• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Why didn't I preorder and preload this up? :(

Anyway, downloading now. Looking forward to a finesse person and might have some sorcery for some chakram action. Anything I should know before I start?

mmmm I don't use greatswords much... but that might change...

nylFK.jpg

That is an awesome sword design.

Syrionus

Neo Member
Has there been any word on how many copies they've sold?

As I stated earlier, it is a bit too early to get sales figures. The game just released in the UK today and the US is not even a week into it. However, Curt stated on Day(9)'s stream that both of the Gamestops near where he was staying, was sold out. That's at least a bit optimistic.

derwalde

This game is great!

The Hard-Difficult-Mode is ok for me (till now), cause i dont have a single AoE attack or a spell to crowd-controll. Im using Long- and Greatswords and their range seems very limited, but im fine with that.

Furthermore the game looks stunning with the FXAA Injector, postprocessing disabled and 16xAF via CCC (the ingame AF REALLY sucks).

ReaperXL7

I actually think one of the only things I find that the game is missing is mini games. Would have been pretty cool to get some amalurian card game or something. Give us alittle more to spend our money on. Maybe something they can look at for dlc.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, I haven't felt this way about a game since Borderlands. I recognize it has some issues, but I can't stop playing it.

Just had a marathon session and tore through the House of Ballads quests. Again, anyone that's low level and bitching about difficulty needs to shut up and do some of the hard stuff. That final fight in Ballads was nasty.

If g-spots exist, and I had a g-spot, it'd totally be hitting it right now

Also sucks Shepherd shit ain't cool for my rogue yo

soultron

Banned
I know this is the wrong place to be asking this, or that it should be asked at all, but: Skyrim or KOAR? Please answer only if you've played a considerable amount of both.

ShdwDrake

Banned
I know this is the wrong place to be asking this, or that it should be asked at all, but: Skyrim or KOAR? Please only answer if you've played a considerable amount of both.

I would say KOAR simply because its more fun to play. (15 hrs in to KOAR played 40 of Skyrim).

ShdwDrake

Banned
How are the sidequests? I hope they're not billions of "Kill X ______s and then return to me"/MMO-style or I'm not going near it.

Theyre mostly of them are go get this thing from this dungeon ala Skyrim though. I can only recall one "Kill x" quest but your where trying to get these certain items. Its mostly "go clear this dungeon though. But theres alot of story and lore accompanied with the sidequests also.

Haunted

Also, is it just me or does money cease to be a problem? I'm sitting at 185,455 and I've trained at every trainer so far and repairs don't generally run more than 3-4K. I've also got the first backpack upgrade and I've got more than enough for the one that is in Ysa sooooo . . . Am I missing anything that I should be spending money on? I would assume that the house may be expensive to upgrade but I can't imagine that I'd need 150K to spend on it.
I'm sitting around 500,000 but I don't have to pay for repairs because of blacksmithing. I've yet to unlearn my skills and hit the rest of the trainers though. I spend most of my money on decursing, because dispelling chests is my achille's heel so I just force it.
The economy in this game seems balanced for a character that

1) doesn't have anything invested in mercantile
2) doesn't have anything invested in detect hidden
3) doesn't break any barrels or crates
4) doesn't pick up useless things (to sell them later)

I do all these things and my character has like 400k just leaving the first area. I think I'll respec to scratch detect hidden and mercantile and only pick up what I can immediately use.

I mean, I think most of us reach that point eventually in all RPGs, but I can't remember a game where the economy was broken so quickly.

Keikaku

I do all these things and my character has like 400k just leaving the first area. I think I'll respec to scratch detect hidden and mercantile and only pick up what I can immediately use.

I mean, I think most of us reach that point eventually in all RPGs, but I can't remember a game where the economy was broken so quickly.
Fable 2 with the bartending mini-game. 2 hours of that and I could afford about 1/2 of all the property in the game. After that, it was just a cakewalk.

Midou

I do 2-4 but I still only have like 50k about 6 hours in. I've maybe spent about 100k buying stuff though.

I know this is the wrong place to be asking this, or that it should be asked at all, but: Skyrim or KOAR? Please answer only if you've played a considerable amount of both.

Skyrim because it feels waaaaaaaaaaaaay less confined and dumbed down.

