• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Been playing the 360 version now for a couple hours, installed to hard drive. Goddamn is it nice. Just got to the first town. Really trying to role-play my Rogue. Having fun so far. An NPC woman I talked to mentioned the Planes of Erathell, and it sounds like a nice place. I think I'm just going to slowly wander that way.

DOA

Dear 38 Studios,

I want my life back.

this game has sucked too much time, and killed my social life, more than usual.
i've started playing it two days ago, thanks to the european release date. on friday i've played for 8.5 hours and on saturday i've played 13 hours, which most of the game playing was between 22:00 last night till 07:00 in the morning today. i haven't slept at all. i'm now running on reserves.

I wonder if this is a valid excuse in court: "sorry about the accident, but i've played a game too much time. i'm addicted (puss in boots eyes here)."

so to summarize this: i'm gonna say goodbye to all of my friends. get a year of supplies. quit my job, and get pain medications. i'm hooked.

PS - i've played for 10 hours at the beginning, and didn't even start the main, MAIN, quest:
straight from the exit of the well of souls

fuuian

Neo Member
Anyone else notice on one of the loading screens it says that Greatsword is slowest but most damaging melee weapon? I usually don't nitpick but every time I see it, I always tell myself "
nope
".

Xevren

I noticed on one of the loading screen's it said you can assign an ability to a button to use that will take the place of a sustained ability after it is activated, how do you do that? Would be really nice to have another ability to map.

Wallach

I noticed on one of the loading screen's it said you can assign an ability to a button to use that will take the place of a sustained ability after it is activated, how do you do that? Would be really nice to have another ability to map.

Just cast the sustained ability, then go back into the menu and assign that slot to a different ability. It won't cancel the sustained ability.

Dear 38 Studios,

I want my life back.

this game has sucked too much time, and killed my social life, more than usual.
i've started playing it two days ago, thanks to the european release date. on friday i've played for 8.5 hours and on saturday i've played 13 hours, which most of the game playing was between 22:00 last night till 07:00 in the morning today. i haven't slept at all. i'm now running on reserves.

I wonder if this is a valid excuse in court: "sorry about the accident, but i've played a game too much time. i'm addicted (puss in boots eyes here)."

so to summarize this: i'm gonna say goodbye to all of my friends. get a year of supplies. quit my job, and get pain medications. i'm hooked.

PS - i've played for 10 hours at the beginning, and didn't even start the main, MAIN, quest:
straight from the exit of the well of souls

I'm addicted too. It's okay we can form some kind of support group lol.

Rokam

End the day at level 33, 2.5 million gold, and all of Plains done. Time to move on to Detyre. Probably way way way outleveled for it.

Aselith

My badass little Albino Assassiness still rocking the Shepherd armor as I am only 5 hours deep:

13FB4309C29081ACA2E0A674E429FDDE2D228C4E

I very much like how she turned out.

Rokam

They should make it the higher level you are the less likely mobs are to attack you if they're lower. They should be running away from me.

Rokam

You easily get overleveled when traversing the world but the indoor levels always have scaled enemies. Some people tend to forget that.

Only certain indoor areas. The first area I did in Detyre that had me running in and out of the same tomb, all the mobs were grey, as well as the boss at the very end of the quest chain. But that's okay, I'm a completionist it happens!

MrHicks

Banned
WTF is the point of difficulty levels is you can just spam potions?
been watching some streams and EVERY TIME someone gets low health they chug a potion

is there seriously no cooldown on those things?
first the blacksmithing turns you into a god + infinite potion spam??

why why why

Midou

been watching some streams and EVERY TIME someone gets low health they chug a potion

why why why

I'd imagine it may be because certain people have trouble without it, it's pretty easy to get combo'd by lots of enemies jumping at you from all directions. What they should have done is at least put a cooldown or something on it for hard mode.

Well I planned on getting this game today, no luck.

Tesco - Not even charted, no stock and not even a mention of when they would get it.

