• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

I'm about 20 hours in, and this game feels...safe? Maybe not the proper word, but everything besides the combat just seems bland and "done before".

The only thing that's keeping me going is the combat, because everything else is putting me to sleep.

ElyrionX

See, I knew some people would find the fight ridiculous. It's doable without potions or Reckoning (and when it is of level) but man, it's a really rough fight.
It's probably one of the easier boss fights though, personally

I was Level 13. How is it possible without potions or Reckoning? The moment the Maid charges up her attack and the thresh charges up his attack shortly after, you're effectively screwed because even if you dodge one, the second one will hit you as you recover from your blink/roll. And once you get hit and stun-locked, the sprites will get your ass there. The worst thing is that most of their ranged attacks have homing properties so you need to time your dodges just right.

I just don't see it. Maybe as a warrior or a rogue, it's possible. But I'm a pure mage and I don't see how it can be done at Level 13.

gehrig38

This seems like the appropriate thread to remind folks, given the SICK amount of playtime some of you guys have.
DO NOT RESELL your copy if you love the game.
Our DLC, well, you are going to eat it alive.
Both premises are damn cool, but the content and 'stuff' in them is just bad ass.
Also, if you happen to be an Amalur fan, or a potential MMO fan, you're going to have a blast.

This seems like the appropriate thread to remind folks, given the SICK amount of playtime some of you guys have.
Both premises are damn cool, but the content and 'stuff' in them is just bad ass.
Also, if you happen to be an Amalur fan, or a potential MMO fan, you're going to have a blast.

Resell Reckoning? Nah, ain't gonna happen, more like buying another copy, this time for PS3 :D

erragal

I was Level 13. How is it possible without potions or Reckoning? The moment the Maid charges up her attack and the thresh charges up his attack shortly after, you're effectively screwed because even if you dodge one, the second one will hit you as you recover from your blink/roll. And once you get hit and stun-locked, the sprites will get your ass there. The worst thing is that most of their ranged attacks have homing properties so you need to time your dodges just right.

I just don't see it. Maybe as a warrior or a rogue, it's possible. But I'm a pure mage and I don't see how it can be done at Level 13.

You might just be too low level to do it. I did it at 18 and once I remembered to put my actual gear back on it only took me a few tries to get it. You lack any sort of real aoe to deal with the little adds fast enough at your level and are stuck trying to burn down everything individually. I doubt it's plausible at your level to handle that without potions/reckoning.

For me it's been the only hard fight in the game; since that point I've overpowered everything else I come across. Disappointing because I enjoy everything in the game except the fact there's no challenge at all.

ironcreed

Banned

Oh, no danger in me getting rid of my copy. I'll still be coming back and playing this years from now. The fact that we are getting even more content to add to it just sweetens the deal.

I'm going to have to accept the fact that I'm no longer as good at games as I use to be. I've followed this thread from the beginning and there's been a lot of talk bout the difficulty being to low. Well, put me in the old fogies category because I'm playing on normal and still get my ass kicked with some of the combination mobs (i.e.: 2 huge bad guys surrounded by 6 fast moving small guys). Loving the game BTW!

edit: By the time I think about selling any of my games they're usually worth $3...

scy

For anyone who's finished the Scholia Arcana line, how many quests are there left after you get sent to Rathir?

If you mean the
Unquiet Bride quest
then you have that one plus four others, each with a dungeon of their own.

There's dead zones where you can hide from the Thresh and some massively pro Parries on the Sprites. "Doable" doesn't mean something I can imagine almost anyone actually doing at that level (or, more apt, at that skillset; not many options there). I'm so, so eager to get to this fight on my no Potion, no Reckoning playthrough!

I hope you guys don't have any plans to add a co-op/multiplayer option to the game, cause if you do my, wife won't be happy :D

You might just be too low level to do it. I did it at 18 and once I remembered to put my actual gear back on it only took me a few tries to get it. You lack any sort of real aoe to deal with the little adds fast enough at your level and are stuck trying to burn down everything individually. I doubt it's plausible at your level to handle that without potions/reckoning.

