• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

gehrig38

I am seeing the same stuff with lorestones, I cannot see a change. My advice, if you are like me, is to click on them and listen to the story before moving on, most of it is pretty cool and interesting, and lore relevant. That's only IF you want to listen to lore and story, if not, click and start running:)

graywolf323

After finishing the House of Ballads faction quest, I moved from really liking this game to absolutely fucking loving it. This is the first faction quest I completed...if the stories for the rest are as good as this one, I'm in for a helluva time.
So what did you guys choose? I decided to rule with her and now everybody in town is pissed, haha. Get used to it, you crybabies.

I
sided with her as well but not so much to rule with her, I just didn't feel she deserved to die, her fate was a crappy one, just wish there had been an option to not kill her but not rule with her either

Rokam

I ran into a pretty funny bug, was running across an area with a group of people I had just freed, and managed to aggro the entire zone, let them beat on me while they all got in range then Reckoning and Wrath'd for the win!

Rommel

I
sided with her as well but not so much to rule with her, I just didn't feel she deserved to die, her fate was a crappy one, just wish there had been an option to not kill her but not rule with her either

I decided to let her live kind of for the same reasons, well that and the coward king pissed me off... like I'm going to let a loser like him be a ruler!

I am seeing the same stuff with lorestones, I cannot see a change. My advice, if you are like me, is to click on them and listen to the story before moving on, most of it is pretty cool and interesting, and lore relevant. That's only IF you want to listen to lore and story, if not, click and start running:)

I love the lorestones, which is why I'm a little upset that the audio dropped off. The story told on the stones in the spider castle was great. What I do now is go into the options menu, then to status, then to lorestones and from there it lets me play them manually. I'm really enjoying a lot of the stories in the game so far.

Oof. Just came across a fix for the issue with the Amazon digital download not being recognized in Origin. Kudos to the shadybrothers on the Reckoning forums who figured this out.

Open up your Amazon download files folder (mine was on my desktop)

Locate and Open Reckoning.zip

Close Origin (Make sure to close it from the task bar)

Unzip or Copy these files into the following directory

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning

If this directory doesn't exist create it and unzip the files in here.

Relaunch Origin and it should say Ready to Install

scy

Don't know the name off hand, but I'll spoiler the location for you so you can see if you get the piece I did
Cradle of Summer, south of the Fae's sitting in a circle, you'll need to be able to see hidden doors

It's placed there on purpose as I got it from there as well
Khas-ti's Helm
. Never found any other pieces for it, however.

What set is this. That makes my universalist drool.

There's an Epic Gem that gives +1 to all skills within the first four tiers (0 points, 5 points, 20 points, and 35 point skills) which is basically fit for Universalist. Top it off with the Twists of Fate for the factions and it's a pretty nice bonus all-in-all.

Also, I mentioned it earlier but not sure if you saw it but it doesn't seem like the +Skills is that big of a deal for Universalist. Seems like you'll be short maybe 5 or so skill points to cap all the skills in the game with no outside +Skills. At least Universalist means you don't care so much about getting all the trainers paid for, I guess, and you'll have max skills earlier than the level cap.

I decided to let her live kind of for the same reasons, well that and the coward king pissed me off... like I'm going to let a loser like him be a ruler!

Just to spoil the other option
you become ruler if you kill the Maid; he deems himself unfit compared to you

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm experiencing a weird issue on PC where once in a while, the game will start slowing down for a second and then speed up again once every 5 seconds or so. And then it'll disappear. Sometimes I have to restart the game to get rid of it.

It's happening more frequently now that I'm getting farther in the game.

I have a decent rig, so this really shouldn't be happening.

It's actually making the game pretty difficult to play.

I'm gonna have to lay off the side quests. I got 12 hrs in and 90% of tha time where side quests. Don't wanna get burned out before the end of the main quest.

I'm only a few hours in, but so far I'm not liking the game's art style. It looks like a generic MMO and it's kind of off-putting. I like the combat though, so it's keeping me interested enough.

