• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

ElyrionX

WTF. I just finished off the Maid but had to tone down the difficulty from Hard to Normal as well as chug a bunch of potions. That fight is not hard. It's cheap as hell. I had no Reckoning Mode because I used it at the earlier fight with Belmaid and the other fae. But when there are so many creatures on screen with so many of them slinging homing missiles at you, it is impossible to dodge them all. And the Maid's projectile takes away 90% of my health in one hit. It's ridiculous. With the thresh and medusa-thing throwing homing projectiles in the background as well, I don't see how anyone can win this fight without potion spamming or Reckoning Mode.

Speaking of which, I had a lot of trouble with that earlier fight with Belmaid and the other fae as well. I literally die in three seconds in that fight. I think that fight was supposed to happen with Wencen helping me but I only rescued him after killing them.

EDIT: Prior to the Maid fight, I used maybe one potion in an hour of gameplay. But that fight, I used at least 5 to 10 potions, I think. The difficulty spike is ridiculously stupid.

Hawk269

Man, I just cannot stop playing this game. I'm up to 47 hours on the PC now. It was totally worth taking the week off. I don't know if there's ever been a game I've felt I've gotten more value out of, and I'm hardly through the content yet. I'm only 2-3 areas outside of Dalentarth right now.

The quest system here is amazing. It's not so much revolutionary as it is just a higher quality than what I'm used to seeing in RPGs these days. Even the very few quests that have a mechanic that resembles a "fetch" quest, the lore behind it really makes it seem like the NPC's request makes sense in the game world.

I had a quest tonight where an NPC approached me while I was hunting, drug me off into a dungeon, and tried to manipulate me during multiple conversations to accomplish something he wanted done -- then at the end, I had to make a choice about whether I believed him, or the eventual "boss" of the dungeon. Amazing stuff. When you pair stuff like that together with the combat that is actually fun.... man.....

I'm working up a critique for 38Watch.com -- I've got a long list of things that I think need to be constructively criticized, tweaked, or rebalanced. Some of the skills in particular appear to be broken or unbalanced to the point that some of the player choices are rendered meaningless. But I don't want to go there yet until I've got more notes and complete the game a few times. Complaints aside, I'm very happy with what I've experienced so far.

For you guys playing rogues, if you haven't gotten the Gambit ability yet, make it your #1 priority. I've wasted thousands of dollars on mana potions and extended combat longer than I need to just so I can watch those enemies walk through those mine fields again.

Walked out of Dalentarth this morning and saw this for the first time --- it's the type of thing that really makes you want to explore what's out there in the world.

AlWmmoOCQAAYM5I.jpg:large

And then when I remember how ridiculously cool it is that I've got a Todd McFarlane statue signed by Curt Schilling and a lithograph signed by Ken Rolston for a game in a world created by R.A. Salvatore... sorry for the fanboy rave here. Lack of sleep is a problem. Hopefully a lot of other GAF'ers are enjoying it just as much. As for a few coworkers and family members, they're getting copies whether they know it or not yet :).

AlKFutZCQAE_G6M.jpg:large

I don't know if any of you guys got the destiny cards that came with one of the special editions, but they are one of my favorite things in that set. They are much higher quality than I expected, and much larger. Have to find something cool to do with them.

AlKE7ohCAAAVyKI.jpg:large

Wow man. How much did all that run you. I see 4 copies of the 360 version..4 copies of the PS3 version, 2 PC Collectors Edition and 1 big ass Troll.

I did not know that the only place to get the collectors was through the official site. By the time I found it out they were gone. I hope/wish they will make a small number of them, perhaps a 50qty run of each of the collectors. I would easily buy the big signed set if given the opportunity.

Atruvius

Played 13 hours already and haven't even explored all of Dalantarth yet. This game is HUGE!

I got stuck at the last boss of the house of Ballads questline. Damn she just whoops my ass. Tried it level 14 last night but died probably five times, she one shots me. I did some other quests to level up to 16. Now I'll just get Fate full and I'll go beat her ass to DEATH!

Rokam

30 hours in just beat
Balor
still a crap load of quests left in the plains, and now that Detect Hidden is max time to return to all the dungeons and make sure I didn't miss anything, especially because 2 of the tasks mention the items being in various dungeons. Also up to 2.5 million gold, can't wait to go all Scrooge McDuck on it.

Having more than one character's saves next to each other always bothers me, but I just realized that if you change storage devices it only loads the saves from that device. So I have one character on my HDD and one on my 360 arcade's system memory. Sweet victory.

