shield graphic accompanying the character when the shield is equipped.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I wanted to put some points into stealth abilities, but I'm not sure if it would be all that viable. It seems like most enemies are in packs, and at least one of the group is pointed in my direction as I approach them. Seems like it would be hard to actually find stealth kill situations.

Wallach

I wanted to put some points into stealth abilities, but I'm not sure if it would be all that viable. It seems like most enemies are in packs, and at least one of the group is pointed in my direction as I approach them. Seems like it would be hard to actually find stealth kill situations.

Remember you can roll/blink without impacting your detection at all. A lot easier to set up kills once you know that.

Twinduct

Where do the hero store his/her shield, anyway? It looks pretty goofy when the hero pulls out his/her shield to block out of nothingness... and then when you release the block button the shield return back to nothingness!

I sort of hoping at first it would be like Skyrim where there's a shield graphic accompanying the character when the shield is equipped.

Yeah also wished for some closure with that. Although in the demo once you equipped your primary and secondary weapon, once you get out the menu you have both visible ... until you attack.

Maybe something like this can be added in a patch? :p
(although I imagine it's going to look kind weird having a hammer, faeblades and a shield on your back)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I like that the shield is invisible when you're not using it. I don't want to stare at a shield with legs for most of the game, especially when I never even use it lol. I don't really care that it doesn't make sense, after all I'm carrying like 50 different items, weapons, and armor pieces and I don't see them anywhere.

Wallach

I like that the shield is invisible when you're not using it. I don't want to stare at a shield with legs for most of the game, especially when I never even use it lol. I don't really care that it doesn't make sense, after all I'm carrying like 50 different items, weapons, and armor pieces and I don't see them anywhere.

I'm the same way. I'm a mage though so it makes sense how it is anyway, hold that shit non-mages.

Twinduct

I'm the same way. I'm a mage though so it makes sense how it is anyway, hold that shit non-mages.

yeah the talisman makes sense with this. I think I just wanted a sword/ shield combo tbh. Like a buckler that's on the other hand.

I think my biggest gripe is just the weapons. I would like both primary and secondary to be visible on my char.

ReaperXL7

My solution to the shield thing was to use talismens as it makes alittle more snese considering its magic.it does not protect from hits as well as a shield does, but fits better for me. However I'm also rolling with no chest armor because my character looks awesome without it, very conanish. It is starting to catch up to me though fighting multiple threshers is tough work without the extra protection.

The game has various "bubbles" in which content is scaled to your level at the time you enter the zone for the first time. Those bubbles have a pre set range of something like 20-25, and when you enter, it will set it to the appropriate level based on your current level. So if it is a zone with a range of 20-25 and you enter at 10, it will permanently set at 20. If you enter at 23, it will set at 23. If you enter at 30, it will set at 25, etc.

Yeah, it felt like that. But the dungeons are setting level every time you enter, which isn't a bad thing.

And anyone that says chugging potions is a sign of not being able to play, there's some fights where if you don't do it you're doomed. You shouldn't need to do it while fighting two or three guys straight up, but when you're fighting a boss and there's 10-15 bad guys behind you pounding on you at the same time, all the blocking and rolling around isn't going to help. Chug-a-lug is the way to go.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

The reason behind this is because you can use the shield no matter what weapon you're holding, even if that weapon is two handed, or you're dual wielding.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I think my biggest gripe is just the weapons. I would like both primary and secondary to be visible on my char.

Hahaha yea me too. I spent an inordinate amount of time to make both of them visible again after each fighting. I like seeing both my daggers and bow appear on my character during cutscenes, character, or just general exploring. I am weirdly OCD about this.

The reason behind this is because you can use the shield no matter what weapon you're holding, even if that weapon is two handed, or you're dual wielding.

Yea, but it's just weird and goofy, hahaha. I personally think it would be best if each class had their own "shield" or parrying mechanic, so to speak. Warrior people can carry those heavy steel shield, Wizards with talismans, and Rogue with.....hmmm, maybe two weapon block or something? And maybe lock the sword/shield playstyle with warrior class.

Syrionus

Neo Member
I have just realized something that I have been subconsciously aware of for some time. The way plants wither away after you pluck them. Subtle but that small touch that really brings the environment to that next level. Ok, back to blowing shit up!

Luthos

Unnnngh, just played this all night. Love it so much. It's just so addictingly fun.

Started as a finesse/sorcery hybrid, but decided to respec to pure Sorcery, and love it. The Flame Mark spell is so damn strong. And a kinda unique spell. Better than just a fireball spell or something. The Ice Barrage spell is kinda underwhelming. Hopefully the ultimate Ice spell is nice. But as of now I don't use it much. I stick to a powered up Lightning Bolt and Flame Mark. Wondering if I should really go after the Summon Undead spell. I'm more of a nuker type player than a pet one.

Also, just got my tier 3 Sorcery destiny, and I can now blink. Awwww yeah.

Keikaku

I just fought Gnarsh.

I got her down to about 50% health and activated Reckoning mode. I managed to get the final kill prompt with a second or so to spare and got to 100% XP.

I got 7,700XP from her. Holy shit. I went from being just a shade under level 14 to almost half way through level 14.