Skyrim knows what it is.

Amalur wants to be two entirely different games.

dokish

Banned
Really sucks that you can't use all "weapon gems" you make in certain types of weapon.

I made a 48 poison damage over 7 seconds gem, and I can't use it while blacksmithing Staff, only daggers, bow, etc. =/

Skyrim knows what it is.

Amalur wants you to have the fun of Skyrim but with an improved God of War type combat system and Diablo styled loot. I say they did a pretty good job.

Midou

Skyrim knows what it is.

They essentially focus on two exact opposites, or at least excel in them.

Amalur is a game about character customization, satisfying combat and loot.

Skyrim is pretty bad in all of the above but has a nice world and exploring is a lot more interesting, things Amalur lacks in.

I am sitting at work and I am still thinking about starting all over. Heck, 99% of my body is in agreement with me that I should just start over with a brand new character but that 1% screams in my body that I will lose 20 hours of playtime.

Decisions, decisions.

dokish

Banned
I am sitting at work and I am still thinking about starting all over. Heck, 99% of my body is in agreement with me that I should just start over with a brand new character but that 1% screams in my body that I will lose 20 hours of playtime.

Decisions, decisions.

Why would you start over? Since you can reset your character (even his appearance).

*Is there a way to map my magic skills (LT) using only the 360 controller, without going into the menu?

(11% experience bonus. Fuck yeah. Love blacksmith)

Why would you start over? Since you can reset your character (even his appearance).

*Is there a way to map my magic skills (LT) using only the 360 controller, without going into the menu?

I mentioned this in a post on the previous page but I missed out on a lot of lore and went into a state of trance, just doing quests without actually thinking. That is why I want to start over. Now to decide which class I should be. Sorcery, Might or the hybrid choice of those two.

Hobbun

I finally tried the demo last night and it ended being a lot longer than I thought normally. Not that it’s a bad thing, although I did get to bed much later than I was anticipating.

I really enjoyed it a lot. The combat was very fun and I was just fine with the graphics. I actually like the colorful backgrounds than the more subdued tone. I didn’t notice it as much in the tower, but outside everything was alive and jumped out at you.

When I was playing in the tower portion, the game ran flawlessly. I couldn’t understand where the bugs and glitches were at that everyone was talking about in regards to the demo. Well, I did find out eventually, basically after talking to Argath. That’s when many things started to go wrong. I could still run around and attack just fine, but I first lost background music, then it was sound effects (no one responded when talking to them, couldn’t hear the crates and barrels exploding, no more footsteps, etc). But the worst was when I would talk to an NPC (who gave dialog options), you not only would not hear their voice, but when you picked an option in the dialog, the text just zoomed by. Meaning, it appeared and then disappeared almost immediately. So I couldn’t even read what it said.

That being said, with all the issues there were, from what I understand the demo was an earlier build and if all these problems are contained only to the demo then I am ok with that. It gave me a good intro the game and I know I will enjoy it.

Oh, another thing, the employee at GS was telling me that you receive some extra items when starting a new game (from the retail version) when completing the demo. However, the demo never asked me to make a save of any sort, so I’m not sure how that information would be taken when I do start up from the full game. Or was the GS employee just wrong?

Daante

Most likley gonna buy the PS3 version today after i finished work.

Does anyone know if the PS3 version runs is 720p? (and not sub HD)

Derrick01

Banned

Did we play the same Skyrim? Or was that your first ES game?

Reckoning is better if only because it's more of a RPG and doesn't have embarrassing loot. I do wish this had more features, like apparently shops stay open all day every day and people don't go to sleep, but I still think it pulls RPG off better than Skyrim.

ttocs

Did we play the same Skyrim? Or was that your first ES game?

Reckoning is better if only because it's more of a RPG and doesn't have embarrassing loot. I do wish this had more features, like apparently shops stay open all day every day and people don't go to sleep, but I still think it pulls RPG off better than Skyrim.

People in towns go to sleep, but you can wake them up. They do have schedules (at least I think they do from observing.)

ParityBit

I'm beginning to think this is a feature of rpgs these days, happened in SWTOR quite a few times heh, well in opposite direction anyway.
3s9TIl.jpg

You know, I was talking to the DR in the first town, and one of the talk options actually moved me to behind the table where I was stuck and could not get out! It was funny, but the first time I was ever actually moved based on a conversation choice.