Game - No stock or even charted on Xbox 360. Had several PS3 copies @ £42.99

Gamestation - Same as above

Sucks :( I wanted to see if there were any deals with it, oh well off to order online somewhere!

Grinchy

Banned
I haven't experienced that. There is animation cancelling, depending on where you are in your actual attack chain.

I think what was happening for me was I was noticing a "delay" when trying to dodge or block after magic moves. When I went back and tried to replicate the problem, it wasn't happening until I started using magic again. It turns out there is no problem. Once I realized how long some of the magic animations were, the dodging became a lot more consistent for me.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

why why why

If you need to spam potions you suck. Let the people feel like they are doing something though. It's not like they are boasting about how good they are. And if they bitch about it being to easy, just ask why the hell they need to chug a pot every 5 seconds if it's easy

syllogism

It's a game mechanic. Working as intended. That's like saying it can't be too easy because they are using their offensive abilities or dodging enemy attacks.

Besides, no need for potions either when meteor one shots every single enemy in the game

Klyka

Banned
It's also a single player game and people chugging potions or not does not change your personal game experience in any way :D

pyros

I'm quite confused, just started playing this game and chose to be a Dokkalfar, but 5 hours in and no NPC seems to acknowledge my race

MrHicks

Banned
If you need to spam potions you suck. Let the people feel like they are doing something though. It's not like they are boasting about how good they are. And if they bitch about it being to easy, just ask why the hell they need to chug a pot every 5 seconds if it's easy

the only way to have a challenge is when you artificially gimp yourself
"i wont use potions even though i can"
"i wont pimp out blacksmithing even though i can"

this shouldn't be the case
hard should be hard even with all the bells and whistles the game allows

now its like "to have fun i won't use some game features or else i'm invincible"
thats just bad and shouldn't happen

Klyka

Banned
I'm quite confused, just started playing this game and chose to be a Dokkalfar, but 5 hours in and no NPC seems to acknowledge my race

There are a few situations where it is casually thrown in the dialogue, but mostly NPCs will refer to your deeds and your faction titles.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Well I planned on getting this game today, no luck.

Tesco - Not even charted, no stock and not even a mention of when they would get it.

Game - No stock or even charted on Xbox 360. Had several PS3 copies @ £42.99

Gamestation - Same as above

Sucks :( I wanted to see if there were any deals with it, oh well off to order online somewhere!

game and gamestation on first week only stock pre order copies. That's what my local gamestation manager told me atleast

Gattsu25

Banned
Yeah, tell me about it

I didn't know that the 1st and 2nd human races had substantially different available complexions and now I am looking at the 18hrs played on my character and second guessing if I should be starting over.

I won't though, because I know that if I do I will drop the game in 5 hours :\

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I played like half an hour of the demo and it reminded me a lot of Fable, does it get better? (fyi i hate Fable)

It's not like Fable, but to me it felt a lot like I was playing a solo MMORPG. Some people really dig that, others don't.

Hannar

the only way to have a challenge is when you artificially gimp yourself
"i wont use potions even though i can"
"i wont pimp out blacksmithing even though i can"

this shouldn't be the case
hard should be hard even with all the bells and whistles the game allows

now its like "to have fun i won't use some game features or else i'm invincible"
thats just bad and shouldn't happen

My view: you don't have to artificially gimp yourself. You can still use potions. But having access to them doesn't mean it's not hard. If you're spamming potions, you're not very good. The encounters you are in are better than you are. You need to improve.

Hard doesn't necessarily mean you're going to die every 15 minutes, or every time you make a mistake. There are 200+ hours of content in this game, so I can understand not wanting to be stuck on one section and replaying it for an hour. If you're having to run to the shop to buy more potions, or farm reagents so that you can craft more, it's a time sink as well.

syllogism

My view: you don't have to artificially gimp yourself. You can still use potions. But having access to them doesn't mean it's not hard. If you're spamming potions, you're not very good. The encounters you are in are better than you are. You need to improve.
This is nonsense; if you are not having any issues with the encounters, it's not difficult. It's a very easy game even on hard. Having to use the resources and abilities you have access to does not change anything. There is no difference in using potions or using equipment you find or abilities you unlock. Whether you are "very good" or not isn't relevant at all, just the difficulty of the game. Besides you don't ever have to buy or craft potions, the ones you find are more than enough.