XrMU2.gif

Keikaku

Legit bug found!
There is a table up against the wall next to a thorny tree trunk in the interior of the
Bell Tower near Castle Windemere
. You can absolutely walk right between the gap (which makes sense since it looks like your char should fit there) but you can't walk out the same way. You have to use a teleport skill or some weapon attack that has a charge/teleport function.

Other than that I'm quite enjoying the game with the following caveats:
  • I need something to spend in-game money on. I'm swimming in the stuff.
  • A horse or some sort of mount would be great. Yes, I have fast travel, but it would be awesome to have for reasons other than convenience.
  • There definitely needs to be a harder difficulty setting. Reckoning mode = easy time for every boss so far.

Truant

Reckoning mode doesn't work anymore for me. I enter it, but every enemy just dies, and it won't give me the QTE promt anymore. I also get regular amounts of XP. Am I doing something wrong?

DrBo42

About 4 hours in and I haven't even come close to dying (playing on hard). Does this game get challenging at some point?

Risible

I hit Gnarsh at level 15 or so. I'm surprised anyone has trouble with her. Any single-target boss has no chance if you have Reckoning mode ready IMO. I use hammers, so Reckoning mode means a free 20 seconds or so of just whaling the hell out of something. I don't think she hit me once.

Bosses with multiple enemies are much more difficult, IMO.

Riggs

Banned
Man, as hard as it is for me to believe, some folks may not like it:) Seriously though, appreciate you taking a chance on a true unknown. Likely you'll get your nightmare mode down the line, but I URGE you NOT to trade in the disk until you see our first DLC, if for nothing else than to have a bar set to bitch to every other developer you buy from here on out, who doesn't give you your monies worth!

If you don't come back I hope to see you in Copernicus!
All the best dude.

Two more things! Could you guys PLEASE hit up our forums and tech topics with the sound bugs! I am not seeing it but it's not the first I am hearing of it, need to get that fixed if possible.
Next, for you Lore, Fantasy, MMO folks, the ENTIRE map of Reckoning is MASSIVE, but represents about 1/10th to 1/7th of Amalur......

No not returning going to respec to might and just go ham on everything it really is a good game, I am major on loot in games so I cannot stop yet lol. Ty for reply btw.

Hannar

Wow man. How much did all that run you. I see 4 copies of the 360 version..4 copies of the PS3 version, 2 PC Collectors Edition and 1 big ass Troll.

I did not know that the only place to get the collectors was through the official site. By the time I found it out they were gone. I hope/wish they will make a small number of them, perhaps a 50qty run of each of the collectors. I would easily buy the big signed set if given the opportunity.

I ended up getting one copy on each platform for me to play, plus 1 Signature, Collectors, and Special edition for me to keep. 1 collector's edition for a family member, and the rest are to give away at work; 15 total. I've got a lot of folks who are gamers that I can use this as a nice "thank you," or incentive. That helps me, and there's really no developer right now I'd rather see have early success than 38. I won't be hoarding all those copies, but it did get me all the pre order bonuses :).

Rad Agast

Reckoning mode doesn't work anymore for me. I enter it, but every enemy just dies, and it won't give me the QTE promt anymore. I also get regular amounts of XP. Am I doing something wrong?

Check the level of the mobs you're fighting. I think you don't get the QTE or extra xp from killing low level stuff.

Jrmint

Is Gnarsh like the final boss of Dalentarth?

I see you guys talking about it a lot, and I'm only 5 and a half hours in or so, so I was wondering.

About 4 hours in and I haven't even come close to dying (playing on hard). Does this game get challenging at some point?
I'm close to 20 hours in now on hard difficulty, and I've barely had any trouble so far. I rarely have to use any potions, although there was one boss
(the summoned fire-breathing monster in the Warsworn faction quest)
that I had to burn through a few. I haven't been abusing Reckoning mode either...in fact, I usually forget it's even there.

I think playing as a pure mage breaks the game, actually. :\ For those having trouble, what class are you using?

bedlamite

Yeah, this game's a bit of a cakewalk when you're going against targets one-on-one. It's the groups that can get frustrating, doubly so for enemies that engage in rapid-fire long-range attacks, e.g threshes. Once a hit lands on you, you're stunned, which leads to a whole bunch of consecutive hits coming in from the other members in the group. Kiting doesn't always work, either.

I've logged about 18 hours of game time so far, I've not been this addicted to a game in years. Most of the time I'm stopping only because my right hand's cramping up lol.

GeoramA

Hard definitely isn't challenging at all. Especially if you got armor or an accessory with +0.1 health regen.

I'm only at level 8 and I just killed 5 mountain trolls and 3 threshs and only had to use about 5 health potions.

