• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

1stStrike

Banned
Oh, and I got the widescreen fixer working. It's a bit quirky, but I actually ended up doing this by accident. What you do is install it per normal, then enable it in-game. Your FOV will get all fucked up and fish-eyed. Then, just quit out to the main menu and then continue your game where you left off and it'll be working as it should.

fov2x6lho.png

This is with the steam version.

Hey guys, just starting the game, does it matter a lot what starting race I pick? Besides the natural bonusses?
I picked Dokkalfar and I haven't noticed any dramatic impact on the story. Maybe once or twice they mentioned that I'm an elf in conversation, but that was limited to situations that it was relevant (example: some guy I was doing a mission for made a slight against the Doks, then tacked on "...present company excluded, of course"). That's about the extent of it from what I've seen.

koji

I picked Dokkalfar and I haven't noticed any dramatic impact on the story. Maybe once or twice they mentioned that I'm an elf in conversation, but that was limited to situations that it was relevant (example: some guy I was doing a mission for made a slight against the Doks, then tacked on "...present company excluded, of course"). That's about the extent of it from what I've seen.

Ok, thanks! :)

That depends how you're building your finesse tree and how much you're willing to devote points into sorcery as a subspec. Do you just want supporting passives or do you want actives as well? Conservative casting comes in handy if you spam the latter. If you're getting hit a lot, the sphere of protection can boost your defenses. The elemental passives are handy if you have any fire/lightning/ice weapons.

As for actives, lightning bolt is great to stun enemies with. Mark of flame does a ton of damage. I think the ice barrage is pretty lame though, but I haven't really used it much. Since you're using it as a subspec, you'll probably won't make it far enough to get the higher level spells.

Do you plan on using any mage weapons? The charge attack for chakrams and staves are great if you find yourself surrounded by enemies. I love the block attacks too for the staff, and it's really easy to integrate into combos.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That's not a completable quest. He'll keep paying you for the materials or the potions. There's several of these repeatable quests in the game. Anything listed under Tasks is repeatable.

Yeah. Tasks are the bane of my OCD-ridden existence.

Does anyone know what to do for that catch a thief quest, where you supposedly have to camp out at night to catch the guy robbing the church collection box? I hid on the balcony inside the church at night and kept a watch on the box...nobody came by.

Jhoan

I played a good ton of yesterday it after getting it on Thursday. The combat is slowly opening up with the abilities that I unlock and I'm only level 7 playing on Hard. I've died several times so it's definitely challenging. Not to mention that I keep running out of potions in the heat of battle.

That said, there's a ridiculous amount of stuff to do. I've pretty much ignored doing the second story mission (near Gohart). I'm amazed by how easy is it is to get distracted by exploring. I definitely love exploring in games, so that's good. The only thing that limits that is the item limit; the item bag expansion is expensive so I have to junk or sell weapons every so often. Oh, and I definitely need to install the game because the load times are annoyingly long.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying it. I think I'm playing as the second elf class with Stealth, and persuasion abilities. Shepard's Armor helps make things easier as well as the free fire chakrams. I love using the hammer, the Fae Blades, and the Chakrams. I still haven't gotten into village mischief other than stealing things every now and then for quests, but I haven't gotten arrested.

zlatko

Banned
Tried the demo last night, and wasn't that impressed honestly. First had an issue with all screen being black even though I was able to play, but then I remembered someone on here said if you have an ATI card you have to disable post processing which fixed it.

I liked the character customization options, but found the demo to be super generic I guess is the best way to explain it. It gave me Dragon Age 2 demo vibes which is a no no. :p

The game didn't feel awful by any means, it seems like a solid product, but it didn't do much to wow me in anyway. Seeing everyone's hour posting on how long they have played I feel I need to wait till the game is $30.00 and under.

How is the PC version overall? Would I need to wait for a patch as well if I'm already skeptical? I was getting freeze ups when destroying boxes or start battles and getting impact with my weapons. For reference I can run Witcher 2 and BF3 on max without any issues...so I don't know wtf is going on here.

