• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

That's when I switched to normal. The combat isn't good enough to support 30 different homing missile spamming enemies at once. Could've probably gone back to town and bought a bunch of potions, but I didn't have the motivation to walk through that cave/dungeon again.

They have all the different kinds of potions for a reason, and several of those buffs came in real handy on that fight on Hard. I'm not going to blame the game for my failings to understand all the weapons in my arsenal. Also, if you experiment with that fight (as you should on any big fight giving you trouble) you'd notice there's a part of the room the thresh wont attack in. Drag the boss over there and fight, otherwise take out the thresh first. There's plenty of options to choose from that are more fun than blaming the combat system.

Nista

Thanks for the heads-up. It's the result of them price-matching Toys R US, but for some reason only on 360. I emailed them and 30 minutes later received a note back saying they credited me back 14.96 since I had just bought it on Tuesday.

I just emailed them, hopefully I can get my 15$ back as well. Then I can buy random DLC!

I have to give credit to the programmers, I actually did get the game to run at a decent framerate (albeit a bit fugly) on this piece of junk work laptop. Still prefer the xbox controller over any amount of m +kb on this one. Made a Varani mage for this fate-go-round.

And you really can't argue about the hair, guys... it just looks like a dimestore wig plastered to my poor mage's head. Helmets are a godsend, cause they make you look so much prettier! However, Reckoning wins in armor and weapon design by far.

I'm all finesse bow and dagger, took me a few times but now I'm handling crowds pretty well. Frost traps in choke points if available or to cover flanks, concentrate on non stunned mobs and back off when you see a retaliation starting up. Use shadow something or nother to stun as well while resetting traps.

When the homing missile stuff starts I back way off and dodge, most of those types of attacks are telegraphed well in advanced, like the Jottuns teeing up a ice ball and smacking it with their club, gee, wonder where they got that idea.

The more patience I have the more enjoyable the fight.
Interesting.

If anyone is going straight up Might (like my character was at that point), and can beat that fight in under 10 tries, report it here so I can give you a cookie. Because for me, that fight was nonstop attack interruptions and damage loops. And maybe it's a matter of not taking the right potions/having the right armor, but if I fucked up once and got hit with one of several large magic blasts coming from all directions, it was instant death. Just seemed arbitrarily hard.

Davedough

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried to search but my search skills are crap.

I'm playing on Steam and played the demo on Steam. I could have sworn that during the demo, it said I had unlocked a few fate cards for doing certain things in the demo. I went to the special delivery chest in the first town and it's empty. How do you get these items?

Also, whenever I try to login to the EA server, it says "unknown error has occurred" but it still allows me to get into the game. What up wit dat?

JambiBum

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried to search but my search skills are crap.

I'm playing on Steam and played the demo on Steam. I could have sworn that during the demo, it said I had unlocked a few fate cards for doing certain things in the demo. I went to the special delivery chest in the first town and it's empty. How do you get these items?

Also, whenever I try to login to the EA server, it says "unknown error has occurred" but it still allows me to get into the game. What up wit dat?

The cards are automatic. They are called twists of fate. You don't need to pick them up.

gogojira

Thanks for the heads-up. It's the result of them price-matching Toys R US, but for some reason only on 360. I emailed them and 30 minutes later received a note back saying they credited me back 14.96 since I had just bought it on Tuesday.

Which email account did you use? I bought it for 360 from Amazon, too.

How do I catch the damn well?

edit: nvm, haha, awesome quest

Interesting.

If anyone is going straight up Might (like my character was at that point), and can beat that fight in under 10 tries, report it here so I can give you a cookie. Because for me, that fight was nonstop attack interruptions and damage loops. And maybe it's a matter of not taking the right potions/having the right armor, but if I fucked up once and got hit with one of several large magic blasts coming from all directions, it was instant death. Just seemed arbitrarily hard.

Straight up might is not hard. Just drink a potion for increased damage and one for defense. Then pop your interrupt ability (the one that will stop all the Threshes abilities from interrupting your moves. Then simply kill the thresh and move on to the boss. The other enemies are just a nuisance that can be ignored and dealt with by merely drinking a health potion one or two times.

Which email account did you use? I bought it for 360 from Amazon, too.

I went to amazon.com and clicked the Help in the upper right. Whatever email option was on that page is what I always use to contact support.

Davedough

The cards are automatic. They are called twists of fate. You don't need to pick them up.

Hmm.. the only ones I have in my inventory are the starter pack where you choose which type of character you're going to be and since i'm going pure mage, I got an Initiate card at level 5. I dont see any other cards. =\

Taborcarn

Is there a consensus on the preferred control method for PC, KB/M vs. 360 controller? Just asking before I actually go out and buy a wired 360 controller.

Keikaku

Hmm.. the only ones I have in my inventory are the starter pack where you choose which type of character you're going to be and since i'm going pure mage, I got an Initiate card at level 5. I dont see any other cards. =\
If you're going for a pure mage you won't get any of the other class specific cards. You'll only go up the pure mage tree.

