• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

lsslave

Jew Gamer
/ignore. You read what you want to read into my statements.

Actually that is what it sounds like. I'm playing on Hard and while I have to drink potions and money is tighter because of it the difficulty is pretty much perfect.

I'd say this Hard is a good "Normal" but you complaining about it being too easy without playing the hardest difficulty means you are wrong this time

Sothpaw

Damn...The Widow has been kicking my ass...spiders are annoying as hell, especially when in large groups.

Playing on hard and the game has been a decent challenge so far...Ive been splitting my points between Might and Sorcery and plan on going for the Champion build.

I didnt care for this game at first but Im finally getting into it and enjoying it though.

That's good to hear. I actually like the world quite a bit (always love D&D style high fantasy) and am looking forward to some challenging fights.

P.S. My avatar brofists your avatar.

scy

So, has anyone tried playing on Hard with no Potions and no Reckoning? How's the difficulty then (if you're doing all the sidequests)?

That's what my next playthrough will be. I've been limiting my Potion and Reckoning use on this current playthrough and, honestly, some fights are rather rough for me. Some enemies just do a massive amount of damage.

/ignore. You read what you want to read into my statements.

While I do agree that the trash encounters should be a bit harder, your complaints are a bit disingenuous what with it being all of an hour into the game and not even actually using Hard difficulty (which actually does fix some of your qualms with the AI).

wat? Why wouldn't you want a shitload of extra exp? Use reckoning every time it pops up

Mostly because for every complaint about Potions, Reckoning is worse as far as difficulty is concerned. I'd be rather hard pressed to lose any fight where Reckoning was used really.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
That's what my next playthrough will be. I've been limiting my Potion and Reckoning use on this current playthrough and, honestly, some fights are rather rough for me. Some enemies just do a massive amount of damage.

While I do agree that the trash encounters should be a bit harder, your complaints are a bit disingenuous what with it being all of an hour into the game and not even actually using Hard difficulty (which actually does fix some of your qualms with the AI).

If it weren't for the fact enemies will attack in groups (which I am enjoying, too many, TOO many RPGs have the 1 at a time attacking thing) you could do it easily with shield and block but in the current state I'd say it'd be a challenge.

As for trash encounters, if they were harder all the time people might get bored of the game, but on hard I find if I don't actually try and just mash I'll die which is good, not super hard but can't just autopilot

Dresden

So, has anyone tried playing on Hard with no Potions and no Reckoning? How's the difficulty then (if you're doing all the sidequests)?

I was going for that until I ran into Maid of Windmere, where I shamefully popped Reckoning.

I'm also not using crafting because I like the feeling of wearing shit that dropped off the local boggart.

The difficulty would depend on what build you have, though. Anyone can probably do it with ease with a pure sorceror.

I was going for that until I ran into Maid of Windmere, where I shamefully popped Reckoning.

The difficulty would depend on what build you have, though. Anyone can probably do it with ease with a pure sorceror.

How about a Might/Sorcery build? Completely avoid Sorcery if you're not into easy mode games?

scy

If it weren't for the fact enemies will attack in groups (which I am enjoying, too many, TOO many RPGs have the 1 at a time attacking thing) you could do it easily with shield and block but in the current state I'd say it'd be a challenge.

And by block you mean Parry? I'm Level 39 (almost 40) with a decent Shield and a sort of low amount of HP (due to Finesse/Sorcery build not giving a lot of +HP per Ability point spent) and some regular blocked combos will do 30-50% of my life.

As for trash encounters, if they were harder all the time people might get bored of the game, but on hard I find if I don't actually try and just mash I'll die which is good, not super hard but can't just autopilot

Just some of them should be a little harder. Regular bandits, some wildlife, etc. The bigger enemies are fine for the most part, though I don't really consider some of them trash.

Klyka

Banned
Check out this baby I just found. At least I think it is a baby. Or was a baby. Or ATE a baby.
RGBMg.jpg

lsslave

Jew Gamer
And by block you mean Parry? I'm Level 39 (almost 40) with a decent Shield and a sort of low amount of HP (due to Finesse/Sorcery build not giving a lot of +HP per Ability point spent) and some regular blocked combos will do 30-50% of my life.