Does anyone know what to do for that catch a thief quest, where you supposedly have to camp out at night to catch the guy robbing the church collection box? I hid on the balcony inside the church at night and kept a watch on the box...nobody came by.

Yeah I did the same thing, no one showed up. Bugging me because it's my last quest.

Jrmint

Thanks for the sorcery tips. I think I'll pick up Mark of Flame, Chakram Mastery and the spheres.

I just don't find myself using Might actives very much, and the slow weapons just get on my nerves.

eXistor

Liking the game so far, but I'm afraid repetitiveness is already setting in as it did with Skyrim. The problem with these kind of games is their scope I think. They present huge worlds with lots of meaningless quests and it gives the player no feeling of accomplishment whatsoever. You're just going through the motions, moving from checkpoint to checkpoint. It also doesn't help that both Skyrim and this are easy as hell even on the highest difficulty. I wish they would focus on creating smaller, more memorable worlds and quests/ dungeons for once. I think I'll have to wait for Risen 2 for that though.

Dresden

Switched to a bow-toting Finesse character and . . . this is really easy. Not as easy as a sorc, but it's sorta up there. Wonder what it'll be like once I get Gambit and Executioner.

Out of curiosity to those playing the finesse line, how does the bow hold up? I was thinking about focusing on that if I ever respec'd out of my sorcery build (which probably won't happen until I finish a first playthrough since I'm loving it too damn much).

In theory, arrow storm looks beastly to me...being able to hit multiple times in quick succession from a range and applying all those delicious debuffs from poison and bleed. Is it practical actually using it in battle though? The bows themselves seem pretty weak in general too.

I've been playing this for quite a while and I wasn't really feeling it but I think I finally hit my stride and I'm finally liking it quite a bit. Still, the thing I'm having the hardest to get into is the story and character interaction. Maybe it's because I'm spending too much time with side missions because I just completed a faction mission that was 100 times more compelling than any of the side missions I've been focusing on.

Dresden

In theory, arrow storm looks beastly to me...being able to hit multiple times in quick succession from a range and applying all those delicious debuffs from poison and bleed. Is it practical actually using it in battle though? The bows themselves seem pretty weak in general too.

Arrow storm hasn't been too impressive, I open with it because it looks cool but that's about it.

It's all about charged shots, with the multi-shot talent maxed out. The quiver size limit is no longer a factor when you can carefully apply fully charged barrages of poisoned arrows to a group of enemies. Also, point-blank, it's like a goddamn shotgun.

Haven't needed to use my faeblades at all. I do use Shadowflare against things that need to die fast, but that's about it.

scy

Switched to a bow-toting Finesse character and . . . this is really easy. Not as easy as a sorc, but it's sorta up there. Wonder what it'll be like once I get Gambit and Executioner.

Execution doesn't look great on paper but goddamn is it amazing. Free 1000+ damage crits? That'll do nicely, thank you game.

Poker360

My main complaint about this game is that it sucks to play it and be a completionist.

My "ADD" inside of me requires me to do the side quests before i continue with the main quest... So say i'll have 10 side quests at one time, i'll start to do them.. I'll go in a new area doing this side quest and find 5 more quests to do, then complete it.. Then the cycle continues.

The loot / customization combined with the combat is what makes this game so damn good.

It's all about charged shots, with the multi-shot talent maxed out. The quiver size limit is no longer a factor when you can carefully apply fully charged barrages of poisoned arrows to a group of enemies. Also, point-blank, it's like a goddamn shotgun.
Hah, that's pretty badass.

What about arrow storm makes it underwhelming though?

lsslave

Jew Gamer

Oh, that is uh... that's me. And I didn't come back because there is like no money in it to be worth the trip

lsslave

Jew Gamer
My main complaint about this game is that it sucks to play it and be a completionist.

My "ADD" inside of me requires me to do the side quests before i continue with the main quest... So say i'll have 10 side quests at one time, i'll start to do them.. I'll go in a new area doing this side quest and find 5 more quests to do, then complete it.. Then the cycle continues.

The loot / customization combined with the combat is what makes this game so damn good.

