• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

ZZMitch

I am horrible at the lockpicking mini game, can anyone give any pointers?

I wish I could move the thing at the top slower with the left stick, it just goes so fast that by the time I see my lockpick shaking I do not have time to react before the lockpick breaks. And the second I try to ease up on the left stick the the thing on the top goes all the way back to the beginning.

And, with that, I'm done with the game. Shame. Game froze while autosaving, turned my 360 back on and all data (other games and this one) is gone.

Maybe one day I'll pick it back up.

Feel sorry for you mate :( I'm afraid that something like that will happen to me one day and that's why I always backup my saves .

laika09

I wish I could move the thing at the top slower with the left stick, it just goes so fast that by the time I see my lockpick shaking I do not have time to react before the lockpick breaks. And the second I try to ease up on the left stick the the thing on the top goes all the way back to the beginning.

The gears will start to slow down before the lockpick vibrates, so if you see that then make a minor adjustment. The 'correct' angle won't change so there's no issue in letting the progress reset.

edit: that's on a console, is the game any different on PC?

Wallach

What's more frustrating on PC that they totally ignore the controller deadzone during the minigame, so letting go of the stick is only a 50/50 that the slider stops at all.

Gattsu25

Banned

Move the stick down and then slowly slide it to the right.

You still need fast reflexes but you can sometimes get enough time to let off the stick in time.

I *finally* figured out the crafting system in this game. I love how synergistic the crafting disciplines are

Alrus

About 25 hours in and I'm addicted to this game! I love the style, I love the combat and the story so far is pretty good. It's not perfect by any means but I still love everything about it.

I'm doing a pure mage build and it's working great for me so far. Element Fury is probably my favorite spell, looks cool and is really fun to use on a group of mobs. I was mostly using shakrams but I'm getting a bit bored of them.

Even on Hard the game is a bit easy though, the only boss that gave me trouble was the House of Ballads one, since then I had no real troubles as long as I'm not doing stupid things. I haven't crafted a single piece of equipment yet btw, just using what I found. Thankfully combat is still fun enough and the story has me hooked so it's not too much of an issue.

I have a lot of trouble with dispelling though, don't know if it's due to some lag on my part, but I feel like I have to click before the circle goes on the glyph to get it activated. I have zero trouble lockpicking even the hardest locks though, thus I haven't invested a single point in that skill.

ZZMitch

I have a lot of trouble with dispelling though, don't know if it's due to some lag on my part, but I feel like I have to click before the circle goes on the glyph to get it activated. I have zero trouble lockpicking even the hardest locks though, thus I haven't invested a single point in that skill.

I can't even get average locks yet >.<

Just wasted four lockpicks on this chest, arg. I will get you one day!

1stStrike

Banned
Hrm, finished dling the game through steam. Time to give the widescreen fixer a chance and see how it works.

But, first, I need to build my character. I'm torn between a rogue/stealth character and a battle mage. I want to make a mage that gets into the thick of combat and cracks some heads, but can teleport around and stuff.

Hrm, finished dling the game through steam. Time to give the widescreen fixer a chance and see how it works.

But, first, I need to build my character. I'm torn between a rogue/stealth character and a battle mage. I want to make a mage that gets into the thick of combat and cracks some heads, but can teleport around and stuff.

You will have enough points to make hybrids and still get deep into the skill trees (assuming you also do a lot of side quests, and you should because many of them are really meaty and good) so I would suggest a Mage/Rogue hybrid.

ReaperXL7

So sadly due to no screenshot feature on PS3 (38 studios :p ) I had to take some snaps with my camera.

DSCF2005.jpg

DSCF2003.jpg

Level 16 warden (Might/Finesse), Great Sword main, Bow secondary. The bows has become pretty damn awesome as i've gained more abilities, Arrow storm is kind of situational because of how long it takes to wind up, but it's been a pretty useful upgrade. Have a feeling multishot will be very useful once I can grab that.

scy

Beat the game with 210 quests completed (well, 196 + 14 tasks that are done / repeatable) and 74.5 hours.

... missing three lorestones. :|

ReaperXL7

Beat the game with 210 quests completed (well, 196 + 14 tasks that are done / repeatable) and 74.5 hours.

... missing three lorestones. :|

There is supposed to be stuff you can only do after the main quest is completed :p , also how many houses did you aquire?

scy

There is supposed to be stuff you can only do after the main quest is completed :p , also how many houses did you aquire?

Well:
Canneroc House, the Mine in Detyre, the house in Adessa, Seawatch Castle, and the house in Rathir
. Going to find those missing Lorestones and check some dungeons I skipped on the run to the final dungeon.

1stStrike

Banned
So, here's what that FOV "fixer" did for me. I set it to 90 at 1920x1080 resolution. Pretty nasty.

fov03dqp.png

Pretty much unusable with that. I'm interested to know how people have gotten this to not look like shit.

scy

. . .

So I think I found one of the post-game only dungeons (at least, last I saw it I couldn't enter it) and uh ...
wtf Chicken Overlord?!

Vestal

Has anyone been able to update this game?!?! Been playing it for a while, tried updating like 10 times when launching and it just hangs at 0%..

MY GOD ORIGIN IS @%#%#@% CRAPPY.

DanielJr82

Finished the first Warsworn main quest and one board quest. Got the
Stern Helm
* as a reward for finishing it, am I going to get the
rest of the Stern set
from finishing other Warsworn story quests or are they hidden somewhere for me to find right now?

I'm debating if I should continue the main story line quest or keep exploring the Warsworn faction.

*Don't know if those are considered spoilers, playing it safe anyway.

Rokam

So for anyone that's completed the Scholia Arcana quest series I have a question
do my new quarters receive anything daily/weekly like the house in Cannorac (Webwood)?