Aaron

Had my first super hard battle near the end of the House of Ballads storyline. Had to fight a champion and two... I don't know what the hell they were, but they had tons of life and could kill me in two melee hits, or spit poison that tracked. The champion was a pushover, but those things took me like a dozen tries. My armor sucked, but I've had a hard time finding anything decent on that front. Found some great weapons though.

Haha, blacksmithing + sagecrafting totally breaks the game. I've got a few pieces of Azurite armour I smithed that's better than any I've found, and some more socketed with gems that regenerate 1.5% HP and MP per second. I don't even need to use potions any more.

Gattsu25

Banned
Had my first super hard battle near the end of the House of Ballads storyline. Had to fight a champion and two... I don't know what the hell they were, but they had tons of life and could kill me in two melee hits, or spit poison that tracked. The champion was a pushover, but those things took me like a dozen tries. My armor sucked, but I've had a hard time finding anything decent on that front. Found some great weapons though.

Ahh yeah, they look like a giant maggot with cricket legs, human hands on the legs, and a human torso+demon face?

They pop up in random corners of most of the maps that I've been to. I really like the enemy designs in this game.

Haha, blacksmithing + sagecrafting totally breaks the game. I've got a few pieces of Azurite armour I smithed that's better than any I've found, and some more socketed with gems that regenerate 1.5% HP and MP per second. I don't even need to use potions any more.
It took me FOREVER to realize that you have to break down equipment as I picked up blacksmithing only recently. Now I'm looking at all those levels where I was using ME3 armor and kicking myself

Also, I went a solid 13 hours in this game without getting ANY leather or cloth gear from drops. I had to start equipping heavy gear out of necessity. I've started getting leather loot again but it's not that great compared to the heavy stuff that I'm wearing.

My question is: is it worth giving up the high defense of heavy armor to go with leather gear+HP regen? I'm looking at a 50% increase in the defense stat with my current heavy gear versus anything that I've ever found for leather gear.

ElyrionX

Fought Gnarsh at Level 17. Ummm, I was expecting more since everyone talks about that fight being hard but it wasn't even anywhere close to being as hard as the two fights in the House of Ballads finale. In fact, I think it's one of the easiest boss fights. It was just a single enemy with the same attack patterns as common mob trolls but with a longer life bar.

One thing I am appreciating about this game is that the dungeons are relatively smaller than most RPGs. I like that a lot. Skyrim's dungeons tend to drag on and on and I have no idea who the hell thought that would be good dungeon design. I prefer these grab-and-go dungeons in KoAR. You don't fight too many of the same type of enemies in one stretch and there are no inane "puzzles" to slow you down. Very nice.

Jrmint

Anyone know where you get the:

Key to open the chest that is behind the hidden door in Shieldring Keep? It cannot be lock-picked.

This is nonsense; if you are not having any issues with the encounters, it's not difficult. It's a very easy game even on hard. Having to use the resources and abilities you have access to does not change anything. There is no difference in using potions or using equipment you find or abilities you unlock. Whether you are "very good" or not isn't relevant at all, just the difficulty of the game. Besides you don't ever have to buy or craft potions, the ones you find are more than enough.

Until they patch in a harder difficulty, and especially since you know potions are such a boon, LIMIT YOURSELF, if you can sell gear you don't need, do the same with potions, JUNK THEM when you carry no more than 10, don't get any more till you fall below 2 then you can pat yourself on the back at your self control and i can stop seeing the same people complaining ad naseum about an established flaw (to those who enjoy a lot more of a challenge.)

