• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Sothpaw

Level 10 at the moment. Pure finesse build playing on hard. I haven't died yet or ever been in danger of dying. I know it's still early, but I have killed a bunch of orange con Ettins (there is a Warswarn quest for this) with no problems whatsoever. I am pretty sure that if there were a cooldown on potions the difficulty on hard would be pretty spot-on. As it stands I can just drink a potion when I get low on health, so outside of 1-shot mechanics I'm not sure how I could ever die.

So far really enjoying the game though. I like the world/lore/NPC's quite a bit. Some people call it "generic" but I can personally never get enough of high fantasy settings.

Only thing I would change...add dwarves!!!

Luthos

Who else plans to do other different class playthroughs (and not respec)?

I know you can completely respec, but I'm only using that to change minor things. I'm a mage now, and I think I want to do completely different playthroughs for my warrior and rogue type builds.

Rokam

I know you can completely respec, but I'm only using that to change minor things. I'm a mage now, and I think I want to do completely different playthroughs for my warrior and rogue type builds.

I am, more than likely going to do a speed run.

Game is a blast but the insane amount of side quests is a little much, especially the majority of them boil down to MMO staples of recover this item, kill this boss, hunt down 5 of these, etc. I think I'm going to keep to the main quest, a few faction quests and the occasional side quest that seems interesting. I think If I tried to complete every single quest I'd get burnt out before all was said and done.

I really wish that they differentiated between the one off quests and the ones that chain together
like the hunting down the Widow in Webwood

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

I'm the same way. It's nice to be able to respec skills and swap a few abilities, but I wouldn't want to completely change my character. It just wouldn't feel right. I'm sticking mostly to Finesse, but with a little Sorcery on the side, since I found some crazy overpowered chakrams. I'll try playing as a warrior or mage with my next character, but considering how long this game it, it might be awhile before I'm ready to replay it.

Tendo

So I have found some pieces of sets in the swampy area. Ettin something or other. Are these random drops or quest rewards? What is the best way to work towards completing the armor sets?

And how does blacksmithing work? I don't get to pick what I want to make? I've put all my points into that so far and I can't make anything worthwhile yet. I'm like level 9 or 10 now.

Torraz

1.) How many quests are in the first area (Dalen...)? I'm at around 55 and I think, except for possibly a handful of faction quests and a missed one here or there I am done. For the record I am at over 20 hours of gameplay and very nearly level 20. Am I somewhat done or have I missed some/many quests?

2.) I tried getting all the lorestones in the first area. I succeeded except for webwood. The counter is frozen at 3/5 but I know I did the first one a few days ago when I first got the game and the other four today. There are none displayed on the map or inside any of the dungeons. Is this bugged for me or for anyone else too?

I'm not going to do this. I respecced from full finesse (at level 18) to 3/4 might 1/4 sorcerer. Of course, I'm doing a semi-completionist run, as much as I can without a guide, and i do not replay games often.

Dresden

Amalur isn't a game I plan on replaying. The thought of going through all those quests again is rather numbing.

On the other hand this has developed an MMO-like attachment to my character, which is rare for me.

I think it'll be worth going through for a low level run/speed run type thing. I'm probably not going to replay it 100% through more than once though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So...um...I looked in my delivery chest (just got to town 1) and I have the Mass Effect armor already, and there were two purple weapons in there...

Aselith

So I have found some pieces of sets in the swampy area. Ettin something or other. Are these random drops or quest rewards? What is the best way to work towards completing the armor sets?

And how does blacksmithing work? I don't get to pick what I want to make? I've put all my points into that so far and I can't make anything worthwhile yet. I'm like level 9 or 10 now.
You break down other stuff by salvaging and you can get supplies to customize armor.

DJ_Lae

I absolutely will, as I want to see how the entire progression of the combat changes as I level up, rather than immediately dumping a massive chunk of points into another build and immediately gaining access to everything.

Plus the look of my current chick bothers me and I want to redo her face.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Almost 20 hours in and I'm still in Dalentarth with plenty yet to do.

Are the other areas similarly jam-packed with quests and places to go?

ParityBit

I think my biggest issue is my build sucks, because I've put too many points into beefing up that ground-pound ability, but it never seems to do a damn thing against any enemy that's yellow or orange. Probably gonna dump it and replace it with the sorcery ability that marks enemies and then explodes 'em.

So Quake is not worth it? I am trying to plan my build and that was part of it. Hrm.

Anyone else have a might/sorc build they like?