Not that I'm complaining though, because I hate punishingly hard games.

Dizzle24

Love this game! The combat is so good. Chakrams are my favorite weapon so far; I've ditched swords for the weapons I got for preordering. I might switch it up today to one of the frost or flame swords I have; I feel like I'm playing God of War with the Chakrams lol

Wallach

Someone previously said they found a backpack in the environment rather than on a vendor. If possible please let me know where you picked that up, with spoiler tags if necessary.

Edit - I made it to Rathir before I quit and god damn what the fuck at the number of quests. Also, weapons and armor here cost upwards of 700,000 per piece... I am the 99% I guess.

Nista

I ended up getting one copy on each platform for me to play, plus 1 Signature, Collectors, and Special edition for me to keep. 1 collector's edition for a family member, and the rest are to give away at work; 15 total. I've got a lot of folks who are gamers that I can use this as a nice "thank you," or incentive. That helps me, and there's really no developer right now I'd rather see have early success than 38. I won't be hoarding all those copies, but it did get me all the pre order bonuses :).

Finally someone who bought more copies than me! Though I'm only keeping one of each platform and giving away the extras. You are making me jealous that I don't have my troll to adorn my desk yet.

You guys keep talking about switching to daggers from faeblades, but is that only viable for a finesse based character vs a universalist? I'm still digging my faeblade/chakram build so far.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Sorry to repost but noone answered and googling hasn't helped.

Will reading books lead to random quests? Should I hold onto things like random death notices and journals of people?

Also will exhausting dialogue options with random people that don't have quest markers ever lead to quests? Asking 15 people about the crystal war seems a bit silly.

Thanks!

I'm officially done with Finesse. I was finding so few opportunities to use stealth and the fae blades just weren't dealing enough damage in normal combat, so I switched to a Might/Sorcery Battlemage type character, using a longsword and greatsword, with some magic on the side.

Haunted

Will reading books lead to random quests? Should I hold onto things like random death notices and journals of people?

Also will exhausting dialogue options with random people that don't have quest markers ever lead to quests? Asking 15 people about the crystal war seems a bit silly.

Thanks!

No, no and no. Quest givers are clearly marked in the world. Books are lore only except those who have a [skill book] tag in front of them.

Wallach

Thanks!

I'm not sure about the first one. I thought finding the death notice is what enables you to get a quest from the girl in the Gorhart graveyard, but I'm not sure exactly what triggers it. Only example that is coming to mind that would fit the question.

As to the second, no, I've never had dialogue trees open up a quest from a character that didn't have the mark over them to begin with.

Sorry for asking this, as I'm sure it has been answered a lot of times before but which version should I buy? PS3 oder Xbox 360?

They're pretty much the same. Go with the one whose controller/achievement system you prefer.

Sounds like the bug I ran into on my first character, which I unfortunately had to abandon since the problem never went away.

scy

WTF. I just finished off the Maid but had to tone down the difficulty from Hard to Normal as well as chug a bunch of potions. That fight is not hard. It's cheap as hell. I had no Reckoning Mode because I used it at the earlier fight with Belmaid and the other fae. But when there are so many creatures on screen with so many of them slinging homing missiles at you, it is impossible to dodge them all. And the Maid's projectile takes away 90% of my health in one hit. It's ridiculous. With the thresh and medusa-thing throwing homing projectiles in the background as well, I don't see how anyone can win this fight without potion spamming or Reckoning Mode.

Speaking of which, I had a lot of trouble with that earlier fight with Belmaid and the other fae as well. I literally die in three seconds in that fight. I think that fight was supposed to happen with Wencen helping me but I only rescued him after killing them.

EDIT: Prior to the Maid fight, I used maybe one potion in an hour of gameplay. But that fight, I used at least 5 to 10 potions, I think. The difficulty spike is ridiculously stupid.

See, I knew some people would find the fight ridiculous. It's doable without potions or Reckoning (and when it is of level) but man, it's a really rough fight.
It's probably one of the easier boss fights though, personally

I'm officially done with Finesse. I was finding so few opportunities to use stealth and the fae blades just weren't dealing enough damage in normal combat, so I switched to a Might/Sorcery Battlemage type character, using a longsword and greatsword, with some magic on the side.