Derrick01

Banned
People in towns go to sleep, but you can wake them up. They do have schedules (at least I think they do from observing.)

Maybe some do but at least in the first town those shops seem to stay open 24/7. I can go in at 2 am and everyone's in the same place they are at 2 pm, even the guards in the shop.

Wallach

Man, I played the hell out of this today (around 19 hours total now) and I'm still not out of Dalentarth. Found my way into Ysa and it's really fantastic, easily the most impressive locale I've come to yet. Completed the House of Ballads arc and
saved all of the Court of Enchantments
like a fuckin' boss. Found a purple staff on the way that had a weapon gem slot; I'm only a couple points away from maxed Sagecrafting so that thing now does like 122 damage.

Here's me and Gorty doing our best to look hard as fuck so the Brownies know who runs shit in the Sidhe:

N1q8R.jpg

Man, I played the hell out of this today (around 19 hours total now) and I'm still not out of Dalentarth. Found my way into Ysa and it's really fantastic, easily the most impressive locale I've come to yet. Completed the House of Ballads arc and
saved all of the Court of Enchantments
like a fuckin' boss. Found a purple staff on the way that had a weapon gem slot; I'm only a couple points away from maxed Sagecrafting so that thing now does like 122 damage.

Here's me and Gorty doing our best to look hard as fuck so the Brownies know who runs shit in the Sidhe:

All those guild quests were amazing especially the last one.
How are you liking your full sorcery character? Just asking for some advice considering that I am going to start over tonight and it is either going to be Full Might, Full Sorcery or the Hybrid part of them.

The only thing I am afraid of is that I might miss out on full sets of armor if you do not have a full tree.

moop1167

Quick question... if I use a trainer to train up, say persuasion +1, and then respec - does that 1 point in persuasion stick or do I get to re-train it?

Wallach

All those guild quests were amazing especially the last one.
How are you liking your full sorcery character? Just asking for some advice considering that I am going to start over tonight and it is either going to be Full Might, Full Sorcery or the Hybrid part of them.

The only thing I am afraid of is that I might miss out on full sets of armor if you do not have a full tree.

I'm pretty into it, I have very little desire to spec into one of the other trees yet. Chakrams and staff work well together for a mage as they give you a lot of control; staff can pull enemies together or push them out, chakrams can push you away from enemies. I can't say I'm crazy about Storm Bolt even with the stun, but all of the other spells get a lot of mileage and I'm really satisfied with their damage and usability. You just get a stupid amount of ways to control fights on top of excellent damage and a lot of gee-whiz flash. What's not to like?

You get to re-train it since you respec everything and not just your ability trees.

Nah, if you buy a point from a trainer it behaves like your racial bonuses do. You don't get to re-allocate it into a different skill if you use a Fateweaver.

moop1167

You get to re-train it since you respec everything and not just your ability trees.

Okay, so the game keeps track of how many skills you buy from trainers? That doesn't make sense to me, though. So I buy +1 persuasion, then when I respec, I get 1 free point to spend on anything? I assumed the +1 persuasion would stick, but I can respec only the points I used while leveling up on my own.

I have just realized something that I have been subconsciously aware of for some time. The way plants wither away after you pluck them. Subtle but that small touch that really brings the environment to that next level. Ok, back to blowing shit up!

I love that too, but I really love how in some dungeons the plants extend outwards to you as you walk past. The sound effect that goes along with that is great.

Also, is it just me or does money cease to be a problem? I'm sitting at 185,455 and I've trained at every trainer so far and repairs don't generally run more than 3-4K.

That's lucky. My repairs have ranged in the 40-80k range. Probably depends on how many purples and yellows you have to repair. My hammer is a purple and it costs a f***ton of money to repair. Cheaper for me to just buy repair kits to fix that thing.

If g-spots exist, and I had a g-spot, it'd totally be hitting it right now

G-spots exist. They're wherever Snoop Dogg happens to be at any given time.

The PS3 version is better looking than the 360 version.

The demo was. The final is not.

Maybe some do but at least in the first town those shops seem to stay open 24/7. I can go in at 2 am and everyone's in the same place they are at 2 pm, even the guards in the shop.