How is this? http://amalurfoundry.com/calculator...000000000000000000&30061605501553005530550000

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Game is very addictive;
problem with it though is that there's 200 quests and about 1% of them are interesting.

Highly subjective.

I've completed about 50 quests so far, and at least 40 of them have been pretty damn interesting to me.

I'm going with a mainly Sorcery build on Hard. It's not overly difficult but, fun and addictive.

Has anyone else noticed it costs thousands to repair nice equipment and you can get the same effect with 3 or 4 $62 repair items? My guess is that as I get later into the game the repair items won't be useful so I'll have to pay the big bucks to repair but, for now I'm able to use $186 to repair what would have cost me $2400 at the blacksmith.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
With how fast I've been swapping out most of my equipment, I haven't needed to repair even once at level 17.

Grinchy

Banned
So Chakrams...omfg why use anything else?

I seem to be coming to the same conclusion. I still use my staff from time to time, but I've noticed myself going right for chakrams in most situations.
Has anyone else noticed it costs thousands to repair nice equipment and you can get the same effect with 3 or 4 $62 repair items? My guess is that as I get later into the game the repair items won't be useful so I'll have to pay the big bucks to repair but, for now I'm able to use $186 to repair what would have cost me $2400 at the blacksmith.
Yeah I notice that I just buy a ton of repair items and use those on my purple gear so far, even though I've put like 40k together so I could afford repairs anyway.

Torraz

So how/when does blacksmithing become godlike? I've respecced to full blacksmithing after fateweaving to go to all the trainers and get a few points, but everything I can craft is worse than what I have, while I read that the equipment that is craftable is supposed to be (near) game-breaking.

Where do I get the reagents/parts for such items?

bounchfx

So how/when does blacksmithing become godlike? I've respecced to full blacksmithing after fateweaving to go to all the trainers and get a few points, but everything I can craft is worse than what I have, while I read that the equipment that is craftable is supposed to be (near) game-breaking.

Where do I get the reagents/parts for such items?

I have the same question. I've gotten to the point where I can put gems in while I craft them, and the best greatswords I can make are like 32 damage as opposed to my hammer at 65 and my chakrams at 45. :(

Irnbru

I have the same question. I've gotten to the point where I can put gems in while I craft them, and the best greatswords I can make are like 32 damage as opposed to my hammer at 65 and my chakrams at 45. :(

Need some better mats, I've got a greatsword with 251 Attack :p

Lovin the ride, Champ spec is amazzzzing. GS/Chak = win win win. Use the greatsword to attack, and the Chak to reload my mana

uJJqY.jpg

ironcreed

Banned

I think it begs to be replayed, due to how fun each path is. Doing Might/Sorcery right now, but my next play through may be pure Rogue or Rogue/Might

edgefusion

Are set pieces random? I'm pretty sure I've only ever seen one piece of any set

Same here, I found some Captain's armour (chest) for my rogue and really liked it but never found any of the other pieces. I've outgrown it now which seems to happen to anything I get that's part of a set. :/

Torraz

Need some better mats, I've got a greatsword with 251 Attack :p

Lovin the ride, Champ spec is amazzzzing. GS/Chak = win win win. Use the greatsword to attack, and the Chak to reload my mana

http://i.imgur.com/uJJqY.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

Could you elaborate on both points, please? Firstly, where does one acquire these better mats and secondly what is the/your champ build? I'm only 20, but im also specced for great swords and have put 17 into sorcery for the shield and chakrams.

Game is very addictive;
problem with it though is that there's 200 quests and about 1% of them are interesting.

I've done a ton of quests and I'd say about 5 percent weren't interesting.

Quake became useless for me, but the last ability in that line is pretty freaking amazing. Pop relentless assault so you don't get interupted then obliterate a big group of enemies.

Oh right, that's why I kept earthquake. Being a tank would suck without relentless assault.

Irnbru

Could you elaborate on both points, please? Firstly, where does one acquire these better mats and secondly what is the/your champ build? I'm only 20, but im also specced for great swords and have put 17 into sorcery for the shield and chakrams.

Basically, you've got the find better weapons to salvage. Like, at lvl 20, you should be finding some azurite? or sylvanite, whichever of the two. So say you want a greatsword. Get an azurite greatsword (drop? buy it? ), save/reload until you get the greatsword component, it'll say azurite "something", now you've got your primary component, then you need a hilt, and some other stuff, you can go to Rathur and go the blacksmith shop there, and both vendors have tons of "Greater" componets, get whichever are compatible with your sword and that you think you want, and if you can smith gem, get a gem you want ( if you can't make gems, just go buy one you want, swords can use attack and utility gems ). Bam, got yourself a brand shiny new sword.

