• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

So I recently ran into a piece of gear that had a +2 to all might abilities and was wondering if there was a component anywhere in the game that gave that attribute to crafted gear. Has anybody had any luck getting one I know know some attributes are rarer then others to salvage.

Here's what I'm talking about
VZNBV.jpg

EDarkness

In the last two days I've put in over 20 hours and died a bunch of times in various places. One thing I really don't like about the combat is how mobs can follow you when you roll or dodge in mid air. They started their dash move, I dodged and still get hit. It's frustrating and one of the things that irritates me most because it leads to some cheap hits.

Still, I can't stop playing. Damn game is awesome and just makes me want an actual single player open world online game. I would love to put something like that together, to be honest. This game scratches an itch I didn't even know I had. Heh, heh.

In the last two days I've put in over 20 hours and died a bunch of times in various places. One thing I really don't like about the combat is how mobs can follow you when you roll or dodge in mid air. They started their dash move, I dodged and still get hit. It's frustrating and one of the things that irritates me most because it leads to some cheap hits.
Threshers are the ones I can't really seem to dodge properly against. The rest aren't so bad once you see their tells and get the timing down. The problem is when there's a bunch of enemies on the screen at once...crowd control can be a bit of a hassle.

Midou

Yeah, enemies turning automatically to attack you when you dodge past them and they were clearly already attacking in another direction is pretty annoying.

scy

So is there any reason to not just start a new profile for new characters? Want to keep my saves organized so I wager this is my best bet.

Wallach

Yeah, enemies turning automatically to attack you when you dodge past them and they were clearly already attacking in another direction is pretty annoying.

I don't mind it really, if they didn't do any kind of tracking it would be far too easy to dodge in this game. If you get hit during a dodge due to tracking you timed the dodge too early.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Didn't really get into the demo, but I'm pleasantly surprised with the full version. Having a blast so far with the combat and lore features (dialog, books, etc). Just wish they had put in some form of in-game lore guide to keep track of all these factions and legends.

Chris_C

Do you have to actually finish the Amalur demo to get the Mass Effect armor? I played the demo, got to Gorhart, but didn't complete any quests or finish the demo. Can't seem to find the armor anywhere (it's not in the special delivery chest, and yeah, I played it logged in to EA servers) :(

Ken

Do you have to actually finish the Amalur demo to get the Mass Effect armor? I played the demo, got to Gorhart, but didn't complete any quests or finish the demo. Can't seem to find the armor anywhere (it's not in the special delivery chest, and yeah, I played it logged in to EA servers) :(

I got out of the Well of Souls house thing and into the open world and stopped playing there. That got me the ME3 armor in the chest.

It unlocks after the 45 minute timer expires. If you didnt see the message that it unlocked, you didnt get it.

*edit* my bad, the armor unlocks for buying the game new.

Chris_C

I got out of the Well of Souls house thing and into the open world and stopped playing there. That got me the ME3 armor in the chest.

It unlocks after the 45 minute timer expires. If you didnt see the message that it unlocked, you didnt get it.

Bummer. Not redownloading. Looks like steel armor, and I prefer my stuff leather :)

Thanks!

EDIT: Odd... I have a new copy of the game.

Jrmint

Just finished the House of Ballads quest line.

Good lord that was awesome, could of honestly been a good main quest in most games, off to complete the Warsworn now, hope it is good as well.

I kind of cheesed the final fight for the House of Ballads:

Saved my reckoning for the final encounter and was able to finish her in that time frame. Honestly I can see it being really hard otherwise since there was a good amount of other mobs in there with her.

I went in as a Warden (Tier 2 Finesse/Might) at level 13, not sure if that was low for the fight or not.

Good lord that was awesome, could of honestly been a good main quest in most games, off to complete the Warsworn now, hope it is good as well.

Saved my reckoning for the final encounter and was able to finish her in that time frame. Honestly I can see it being really hard otherwise since there was a good amount of other mobs in there with her.

I went in as a Warden (Tier 2 Finesse/Might) at level 13, not sure if that was low for the fight or not.

There is no low-high for that fight other than not having a lot of abilities. The game scales the enemies to your level. It's my understanding that you could put off all the faction quests until after you beat the game and they'll be just as hard (again, except for you having more abilities later since you'd be a higher level).

EDarkness

I was 11 when I finished it. The quest pushed me to 12 upon completion.

So I recently ran into a piece of gear that had a +2 to all might abilities and was wondering if there was a component anywhere in the game that gave that attribute to crafted gear. Has anybody had any luck getting one I know know some attributes are rarer then others to salvage.

Here's what I'm talking about
VZNBV.jpg

You can make +1 epic gems that give it. I haven't found any +2 gems yet. Also found a way to make +1 to all level 4 and below abilities for all trees. The epic gems are pretty crazy.

gehrig38

Names escaping me right now, the mobs with the weird eerie clown looking face that splits open? They have a stinger too, if you can, check them out up close when she 'opens' her mask, that's TOTALLY creepy ass McFarlane:)

Ran into my first one tonight, wasn't expecting her either....