For me it's been the only hard fight in the game; since that point I've overpowered everything else I come across. Disappointing because I enjoy everything in the game except the fact there's no challenge at all.

lol, so even being high level you still got killed a few times. yet it wasn't a hard fight?
That fight is hard without reckoning. I had more trouble with the fight before the boss because I saved my reckoning. I was around 13 too.

erragal

lol, so even being high level you still got killed a few times. yet it wasn't a hard fight?
That fight is hard without reckoning. I had more trouble with the fight before the boss because I saved my reckoning. I was around 13 too.

Being higher level doesn't make the enemies lower. The enemies scale to your level in that dungeon. And where did I say it wasn't a hard fight? It actually took me upwards of -70- tries because the first 65 I was using that house of ballads junk gear and taking wayyy too much damage. It's a brutally difficult fight when you start with 6 sprites and a lenashe and end up with a thresh before they're all dead because her HP drops so fast. EDIT: The only advantage of being higher level is having access to certain abilities that make life much easier, particularly as a pure mage.

But I did finish it with my regular gear with no potions and no reckoning in only a few tries. That doesn't mean it isn't hard though. What I did say is that no fight -since- then has been a challenge.

The fight before the boss is pretty challenging as well. The problem is soon after that point you start to get weapons/gear that allow you to far outstrip enemy health in only a few hits as well as stronger defensive tools.

Risible

I'm going to have to accept the fact that I'm no longer as good at games as I use to be. I've followed this thread from the beginning and there's been a lot of talk bout the difficulty being to low. Well, put me in the old fogies category because I'm playing on normal and still get my ass kicked with some of the combination mobs (i.e.: 2 huge bad guys surrounded by 6 fast moving small guys). Loving the game BTW!

edit: By the time I think about selling any of my games they're usually worth $3...

I'm going to say you're doing it wrong. I'm 47, and I haven't had much trouble at all. The only class that's been even slightly tough has been pure mage.

Mix up your attacks - quick attacks followed up with your magic. Practice the timing of dodges and parries.

It might help that I was a big fan of the Demons/Dark Souls games. :)

Wallach

As pure Sorcery I thought the Maid fight wasn't that bad, but I had filled out Mark of Flame by the time I got to her. The Thresh is really the only tricky part about that fight, but it spawned in the direction I was looking, so I was able to keep him stunned before he started doing much of anything (and her attacks aren't nearly as big of a deal as a loose Thresh's).

Nista

Bonus - Eine "GIANT ENEMY CRAB" die mir droht... so putzig xD

I <3 Giant enemy crab!

Good to see someone else playing in German. It's actually localized pretty well, though some of the weapon/armor names are a bit strange (but somehow more awesome) compared to English.

I can't resell my copy, cause it's got rude things inscribed upon it by the dev team. I don't think eBay would even allow that. ;) Gotta support all the cool ideas the designers came up with for the DLC.

Higher level means you should have more skills to use. Plus the areas have caps. Now the castle area might not be capped at 18, I don't know.

I thought you were giving advice because you thought it was easy. if you get killed like 70 times, you should change up you strategy or go back to an earlier save. Though you might just be quicksaving and not have one.

erragal

I'm going to say you're doing it wrong. I'm 47, and I haven't had much trouble at all. The only class that's been even slightly tough has been pure mage.

Mix up your attacks - quick attacks followed up with your magic. Practice the timing of dodges and parries.

It might help that I was a big fan of the Demons/Dark Souls games. :)

Mage isn't even a challenge. It's the most vulnerable in theory but elemental rage trivializes anything outside of oranges and orbital blades with block + staff attack combined with your ice blink/sphere of retaliation allows you to control any larger enemies very effectively. Charged chakram attack is a brutal single target attack you can get off once you've staggered/knocked down a tougher enemy. Mark of Fire is also always a very effective spell.

Higher level means you should have more skills to use. Plus the areas have caps. Now the castle area might not be capped at 18, I don't know.

I thought you were giving advice because you thought it was easy. if you get killed like 70 times, you should change up you strategy or go back to an earlier save. Though you might just be quicksaving and not have one.

Is english not your first language or are you having trouble understanding what I'm saying? I'm giving advice because I completed it as a pure mage. I completed that fight four days ago and even posted on it; I also explained that I got killed 70 times because I was wearing the wrong gear.