Edit: Didn't see the champ build thing lol :p. My champ build is this-->
http://amalurfoundry.com/calculator...000000000000000000&30061605560503505011020000

Basically, stun stun stun=win, and I use recklessness to be able to swing freely and cast tempest when I need to. And the summoned guy is AWESOME. He's taken down miniboses to half health while I take out all the other guys while healing me :p.

Dresden

Bows are insane. A single burst usually means the entire group is bleeding, poisoned, and just ticking time bombs ready to go. The perk where they blow up in a gas cloud actually works better with bows, too, since they tend to be grouped together as they come for you.

Scattershot +8 against anything big enough to take all seven arrows at once is just . . . lol. It's not Meteor-damage, but goddamn.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Bows are insane. A single burst usually means the entire group is bleeding, poisoned, and just ticking time bombs ready to go. The perk where they blow up in a gas cloud actually works better with bows, too, since they tend to be grouped together as they come for you.

Scattershot +8 against anything big enough to take all seven arrows at once is just . . . lol. It's not Meteor-damage, but goddamn.

I was trying to show my brother how op bows were compared to faeblades. It kept doing eh damage then one hit a Jottun. Instant kill. Wasn't even charged

Torraz

Basically, you've got the find better weapons to salvage. Like, at lvl 20, you should be finding some azurite? or sylvanite, whichever of the two. So say you want a greatsword. Get an azurite greatsword (drop? buy it? ), save/reload until you get the greatsword component, it'll say azurite "something", now you've got your primary component, then you need a hilt, and some other stuff, you can go to Rathur and go the blacksmith shop there, and both vendors have tons of "Greater" componets, get whichever are compatible with your sword and that you think you want, and if you can smith gem, get a gem you want ( if you can't make gems, just go buy one you want, swords can use attack and utility gems ). Bam, got yourself a brand shiny new sword.

Edit: Didn't see the champ build thing lol :p. My champ build is this-->
http://amalurfoundry.com/calculator...000000000000000000&30061605560503505011020000

Basically, stun stun stun=win, and I use recklessness to be able to swing freely and cast tempest when I need to. And the summoned guy is AWESOME. He's taken down miniboses to half health while I take out all the other guys while healing me :p.

Thanks! By sheer coincidence I was using a white sylvanite sword.

I promptly salvaged it. I don't have access to the store you mentioned yet but I managed to add 50 points of damage for a total of 151.

Oh yes, but it sadly got kinda dull after 18 levels of that. Also, backpeddaling and shooting enemies seemed to break the enemy AI for me, often causing enemies to stand there brain-dead or they simply ran away even though we were clearly still in combat etc.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Does anyone know if their is any penalty other than curse or damage for failing when attempting a dispel? Are the contents of the chests modified at all?

Right now I can't see any reason for putting points into dispel or lockpicking. Especially lockpicking as having enough picks basically circumvents the skill requirements completely.

edgefusion

I neglected the bow so much to begin with, then I re-specced and dumped some points into it... it's virtually my main weapon now! You can decimate groups of enemies before they're even in slashing distance.

Wallach

Strong urge to start a new game today as Might. May make a new profile and do that since I'm not in any rush to get through the game right now.

Torraz

That is the House of Valor; I think it shows up on the map if you have it, it's in the Detyre region (Colosseum looking place).

Ok that's weird. I just got done with Dalendorth (or however the first region is spelled), so I wasn't in Detyre yet, but as of now I see no marker for the house of valor on my map.

Is there any way to "reauthenticate" on steam and get my day 1 dlc?

This game is awesome. I am doing a Might/Finesse character. I am about to enter Webwoob, I hate spiders!

Have fun. Spiders popping out of the ground and the game zooming in on them for the win/lose.

gogojira

Just got an update for this game on Live when I booted it up. Any idea what it its contents were? Oh, late to the party by a few pages on this but loving this game, 27 years old.

Dresden

Does anyone know if their is any penalty other than curse or damage for failing when attempting a dispel? Are the contents of the chests modified at all?

Right now I can't see any reason for putting points into dispel or lockpicking. Especially lockpicking as having enough picks basically circumvents the skill requirements completely.

Yeah, lockpicking felt pointless, which was fine as it freed up points.

I put four points into dispel, though.

Top Bottom