• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

scy

What are the locations which sell inventory enhancements? I've got the
rucksack from Ysa

Should be:
Gorhart, Ysa, Adessa, Mel Senshir
. Someone mentioned finding one in the wild but I've yet to see that one.

Hmm, I just unlocked Tempest. Seems really hard to use in most fights. The charge-up time is sooooooo long that I tend to get interrupted before it goes off. I heard that's not an issue with Meteor though since you can't get interrupted during casting or something.

I found Tempest to be nice when casting after finishing Elemental Rage. For the most part, though, I didn't find Tempest all that great though. In my +Crit Damage and +Elemental Damage setup it was only critting for around 3-4k and I can deal out that damage in melee faster.

Also tempest tends to staggers enemies, so even if doesn't kill everything instantly you can cast it again immediately.

Tempest / Storm Bolt has a rather long cooldown so ... not sure how you cast it again immediately. Personally, it was a long enough cooldown that my build (Finesse/Sorcery) could usually just end fights before it was up again.

Was nice for clearing trash after gathering them up with Elemental Rage though, I suppose.

Hope it's not broken... That dungeon is one of my few motivations for doing the main quest line instead of goofing off. :) I'm still having trouble finding any decent parts to smith better chakrams.

Broken? They're
just two regular enemies behind a hidden wall

Random thoughts in bullet-point form (everyone loves reading lists):

* Lvl 22 and have tried several builds. I take back what I said about respeccing before the game came out, I'm so happy it's in there. The game is way too huge to have to play over again just to try new builds.

* I'm basically a god in terms of power and items. Just killed the Maiden in under 7 secs with just Tempest and some Chakram attacks. I have died probably 10+ times overall so it's not always been easy but I've recently abused blacksmithing and created some ridiculous gear. I was also half naked during the Maiden fight, I like seeing my chars boobs and ass lol it's the best female anatomical model ever, it actually looks real and not totally cartoonish and videogamey

* After completing most of Dalentarth I was wandering around and ended up in Detyre and did a lot of quests for that. I loved this because you're supposed to do the Plains after Dalentarth but the game offers you the freedom to wander around and pick your own path. I wonder if I can get to any of the other regions. In the main quest I'm at uhh "Meet Agarth at Didenhill" which I think is still really early, only done a few. I wonder if I can travel to the other areas of the map or is it blocked off?

* The art style and environments seem to improve as the game goes on

* I love all the executions in Reckoning mode. They made so many of them and they look so badass. I remember when I was like 20 hours in and still saw a new one. Right now I'm like 40 hours probably so I guess I've seen them all. But really they look so cool, just wish the button-mashing QTE wasn't in there, terrible mechanic.

ced

Damnit my House of Sorrows faction quest bugged out. Says to talk to the elder, she just sits there with a gold arrow over her head and won't respond. I went the place that's next, sinclaire I think and there is a stone door that's shut, so I can't proceed.

Gattsu25

Banned
Damnit my House of Sorrows faction quest bugged out. Says to talk to the elder, she just sits there with a gold arrow over her head and won't respond. I went the place that's next, sinclaire I think and there is a stone door that's shut, so I can't proceed.
Quitting and loading your save doesn't work?

Derrick01

Banned
So I've been reading the thread off and on and it seems like this is yet another wrpg with horrible balance issues and it strikes relatively early.

That's a shame because I usually get extremely bored when I become unstoppable in wrpgs. Guess I'll have to avoid blacksmithing and other parts of the game just to let the game stay competitive.

Gattsu25

Banned
So I've been reading the thread off and on and it seems like this is yet another wrpg with horrible balance issues and it strikes relatively early.

That's a shame because I usually get extremely bored when I become unstoppable in wrpgs. Guess I'll have to avoid blacksmithing and other parts of the game just to let the game stay competitive.
Or you can do what I do and suck horribly at the game whenever I am facing more than 2 enemies at a time

I've abused blacksmithing and sagecrafting (gems you socket/craft into your gear) and have still died probably like 10-20+ times, not sure. It wasn't until recently that I've become a god (about 40 hours in). I've only done a few main quests but have done like 55 side quests or something so that's been a reason. In the beginning the game is really easy but then it gets harder.

Risible

If you avoid Blacksmithing and Sagecrafting you should be fine. The biggest problem, IMO, is health regen.

If you are the type to min/max the game can get too easy too quickly. I'm a fighter/mage, so I have good physical and magical damage mitigation. Combined with the stuff I crafted or added gems to, it's very hard to damage me. Single targets don't stand a chance in hell. Multiple targets might actually take 10-20% off my health bar if they're lucky and I'm playing sloppy.

