• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Beat the maid at level 11 without reckoning (on normal) earlier. The fight becomes ridiculous when
the thresh
gets involved. All I could do was dodge roll like a crazy person and concentrate on her, hoping that the fight would end immediately when she fell
luckily it did

It took 18 potions but she went down. I probably could have made it easier with some force potions and regens but I never remember to use those.

As far as crowd control (for a rogue) frost trap and arrow storm work really well once fully upgraded. Also discovered that frost trap -> knockdown -> arrow storm -> new attack string is a devastating combo.

age = 22

I like hitting things

In Haxhi. Can't remember which quest but it was in a chest.

Pretty sure it was random because I found the Frostblade as a hidden item.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Are you playing on Normal or Hard?

Just got the game, so I'm curious where I should start. If I start on Normal, is there a specific path through the quests/world I should follow so I don't over-level? And if I start Hard, is there a strategy to keep it manageable? Just looking for the best challenge, and some of the posts in this thread have me worried that the game may be too easy. Trying to avoid that if possible.

I'm playing on hard. Just learn to parry and dodge, that's all there is to it really.

Im_Special

Get widescreenfixer from here and the plugin from here.

Unzip widescreenfixer and put the plugin in the plugin map. Select the game and proper patch version. Change fov and the resolution to the one you use and you're done. Remember to set a hotkey in settings to change the fov ingame.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Beat the maid at level 11 without reckoning (on normal) earlier. The fight becomes ridiculous when
the thresh
gets involved. All I could do was dodge roll like a crazy person and concentrate on her, hoping that the fight would end immediately when she fell
luckily it did

It took 18 potions but she went down. I probably could have made it easier with some force potions and regens but I never remember to use those.

As far as crowd control (for a rogue) frost trap and arrow storm work really well once fully upgraded. Also discovered that frost trap -> knockdown -> arrow storm -> new attack string is a devastating combo.

age = 22

I like hitting things

In Haxhi. Can't remember which quest but it was in a chest.

Pretty sure it was random because I found the Frostblade as a hidden item.

Thanks. man i love this game

1stStrike

Banned
I decided to buy the game after all the praise in here and giving the PC demo a shot. I'm still not sure how I feel about it, but I'd like to give the full version a chance. I'm just a bit worried about the repetitive/redundant quest structure. Also, I imagine that the replayability of the game will be fairly low/non-existent due to the way it's structured, so hopefully it's long enough to make it worth full price.

I dodged skyrim, so this'll be my first western RPG in a while.

Klyka

Banned
I decided to buy the game after all the praise in here and giving the PC demo a shot. I'm still not sure how I feel about it, but I'd like to give the full version a chance. I'm just a bit worried about the repetitive/redundant quest structure. Also, I imagine that the replayability of the game will be fairly low/non-existent due to the way it's structured, so hopefully it's long enough to make it worth full price.

There is replayability because you can decide just not to go everywhere or do everything on your playthrough, exactly like in Skyrim.
Also, if you feel scared of boring quests, then ONLY stick to the main and faction quests. They are ALL quality.
There are tons of great sidequests too, but you might get some boring ones which could turn of a fickle person.

gehrig38

Honestly the replayability CAN be awesome if you love combat, as each tree is an insanely different game to me. But I'd recommend going literally ONLY main quest with some of the house reward quests if you do want to maximize replayability.

Next run? FIND EVERYTHING!! Also, on first run, or second, detect hidden, DETECT HIDDEN! You miss a CRAP TON of stuff from dungeon 1 on until you unlock secrete doors in detect hidden:)

And for you MMO Lore junkies, I am playing through with steno pad, noting NPC's, lorestone stories, and some other amalur driven lore as I know where it's heading, but it's hard to keep straight:)

P.S. No need to keep notes on Alyn Shir, she's going to have a pretty large rep whether you follow her legacy or not:)

scy

There's a few standout quests just because of the reward being something permanent:
Lowered casting cost quests, ones that give you new trainers, and the House/Mine/Castle ones come to mind
. I also like the areas in Detyre that have fully linked quests so the zone culminates in a finale that wraps up the other stories.

Honestly, there's a decent diversity in the quests if you take them from a lore perspective on why you're doing what you're doing. If you strip it bare then, yes, there's a lot of kill some dudes or fetch an item or clear a dungeon quests.

Also, I should finish my first run entirely with about 95% or so quest completion, if not 100% depending on the tasks, pretty soon.

vaelic

Banned

Unzip widescreenfixer and put the plugin in the plugin map. Select the game and proper patch version. Change fov and the resolution to the one you use and you're done. Remember to set a hotkey in settings to change the fov ingame.

Thanks. What fov do u recommend for 1920x1080 on 42" monitor?

Klyka

Banned
There's a few standout quests just because of the reward being something permanent:
Lowered casting cost quests, ones that give you new trainers, and the House/Mine/Castle ones come to mind
. I also like the areas in Detyre that have fully linked quests so the zone culminates in a finale that wraps up the other stories.

Honestly, there's a decent diversity in the quests if you take them from a lore perspective on why you're doing what you're doing. If you strip it bare then, yes, there's a lot of kill some dudes or fetch an item or clear a dungeon quests.

Like every game ever made if you boil it down to it's barebones.

Klyka

Banned

I tried this, but no matter which setting I use, it gives me extreme fisheye and I can only turn the fix on with a button and not off again. Need to leave game to fix it.
Playing on 1920x1080, Origin version.

1stStrike

Banned
I tried this, but no matter which setting I use, it gives me extreme fisheye and I can only turn the fix on with a button and not off again. Need to leave game to fix it.
Playing on 1920x1080, Origin version.