Hannar

Man, I just cannot stop playing this game. I'm up to 47 hours on the PC now. It was totally worth taking the week off. I don't know if there's ever been a game I've felt I've gotten more value out of, and I'm hardly through the content yet. I'm only 2-3 areas outside of Dalentarth right now.

The quest system here is amazing. It's not so much revolutionary as it is just a higher quality than what I'm used to seeing in RPGs these days. Even the very few quests that have a mechanic that resembles a "fetch" quest, the lore behind it really makes it seem like the NPC's request makes sense in the game world.

I had a quest tonight where an NPC approached me while I was hunting, drug me off into a dungeon, and tried to manipulate me during multiple conversations to accomplish something he wanted done -- then at the end, I had to make a choice about whether I believed him, or the eventual "boss" of the dungeon. Amazing stuff. When you pair stuff like that together with the combat that is actually fun.... man.....

I'm working up a critique for 38Watch.com -- I've got a long list of things that I think need to be constructively criticized, tweaked, or rebalanced. Some of the skills in particular appear to be broken or unbalanced to the point that some of the player choices are rendered meaningless. But I don't want to go there yet until I've got more notes and complete the game a few times. Complaints aside, I'm very happy with what I've experienced so far.

For you guys playing rogues, if you haven't gotten the Gambit ability yet, make it your #1 priority. I've wasted thousands of dollars on mana potions and extended combat longer than I need to just so I can watch those enemies walk through those mine fields again.

Walked out of Dalentarth this morning and saw this for the first time --- it's the type of thing that really makes you want to explore what's out there in the world.

AlWmmoOCQAAYM5I.jpg:large

And then when I remember how ridiculously cool it is that I've got a Todd McFarlane statue signed by Curt Schilling and a lithograph signed by Ken Rolston for a game in a world created by R.A. Salvatore... sorry for the fanboy rave here. Lack of sleep is a problem. Hopefully a lot of other GAF'ers are enjoying it just as much. As for a few coworkers and family members, they're getting copies whether they know it or not yet :).

AlKFutZCQAE_G6M.jpg:large

I don't know if any of you guys got the destiny cards that came with one of the special editions, but they are one of my favorite things in that set. They are much higher quality than I expected, and much larger. Have to find something cool to do with them.

AlKE7ohCAAAVyKI.jpg:large

Grinchy

Banned
I hope I can take my Sorcery loot luck into my full Sorcery playthrough :| So much caster loot...

I wonder if there is an algorithm in place so that you get loot you "can't use" more often. My full sorcery build almost never finds caster loot but I find amazing purple weapons for other classes.

scy

I wonder if there is an algorithm in place so that you get loot you "can't use" more often. My full sorcery build almost never finds caster loot but I find amazing purple weapons for other classes.

Oh I can use them (Finesse/Sorcery), but I'm more focused on Crit damage so all the Mana regen is kind of wasted on me; I just keep getting Sets for it and there's a lot of quest sets in general (
House of Ballads, House of Sorrows, Scholia Arcana namely
). Plus, some of the Staff/Scepters look really good on paper.

I've been keeping basically every Unique and Set drop I've gotten. It's distributed relatively evenly all things considered. Only thing really lacking in drops have been Bows, I think, but the ones I have seen are really nice.

ReaperXL7

Man, I just cannot stop playing this game. I'm up to 47 hours on the PC now. It was totally worth taking the week off. I don't know if there's ever been a game I've felt I've gotten more value out of, and I'm hardly through the content yet. I'm only 2-3 areas outside of Dalentarth right now. The quest system here is amazing. It's not so much revolutionary as it is just a higher quality than what I'm used to seeing in RPGs these days.

Even the very few quests that have a mechanic that resembles a "fetch" quest, the lore behind it really makes it seem like the NPC's request makes sense in the game world. I had a quest tonight where an NPC approached me while I was hunting, drug me off into a dungeon, and tried to manipulate me during multiple conversations to accomplish something he wanted done -- then at the end, I had to make a choice about whether I believed him, or the eventual "boss" of the dungeon. Amazing stuff. When you pair stuff like that together with the combat that is actually fun.... man..... I'm working up a critique for 38Watch.com -- I've got a long list of things that I think need to be constructively criticized, tweaked, or rebalanced.