Gattsu25

Banned
Fought Gnarsh at Level 17. Ummm, I was expecting more since everyone talks about that fight being hard but it wasn't even anywhere close to being as hard as the two fights in the House of Ballads finale. In fact, I think it's one of the easiest boss fights. It was just a single enemy with the same attack patterns as common mob trolls but with a longer life bar.
I'm at the point where the larger enemies never hit me once. The only difficulty I had with the Gnarsh fight was hitting the +100XP bonus with the fate-shifting finishing move. I hate that button mashing QTE :\

syllogism

Until they patch in a harder difficulty, and especially since you know potions are such a boon, LIMIT YOURSELF, if you can sell gear you don't need, do the same with potions, JUNK THEM when you carry no more than 10, don't get any more till you fall below 2 then you can pat yourself on the back at your self control and i can stop seeing the same people complaining ad naseum about an established flaw (to those who enjoy a lot more of a challenge.)
Should I also restrain myself from using tempest/meteor, both of which basically one-shot (or in the case of tempest sometimes two-shot) every single group of enemies you encounter? This is without "abusing" blacksmithing; meteor easily does 4+k damage in massive AoE and with good equipment you can go over 10k.

ElyrionX

Should I also restrain myself from using tempest/meteor, both of which basically one-shot (or in the case of tempest sometimes two-shot) every single group of enemies you encounter? This is without "abusing" blacksmithing; meteor easily does 4+k damage in massive AoE and with good equipment you can go over 10k.

Hmm, I just unlocked Tempest. Seems really hard to use in most fights. The charge-up time is sooooooo long that I tend to get interrupted before it goes off. I heard that's not an issue with Meteor though since you can't get interrupted during casting or something.

syllogism

Hmm, I just unlocked Tempest. Seems really hard to use in most fights. The charge-up time is sooooooo long that I tend to get interrupted before it goes off. I heard that's not an issue with Meteor though since you can't get interrupted during casting or something.
I thought so first as well, but when I figured out the charge-up timing and the AoE, getting interrupted became a rarity. Yes it's easier with meteor not only due to different charge up mechanic, but also because it's not centered at the player. Also tempest tends to staggers enemies, so even if doesn't kill everything instantly you can cast it again immediately.

Effect

Anyone know why the price dropped on the Xbox 360 version on Amazon? Something wrong with that version compared to the others?

Torraz

Finesse users can use "smoke bomb" to steal with near impunity from friendly NPCs.

Go into stealth, be detected, use smoke bomb and steal with a 95% chance of success.

---

Since I was getting bored of pure finesse (and using bow somehow breaks the AI for me) I've respecced to nearly full might with enough points in sorcery for the sustained shield. Liking it so far and a very different playstyle!

---

What are the locations which sell inventory enhancements? I've got the
rucksack from Ysa

Risible

Anyone else notice on one of the loading screens it says that Greatsword is slowest but most damaging melee weapon? I usually don't nitpick but every time I see it, I always tell myself "
nope
".

Yes, annoys the shit out of me too.
Yay hammers!

Nista

It
breathed fire on me. Was strange. Didn't drop anything special for me :(

Hope it's not broken... That dungeon is one of my few motivations for doing the main quest line instead of goofing off. :) I'm still having trouble finding any decent parts to smith better chakrams.

The more difficult decision - spend my day off today snuggled up in from of the TV with the game, or go explore the city.

I love how this game rewards players for playing better too, giving extra fate points for combos and a flashy combat style. I didn't realize how big a difference it was until watching someone who basically approached it as "just mash square".

I've sorta fallen in love with my combo of: chakram 3x melee attack, cancel into staff blocking attack (vortex), followed by a lightning bolt to stun, then blinking in and doing a chakram dodge/juggle attack, which combos nicely back into the staff vortex again, and repeat. Fills up that fate meter lickity split, especially thanks to maxing out the blocking and dodge attacks for an extra bump in fate points. If I feel like mixing it up or if the enemies are weak and close to death, I might throw in the Mark of Flame to finish it off in place of lightning stun.

I'm not saying the combat is as good as Batman: AA/AC, but I do get that similar buzz after systematically dismantling a large crowd of enemies with a whole array of moves that flow seamlessly into each other.

Top Bottom