Just some of them should be a little harder. Regular bandits, some wildlife, etc. The bigger enemies are fine for the most part, though I don't really consider some of them trash.

30-50 percent is better than 100 percent from a combo ;)

erragal

Check out this baby I just found. At least I think it is a baby. Or was a baby. Or ATE a baby.
RGBMg.jpg

My favorite weapon model I've seen; too bad the stats on it are really underwhelming. All purple weapons should just have weapon sockets in them so they can match other weapons that do + blacksmithed weapons.

scy

30-50 percent is better than 100 percent from a combo ;)

Not when you can't heal :x

My favorite weapon model I've seen; too bad the stats on it are really underwhelming. All purple weapons should just have weapon sockets in them so they can match other weapons that do + blacksmithed weapons.

There's quite a few Unique equipment that are better than Blacksmith equipment of a certain level range just due to them getting better bonus amounts. Then you get equipment that looks good but has "wasted" conditional bonuses that aren't even that good :|

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Not when you can't heal :x

There's quite a few Unique equipment that are better than Blacksmith equipment of a certain level range just due to them getting better bonus amounts. Then you get equipment that looks good but has "wasted" conditional bonuses that aren't even that good :|

Just saying, if you HAVE to take the damage at least let your shield absorb some of it!

Some of these faction quests are among the best I have seen for an RPG with guilds and such. I am so wrapped up in the Warsworn faction and the sense of history that is revealed from it's lore, that it is like I am playing a main storyline. Not to mention the beautiful environment variety and all of the badass gear. This is one of those games that I will still be going back to years from now.

I just don't get the 'generic' comments at all. It is simply classic high fantasy and one of the better offerings of it's kind to come along in years, in my opinion. The pacing and how it gradually opens up and reveals more about the world through lore and stories is fantastic. The game is absolutely filled with rich content and was obviously a labor of love.

It's a huge game with a lot to take in. Give it time, and you will absolutely lose yourself in the world. Especially if you love old school high fantasy. In which sense, it is no more generic than the next modern military online frag-fest, with it's obligatory 5 hour campaign that people continually flock to in droves.

It is super generic, if such a concept is even possible. It is the arithmetic average of all possible generic high fantasies. There's even a whole race/subrace/whatever dedicated to what's basically badly done fake poetry, it doesn't get more generic than that. The writing is as bad as anything in Dragonlance Chronicles. "Old school high fantasy", maybe, but most of those read as if they were generated by a computer program anyway. Not saying I'm not enjoying it though, but "generic" is the exact word to describe it. A lot of people just like this kind of stuff, and there's nothing wrong with that, but pretending it isn't made up of predictable averageness and lack of originality is a bit pointless.

scy

The boss of the
House of Sorrows
just one shotted me. Through my block. Feels bad man :| Hit the level cap after the fight though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Good lord, I just hit 20, and I have so much mana regen and health regen on my armor that I'm not even potions at all anymore.

Not to mention that I get extra Fate from block attacks that I can just fate shift my way out of a sticky situation.

I'm certainly not complaining. I love getting to this point in RPGs.

moop1167

To get it work are you leaving it on in-game as well or do you have it off in-game and *only* forcing through inspector?

I still have it on in game but inspector is set to off/user defined then I set it on 16x.

It looks like there is a difference but maybe you can see. It just seemed like textures further out were more defined when I did it this way. Although, I was drunk when I got home and played last night haha.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm just getting started with this game, and I apologize if this question has been asked before, but is there a way to map more abilities to the right trigger? I have leveled up, and gained some sweet new spells, but now I find that I can map only four of them?

Rokam

I'm just getting started with this game, and I apologize if this question has been asked before, but is there a way to map more abilities to the right trigger? I have leveled up, and gained some sweet new spells, but now I find that I can map only four of them?

Sadly no, but if you have one of the abilities that is always on (poison, battle frenzy, shield in mage tree) just turn them on and remove their keybind.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sadly no, but if you have one of the abilities that is always on (poison, battle frenzy, shield in mage tree) just turn them on and remove their keybind.

Damn, that blows. :(
They should have made it possible to map certain abilities to the LB radial menu or something. I don't want to be switching out abilities every fight just to be able to summon my skeletal minion.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I frigging despise the camera in this game.