The quests seem pretty alignment based, for example I turned down a quest that seemed out of character for the character I'm running.

Self imposed alignment is more fun than forced only 2 ways to go that other companies run with

Woo-Fu

Banned

I stayed on the stairs in stealth, watching the box, he shows up at midnight on the dot.

It works really, really well against the larger mobs. You can 1-hit most of the giant-types if you get a couple of the arrows in the spread to crit. Match that with a ~205 base damage bow and pretty much everything dies quickly except for Prismere Trolls. I've got +stun duration on a couple pieces of armor so even those are no problem since although they don't die quick they just sit there hunched over in stun.

The problem with arrow storm is that the enemy won't stay bunched unless you've got a really nasty friendly maintaining aggro. I used it to open now and then, or to spam on things that couldn't reach me due to environmental obstacles. One *thing* it does do is hit casters who have the shield up that absorbs any other type of damage. Since they come in from the top they don't get blocked. I thought that was a really cool mechanic that most games would've missed.

ParityBit

So stealth is not that great and lunge is not worth it? I was going to respec to get a point back from might. I m wondering if I should go might/sorc instead of finesse/sorc?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So stealth is not that great and lunge is not worth it? I was going to respec to get a point back from might. I m wondering if I should go might/sorc instead of finesse/sorc?

Works fine on trolls/jottun or whatever, but that's about it. Same thing with lunge.

Might/Sorc, of what I played, was super easy with that little protection shield thing

Woo-Fu

Banned

I used stealth quite a bit but all it really did was slow the game down. I'd put the points elsewhere if I were you.

The only active skill I use is smoke bomb for finesse. I can usually kill 2 people with backstabs. Then I just go to town with my daggers on the rest of the group of people.

I went Might-Sorcery because of the way the game goes out of its way to f*** over stealth users. And by that I'm referring to all the encounters that begin with enemies magically popping out of nowhere once you pass a specific spot on the ground.

scy

I went Might-Sorcery because of the way the game goes out of its way to f*** over stealth users. And by that I'm referring to all the encounters that begin with enemies magically popping out of nowhere once you pass a specific spot on the ground.

For what it's worth, you can still pop Stealth on those for the from-Stealth bonuses. You may not get the Assassination but the rest of it will still apply.

erragal

One thing I do like about the quests in this game is that a large number of people that ask you to do things are doing it for very selfish reasons.

Oh, seriously FUCK enemy sorcerers in this game - I'm fighting those Belen's Testament guys and regularly coming up against groups of 2 sorcerers, 2 spearmen and 1 swordsman. You have to take out the sorcerers as quickly as possible, because while one shoots 3 fireballs in quick succession, the other shoots 3 mini-typhoons in quick succession - the end result being that I'm getting knocked out of all my damn combos near constantly because there's fucking fire and wind spells flying all over the place. To make matters worse, dodging will only get you past one of the fireballs, even with the blink teleport double dodge, while the sorcerers can jump WAY out of range at will.

Sure, I haven't come close to dying, but every single encounter against these guys has gone on way longer than it should have and has been an exercise in pure frustration. But hey, I'm sure there was a good reason to allow enemy sorcerers to spam their magic with no cooldown or regard for how much MP they should have, I just cant imagine what that reason is.

Klyka

Banned
I like how I can go into a zone and help the inhabitants of a village and then I head into Adessa and talk about the village to people and they say "yeah man you helped them that'S cool I hope their lives get better now!"

Or the Fae going "You are the leader of the House of Ballads" *bow*

One thing I do like about the quests in this game is that a large number of people that ask you to do things are doing it for very selfish reasons.
Yeah, the folks of Amalur can be a dubious bunch. Some guy asked me to steal back an item that he originally stole himself. He asked me this while blood was spraying out his neck like a geyser, btw. :\

Oh, seriously FUCK enemy sorcerers in this game - I'm fighting those Belen's Testament guys and regularly coming up against groups of 2 sorcerers, 2 spearmen and 1 swordsman. You have to take out the sorcerers as quickly as possible, because while one shoots 3 fireballs in quick succession, the other shoots 3 mini-typhoons in quick succession - the end result being that I'm getting knocked out of all my damn combos near constantly because there's fucking fire and wind spells flying all over the place. To make matters worse, dodging will only get you past one of the fireballs, even with the blink teleport double dodge, while the sorcerers can jump WAY out of range at will.