You can tell if you're over the cap for an area because the enemies names will change to a grey color. The boss and the lenashe/thresh were orange for me at level 18 which indicates they were higher level than I was and thus I was not over the cap. And I'm well aware that you have more abilities at level 18 which is why the very first thing I said to him was: You may be too low level.

scy

It took me a few tries as Finesse/Sorcery but I'll readily admit I Potioned the fight (and Reckoning to mop things up for the EXP bonus); I redid the fight something like 10 or 15 times to see if she had anything cool to drop :|

I still think she was one of the easier fights, though. Maybe it's because every boss fight since then I've been >Level 30 and using equipment meant for half my level but the rest of the bosses have been in the two shot territory for my HP.

Twinduct

I hope this means higher level caps!! =)
Btw got my copy on Friday, glad to say I've not encountered ANY bugs! This game is a complete call back for me to be playing a game throughout the night!

Also just want to add my voice to the chorus of upping the difficulty.

Wallach

Sounds cool. You probably can't give us any hints as to what's so fancy about it, but how about a hint as to when it might be coming our way?

erragal

It took me a few tries as Finesse/Sorcery but I'll readily admit I Potioned the fight (and Reckoning to mop things up for the EXP bonus); I redid the fight something like 10 or 15 times to see if she had anything cool to drop :|

I still think she was one of the easier fights, though. Maybe it's because every boss fight since then I've been >Level 30 and using equipment meant for half my level but the rest of the bosses have been in the two shot territory for my HP.

It's also tricky because the fight prior is challenging enough for many people to use reckoning for if they aren't willing to kite around the balcony or they don't go talk to Wencen first and use him as a distraction.

There is something to be said for the difficulty in this game having a lot to do with how much you manage your gear and even on how lucky you are in drops. Even so there are so many insanely powerful buff potions that can push you into overpowered territory long enough to destroy anything. I just switched out of meteors to a hammer might/sorcery hybrid and I actually got -more- powerful because I take less damage and yet hit just as hard overall. Build is secondary to your gear loadout on the whole.

Wallach

It's also tricky because the fight prior is challenging enough for many people to use reckoning for if they aren't willing to kite around the balcony or they don't go talk to Wencen first and use him as a distraction.

There is something to be said for the difficulty in this game having a lot to do with how much you manage your gear and even on how lucky you are in drops. Even so there are so many insanely powerful buff potions that can push you into overpowered territory long enough to destroy anything. I just switched out of meteors to a hammer might/sorcery hybrid and I actually got -more- powerful because I take less damage and yet hit just as hard overall. Build is secondary to your gear loadout on the whole.

Dispelling allowed me to prevent all of the story-related battles in that location, which I thought was neato.

Xater

I hope this means higher level caps!! =)
Btw got my copy on Friday, glad to say I've not encountered ANY bugs! This game is a complete call back for me to be playing a game throughout the night!

Also just want to add my voice to the chorus of upping the difficulty.

If higher level caps are in I will get the DLC. That is really important information.

erragal

Dispelling allowed me to prevent all of the story-related battles in that location, which I thought was neato.

That's another thing: not everyone is fighting the same fight. The entire questline is really just a lot of fun and definitely the highlight of the game so far.

Atruvius

Asking about housing.

So which questline, faction, area gives me
the castle (is there an ownable castle?)
and
the island fortress
?

Today I got to the red rock canyon area and the plane with the Worsworn castle. Those areas looks so much better than the forest. I just love the look them.

If this game had released last year it definitely had had been my game of the year. I'm so gonna platinum this.

scy

I was so surprised to see a Dispel check in the conversation options. I think I've seen one for nearly every skill, now that I think about it.

massoluk

Banned

Hard to resell my copy, seeing as I bought it through Steam.
/Option to Zoom the camera out first, please. That's all I ask.

ElyrionX

There's dead zones where you can hide from the Thresh and some massively pro Parries on the Sprites. "Doable" doesn't mean something I can imagine almost anyone actually doing at that level (or, more apt, at that skillset; not many options there). I'm so, so eager to get to this fight on my no Potion, no Reckoning playthrough!

I haven't done a single parry in this game. Does the game even teach you how to do it at any point in time? How do they work? I assume it's just timing the block? Are you able to parry-cancel out of your attack animations that you can't dodge-cancel out of?

Volcynika

Just beat
Amateir
(Travelers faction mission)

Was wondering why he was so incredibly difficult. Turns out I got the achievement for killing an enemy four levels higher than me with that. Basically used a firebow I had and slowly whittled him down to win. I had one regular healing potion, one potion that increased health regen, and that's it. I had saved when I got inside, unaware that it locked me in there. He needed only two solid hits to bring me down, or one and bleeding finished me off.