Some of the skills in particular appear to be broken or unbalanced to the point that some of the player choices are rendered meaningless. But I don't want to go there yet until I've got more notes and complete the game a few times. Complaints aside, I'm very happy with what I've experienced so far. For you guys playing rogues, if you haven't gotten the Gambit ability yet, make it your #1 priority. I've wasted thousands of dollars on mana potions and extended combat longer than I need to just so I can watch those enemies walk through those mine fields again. Walked out of Dalentarth this morning and saw this for the first time --- it's the type of thing that really makes you want to explore what's out there in the world.

Had to shy away from your pic of the new area :p but I agree entirely. I have gotten so wrapped up in the lore, and characters within the world that I've barely been able to get very far within the world. I'm 16 hours in and i've only barely explored Odarath, Webwood, and Enttinmere. I did get an oppritunity to experience some really fantastic dungeons, Yolvan Castle was amazing, and the atmosphere and lore stones really added to it. Then more recently I went into Dellach looking for an item for a gnome and that was a step beyond even the castle. I'm not sure how to describe it really, it just felt.....awesome. The music in both were also really nice touches that added more to the mix.

I've got a few smaller issues, but i'm waiting to really get into them as there is so much I have yet to do. Also pretty awesome quest in ettinmere
The fishermen who thought that a Lanashee was a Nymph, and decided that he had wanted to marry her, only for her to try and eat his face was pretty classic.
There is alot of really interesting stuff in the world if you like digging into that kind of thing.

@the sig edition: Thats fantastic, I was only able to snag the Collectors edition because of some finance issues but It's easily one of the highest quality collectors editions i've ever purchased for a game. I'm really looking to forward to seeing if they try and top it for Copernicus, and how. I might not even be able to play it when it's released (hoping to) but i'll still by the CE if i'm able.

Hannar

Had to shy away from your pic of the new area :p but I agree entirely. I have gotten so wrapped up in the lore, and characters within the world that I've barely been able to get very far within the world. I'm 16 hours in and i've only barely explored Odarath, Webwood, and Enttinmere. I did get an oppritunity to experience some really fantastic dungeons, Yolvan Castle was amazing, and the atmosphere and lore stones really added to it. Then more recently I went into Dellach looking for an item for a gnome and that was a step beyond even the castle. I'm not sure how to describe it really, it just felt.....awesome. The music in both were also really nice touches that added more to the mix.

I've got a few smaller issues, but i'm waiting to really get into them as there is so much I have yet to do. Also pretty awesome quest in ettinmere
The fishermen who thought that a Lanashee was a Nymph, and decided that he had wanted to marry her, only for her to try and eat his face was pretty classic.
There is alot of really interesting stuff in the world if you like digging into that kind of thing.

I took the advice from the official forums and have been keeping a notebook of all that stuff. You're right, there were a ton of memorable quests in Dalentarth. If the rest of the game is fleshed out that fully, it's just going to get better.

Rokam

So, Secrets of the Fae Pools task, I'm assuming there is some massive secret with this quest. I've summoned the boggart, and the journal mentions a fourth stone, which I have the green gem. There's also a blocked off path on the eastern end of the zone that can't be opened with Detect Hidden. Please tell me there's more and I'm not just wasting my time running back and forth trying combinations.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
AI does need a bit of tweaking. The combat is fun as hell, but it is a bit repetitive. I haven't really had to change my tactics (thief/archer) yet. Worse case scenario is I run away and the enemies come after me...then magically get homesick and start walking very slowly back to their original area wherein I keep shooting them with arrows.

daedalius

Level 23 and now with full might build greatsword/chakram, nothing is actually a challenge save trolls(marginally) and niskaru.

The main and faction quests are fun, but I am seriously getting vanilla wow flashbacks with some of these sidequests; I don't do very many of them.

