• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Derrick01

Banned
Damn I had no idea that I've sunk 8 hours into this already and I'm really not that far into the first area. I'm in that next sort of region after the very first village, just entered the Hall of Ballads which looks pretty awesome.

This is one of those games where the time's just flying by and I'm greatly enjoying it while not even realizing it when it's happening. I'm a bit shocked at the size too, but pleasantly shocked.

Ningo

Buy off amazon last night, download over night. Go to install today and after it activated on origin it has an error and won't use the installer I downloaded.

So I have to download it all again, pain in the ass origin.

Zeth

Anyone know the name of the quest/npc that leads to the purple faeblade loot in the early levels? Maxed my mastery and don't have any yet!

Amir0x

Banned
Anyone know the name of the quest/npc that leads to the purple faeblade loot in the early levels? Maxed my mastery and don't have any yet!

Well if you do the quest with the injured Fae, then you go to that House of Ballads and you talk to the guy giving a speech about the position opening up.

Then you have to go to the tree trunk dungeon (Gorguath?) and do the quest in there, that gives you a Faeblade. Dangerous quest though seriously those damn Threshes fucked me hard

AEREC

GAF, I have a question.

My friends who are playing this game right now compare it to Baldur's Gate in some respects. This has me quite interested in picking up the game, so is the comparison rather accurate?

I also heard that the game is reasonably easy even on Hard mode... not that it matters too much.

Baldur's Gate on the PC...not even close. PS2 Baldur's Gate maybe but I still dont see it.

Im playing on Hard and I wouldn't say the game is incredibly easy yet (Im not too far in) but I do think it could be a bit more challenging.

Just did the first House of Ballads quest and off to do the second one. This game is pretty damn fun

When will I find some light armor that doesn't look like ass?

Also, if I wanted to use chakrams should I invest any points into sorcery? I'd be happy to have a bow as my secondary, but those chakrams look so damn cool.

abundant

The Mana Cost Reduction stuff you get as a Mage is crazy good. I have -25% with Conservative Casting + -17% with the Sage destiny + -37% with various loot. Tempest, which should cost 135 Mana only costs less than 20 Mana. I can have Sphere of Protection activated and still spam any spell without worrying about my Mana.

scy

GAF, I have a question.

My friends who are playing this game right now compare it to Baldur's Gate in some respects. This has me quite interested in picking up the game, so is the comparison rather accurate?

I also heard that the game is reasonably easy even on Hard mode... not that it matters too much.

Baldur's Gate feels like an awkward comparison, to be honest. Not sure how it really compares to it without drawing some rather odd parallels.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Baldur's Gate on the PC...not even close. PS2 Baldur's Gate maybe but I still dont see it.

Im playing on Hard and I wouldn't say the game is incredibly easy yet (Im not too far in) but I do think it could be a bit more challenging.
Baldur's Gate feels like an awkward comparison, to be honest. Not sure how it really compares to it without drawing some rather odd parallels.
Thanks guys. I figured they were embellishing a bit, since I haven't played a game that measures up to BG (PC) in a while! The demo didn't really resonate with me when I had tried it out, and BG was the last thing in my mind when I finished the demo.

But if you all seem to be having fun with it (and glancing through the thread, a lot of people seem to be), maybe I'll pick it up down the line.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I honestly don't understand how anybody could play this game for like 14 hours and give it a review. I feel a lot different about this game now than I did when I first started playing.

Find someone that actually played it for 14 hours and gave it a scored review if you are going to throw stones.

Riggs

Banned
Find someone that actually played it for 14 hours and gave it a scored review if you are going to throw stones.

Played 24 hrs so far I don't know , went 100% finesse so far. I really want to love this game. The art direction is great and combat is so fun. But I just do nott care about anything going on within the game, I've read all the NPC chat options etc it's just not clicking for me. I think I could get past all that, because I truly LOVE the loot. It's like a 3d Diablo in some sense, loot wise I mean. But the enemies are so weak even on hard, I am OP as fuck at lvl 15 nothing is a challenge even orange enemy's. Just my 2 cents definitely not starting a hate train I like Curt and realllllly want to like this game but unfortunately it is just not clicking with me.