So crazy but so fun. Awesome music too!

Honestly, I don't want to play anymore until some balance patches come out. I'm 6 hours in and it feels like Fable for toddlers- which is saying something. I loved fable 2 and 3 but they were borderline too easy at times. This is worse.

Some of the fate bonuses are overpowered. Plus 17 percent bonus damage for a tier 2 fate? Yikes.
I can buy overpowered weapons and armor way too fast.
I'm not that far in and the cumulative effect of all those various bonuses is unbalancing.
Weapons that register as requiring level 2 and 3 seem too unbalanced for some odd reason.
I'm 5th or 6th level and I should never have put so many points into my sword as it ruins the game.
I level too fast.
There are not enough enemies to fight when I find them.
I have too many potions that I never use.
The amount of magic weapons I find is insane.
Heck, the amount of everything I find is insane. (I've got 4 levels of detech hidden).
The enemies kill way too quickly and only the Jotun & Trolls feel fun to fight so far.

My suggestions:

Shave off the numbers of potions and items that you find. Drastically lower the number of common magic weapons found.
Tweak the armor and health of the weaker enemies upward.
Add a few more enemies per encounter. Make them attack more often during an encounter.
Adjust downward some of the bonuses of fate cards, weapons, skills, etc.
Detect Hidden is compounding the problem of having too many items. I know I'm supposed to collect items at a Diablo style rate but this is too much even for that.
Increase the experience needed to raise in level. I level way too quickly and this will help to lessen the unbalancing effect of all those numerous bonus effects coming too early.
Raise the prices of the good magic items and lower the amount of gold gained when sold.
Raise the level requirements on some weapons. I feel like I'm getting them way too soon.

I don't mean to be rude but who the heck play tested this? I can see the desire to make the game accessible to the vast majority of gamers by making it easy but this doesn't even feel focused. Plus, you guys way over shot that goal.

After three hours I could weaponize and armor my character from head to toe by each effect (fire, lightning , ice, etc) and it was disheartening. I have only felt my character feeling balanced once and it was because I forgot that I was checking out my weakest weapon and left it equipped for a few fights.

I've been a very vocal supporter of the game but this is very disappointing and I can't hold back on this. The rest of the game feels very polished and I don't feel the camera and pop-in are even issues. Game balance is my main concern and it is a big one. This needs fixed ASAP. I've tried hard mode and while it lives up to its billing, it feels unbalanced as well. Some fights are a 2or 3 second aggravation and some are annoyingly hard. The game needs to have a more even feel balance wise.

gehrig38

Honestly, I don't want to play anymore until some balance patches come out. I'm 6 hours in and it feels like Fable for toddlers- which is saying something. I loved fable 2 and 3 but they were borderline too easy at times. This is worse.

Some of the fate bonuses are overpowered. Plus 17 percent bonus damage for a tier 2 fate? Yikes.
I'm not that far in and the cumulative effect of all those various bonuses is unbalancing.
Weapons that register as requiring level 2 and 3 seem too unbalanced for some odd reason.
I'm 5th or 6th level and I should never have put so many points into my sword as it ruins the game.
I level too fast.
Heck, the amount of everything I find is insane. (I've got 4 levels of detech hidden).
The enemies kill way too quickly and only the Jotun & Trolls feel fun to fight so far.

My suggestions:

Shave off the numbers of potions and items that you find. Drastically lower the number of common magic weapons found.
Add a few more enemies per encounter. Make them attack more often during an encounter.
Detect Hidden is compounding the problem of having too many items. I know I'm supposed to collect items at a Diablo style rate but this is too much even for that.
Increase the experience needed to raise in level. I level way too quickly and this will help to lessen the unbalancing effect of all those numerous bonus effects coming too early.
Raise the prices of the good magic items and lower the amount of gold gained when sold.
Raise the level requirements on some weapons. I feel like I'm getting them way too soon.

I don't mean to be rude but who the heck play tested this? I can see the desire to make the game accessible to the vast majority of gamers by making it easy but this doesn't even feel focused. Plus, you guys way over shot that goal.