Alucrid

Banned
I agree with Hannar. I'm level 17 and am probably still barely 1/5 way through the game. It's absolutely insane how much is packed in this game. Playing as a Finesse/Might dagger wielding rogue is great.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Creeping up on 20 hours in now, and having a great time. I've been mostly pushing ahead on the main quest, as I find doing too many side quests is causing me to start out leveling monsters, making it easy to roflstomp them. I like that combat encourages players to move around a lot. I'm going pure rogue and I'm constantly tossing dust in some mobs faces to keep them on their heels, then leaning into others, dodging out, and reassessing the situation on who to attack next and how. Going fae blade / daggers. Try to sneak up on enemies whenever possible for a one-shot back stab (I love when I pull it off on a Jottun or Ettin), then use the fae blades when fighting groups, and daggers for single-target. The fights are nice and tactical, which I really like, and you need to learn the enemies attacks. See a certain animation, and get out of the way.

I've been with the same weapons for ages now, though. I have the Sharkfins, and Shine and Shadow. The daggers are really cool both in what they do, and how they look. Also like the name. I think I may be sad when the time comes to swap them out for something more powerful.

But yeah, having a really great time. The combat is what really made the game for me. I'm looking forward to a nightmare difficulty if it does wind up coming down the pipe. =D

Dresden

I think, of all the stuff I tried, finesse/sorcery with daggers and chakrams are my favorite. Not the most powerful, but I love the mix of stealth, poisons, teleports, and the sorcery gimmicks.

Daante

Bought the PS3 version after work yesterday.
I must say that the final version LOOKS GREAT and RUNS GREAT! (compared to the demo witch had me thinking of going for the pc version instead)

A friend of mine came over last night to check the game out.
We are both ex-Wow pve players with about 5 years playing that game, aswell as Demons/Dark souls lovers.

After like 5-10 mins of gameplay he said "well im gonna buy this right when Februarys salary hits" . This was a guy who havent heard, see or read anything about this game before he came to me. The combat system, togheter with this open beautiful living world and all the loot is what does it for people like us i guess :) . Cant comment much on the story since i havent come far in the game yet.

Im going for the sorcery build, since i havent gone that route in similar games previously.
Looking forward to tonights game session!

vesp

Wrapped up the main quest tonight, doing minimal side quests and all of house of ballads/house of sorrows it took me about 25 hours on hard difficulty. Expected it to be a little longer but I really enjoyed it. I'll prob go back and do the rest of the faction quest lines before retiring it, but it was definitely an enjoyable romp that I would recommend to anyone who likes elder scrolls, fable, or torchlight.

Oh crap, i picked up a purple writing bow and died moments later without saving :(

All the good loot I'm getting are for a might build.

I decided to respec solely into finesse and it's pretty sweet so far with dagger/bow. Almost have enough points in finesse to get the launcher move for the dagger.

I want to play more, but I've already put in 5 hours

Luthos

Do you think the devs are going to fix the sound delay bug on the PS3? I would like to hope so.

But man, loving this game. About 17 or 18 hours in, and I still haven't done anything in the main quest (not counting tutorial, of course).

the-iek

Sorry for asking this, as I'm sure it has been answered a lot of times before but which version should I buy? PS3 oder Xbox 360?

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'm at 58 hours, level 38, just made it to Alabastra. Think my completed quest counter is up around ~200 now. They packed a lot of content into Reckoning. :)

Grinchy

Banned
I thought I might be playing too fast until I looked more closely at the rest of the world map. This place is huge and the map makes the later areas look pretty crazy. I'm not even in Ysa yet.

Luthos

I thought I might be playing too fast until I looked more closely at the rest of the world map. This place is huge and the map makes the later areas look pretty crazy. I'm not even in Ysa yet.

Same. I checked at 10 hours, and I had only done half of the first major area. (all the forest zones). Which I guess if it extrapolates right, that's 80ish hours.

Dresden

Ah, I'm finally getting Gnarsh'd. On Hard, 172 hp, 209 armor, level 17 . . . getting one-shot by anything he does. :lol

Man, I think I can do it, but one missed blink and I'm dead. This is awesome.

e: fuck yeah. Gnarsh is down. I love this.

Top Bottom