More I play, the more I hate it.

It is super generic, if such a concept is even possible. It is the arithmetic average of all possible generic high fantasies. There's even a whole race/subrace/whatever dedicated to what's basically badly done fake poetry, it doesn't get more generic than that. The writing is as bad as anything in Dragonlance Chronicles. "Old school high fantasy", maybe, but most of those read as if they were generated by a computer program anyway. Not saying I'm not enjoying it though, but "generic" is the exact word to describe it. A lot of people just like this kind of stuff, and there's nothing wrong with that, but pretending it isn't made up of predictable averageness and lack of originality is a bit pointless.

Its written by a guy that did a bunch of generic fantasy novels, so no surprise there

ironcreed

Banned

I am not saying that it is some original concept. I am simply saying that it is classic high fantasy, that may be ran through the mill and played out for a lot of folks, but many still love it and are enjoying the lore and sense of history that was put into this game. Which is quite a lot, by the way. Not to mention that playing through some of the faction quests is enough evidence that this is not some, hodge-podge, run-of-the-mill, write it up and spit it out pile of mediocrity.

Again, the concept itself and the character designs are hardly anything new or original, but it is still a project that is an obvious labor of love and has an old school charm for those of us who still dig this kind of stuff. It is packed with rich content for those who wish to delve into it, and were it not quality on the whole, I doubt so many would be loving it, nor would it have received such a positive reception critically by and large.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism

I've been mostly skipping Reckoning mostly because I keep forgetting about it. :p Potions are touch and go. Generally I don't feel I need to use them if I stay on top of things when fighting (mostly making sure to dodge everything). At most a minor health regen potion does the trick. I find once I'm comfortable with a particular monster's mechanics they aren't really much of a threat. For reference I've just defeated
Balor
so I think I've probably seen a decent number of different types of enemy encounters.

The biggest challenges I tend to get right now are if I get put against a Diskaru Tyrant coupled with other mobs because I'll try to get the smaller ones first since they can be a nuisance but still have to deal with the demon lobbing fireballs at me, doing their stretchy hand attack, and whatnot. Also don't like Crudoks. Those things annoy me. :p

Hawk269

This seems like the appropriate thread to remind folks, given the SICK amount of playtime some of you guys have.
DO NOT RESELL your copy if you love the game.
Our DLC, well, you are going to eat it alive.
Both premises are damn cool, but the content and 'stuff' in them is just bad ass.
Also, if you happen to be an Amalur fan, or a potential MMO fan, you're going to have a blast.

It sounds great Curt...love the plugging youve been doing the DLC in the last few posts of yours. Nothing says we love our fans that meaty DLC. Far too many times, DLC is small, maybe 2-3 hours worth of gameplay of something...by the sounds of it and the way you are talking it sounds like it going to be massive.

Speaking of the DLC...how is going to be accessed. Is it something that you can only do once you beat the game or is it something that can be done at any time. And since challenge/difficulty has been an on-going subject is the DLC going to scale to the players level etc.?

Dresden

Shout outs to 5 hour game reviewers.

truth

Finally getting out of Dalentarth! 17 or so hours spend and there's still a ton of shit I haven't done, I just need to move on because I'm getting sick of the place. All my faction quests lead out so that's as good a sign as any.

gehrig38

It sounds great Curt...love the plugging youve been doing the DLC in the last few posts of yours. Nothing says we love our fans that meaty DLC. Far too many times, DLC is small, maybe 2-3 hours worth of gameplay of something...by the sounds of it and the way you are talking it sounds like it going to be massive.

Speaking of the DLC...how is going to be accessed. Is it something that you can only do once you beat the game or is it something that can be done at any time. And since challenge/difficulty has been an on-going subject is the DLC going to scale to the players level etc.?

It will be anytime content once you buy it. It'll be more zones in the world sort of DLC, fitting inside the Amalur world map, and laying more groundwork for the games and world to come.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It will be anytime content once you buy it. It'll be more zones in the world sort of DLC, fitting inside the Amalur world map, and laying more groundwork for the games and world to come.

Dat EverQuest expansion DLC from the sounds of it. Well a bit smaller.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What's the issues with the camera... I don't have any troubles with it. Oh wait I play on mouse. Yeah I'm sorry pad players :( Camera is bad with it.