After three hours I could weaponize and armor my character from head to toe by each effect (fire, lightning , ice, etc) and it was disheartening. I have only felt my character feeling balanced once and it was because I forgot that I was checking out my weakest weapon and left it equipped for a few fights.

I've been a very vocal supporter of the game but this is very disappointing and I can't hold back on this. The rest of the game feels very polished and I don't feel the camera and pop-in are even issues. Game balance is my main concern and it is a big one. This needs fixed ASAP. I've tried hard mode and while it lives up to its billing, it feels unbalanced as well. Some fights are a 2or 3 second aggravation and some are annoyingly hard.

You're like what, level 6 or so? The game will get more challenging I assure you, unless you are a console gaming world champ it does get more challenging, and I assume you're on hard mode up to this point?

That being said you shouldn't have had to wait to be challenged, I think most agree on that.

Hannar

Challenge ramps up significantly when you get out of Dalentarth and start facing enemies with similar abilities to your own. You won't find that in the first area at all, I'm afraid. I cruised through that area (was 20 when I left) and have found much more challenging content elsewhere.

You're like what, level 6 or so? The game will get more challenging I assure you, unless you are a console gaming world champ it does get more challenging, and I assume you're on hard mode up to this point?

That being said you shouldn't have had to wait to be challenged, I think most agree on that.

Dude, I really suck at most games. I'm an X button masher and I get smoked by anyone who bothers to "learn" any small amount about a games system of doing things. Trust me, I'm the dumbed down 3rd person action game audience to a T.

And no, I took it off hard mode fast. I found it too uneven to be enjoyable. It was either way too easy (meaning no difference) or out of the blue it was annoyingly hard for me.

ElyrionX

I level too fast.

My suggestions:

I've been a very vocal supporter of the game but this is very disappointing and I can't hold back on this. The rest of the game feels very polished and I don't feel the camera and pop-in are even issues. Game balance is my main concern and it is a big one. This needs fixed ASAP. I've tried hard mode and while it lives up to its billing, it feels unbalanced as well. Some fights are a 2or 3 second aggravation and some are annoyingly hard. The game needs to have a more even feel balance wise.

Ummmm, I agree with you fully on almost every point you raised. With that said, those points all become invalid if you give the game another 2 to 5 hours. The game picks up big time, especially on Hard, and it isn't a cakewalk anymore. Sometimes, you even need to approach regular mobs with care.

Ummmm, I agree with you fully on almost every point you raised. With that said, those points all become invalid if you give the game another 2 to 5 hours. The game picks up big time, especially on Hard, and it isn't a cakewalk anymore. Sometimes, you even need to approach regular mobs with care.

I hope so because this is really off-putting.

Dresden

And no, I took it off hard mode fast. I found it too uneven to be enjoyable. It was either way too easy (meaning no difference) or out of the blue it was annoyingly hard for me.

So it's too easy because . . . you're not playing on Hard, and that's because . . . it was too hard sometimes?

scy

Guess I got myself a
Castle
. Neat.

That's ... not really a lot, to be honest.

I level too fast.

I'm about to enter the last region of the game and will be at the level cap. Depends on how you feel about that, I suppose, but that's with me doing every single quest in the game. It's not so bad but the level scaling system needs some work due to how fast some early levels come. But I'm one of those who wouldn't mind if every enemy in the game scaled to Level 40+.

Make them attack more often during an encounter.

That's ... actually what Hard mode does.

Later vendors are 500k+ at base Mercantile. For terrible, terrible equipment. Though, I think the price comes down drastically after a few quests; I do have higher Mercantile now but I don't think that's enough to bring ~500-600k prices to 80k-ish.

Unless the last region goes crazy on giving me stuff, you don't actually get equipment above Level ~25 or so requirement. And enemies scale beyond that. So, technically speaking, enemies scale better than equipment will.

Does anyone know how the online pass stuff works? I have 2 360s that I use the same profile on. Can I download it on both or do I have to pick 1 machine to play that questline on? I'd like to switch between systems as I go.
Thanks in advance

AEREC

Damn...The Widow has been kicking my ass...spiders are annoying as hell, especially when in large groups.

Playing on hard and the game has been a decent challenge so far...Ive been splitting my points between Might and Sorcery and plan on going for the Champion build.

I didnt care for this game at first but Im finally getting into it and enjoying it though.

Top Bottom