I also learned the block/parry system early on. So by combining block/parry, dodge, and mixing slow/fast attacks (hammer/chakrams/magic) I can stun lock most enemies.

That being said, I love the game. I love the feeling of being too powerful in a videogame. There are times when I rip through a huge group of enemies and execute everything perfectly and wish that I could replay the fight just to watch myself :).

Apeboy

I don't think I've used a shield since the tutorial due to the way I play.

I have one equipped and it's condition degrades so I guess their is some benefit for defense in just equipping it?

I'm playing on hard and only died once so far, but I do feel like it is reasonably challenging in places. Dudes can hit hard enough that seeing a big boss or a huge bunch of enemies can invoke a legit 'oh shit' from me. I've had to spam health potions before, and I actually ran out of health potions once. So far challenge feels right to me...hope it doesn't get too easy later on. I'm not an obsessive min/maxer, so...we'll see.

scy

There's also one at
the Scholar Arcania in Rathir

There's also one in
Rathir, in the Scholia Arcana

I totally thought the post I was quoting said that one and not Ysa.

So respeccing looks like it will cost me around 2,800, anyone know what it goes up to after I use it?

(Level * 256) * (Number of Respecs) is the formula for it; your first respec uses a value of 1, not 0, for the number of respecs.

You don't have to avoid Blacksmithing itself, just don't try making full Damage Resistance or HP Regen equipment. And don't down potions every time an enemy so much as looks at you.

One thing I found was that you can go do a respec, then talk to low level trainers to get skill points before fixing your build. Got a few extra points in stealth and detect hidden that way :)

Riposte

Playing through the tutorial level was like pumping a sedative into me. They really need to make those optional. The game is also particularly ugly too (looks like WoW). So I would assume the larger game is more interesting, at least the main/faction quests are, but reading about a lack of difficulty and broken builds makes me want to not bother.

scy

Where can I find the low level trainers? Stupid guide is not out yet

Fixed up my old list from before:

Alchemy:
0-3: Ysa
0-3: Emaire
4-6: Rathir
7-9: Seawatch Castle after the first renovation quest there.

Blacksmithing:
0-3: Shieldring Keep
4-6: Ironfast Keep after the Master's Touch quest.
7-9: Mel Senshir

Detect Hidden:
0-3: Gorhart
4-6: Sun Camp

Dispelling:
0-3: Adessa
7-9: Outside the House of Sorrows

Lockpicking:
0-3: Lorca-Rane (not in a city, should be on the south-eastern part of the map).
0-3: Tirin's Rest / Part of the Warsworn, oddly enough, questline; you need to resolve the quest involving him before he's usable.
4-6: Adessa
7-9: Caeled Coast, not in a city.

Mercantile:
0-3: Star Camp
0-3: Alserund, not in a city.
4-6: Moon Camp

Persuasion:
0-3: House of Ballads
0-3: Rathir

Sagecrafting:
0-3: Ysa, twice if I recall, though you can just use one of them, not both.
7-9: The Keening

Stealth:
0-3: Star Camp
0-3: Moon Camp
7-9: Dark Glow Caverns (Shadow Pass dungeon)

Multiple trainers of the same level range can be used if they're in entirely different regions. For example,
Persuasion has one in the House of Ballads and Rathir for 0-3; both can be used but the two Ysa Sagecrafting trainers cannot

Edit: Or dang, IGN's guide for it works too :| Figures!

erragal

I definitely used both Sagecraft trainers in
Ysa
. I didn't notice the second one at first so I had to reset my points again but I've gotten both points. Not sure why you had trouble with them? The one guy is a little weird because he moves when you complete the quest he's involved in; maybe that bugged him out for you?

scy

I definitely used both Sagecraft trainers in
Ysa
. I didn't notice the second one at first so I had to reset my points again but I've gotten both points. Not sure why you had trouble with them? The one guy is a little weird because he moves when you complete the quest he's involved in; maybe that bugged him out for you?

Hrm ... could've sworn I did exactly that for it. I respeced to do the complete circuits for them all, one respec per region.

Edit: Well, I'll double check on this character when I get to
Ysa
, I suppose. It would make sense that both can be used, now that I think about it, since that would give them all four trainers. So ... maybe I broke something or did something else stupid (like, forget to note that I used them both!).

Just got this one too, going with a Finesse character.

Is Sneak useful in the game?