Twists of Fate are actually under the Status window. I think you're looking at Destinies.

Davedough

Is there a consensus on the preferred control method for PC, KB/M vs. 360 controller? Just asking before I actually go out and buy a wired 360 controller.

I have that wireless 360 PC dongle on mine and I MUCH prefer playing it with that than I do with KB&M. I've tried both and I cant rattle off combos nearly as quickly as I can on a keyboard than I can with the controller. Then again, I play on my big comfy couch, so the controller feels natural instead of balancing a keyboard on my lap.

massoluk

Banned

Half an hour in and I can already tell it's made with 360 controller in mind. It's not like you're gonna do any twitchy aiming in the game.

abundant

TOF cards are unlocked by completing the 6 factions' questline and by completing certain main quests.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Probably the 360 controller. There are some things I prefer the KB/M for, but melee combat especially, as well as general running around, is better with the 360 controller in my opinion.

Keikaku

controller feels like ass to me on this.
In my opinion, they controller works just great for me.

I actually have less issues with the camera when I use the controller so I prefer it to the M/KB combo. This is probably the first game where that's the case for me too.

Davedough

I have to say though. The Chakrams are probably one of the best weapons I've had the pleasure of dispatching foes with. I'm so glad this game gave the mage types something other than their spells and a staff to play with. I get immense pleasure out of going in there, charging them up, letting them zip around me and then finish off the floppers.

massoluk

Banned
In my opinion, they controller works just great for me.

I actually have less issues with the camera when I use the controller so I prefer it to the M/KB combo. This is probably the first game where that's the case for me too.

Ditto. Though for me, it's the UI too, camera and UI are just not very good for KB/M.

I have mentioned a couple of hours ago that I would start over, and so I did. I completely restarted because of the fact that I missed out on a lot of the lore because I have been in a state of trance because of some private issues. This is the only reason why I started over because of the fact that the main story and side stories are actually pretty good, and it feels like a complete waste if I do not suck it all in.

I neglected the Finesse tree for now. While that class is fun, the versatility is virtually non-existent when you compare it to either the hybrid classes or a full mage. I also, to my own surprise, got quite sick of the dagger and bow combination because each combat scenario involved in me attacking enemies from afar, and then finishing them with my daggers. I am a stealth freak in games but unfortunately the approach of stealth in this game did not get me pumped after the first 'joy' hours.

So. What did I start with now? Female Hybrid Might/Sorcery with a Greatsword and Chakrams, and I absolutely love it. While the greatsword is the slowest weapon around, the sheer quality of how awesome looking they are more then makes up for it. They are also quite powerful, and I can easily mix things up with my chakrams and might/sorcery abilities for all sorts of damage effects.

I am glad I changed. In every other RPG I always picked the assassin/rogue class and never looked back, but I believe the combat system has such a huge effect on my choices that I truly feel the hybrid I chose now is how I should play this game or else I am missing out on so much.

I have mentioned a couple of hours ago that I would start over, and so I did. I completely restarted because of the fact that I missed out on a lot of the lore because I have been in a state of trance because of some private issues. This is the only reason why I started over because of the fact that the main story and side stories are actually pretty good, and it feels like a complete waste if I do not suck it all in.

I neglected the Finesse tree for now. While that class is fun, the versatility is virtually non-existent when you compare it to either the hybrid classes or a full mage. I also, to my own surprise, got quite sick of the dagger and bow combination because each combat scenario involved in me attacking enemies from afar, and then finishing them with my daggers. I am a stealth freak in games but unfortunately the approach of stealth in this game did not get me pumped after the first 'joy' hours.

So. What did I start with now? Female Hybrid Might/Sorcery with a Greatsword and Chakrams, and I absolutely love it. While the greatsword is the slowest weapon around, the sheer quality of how awesome looking they are more then makes up for it. They are also quite powerful, and I can easily mix things up with my chakrams and might/sorcery abilities for all sorts of damage effects.

I am glad I changed. In every other RPG I always picked the assassin/rogue class and never looked back, but I believe the combat system has such a huge effect on my choices that I truly feel the hybrid I chose now is how I should play this game or else I am missing out on so much.

Once you get smoke bomb, the joy of the dagger is revealed.

Once you get smoke bomb, the joy of the dagger is revealed.

I was level 20 before I decided to quit and I actually found the smoke bomb not all that great. The delay in hitting the button and my character throwing it on the ground takes about 1 second, but that second is far too long if you are surrounded by enemies and need a quick getaway. Lunge made for a far better escape. I just did not enjoy the finesse tree as I would have thought. There is no 'oomph' in the attack and that is what I missed and the more I watched videos of people playing as a might/sorcery hybrid the more it struck me that I will never have so much versatility in my combat.

fuuian

Neo Member
After 32 levels being full finesse, I switched to full sorcery. It's a nice change of pace. I've been playing almost nonstop since Tuesday, so I was getting a little burnt out.

Meteor + Elemental Rage + Tempest feels satisfying when unleashed on hordes of enemies.