Sure, I haven't come close to dying, but every single encounter against these guys has gone on way longer than it should have and has been an exercise in pure frustration. But hey, I'm sure there was a good reason to allow enemy sorcerers to spam their magic with no cooldown or regard for how much MP they should have, I just cant imagine what that reason is.

I just entered Detyre to continue the Warsworn quests and just groups of two warlocks are giving me a headache.

Zimbardo

just outta curiosity, if i buy this game on Steam, do i get a cdkey that i can use to register it on Origin as well?

i've done this with games like Dead Space 1 and 2 ...Crysis, Crysis Warhead, etc ...so i'm just wondering.

eshwaaz

I also appreciate that some quests that initially have evil motivations/goals frequently have alternate ways to complete them (typically via dialog, but still appreciated).

Rokam

Best sidequest I've ran into so far, in terms of oh shit should I really help this guy, was in one of the last area of the plains.
He wanted me to assassinate some Lord, because he wasn't supporting the war in any way, and the next in line would most definetly lend aid. I eventually decided to do it for the greater good

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just started, question, light (leather) armor vs heavy armor, does it really make a difference? I plan to play stealth daggers, magic, so I always assume light, but are there any benefits to it in this game!

erragal

Just started, question, light (leather) armor vs heavy armor, does it really make a difference? I plan to play stealth daggers, magic, so I always assume light, but are there any benefits to it in this game!

Light armor is really nice because every piece has crit damage bonus. You can get defense in other ways than armor if you start to feel too squishy as a rogue type.

Luthos

It's been said before, but the ragdoll posing of dead bodies is so much fun. XD

http://i.imgur.com/NEqzZ.png[IMG]

"DAMN, it feels good to be a rock troll!"[/QUOTE]

The best moment was when I used the delayed staff move to knock a troll, on fire, into a black flip as he landed in a river. At which point he then started to steam as the fire went out. (I know that all enemies on fire do that, but it looked so perfect since he landed in water)

"Her Righteous Fury" is a quest you get that culminates in waves of mages and soldiers, BRING A POISON WEAPON, that hits hard, you need 5 enemies to die with poison, the waves will keep coming if you kill too many without poisoning them and if too many bodies pile up, framerate will drop and the mini map will start to flicker..

If you see this, load your last save because you'll never be able to complete this quest, even after the waves, the person you're supposed to talk to will only mention "..more coming" locking you out of a related "mob" quest with associated characters.

Rokam

"Her Righteous Fury" is a quest you get that culminates in waves of mages and soldiers, BRING A POISON WEAPON, that hits hard, you need 5 enemies to die with poison, the waves will keep coming if you kill too many without poisoning them and if too many bodies pile up, framerate will drop and the mini map will start to flicker..

If you see this, load your last save because you'll never be able to complete this quest, even after the waves, the person you're supposed to talk to will only mention "..more coming" locking you out of a related "mob" quest with associated characters.

Did this one without a poison weapon, but yeah my framerate went to shit, somehow completed it though not sure.

What is your might/sorc build? I am looking into a new build now

I think my biggest issue is my build sucks, because I've put too many points into beefing up that ground-pound ability, but it never seems to do a damn thing against any enemy that's yellow or orange. Probably gonna dump it and replace it with the sorcery ability that marks enemies and then explodes 'em.

ParityBit

I have not researched might at all! The tree is all new to me. Don't even know which weapon to choose! I am level 15. I was debating going to Ysa before doing the respec so I can get some trainers

timkunedo

I finally caved and purchased off of steam. Should be done dowloading in about an hour and a half. I absolutely can not wait! I'm going mage for the first time ever in an RPG. I usually hate mages and alchemy, but the effects and combat are so well done I can't resist.

Top Bottom