Hawk269

Since I have both the PC and the 360 versions of the game, I decided to try something. I took my Level 5 Character that has the ME3 armor and decided to just make a run to the big castle looking city on the world map. As I progressed, I was attacked by enemies, some I would run from as I started my journey...as I got closer to my destination, I decided to stop and fight some enemies here and there, playing on hard mind you.

When I first started, I left town with 10 health potions, did not activate any other buffs or anything else. In my travel to get to this city I fought 8 different mobs on the way, the last being right outside of the citys entrance area. Even on hard, my Level 5 character was able to easily destroy the mobs I came across. I only used 3 of the 10 health potions I brought with me.

Now, I am not sure how exactly this game works as far as scalling to the characters level, but I would think that the farther away from the starting town, the harder stuff should be. I also read that it is in the dungeons in these farther areas is where the challenge really is.

I know the team is already looking into the difficulty thing and i dont mean to bring this up as another example, but more to understand the games mechanics. I was actually shocked on how easy it was for me to make it as far as I did and only use 3 potions...I was really expecting to get 1 shot killed half-way there, but made my way pretty easily.

alba

Little is the new Big
So, here's what that FOV "fixer" did for me. I set it to 90 at 1920x1080 resolution. Pretty nasty.

I had the same issue, what you have to do is basically cut your resolution in half (if not more) since it won't actually affect the resolution but will remove the fisheye crap. It's pretty damn weird :O

ReaperXL7

Think it's been mentioned before but, on Dungeons
I just got to this cave with fish swimming around in the ceiling (coilsbane), and all it's an awesome effect. There is a ton of great little touches, and varitey in locations in Reckoning.
can't wait to see whatelse they have up their sleeve.

Aselith

I played KoA for the first time for about an hour earlier and then left for a minute and came back and the game made me log into my EA account again? I have a pretty complex password that I didn't memorize. What the fuck is this shit? Am I living in 1995 again? Have I entered a timewarp here?

Hannar

Anyone else ever feel like there's a huge delay when they are trying to dodge or block? It's like there's no animation cancelling whatsoever, so if you are striking one enemy, and you notice another about to hit you, trying to dodge or block won't register until the complete animation of your attack is over with.

I sometimes find myself mashing (B) on my controller 4 or 5 times before I can get my character to dodge a hit that's being telegraphed.

I haven't experienced that. There is animation cancelling, depending on where you are in your actual attack chain.

Each weapon has a different chain. The weaker weapons are longer (the daggers, for instance, are a 6 chain attack), and the bigger weapons are much shorter. Up until you reach the power move of each attack chain (the power move is the one that imparts any status effects, etc.) you can cancel out of it with a dodge/roll/block. Once you reach that power move, you are committed to the action and cannot stop. At any point in the attack chain you can always cancel up to a magic attack/ability, but in doing so, you lock yourself into that attack. Once you've done that, you've paid a mana cost and are going to go through with the attack/animation.

About that quest to create 3 staves...
one of them breaks down into a purple piece that has like 100 base damage. That's way better than my current weps, but how good is that for the long run? I don't really have many good components to support it at the moment, so I was thinking about hanging on to it to craft later.

Wallach

How did you get the mass effect armor? i played the demo and beat it multiple times, still nothing.

There should have been a code for the armor in the game box if you bought it new. For the PC version you just get it automatically since it is tied to the registration code.

Just got my first broken quest. Very frustrating when it happens at the last step of a chain. Under Watch, if anyone has had a similar problem.

scy

Just got my first broken quest. Very frustrating when it happens at the last step of a chain. Under Watch, if anyone has had a similar problem.

It's a bit weird but try returning for the turn-in after
finishing the other questline involving her
. I had a similar issue with the turn-in of the quest.

And, with that, I'm done with the game. Shame. Game froze while autosaving, turned my 360 back on and all data (other games and this one) is gone.

Maybe one day I'll pick it back up.

That sucks man. I always thought the common "single auto-save" system of modern games was absolutely retarded. All it takes is one freeze or power outage to ruin countless hours of progress.

How hard would it be to design your game to alternate between two auto-saves, so that when the main one is corrupted, there is a backup one to fall back onto.

Wallach

I always thought the common "single auto-save" system of modern games was absolutely retarded. All it takes is one freeze or power outage to ruin countless hours of progress.

How hard would it be to design your game to alternate between two auto-saves, so that when the main one is corrupted, there is a backup one to fall back onto.

I agree that the two auto-save system is better (something I played recently does this, maybe Skyrim), but his entire HDD seems to have failed, so it really wouldn't have helped him.

gehrig38

The ME3 armor is the reward for completing the 45m timer at the end of the demo.
FWIW just hit 9, or was it 10? In and around Ettinmere, ya, I think I should have started on hard mode. However I have had some harder battles, harder than I expected.
Full on Sorcery build.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That sucks man. I always thought the common "single auto-save" system of modern games was absolutely retarded. All it takes is one freeze or power outage to ruin countless hours of progress.

It had nothing to do with a single auto save. ALL HIS HARD DRIVES DATA IS GONE. aka he got royaly FUCKED. D:

I never trust auto save systems though if I can I always manual save once every 30 minutes.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This game is so awesome — it will probably end up as one of the most pleasant surprises of the generation for me. I expected it to be pretty good, but not THIS good. It just hits all the right notes.

Also, I really didn't care for the art style when I first saw some footage from the game, but after seeing more and more, and playing it myself, I'm actually loving it. The pop-in on the 360 can be pretty significant at times, and it's not a technical marvel, but damn, sometimes the visuals are just stunning. All of the vibrant colors of the environments really pop, and are such a nice change of pace from from the 90% grey-and-brown Skyrim, and the rest of the mostly-colorless 360 catalog.

Top Bottom