If they can make this game challenging to some degree I could see myself continuing solely based on getting new loot. Without being into the story / characters / lore and being OP 100% of the time, I just cant play anymore though. I could sit all day on this game just for the loot, but w/ the battles being so easy it reminds me of how I felt in skyrim with master blacksmithing.

Xilium

I've been curious about this for a little while now but did 38/BHG release a changelog for their patches? I looked around but I couldn't find any info on what the patches actually did.

scy

What's the deal with Envenomed Edge? Doesn't work properly? Or worth investing in?

Depends on your weapon. Staff, Sceptre, and Hammer won't work due to not being edged weapons. The rest are all fine (well, assumedly; I tried all but Longswords but ... yeah). The proc rate is a little low but it's serviceable. It's about the same proc rate as Poison effects on weapons, be it naturally on them or from Gems, so it's not as bad as it seems. Plus, you don't really need to proc it multiple times typically so 15% isn't terrible.

I like it since it's a solid chance to activate on Daggers/Faeblades which hit a lot per target before killing them and it's a nice debuff when it works (-33% damage dealt). It's also better damage over time than what you can get from Gems so I just treat it as me getting to skip using a Poison Gem or crafting component for my weapons and slot something better instead.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm not sure how useful Universalist's +3 Skills really is. I have maybe ~9 or so points left to spend (4 from levels, 5 from trainers, maybe a book or two) and I only have 16 points left to fill up. I guess Universalist's +3 Skills is nice if you missed some trainers or books though.

scy

Forgot to add this, I finally switched to a Dagger build and it's fun. Less damage per swing but the faster swing speed is a nice change of pace. It also gave me a new high crit I'll never surpass ever with Faeblades (90k). Probably the biggest difference is that I don't loathe the off-dodge attack. Faeblade's Cyclone was strange due to how long it took, especially when you just flat out missed with it; Cross Slash just fires quickly and doesn't seem to have much recovery time.

Savage Wing was so much more spectacular to watch than Punishment though :(

Paralytic Poisons isn't that useful it feels. I mean, stun is nice. Stun is very nice. Stun is, however, only until they get hit and I kind of chain combos endlessly so I don't really notice how often it's landing. Maybe it's giving me the breathing room in some of my combos but I'm not 100% certain. Only played with it for a dungeon so far so I'm not sure yet so this isn't saying the skill is useless, just that it's a bit hard to gauge when it's actually working. I forgot I had it until I got hit mid-combo and noticed a dazed enemy sitting there.

Execution, on the other hand, is amazing solely because it can crit. A free ~800-1000 damage crit on a 16% chance? I think that'll do fine. I made sure to put Bleed on my Daggers so I can always have it going rather than relying on Shadow Flare spam.

23 hours later and I've finally left Dalantarth. I love the look of the 2nd area. Being able to see across the entire area is very different than Dalantarth. My only issue is that on the 360 the inside of the huge Warsworn castle has a horrendous framerate.

Just picked up the retail version. (PS3)

I love the little classical guitar jingles that play with some of the Lore stones. Makes me almost want to pick up my own guitar and learn them.

Quick question for fellow PS3 players, have you guys noticed some slight audio delays? It's nothing too jarring, but I'm noticing it moreso with NPC dialogue and certain sound effects (water splashing after I've already jumped in). I can hear the disc loading at certain points which makes me think it's just a disc issue (c'mon Sony, give us full installs already). Oh well. Back to the game!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This is one of those games where the time's just flying by and I'm greatly enjoying it while not even realizing it when it's happening. I'm a bit shocked at the size too, but pleasantly shocked.

It's huge. 12 hours in and I've only covered a small fraction of the world map. It's easy to get sucked into the sidequests for hours on end. I'm trying to get back to the MQ now so I can find a change of scenery.