Oh and I f'ing hate spiders...

One more thing, I lied. I ended up playing Xbox 360 AND PC builds, playing both. Finessing on the Xbox, straight Sorcery on the PC.

ReaperXL7

Ok so I just realised a couple of things about loot, I was kind of ignoring the ripples in the water because for the longest time I was not getting much of anything from them. However I just completed two armor sets and obtained one of the best bows i've found so far because of the ripples ,so if your trying to hunt down pieces don't pass those up. Also apprently you can far set pieces off mobs, just got another set piece from a ettin war chieften. This game will probably consume my much of my free time for a good while. Especially since DLC will be around the corner soon.

Game is awesome. Thanks for the recommendation guys. Im just paranoid from the all quests in the game! How do I balance the main quest and the side quests?

Game is awesome. Thanks for the recommendation guys. Im just paranoid from the all quests in the game! How do I balance the main quest and the side quests?

Basically by overleveling all you're doing is f***ing up the mobs in the outside. When you do main story quests that take place in dungeons you'll be fine. I made it to the 2nd main zone today at about level 20 and I'm running into some pretty damn hard fights outside on Hard difficulty.

Wallach

Names escaping me right now, the mobs with the weird eerie clown looking face that splits open? They have a stinger too, if you can, check them out up close when she 'opens' her mask, that's TOTALLY creepy ass McFarlane:)

One more thing, I lied. I ended up playing Xbox 360 AND PC builds, playing both. Finessing on the Xbox, straight Sorcery on the PC.

Those things are called Crudoks. Pretty gross.

bedlamite

No shame in using Reckoning for the Maid fight. I can't imagine having to deal with her and about 10 other projectile-hurling fucksticks in an enclosed area

I'm playing full sorcery, and I feel like respec-ing as I put in a shitload of points into Blacksmithing and I've not really done anything noteworthy with that skill yet. I've been lucky with loot drops and the gear I create never seems to compare well against what I already have. Might be looking to move all those points into Sagecraft.

fuuian

Neo Member
. . .

So I think I found one of the post-game only dungeons (at least, last I saw it I couldn't enter it) and uh ...
wtf Chicken Overlord?!

Any hints as to where I can find this Chicken Overlord dungeon? I see a cave entrance when I go back to the Court of Winter, but it's blocked off by crystals.

bounchfx

I just hit level 10, still not that far in, on the second main quest and the second Warsworn quest, and hard is pretty freaking difficult. I was pure sorcery and didn't really use potions, and there are a lot of tough battles.. i'm not really understanding the whole 'too easy' thing, unless it's because I'm not spamming potions. Or maybe Sorcery is just more challenging? Either way, really enjoying it so far but I'm looking to get out of Dalentarth and hear some new tunes.

scy

Any hints as to where I can find this Chicken Overlord dungeon? I see a cave entrance when I go back to the Court of Winter, but it's blocked off by crystals.

I was a bit misleading. The dungeon is in
High Fugon, if I recall? There's just two Chicken Overlords behind a Detect Hidden wall
. I managed to get Origin to uninstall the game so I can't check the name of the dungeon right now for you :|

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Posting a pic of my character. I don't have any awesome armor :( Named him Corsair.

took a photo from my iphone

I love that i can change my character's hair and facial hair. Now I can age him throughout the game.

TmBuOl.jpg

gCmiMl.jpg

smr00

Banned
I feel stupid for asking this because i asked before i think but where do you respec? i can't remember if it's in the first town? a location would be awesome i want to respec and try a combat type mage, like a rogue/mage or something.

I am hearing about this "warlock" build that is amazing, any tips on a warlock build?

Dresden

I feel stupid for asking this because i asked before i think but where do you respec? i can't remember if it's in the first town? a location would be awesome i want to respec and try a combat type mage, like a rogue/mage or something.

I am hearing about this "warlock" build that is amazing, any tips on a warlock build?

just look for Fateweavers, you'll see an icon on the map.

And the 'warlock' build is finesse/sorcery tier 3, IIRC. I'm running it right now - my favorite build so far.

What my build looks like right now:

Chakrams, daggers, with the Faer Gorta, Traps, and the stunbolt for crowd control.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

The first fateweaver I found was at the House of Ballads, in the northern region of Odarath.

fuuian

Neo Member
I was a bit misleading. The dungeon is in
High Fugon, if I recall? There's just two Chicken Overlords behind a Detect Hidden wall
. I managed to get Origin to uninstall the game so I can't check the name of the dungeon right now for you :|

Thanks. And yeah, when I saw that I was thinking
cow level from Diablo and chicken level from DS1, hehe.

Dresden

This a good build? Also what should you use as main/secondary? faeblade/chak?

Also leather type armor?

Nah, chakrams do the same thing as faeblades, but better. Daggers for stealth kills and single targets.

