• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

Bennettt2

thx for the impressions, Hasemo and aitakute.

Can I ask for those who've seen it, would you say KG is a good standalone movie?

sappyday

wait glauca dies? I thought he was in the main game. Also isn't crowe in the game as well? It seems like a lot of shit goes down in kingsglaive and its all cause of Noctis lol

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

Can I ask for those who've seen it, would you say KG is a good standalone movie?
I feel there's a bit too much building up stuff which will be resolved in the game. Depending on what you're expecting, it might feel like the payoff isn't there (or like a first movie in a series). If you're just watching it for battle scenes, it should be satisfying, but there's a tad much politics in it.

aitakute

Just came back from the cinema. I really enjoyed the movie, although Japanese voice felt really off for some reason. I'm saying this as someone who prefers Japanese VO in the game.

As for the movie itself, I really enjoyed battle scenes, which for the most part felt much less "chaotic" like some moments in Advent Children. Regarding the story, the movie did a really good job of introducing the world of FFXV. World building might have even been... too good. By which I mean, depending on how the game tackles introducing this part of the story, people might feel a bit lost if they don't see the movie.

Overheard impressions from other people were also very positive, but despite the timing (first day, Saturday afternoon), movie theater was only 1/3 (maybe even 1/4) full. I wonder how well will the movie do.

Weird, the theater I went to was almost full. Other time slots are almost full too

Bennettt2

I feel there's a bit too much building up stuff which will be resolved in the game. Depending on what you're expecting, it might feel like the payoff isn't there (or like a first movie in a series). If you're just watching it for battle scenes, it should be satisfying, but there's a tad much politics in it.

Suspected as much. I'll keep my expectations in check then.

Ydelnae

wait glauca dies? I thought he was in the main game. Also isn't crowe in the game as well? It seems like a lot of shit goes down in kingsglaive and its all cause of Noctis lol

They never showed in game art for Glauca, though. If the game begins with the Tenebrae invasion and we control Regis, then maybe we could have a Glauca boss-fight though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Weird, the theater I went to was almost full. Other time slots are almost full too
That's interesting. I checked two time slots (afternoon and evening) and they were almost empty. Good to hear that it was better in other places!

Philippo

For those that watched the movie, who do you think it's going to be the main/final villain in the game?

I think they did but I don't remember. The crystal is the source of magic or something but only the chosen one with the ring can use it. The user can gives magic power to someone else though. Like how the glaves got their magic. The 3 figures, I think they only care about the chosen one. They are just there to choose the next ring user

I'm really curious about how this sits with what we saw in the Dawn trailer:
we see the 3 Kings and we know it's related to Noctis childhood accident, but Regis seems way too worried about something that should be standard practice for Lucis Kings. Maybe Noctis is some kind of chosen one amongst the chosen ones, like some kind of prophecy?

Oh they recreated the versus party scene?
Yeah but without
Noctis, Nix is really just a replacement
lol

They never showed in game art for Glauca, though. If the game begins with the Tenebrae invasion and we control Regis, then maybe we could have a Glauca boss-fight though.

YOOOO that would be dope.
Playing a short section of Regis escaping from Insomnia, some basic combat, and maybe having Gladio's dad as a party member then BAM Glauca Boss figh. Fits perfectly what Tabata said about Chapter 0 having a fight you can't win.

True. The only time I remember seeing him was after the Niflheim combat trailer in one of the ATRs where they showed off the various high-ranking Niflheim characters and showed him. I just assumed he'd be one of the important bosses at that point.

Izana

Neo Member
For those that watched the movie, who do you think it's going to be the main/final villain in the game?

I'm really curious about how this sits with what we saw in the Dawn trailer:
we see the 3 Kings and we know it's related to Noctis childhood accident, but Regis seems way too worried about something that should be standard practice for Lucis Kings. Maybe Noctis is some kind of chosen one amongst the chosen ones, like some kind of prophecy?

Yeah but without
Noctis, Nix is really just a replacement
lol

YOOOO that would be dope.
Playing a short section of Regis escaping from Insomnia, some basic combat, and maybe having Gladio's dad as a party member then BAM Glauca Boss figh. Fits perfectly what Tabata said about Chapter 0 having a fight you can't win.
Noctis is prophesied to save the world from some danger. I don't have details, however.

aitakute

I think it would be Ardyn or Iedolas. I went to watch this movie with the expectation that Ravus would be somekind of boss but no. He's just some whinny little bitch.

Speculation spoilers

Given how Diamond Weapon (is it called that in Kingsglaive?) is obviously an FF7 reference I wonder if the 3 beings who control the power in the Ring are the FFXV-verse version of the Warring Triad

Go_Ly_Dow

Thinking about it now, having a spectacular movie like Kingsglaive will really help push FFXV in the longterm. Assuming reviews are positive, it may win some awards along the way giving it more exposure. More casual FF fans and other gamers in general will hear about it through word of mouth, check it out well after the game has released and then may feel more eager to purchase the game.