Arcteryx

It's huge. 12 hours in and I've only covered a small fraction of the world map. It's easy to get sucked into the sidequests for hours on end. I'm trying to get back to the MQ now so I can find a change of scenery.

I've put in damn near 10hrs on my main playthrough already, and I JUST got to the next location for the main quest
the one down where all the spiders are
. I've been getting sidetracked by sidequests :(

:/

yeah these audio hiccups (PS3) are starting to bug me. Everything has a 1/2 second delay to it. Dialog, loot pickups, attack sounds, even footsteps. The demo didn't do this, so why the retail copy?

I'm thinking of switching to a 360 copy if this keeps up.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
is the retail version as buggy as the demo? I'm interested because I like how it looks and bugs aside I liked the gameplay when I played the demo, but wow is the demo buggy or what.

ps3 here.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
care to elaborate? Feel better? Feel worse?

14 hours in, he's getting more options to play with, the fights start becoming more hectic and complex. So most likely BETTER.

is the retail version as buggy as the demo? I'm interested because I like how it looks and bugs aside I liked the gameplay when I played the demo, but wow is the demo buggy or what.

ps3 here.

Retail is fine. Demo was made from a 3 month from release build and piece together to work on everything by an outside studio.

Retail is fine. Demo was made from a 3 month from release build and piece together to work on everything by an outside studio.

No, apparently it's not (at least on the PS3). I had no audio problems in the demo (aside from the intro movie/developer logo delay). Now in the retail version a lot of sound effects are delayed by a 1/2 second. I posted on the official KoA forums, hoping for a response.

edit: it looks like others are posting similar problems over there.

gehrig38

Played 24 hrs so far I don't know , went 100% finesse so far. I really want to love this game. The art direction is great and combat is so fun. But I just do nott care about anything going on within the game, I've read all the NPC chat options etc it's just not clicking for me. I think I could get past all that, because I truly LOVE the loot. It's like a 3d Diablo in some sense, loot wise I mean. But the enemies are so weak even on hard, I am OP as fuck at lvl 15 nothing is a challenge even orange enemy's. Just my 2 cents definitely not starting a hate train I like Curt and realllllly want to like this game but unfortunately it is just not clicking with me.

If they can make this game challenging to some degree I could see myself continuing solely based on getting new loot. Without being into the story / characters / lore and being OP 100% of the time, I just cant play anymore though. I could sit all day on this game just for the loot, but w/ the battles being so easy it reminds me of how I felt in skyrim with master blacksmithing.

Man, as hard as it is for me to believe, some folks may not like it:) Seriously though, appreciate you taking a chance on a true unknown. Likely you'll get your nightmare mode down the line, but I URGE you NOT to trade in the disk until you see our first DLC, if for nothing else than to have a bar set to bitch to every other developer you buy from here on out, who doesn't give you your monies worth!

If you don't come back I hope to see you in Copernicus!
All the best dude.

Two more things! Could you guys PLEASE hit up our forums and tech topics with the sound bugs! I am not seeing it but it's not the first I am hearing of it, need to get that fixed if possible.
Next, for you Lore, Fantasy, MMO folks, the ENTIRE map of Reckoning is MASSIVE, but represents about 1/10th to 1/7th of Amalur......

gehrig38

We whiffed on the strategy guide, and I hope we learned, but wanted to pass this along for anyone that ordered it. Even though you may play through a lot or all, this thing is the largest and highest quality guide I've ever seen.
Here was my post on our forums

I've just received confirmation from our partners at Future Press that the Reckoning strategy guide has been sent to the printer. The printing process will take about 10 days, and then they go straight into the mail.

This means you guys will have them in your hands in the next couple weeks. I'm sorry that they weren't available on launch day. The learning curve around launching our first game has been steep, but understandable. Our goal is to never make the same mistake twice.

Having said that, I know that won't make the absence of the guide on launch day any better for anyone that ordered, and for that we apologize. We absolutely believe you are going to love the guide, it has every ounce of quality and quantity that our collector's edition items had. As a thank-you to everyone who purchased the strategy guide and stuck with us, we'll be running a fun contest in the coming weeks with some awesome prizes. Please stay tuned to the forums for more information about that!