That was the first time that hard mode legitimately felt hard but I'm loving this game so far!

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah, Gnarsh was tough and I had wasted my Reckoning meter just before the fight too like an idiot

Rokam

Gnarsh wasn't really a problem for me, but I was level 20 going into it with a full set of gear that gave might +2. The lifesteal ability in might is so overpowered. Finished up all my sidequests, then I stepped foot into Ysa and cried due to the amount of sidequests. The perfectionist in me won't let them go uncompleted.

Anyone in UK buying this from Game/Gamestation/Blockbuster/Supermarket today? If so can you report any deals involving this or if there is any special extras? Tempted to go in and pick it up if there is something good....starting to get fed up with Skyrim!!

Keikaku

Gnarsh wasn't really a problem for me, but I was level 20 going into it with a full set of gear that gave might +2. The lifesteal ability in might is so overpowered. Finished up all my sidequests, then I stepped foot into Ysa and cried due to the amount of sidequests. The perfectionist in me won't let them go uncompleted.
Lol wow.

As I said, I was just about level 14 when I hit her. I haven't done anything in Webwood or Ettinmere (spelling?) as I've only done the Sidhe, Odorath, Glendara, Lorca-Rane and some of Haxhi.

Also, is it just me or does money cease to be a problem? I'm sitting at 185,455 and I've trained at every trainer so far and repairs don't generally run more than 3-4K. I've also got the first backpack upgrade and I've got more than enough for the one that is in Ysa sooooo . . . Am I missing anything that I should be spending money on? I would assume that the house may be expensive to upgrade but I can't imagine that I'd need 150K to spend on it.

Yeah, Gnarsh was tough and I had wasted my Reckoning meter just before the fight too like an idiot

That is a rule I set out for myself. I never ever use Reckoning at the start of each dungeon, cave or castle. So far it worked out because I always had a tough battle in the end where Reckoning mode was needed.

On a side note. I am seriously considering starting over. I absolutely adore my rogue but in the last couple of days I have been playing this game in some state of trance and I missed out on a lot of lore. Yesterday I even caught myself skipping a bunch of sidequests and quickly moving forward to Detyre. That is not the way this game is supposed to be played. I need to take my time with this and enjoy every minute of it and as of late a lot of things can not grab my attention.

So I think my approach is going to be this. Weekend is coming up and considering I am still freezing my ass off when going outside I will stay indoors. Going to start over (on Hard) since I played on Normal for the whole 20 hours. Now the tough choice. I have played Rogue and despite my love for Stealth and daggers 9 out of 10 battles never gave me the feeling that stealth is a necessity and there are 5 abilities in the finesse tree that are absolutely worthless in my opinion.

So I am thinking about either a full sorcery, full might or might/sorcery. Anyone have any experiences with these three and mention which of these three is the most fun and tough?

Rokam

I love that npcs actually recognize that you did shit in the world, be it completing some random side quest or finishing one of the guilds.

Also do titles do anything, besides the Herald announcing me entering a building lol.

ReaperXL7

Lol wow.

As I said, I was just about level 14 when I hit her. I haven't done anything in Webwood or Ettinmere (spelling?) as I've only done the Sidhe, Odorath, Glendara, Lorca-Rane and some of Haxhi.

Also, is it just me or does money cease to be a problem? I'm sitting at 185,455 and I've trained at every trainer so far and repairs don't generally run more than 3-4K. I've also got the first backpack upgrade and I've got more than enough for the one that is in Ysa sooooo . . . Am I missing anything that I should be spending money on? I would assume that the house may be expensive to upgrade but I can't imagine that I'd need 150K to spend on it.

Well to be fair there are supposed to be a bunch of housing options in the game, and ifthey all have multiple upgrades with them I can imagine it will get expensive. I always tend to find money in loot heavy games kind of worthless though so this has not bothered me much.

Rokam

I'm sitting around 500,000 but I don't have to pay for repairs because of blacksmithing. I've yet to unlearn my skills and hit the rest of the trainers though. I spend most of my money on decursing, because dispelling chests is my achille's heel so I just force it.

Keikaku

Well to be fair there are supposed to be a bunch of housing options in the game, and ifthey all have multiple upgrades with them I can imagine it will get expensive. I always tend to find money in loot heavy games kind of worthless though so this has not bothered me much.
It's not bothering me at all and I'm not complaining, I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything. I just don't have anything to spend it on and that feels a bit weird to me.

Playing as a Universalist in general is kind of odd. Every level I'm putting 1 point in each tree and I've got quite an odd group of skills. The chakram and faeblade are my weapons of choice and the Quake/Stomp from the might tree is my spell of choice as it combos nicely out of the chakrams.

I can't wait to do my minimum level play-through on Hard mode my 3rd or 4th time through. Should be fun!

Dresden

Man, did the first Warsworn quest, first quests aren't usually this epic. :lol Loved it. Also that
Niskaru Tyrant
at the end fucking kicked my ass.

My finesse/sorcery bro is doing well otherwise. Chakrams with lightning bolts and frost traps take care of most things, and I go for stealth kills with daggers whenever I can, for fun.

Top Bottom