Quote from the dev of the plugin:

Steam version Only!!! - Origin is not supported (nor I can add support for it I don't have that version)

There is replayability because you can decide just not to go everywhere or do everything on your playthrough, exactly like in Skyrim.
Also, if you feel scared of boring quests, then ONLY stick to the main and faction quests. They are ALL quality.
There are tons of great sidequests too, but you might get some boring ones which could turn of a fickle person.

Honestly the replayability CAN be awesome if you love combat, as each tree is an insanely different game to me. But I'd recommend going literally ONLY main quest with some of the house reward quests if you do want to maximize replayability.

Next run? FIND EVERYTHING!! Also, on first run, or second, detect hidden, DETECT HIDDEN! You miss a CRAP TON of stuff from dungeon 1 on until you unlock secrete doors in detect hidden:)

And for you MMO Lore junkies, I am playing through with steno pad, noting NPC's, lorestone stories, and some other amalur driven lore as I know where it's heading, but it's hard to keep straight:)

P.S. No need to keep notes on Alyn Shir, she's going to have a pretty large rep whether you follow her legacy or not:)

Thanks guys. I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes. I tend to have shiny object syndrome, so I'll probably get sucked in by every quest and have my inventory bursting at the seams in no time.

Given the problems I had with the PS3 version, I took the game back to Wal-Mart this afternoon in an attempt to switch it for the 360 version. Of course, their policy dictated that I couldn't swap it due to it being opened. So I spent another $60 for the 360 version. The PS3 copy will likely sit on my shelf.

Curt, I've supported you guys twice now! :p

ShdwDrake

Banned
Given the problems I had with the PS3 version, I took the game back to Wal-Mart this afternoon in an attempt to switch it for the 360 version. Of course, their policy dictated that I couldn't swap it due to it being opened. So I spent another $60 for the 360 version. The PS3 copy will likely sit on my shelf.

Curt, I've supported you guys twice now! :p

What problems have you had?

smr00

Banned
Anyone know how to get the mass effect bonus stuff from playing the demo? i played and beat the demo twice and nothing.

EDIT- To the poll guy, i am 27.

Absolutely love this game and as someone who generally has 0 interest in MMO's, i am actually super excited to see what they do with the MMO.

Grinchy

Banned
Anyone else ever feel like there's a huge delay when they are trying to dodge or block? It's like there's no animation cancelling whatsoever, so if you are striking one enemy, and you notice another about to hit you, trying to dodge or block won't register until the complete animation of your attack is over with.

I sometimes find myself mashing (B) on my controller 4 or 5 times before I can get my character to dodge a hit that's being telegraphed.

Anyone else ever feel like there's a huge delay when they are trying to dodge or block? It's like there's no animation cancelling whatsoever, so if you are striking one enemy, and you notice another about to hit you, trying to dodge or block won't register until the complete animation of your attack is over with.

I sometimes find myself mashing (B) on my controller 4 or 5 times before I can get my character to dodge a hit that's being telegraphed.

What platform are you playing on? Pc, Xbox360?

PC. Using a PS3 controller emulating a 360 controller from motioninjoy. I play most non-FPS PC games this way and I've never had input issues as a result.

I had it few times so far but clearing cache on xbox solved the problem, not sure what to do with it on PC. It wasn't only during battles for me though, I had delay with everything, picking up stuff, harvesting etc.

alba

Little is the new Big
Widescreen fixer gives me the fisheye problem too and I'm using the steam version, I don't get it :/

I'm 25.

PC. Using a PS3 controller emulating a 360 controller from motioninjoy. I play most non-FPS PC games this way and I've never had input issues as a result.

I'm pretty sure you can't cancel every attack animation into a block or dodge. You have to be committed to some attacks, usually the ones at the end of a combo.

Edit: Although, I'm using the exact same control setup as you so maybe it is a bug.

So much better with the FOV fix

FOV90

Damn and this is why I was tempted to put my game on the shelf until a fix like this came for consoles. Game is just too addicting to wait for a possible fix. Look how great that looks to play and be able to see more of the world the designers created without constantly messing with the camera.

Grinchy

Banned
I had it few times so far but clearing cache on xbox solved the problem, not sure what to do with it on PC. It wasn't only during battles for me though, I had delay with everything, picking up stuff, harvesting etc.

Interesting. Well, it's not like I've done any major testing or anything. Without knowing for sure, I think that when I dodge or block while not in an attack pattern, there's never a delay. But sometimes even if I have just run away and let go of (A) on 360 controller, I can't dodge immediately, resulting in being hit by the huge bastard troll chasing me as I smash the dodge button.

Wallach

I'm curious... taking a poll.

those in LOVE with the game, list your age. I am 35

I'm 29.

Only full set I have is the . . . House of Ballads armor. Lol.

Otherwise I have single pieces for like seven different sets.

Yeah, welcome to my world. I have not collected more than two pieces of any set yet. Luckily there are those sets that are in static locations so this game can't hold out on me forever.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Fuck me.. I never get games at launch but I just spent close to 80 bucks to get this game in Japan. Why? I have no idea..I just..want to play it. I want a Skyrim-like experience but I'm not going to support Bethesda. Supporting this seems like a win-win considering how awesome Curt has been in the threads here. There ya go.

alba

Little is the new Big
okay, I figured it out. I just had to lower my resolution a lot and did a lot of trial and error but got something I like :D

Really getting into this after about 10 hours now. The combat and character progression is right. And they got that loot shit down too. Still bored by the world, but it's more open than I expected it would be. Also like the crafting.

Einbroch

Banned
And, with that, I'm done with the game. Shame. Game froze while autosaving, turned my 360 back on and all data (other games and this one) is gone.

Maybe one day I'll pick it back up.

fuuian

Neo Member
27, love the game. Shitty screenshot quality, I don't have screen capture with Xbox.

tbnwm.jpg

[Edit] Dreadscale Armor

Top Bottom