I went into the Inn at Cannorac last night to sell off all my junk per usual and the entire place was in bed. I had to search all the sleepers until I finally found the woman that buys and sells items upstairs asleep on the floor.

I just got this yesterday for my PS3 and put a few hours in last night. It's very cool and I'm digging it so far. It's one of the few games that have come out recently that I am actually looking forward to getting home from work just so I can play it.

Okay, so the game keeps track of how many skills you buy from trainers? That doesn't make sense to me, though. So I buy +1 persuasion, then when I respec, I get 1 free point to spend on anything? I assumed the +1 persuasion would stick, but I can respec only the points I used while leveling up on my own.

Guess I was wrong. My apologies.

ParityBit

Couple quick questions.

I am making a Finesse/Sorcery mix. I am (of course) going with Chakrams. Would it be better to go Faeblades or Daggers? Or is it more a "pick your poison?" Which in turn leads me to my next question....

Does envenomed edge work on chakrams?

Thanks

Wallach

Couple quick questions.

I am making a Finesse/Sorcery mix. I am (of course) going with Chakrams. Would it be better to go Faeblades or Daggers? Or is it more a "pick your poison?" Which in turn leads me to my next question....

Thanks

Envenomed Edge does work on chakrams. Between those two I'd probably go with daggers as secondary to have something to maul single targets with, but I'm sure either one would work.

Kem0sabe

Went from Arathi to Thousand needles / Barens last night, having fun playing the game, tho i wish enemies wouldnt aggro from half way across the map... sucks having to deal with greyed out mobs every single time you wish to traverse the map :(

Haunted

Couple quick questions.

Thanks
Pick your poison, each weapon has strengths and weaknesses. They did a good job having all 9 classes fairly balanced, I think.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I'm not 100% sure.

Hannar

Put about 110 hours into Skyrim and am at about 40 in KOAR now. I'd go KOAR hands down. The actual gameplay is just significantly better. Thus far, I'm preferring the story in KOAR. Obviously, I like Skyrim, so that's not a downgrade on it.

* Loot a green longsword for 17 physical + 3 ice damage at level 2

* Randomly decide to try blacksmithing for the first time about 15 minutes after

* Easily craft a sword that does 35 physical + 6 fire damage

0_0

Unity2012

I finally finished my work project--Life getting on the way of my gaming; and got to install the game last nite (X360)... and I am "In Love" with it.

Amalur is one beautiful accomplishment. It brings the best of everything under one roof. I was not, and do not, expect it to be perfect; but what I do expect is to be entertained and immersed in its World, outside my real life daily tasks... reason why I still play games. I am not going to dwell in what's not there but what it is, and there is a lot to be said about the good in this project.

There are so many details in this game's world; the way the dungeons are lighted, plants that sprout as they detect movement, atmospheric effects, general lighting, vibrancy, the music, wow the music!, the loot, love the loot! etc., the combat is so satisfying and the features made me anxious to see what I can do/use next!

I hope our community responds as well as the team behind this product.

Thank you Curt--especially for your active participation with the community; and "Thank you" to the amazing team behind this gem.

You have plenty of reason to be proud.

No, I am not sure if you are, I am trying to find out. I just thought your explanation didn't make sense, but I don't know if I am correct either.

The way it appears to work is that when you respec, all the points you bought from the trainers stay in the talents you bought. And then you can re-assign all the points you earned from leveling up wherever you want them. The points you bought aren't just given back to you as free points to spend.

Couple quick questions.

Thanks

I would go for daggers but completely neglect Envenomed Edge and only put 1 point in it. I do not know if there is a flaw or if the developers decided this, but the 15% chance of poisoning remains that way despite putting points into it. It only increases the damage by 5 for each point invested. It is absolutely worthless for now.

No, I am not sure if you are, I am trying to find out. I just thought your explanation didn't make sense, but I don't know if I am correct either.

This is what Wallach said.

Nah, if you buy a point from a trainer it behaves like your racial bonuses do. You don't get to re-allocate it into a different skill if you use a Fateweaver.

So I was wrong.

AEREC

Im not sure what it is but I just can not get into this game and play it for more than 20 minutes before losing interest. Which is odd since I loved the demo.

Top Bottom