As for armor, just use a mix of stuff. I typically go leather boots/glove/hood, and then use a robe.

The first fateweaver I found was at the House of Ballads, in the northern region of Odarath.

No, the first fateweaver you found was Agarth. =)
He'll gladly let you change your fate for a fee.

And for anyone interested, Curt(and Reckoning) will be on Fallon Monday night.

smr00

Banned
@Dres

Last stupid question i promise lol.

What should i dump into the skill thing? stealth? sage? alch? i am thinking Stealth/sage?

scy

http://amalurfoundry.com/calculator...400553405534000000&30061665500503055030530000

This a good build? Also what should you use as main/secondary? faeblade/chak?

Also leather type armor?

Personally speaking, there are two flavors to the build. Sticking with Spellcloak and a 79/44 build that gets Paralytic Poisons and Execution and focuses on melee primarily or going all the way to Shadowcaster for Elemental Rage and Tempest support for your melee.

I tried both out during my first playthrough and they were both quite fun. If I had to choose just one, Spellcloak was less exciting due to no real spell support but probably more efficient at killing things; Shadowcaster gave some extra options that were fun to have around but cast time vs damage dealt wasn't that great.

...not that that kind of min/maxing is actually necessary.

79 Finesse/44 Faeblade/Chakram - Daggers (or Faeblade) are throwaway points for reaching the top skills but it's not like they're really needed anywhere else.

60 Finesse/63 Sorcery Faeblade/Chakram - I play with a 360 Controller so Mark of Flame and Ice Barrage were basically just there for their upgrades that work on Elemental Rage. Faeblade can be swapped to Dagger if you want.

Edit: As for Dagger vs Faeblade, Faeblade are the better weapon for going from target to target and the wider swing arc is nice to have. They're also higher damage per swing and there's more passive bonuses to Faeblades. Daggers get better stealth kills and swing more often so they'll trigger Paralytic Poisons or Execution more often so that's a nice perk. Both work well with Chakrams.

@Dres

Last stupid question i promise lol.

What should i dump into the skill thing? stealth? sage? alch? i am thinking Stealth/sage?

You can effectively max all of the skills in the game except one so ... get everything?

Hawk269

lmao...I am doing the same. My Finese is on PC though and Sorcery is on 360.

smr00

Banned
Personally speaking, there are two flavors to the build. Sticking with Spellcloak and a 79/44 build that gets Paralytic Poisons and Execution and focuses on melee primarily or going all the way to Shadowcaster for Elemental Rage and Tempest support for your melee.

I tried both out during my first playthrough and they were both quite fun. If I had to choose just one, Spellcloak was less exciting due to no real spell support but probably more efficient at killing things; Shadowcaster gave some extra options that were fun to have around but cast time vs damage dealt wasn't that great.

...not that that kind of min/maxing is actually necessary.

79 Finesse/44 Faeblade/Chakram - Daggers (or Faeblade) are throwaway points for reaching the top skills but it's not like they're really needed anywhere else.

60 Finesse/63 Sorcery Faeblade/Chakram - I play with a 360 Controller so Mark of Flame and Ice Barrage were basically just there for their upgrades that work on Elemental Rage. Faeblade can be swapped to Dagger if you want.

Edit: As for Dagger vs Faeblade, Faeblade are the better weapon for going from target to target and the wider swing arc is nice to have. They're also higher damage per swing and there's more passive bonuses to Faeblades. Daggers get better stealth kills and swing more often so they'll trigger Paralytic Poisons or Execution more often so that's a nice perk. Both work well with Chakrams.

You can effectively max all of the skills in the game except one so ... get everything?
Thank you very much, and to everyone else helping.

I am going to try out the build without the points in the daggers, might modify it a tad but that's the gist of what i am looking for, especially faeblade/chak.

Just out of interest, am I progressing faster or slower than most folks? How close am I to the "end"?

Level 20, about 26 hours into the game, about to
take the boat to the other side of the map after dealing with that Gnome templar

Hey, I just think you'd like to know that it took all of three days for Kingdoms of Amalur to become a household name in the Marshall family. My dad is 72 and a native of Peabody, Mass. He has a small shrine to the Red Sox. By virtue of his military career we ultimately settled in Maryland. It just so happens that a few years ago an old friend of his from Peabody became the president of a local community college here just down the street. Of course, now, they talk on the phone every day like high school teenagers, mostly about the Red Sox.

Well, one of them read a review in the New York Times (from a Yankees fan no less) singing the praises of Kingdoms today. My father immediately began asking me questions. He even wrote down the name of the game on a piece of paper and asked me if I had heard of it.

Of course, I said.

This is a dumb post, but I just thought that you might like to know that there are two men here in Maryland in their 70s who are talking about Kingdoms.

smr00

Banned
Damn once i switched to this warlock people hit me like trains, hopefully i get some good armor or spells that make this class work.

Top Bottom