Anyway, our apologies we could not deliver this on the day we promised, but quality absolutely must win out every time. We'll make sure to work towards not having this ever happen again with our guides, but just know Future Press has informed us that this is the largest guide they've ever done.

You could clear out a room of cats with one swing of this thing.

Two more things! Could you guys PLEASE hit up our forums and tech topics with the sound bugs! I am not seeing it but it's not the first I am hearing of it, need to get that fixed if possible.

Done and done.

Curt, is it possible it's a blu-ray issue (PS3)? I had absolutely zero problems with the sound effects in the demo (installed to the hard drive), but the retail version seems to be a little wonky. I notice that my PS3 is loading the disc a lot, so I'm assuming it could be something with streaming data?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
good to hear the game will be supported with DLC. If the audio issue is not that bad and only happens once in a while, I can tolerate.

Amir0x

Banned
I hope the DLC comes before I beat the game. I must admit, once I beat a game I very rarely return to it when DLC comes. The only exception I think was Left 4 Dead games and Minerva's Den...

I somewhat agree with the lore not clicking. I usually skip what the people are saying after I read a few words.

The only interesting story so far has been the House of Ballads storyline or whatever its called.

As for how to make it harder, they should copy more loot whore games and give random mobs special attributes.

ReaperXL7

I hope the DLC comes before I beat the game. I must admit, once I beat a game I very rarely return to it when DLC comes. The only exception I think was Left 4 Dead games and Minerva's Den...

IIRC the first DLC comes in March, around Mass Effect 3s launch. Don't think we have a solid date yet though.

Rokam

Hooray I'm a millionaire! About 2 maybe 3 zones left in the plains and level 27. Found a really nice set helm, think it was one that was set in an area, had to use detect hidden to open a door and it was in a grave. The bonus for 3 piece is 10% damage, 5 is +1 to Finesse/Sorcery/Might, want to buy other pieces!

I got to tell you guys I was never more happy with the purchase of any game than I am with Reckoning. That game got me nailed to the chair for a 7 hours straight today and I'll hit 40 hours mark in a few and it won't end there. I had to hit a gas station and grab a few BFC Monsters to last for another few hours, probably will be playing till morning lol. I keep saying to myself, last quest, last item and I'm done, and two hours later I'm still saying this to myself :D

Dresden

The sound problems happen on certain spells for me, most noticeably Ice Barrage. Otherwise, the game has run really well on the ps3.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Hooray I'm a millionaire! About 2 maybe 3 zones left in the plains and level 27. Found a really nice set helm, think it was one that was set in an area, had to use detect hidden to open a door and it was in a grave. The bonus for 3 piece is 10% damage, 5 is +1 to Finesse/Sorcery/Might, want to buy other pieces!

What set is this. That makes my universalist drool.

Loving the game, but few things I'm not liking:

1 - probably a bug, but the audio on lorestones is now much lower than everything else, so I don't hear much of anything when I click them. I changed nothing in the options menu to cause it.

2 - the audio associated with the Might talent that increases your damage after each kill is annoying as hell and it never stops

3 - trying to select locations to fast travel to when there's an active quest icon on top of it is a pain in the ass.

shaowebb

Amalur has me in danger of boning midterms in my digital composition class. I must resist its tempting clutches (and loot!) to finish my homework in time by Sunday. This game...

Rokam

What set is this. That makes my universalist drool.

Don't know the name off hand, but I'll spoiler the location for you so you can see if you get the piece I did
Cradle of Summer, south of the Fae's sitting in a circle, you'll need to be able to see hidden doors

Buy off amazon last night, download over night. Go to install today and after it activated on origin it has an error and won't use the installer I downloaded.

So I have to download it all again, pain in the ass origin.

The exact same thing happened to me. Really lame. I suppose that's what I get for installing Origin.

Top Bottom