Really? I never really felt that way in my playthrough. And now I'm at end-game doing about 800-2000+ a swing due to all my Crit%/+Crit Damage%.

eshwaaz

I'm about 7 hours in, and absolutely love this game. The combat is satisfying, the world is appealing and fun to explore, the loot is plentiful and worthwhile - just such an enjoyable and entertaining experience all-around.

ironcreed

Banned
Some of these faction quests are among the best I have seen for an RPG with guilds and such. I am so wrapped up in the Warsworn faction and the sense of history that is revealed from it's lore, that it is like I am playing a main storyline. Not to mention the beautiful environment variety and all of the badass gear. This is one of those games that I will still be going back to years from now.

I just don't get the 'generic' comments at all. It is simply classic high fantasy and one of the better offerings of it's kind to come along in years, in my opinion. The pacing and how it gradually opens up and reveals more about the world through lore and stories is fantastic. The game is absolutely filled with rich content and was obviously a labor of love.

It's a huge game with a lot to take in. Give it time, and you will absolutely lose yourself in the world. Especially if you love old school high fantasy. In which sense, it is no more generic than the next modern military online frag-fest, with it's obligatory 5 hour campaign that people continually flock to in droves.

eshwaaz

Some of these faction quests are among the best I have seen for an RPG with guilds and such. I am so wrapped up in the Warsworn faction and the sense of history that is revealed from it's lore, that it is like I am playing a main storyline. Not to mention the beautiful environment variety and all of the badass gear. This is one of those games that I will still be going back to years from now.

I just don't get the 'generic' comments at all. It is simply classic high fantasy and one of the better offerings of it's kind to come along in years, in my opinion. The pacing and how it gradually opens up and reveals more about the world through lore and stories is fantastic. The game is absolutely filled with rich content and was obviously a labor of love.

It's a huge game with a lot to take in. Give it time, and you will absolutely lose yourself in the world. Especially if you love old school high fantasy. In which sense, it is no more generic than the next modern military online frag-fest, with it's obligatory 5 hour campaign that people continually flock to in droves.
Very well said; my feelings exactly. This game deserves to succeed.

Hannar

+1 for this entire line of thought.

Really? I never really felt that way in my playthrough. And now I'm at end-game doing about 800-2000+ a swing due to all my Crit%/+Crit Damage%.

They just felt really weak to me - I hadn't found a suitable upgrade for ages, and as I was putting all my points into stealth in the hope that it'd prove more useful further on, I couldn't use blacksmithing to create a better weapon either. It's a shame, as I liked the speed and look of the fae blades, but although I had intended them to be my primary weapon, I kept having to fall back on my longsword to deal with tougher enemies.

I'm liking the melee and magic build though, it seems to suit my play-style a lot more than finesse did (although I miss those shadow daggers).

LuchaShaq

Banned

There's no reason I can't find high fantasy with a bad guy with a crystal dildo on his chin just as generic as modern military game #45. The generic high fantasy is more disappointing to me though due to the fact they shouldn't feel tied down to reality like military games so they should be able to create something unique and interesting, not a game full of voice acting and text where 90% of it is bad.

There's no reason I can't find high fantasy with a bad guy with a crystal dildo on his chin just as generic as modern military game #45. The generic high fantasy is more disappointing to me though due to the fact they shouldn't feel tied down to reality like military games so they should be able to create something unique and interesting, not a game full of voice acting and text where 90% of it is bad.

What is your idea of good? The lore in this game sucked me in, just playing a factions questline has more lore and urgency than the whole of most rpgs i've played in recent memory, not to mention the voice acting is absolutely solid, i don't think this game is for you, its not bad at all, it just doesn't suit your taste, let it go.

ironcreed

Banned

Of course you can find it just as generic. My point is that it is no more so than iteration after iteration of the same types of premises found in other popular games in various genres. However, whether it is 'bad' or not is also totally subjective. Were it not, there would not be so many loving it to death, and it would not have received so many high marks review-wise. But, hey... to each their own.

Hannar

Thanks!

Some items you pick up will be quest components, and some others will initiate a quest. If it does initiate a quest, you will know it because there will be an "!" beside the item in the loot screen.

Lombaszko

I found out yesterday Newegg cancelled my pre-order, thanks for letting me know three days AFTER the game came out. At least I was able to get it for the same price on Amazon, just have to wait a little longer now, reading this thread is killing me!

I found out yesterday Newegg cancelled my pre-order, thanks for letting me know three days AFTER the game came out. At least I was able to get it for the same price on Amazon, just have to wait a little longer now, reading this thread is killing me!

I've given up on doing preorders from newegg. They've cancelled 2 of my orders in the past :/

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Is there news about a patch coming? I know there aren't many bugs - asking out of pure curiosity.

Problem I keep having now is trying to continue the Warsworn questline and along the path to get there I keep running into new quests, and I can't turn them down. Very addictive game.

Top Bottom