Ceebs

Okay..what gives with these half lizard half woman things that shoot swarms of homing bees at me? How do you counter them?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Okay..what gives with these half lizard half woman things that shoot swarms of homing bees at me? How do you counter them?

They're vulnerable to pierce, poison, or bleed, not sure which. I just know that I rip the shit out of them with a bow. :)

fuuian

Neo Member

I think those are
weak to fire
. Also, you can still
dodge the bees by rolling around, just have to time it right.

Keikaku

The Crudoks? You can roll out of the way of the homing projectiles. They'll stop tracking once they complete a full circle or two, depending on range. Try to stay at mid range so that you don't get hit by their nasty close range attack.

scy

Finally able to make progress in
Klurikon
. And, luckily, the starting area enemies aren't grey cons to me at Level 36! Hooray!

Klyka

Banned
"Uh guys, why are you staring at my butt?"
"No worries mortal...no....worries...."

0vuBP.jpg

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Fighting Jottuns is now the most despicable thing ever for me in my 10 hours or so gameplay. It's difficult. Not because the Jottuns themselves are difficult, but because I also had to deal with the camera trying to screw me around in every opportunity.

FOR FUCK SAKE STOP SCREWING ME AROUND YOU STUPID CAMERA AAAARRGGHHHHH.

.....Sorry.

Finally got my first full set (Thyrdon's), hoping to get at least two more full sets tonight. Yeah, I'm kind of a player who needs to have all the stuff, even though I don't need it or never gonna use it. Love the game, absolutely fantastic.

Thyrdon's set...

6854102091_a2e6d676ff_z.jpg

And my awesome Cutlass...

6854102113_69c265261d_z.jpg

6854119705_79e4db9abe_z.jpg

Fighting Jottuns is now the most despicable thing ever for me in my 10 hours or so gameplay. It's difficult. Not because the Jottuns themselves are difficult, but because I also had to deal with the camera trying to screw me around in every opportunity.

FOR FUCK SAKE STOP SCREWING ME AROUND YOU STUPID CAMERA AAAARRGGHHHHH.

.....Sorry.

Yea, the camera is a major bummer.

ReaperXL7

Ok has anyone figured out how Set(gold) drops work out? I've been doing quests in webwood, and i've had boots from three different sets drop, but nothing else yet. Is it a situation where the set pieces will only drop in a specific dungeon, or are the pieces tied to an area, or can they be found anywhere.

It's going to drive me insane if there is no way to farm the other pieces, I hate not having the full set.

Ok has anyone figured out how Set(gold) drops work out? I've been doing quests in webwood, and i've had boots from three different sets drop, but nothing else yet. Is it a situation where the set pieces will only drop in a specific dungeon, or are the pieces tied to an area, or can they be found anywhere.

It's going to drive me insane if there is no way to farm the other pieces, I hate not having the full set.

I found my set in a different locations, two pieces in one all the rest in a three different locations, so I'm not sure how it works mate.

Decided to start a new game on hard with a focus on Finesse, bows and daggers, and I'm having a much better time with it. The long range/closing in with daggers combo is clicking for me completely, much more so than the greatsword/staff combo I was attempting before.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Wasn't a fan of the first few hours I played but gamefly sent it so I might as well give it a bigger chance.

Just wondering does reading books often give you quests like skyrim?

What about talking to random people about their whole list of topics that don't have exclamation points?

Just want to know if I'm glossing over tons of quests or not. Thanks!

Muskweeto

Decided to start a new game on hard with a focus on Finesse, bows and daggers, and I'm having a much better time with it. The long range/closing in with daggers combo is clicking for me completely, much more so than the greatsword/staff combo I was attempting before.
That's how I'm playing and I'm having a blast.

Nista

I'm thinking perhaps it has weighted item drop tables, which means you might not be able to easily farm for a set. Especially since chests don't respawn.

I switched by PC game over to German for increased difficulty and uberness! Doesn't sound as annoyingly Irish now. :)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
GAF, I have a question.

My friends who are playing this game right now compare it to Baldur's Gate in some respects. This has me quite interested in picking up the game, so is the comparison rather accurate?

I also heard that the game is reasonably easy even on Hard mode... not that it matters too much.

Sylonious

I honestly don't understand how anybody could play this game for like 14 hours and give it a review. I feel a lot different about this game now than I did when I first started playing.

I'm thinking perhaps it has weighted item drop tables, which means you might not be able to easily farm for a set. Especially since chests don't respawn.

Some of the set items are also given for doing quests, not sure if the quests rewards are random or not though.

Visceir

I went full-on might, using only longswords and rolling instead of using a shield. Favorite skill is the one that gives me a +xx% dmg bonus for each enemy killed, haven't gotten any of the shield skills yet.

When there are lots of mages it can get a bit annoying but once I down one mage It's pretty much like the start of a chain reaction and I down all the other enemies easily.

Equipment wise I have two pieces that give +7% crit each, I'd probably, I do critical attacks quite often.

Top Bottom