Hawk269

Very cool. BTW...is the MMO releasing this year? If you do a beta, alot of us here on Gaf are also MMO players and would love the Beta for you guys..with that comes our at times "blunt feedback"...but I figure you would rather have that type of feedback instead of feedback that is not helping make the game better.

My issue with centering the camera could have been made much easier if they simply allowed us to re-assign buttons on the controller. I'd love to move camera-center to L1 and move the potion selector to R3.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What's the issues with the camera... I don't have any troubles with it. Oh wait I play on mouse. Yeah I'm sorry pad players :( Camera is bad with it.

Strangely enough, I'm playing on a pad and I'm not bothered by the positioning of the camera. Every now and then it'll get stuck at weird angles when I'm fighting enemies in cramped areas like cave tunnels, but that's the extent of my problems with it.

My issue with centering the camera could have been made much easier if they simply allowed us to re-assign buttons on the controller. I'd love to move camera-center to L1 and move the potion selector to R3.

This I can get behind. There are a few buttons I'd like to switch around.

moop1167

Yep, camera is perfect with the mouse and keyboard. I tried using the controller for a bit last night and didn't like having to use the right joystick constantly to fix the angle.

Literally the only small problem I have is the closeness of it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Has nothing to do with the gamepad. It's just a poorly designed, clunky-ass camera. It's constantly bothersome.

I keep trying to play the game, but after 30 mins or so I have to turn it off. Just because it's so annoying.

These folks are lucky I'm not a game reviewer. I would've blasted them for it.

edit: you guys are weirdos. the problem with the camera is that it attempts to drive for you. more often than not, it just gets in the way of manual camera control. and when you eventually get frustrated trying to fight against it, and just let it drive, it doesn't ever fucking work. not to mention the "velocity" might as well just be relabeled "completely pointless faux lag that makes this game control like shit".

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Has nothing to do with the gamepad. It's just a poorly designed, clunky-ass camera. It's constantly bothersome.

I keep trying to play the game, but after 30 mins or so I have to turn it off. Just because it's so annoying.

These folks are lucky I'm not a game reviewer. I would've blasted them for it.

That's the thing. The camera isn't clunky on a mouse -.-

Lets me put it this way. The turning of your character for the most part is based on the direction you are facing, the camera has no DELAY OR MOMENTUM ON MOUSE, the default settings are a bit to high so you just turn that down on the speed of it. The game controls really good on pc cause all you have to do to move around in combat and the world is, move mouse, tap up to change your direction instantly. It makes the auto target of the system your bitch as well. Might as well be manual targeting. As the auto target mostly goes for who is in the center view of your camera.

vaelic

Banned
That's the thing. The camera isn't clunky on a mouse -.-

Lets me put it this way. The turning of your character for the most part is based on the direction you are facing, the camera has no DELAY OR MOMENTUM ON MOUSE, the default settings are a bit to high so you just turn that down on the speed of it. The game controls really good on pc cause all you have to do to move around in combat and the world is, move mouse, tap up to change your direction instantly. It makes the auto target of the system your bitch as well. Might as well be manual targeting. As the auto target mostly goes for who is in the center view of your camera.

it's clunky as hell with the mouse. way too janky and sketchy

Carm

So, I've come to a crossroads. I have two main quests, one sends me to the Plains of Erathell and the other to Detyre. All three faction quests are in Erathell as well. Is Detyre pretty small quest wise, compared to Erathell? Thinking Detyre first.

Turn the speed down to min like I said -.- I have over 50 hours with the game playing this way now. Feels fluid and fine.

Camera is bad no matter the control scheme, changing the speed doesn't make much of a difference. The fact that the camera moves before your character starts moving, using k+m, when walking around is off putting.

Kevtones

Level 5 about to take on my 2nd Webwood troll and I level up. The 3rd one moseys up and I realize I have Reckoning... I get about 40% to level 7 after killing it. SO nice :D

Playing on hard btw.

Absolutely love this game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
As for the people saying the game is too easy, Most of the challenge comes from the dungeons and stuff. The open world stuff in general is filler. I've had grey mobs on the outside of a place and once I've gone inside almost everything was orange. Which makes no god damn sense but what ever haha

Top Bottom