Recommendations on which abilities to skill up first?

Hoping to go with Faeblades as Primary and Bow/Chakram as secondary.

game and gamestation on first week only stock pre order copies. That's what my local gamestation manager told me atleast

Hmmm, that must be store specific? Mine had loads of PS3 stock. They also had loads of Darkness 2 and several copies of Catherine, both of which came out this week too I believe.

I have ordered it now though :D Should be here Tuesday/Wednesday, can't wait!

Jrmint

All I've played for about 12.5 hours is Finesse/Might, if I wanted to start some sort of Sorcery subspec what are the best abilities to get?

Depends, I'm sure some will disagree with me, but I personally just didn't find enough opportunities to use sneak to make it worthwhile.

cartoon_soldier said:
Recommendations on which abilities to skill up first?

Shadow Flare & Envenomed Edge are both REALLY useful, especially at their higher levels. I wouldn't bother with Lunge though, it seemed to cost too much MP for very little effect.

scy

Depends, I'm sure some will disagree with me, but I personally just didn't find enough opportunities to use sneak to make it worthwhile.

I find it harder to not find a fight where you can at least take one guy down. But I didn't find it that useful in the long run, though.

I wouldn't bother with Lunge though, it seemed to cost too much MP for very little effect.

I must be the only one who really liked Lunge :( Resets combos and cancels any attack into an evasion. The damage isn't bad either if you have a high enough crit rate (and crit damage).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

I just maxed out my sneak and I honestly think it is bugged or something. With it maxed I see absolutely 0 difference in the range people can see me or how long I have before the little meter fills up. So it's either useless or broken. Gonna respec out of it.

I also learned the block/parry system early on. So by combining block/parry, dodge, and mixing slow/fast attacks (hammer/chakrams/magic) I can stun lock most enemies.

That being said, I love the game. I love the feeling of being too powerful in a videogame. There are times when I rip through a huge group of enemies and execute everything perfectly and wish that I could replay the fight just to watch myself :).
I feel the same exact way. Using all the tools they give you in this game to cut a swath through your enemies is so damn satisfying. I'm sure you can still beat the game just mashing x to victory (even on hard, probably), but it sure as hell wouldn't be as fun.

It slows the game down more than I'd like, so I don't even bother trying most of the time. I have noticed a fair share of opportunities where stealthing around could be done, but the time it takes to assassinate one guy, you could probably have cleared out the entire room already just going all out.

1stStrike

Banned
So, yeah, I'm now highly addicted to this game. I was using daggers/shakram, but I've decided to switch to faeblade's instead as daggers are kind of meh to me. I like the extended reach I get with the faeblades, and how I can wind up to charge into an enemy.

I have the short distance blink now that lets me teleport instead of rolling, and I have to say, it's quite awesome. Blink backwards, throw mark of flame at everything as it chases me, explode them, and then charge up chakram to finish them off.

The only thing I'll say about chakram is that it's getting a bit boring at this point, since there's not a lot of diversity with it. I need to get some more moves unlocked.

MC Safety

I'm having trouble with a specific quest: Gathering Flames. It's the mission where you have to bring an alchemist tindertwig, scarwood bark, and blazing potions to aid against the threat of boggarts.

Now I've delivered multiple reagents to the guy, as well as blazing potions. But I can't for the life of me complete this quest. Is there something I missed, or is this just one of those neverending cash for junk deals?

Oh, and is it possible the quest is just broken?

Please advise. And thanks.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
any weather effects in this game? i'm a sucker for that stuff. Yes i'm looking at you RDR.

any weather effects in this game? i'm a sucker for that stuff. Yes i'm looking at you RDR.
I've played about 30 hours and haven't seen the weather change yet. But then again, I only covered a little more than half the world map...

That would be really cool if it happened though. I'm a sucker for that as well.

koji

Hey guys, just starting the game, does it matter a lot what starting race I pick? Besides the natural bonusses?

I'm having trouble with a specific quest: Gathering Flames. It's the mission where you have to bring an alchemist tindertwig, scarwood bark, and blazing potions to aid against the threat of boggarts.

Now I've delivered multiple reagents to the guy, as well as blazing potions. But I can't for the life of me complete this quest. Is there something I missed, or is this just one of those neverending cash for junk deals?

Oh, and is it possible the quest is just broken?

Please advise. And thanks.

That's not a completable quest. He'll keep paying you for the materials or the potions. There's several of these repeatable quests in the game. Anything listed under Tasks is repeatable.

Top Bottom