Ultimately I would have beven fine with the game releasing in late 2017, if it meant all this stuff could be in the actual game. But I'm also quite happy for them to have created this as opposed to scrapping these events from the game entirely.

This existence of this movie seems more justified than the SW and AC.

Ydelnae

Yeah, that's what a transmedia universe is supposed to do. People who watch the movie will be invested in the game. Maybe they won't buy it now, but when they need a game to play and are considering between diverse options, if the movie did a good job, they will tend to pick FFXV to see how the story unfolds.

Speculation spoilers

Given how Diamond Weapon (is it called that in Kingsglaive?) is obviously an FF7 reference I wonder if the 3 beings who control the power in the Ring are the FFXV-verse version of the Warring Triad

Well, apparently they just are the three first Lucii. And the main argument against them being the Warring Triad is that one of them is called Goddess, and in FFXV's universe there's a goddess (which was supposed to be Etro) that doesn't seem linked to the three Lucii.

aitakute

Speculation spoilers

Most likely. One of them is a woman too.

By the way, one thing that surprised me is that even old people came to watch Kingsglaive too. Like 50 years old or something. Not just one or two but maybe more than 10 of them watched in the same theater

Thinking about it now, having a spectacular movie like Kingsglaive will really help push FFXV in the longterm. Assuming reviews are positive, it may win some awards along the way giving it more exposure. More casual FF fans and other gamers in general will hear about it through word of mouth, check it out well after the game has released and then may feel more eager to purchase the game.

Ultimately I would have beven fine with the game releasing in late 2017, if it meant all this stuff could be in the actual game. But I'm also quite happy for them to have created this as opposed to scrapping these events from the game entirely.

This existence of this movie seems more justified than the SW and AC.

This one might be the most beautiful CG movie yet. The people in this movie, sometime I can't tell the difference between them and real people

Philippo

Regarding the 3 Kings, i think that coupled with Noctis being a weapon summoner, they are a nod to the Knights of the Round.

Noctis is prophesied to save the world from some danger. I don't have details, however.

This was super predictable actually, but i don't really like the prophecy/predestination trope in JRPGs.

I think it would be Ardyn or Iedolas. I went to watch this movie with the expectation that Ravus would be somekind of boss but no. He's just some whinny little bitch.

Heh, the way you wrote about him in the summary makes it sound like they're building him to be some kind of power hungry character with a natural animosity towards Noctis/Lucis and Stella which seems quite important.
But i really want him to be the villain since i like his design, and i think its also much more "marketable" like Sephirot/Kuja etc.
How was Ardyn depicted? He looks like someone not really keen on the invasion, more on the "i'm just playing the game of thrones" character.

Try 2018/2019.

“It’s very similar to the kind of decision we had to ask ourselves, OK do we spend another six years to develop that whole complete package as one game or do we spend three years to do it in the way that we’re doing now? I think, it really doesn’t affect it which one you get to see—from a story perspective whether you see it as part of the game or through the film, and how we tell that story is not such a thing which is affected by that choice. We really are confident that we’ve made a really great experience with that. We felt the most important thing we needed to depict through the game was that idea of traveling together with these comrades and watching them all grow and develop as people emotionally at the same time. We really have gotten that in there, so from a story perspective I think we’ve done the best we can.”

Why couldn't we get this Luna in the game.

Cm5qY0_VYAA68T5.jpg:orig

Anyone knows what this is and what this is from? Google image search only leads me back to this thread.

JunkoEve

I have a question....to those who've watched the movie.

If Regis dies here, how come Noctis intends to go to Caem to see his father there in the anime Brotherhood? Am I missing something? Can someone fill this plot hole to me please?

Thanks

Ydelnae

I have a question....to those who've watched the movie.

If Regis dies here, how come Noctis intends to go to Caem to see his father there in the anime Brotherhood? Am I missing something? Can someone fill this plot hole to me please?

Thanks

He doesn't know yet. Cor is the one who tells him about his father after they have left Insomnia's surroundings.

So was there no proper lipsynching for the japanese voice over? It was a "normal" dub job? They do it for the game for both english and japanese, but not for the movie?
I have to admit that from what I have heard so far, Luna's english voice sounds way too old to me.

So was there no proper lipsynching for the japanese voice over? It was a "normal" dub job? They do it for the game for both english and japanese, but not for the movie?
I have to admit that from what I have heard so far, Luna's english voice sounds way too old to me.

It'd be kinda hard wouldn't it? Figured they did facial motion capture for the principal actors.

Although the action sequences rival any typical Hollywood summer blockbuster, there isn't so much payoff with the story, which is intentional as it merely sets up things to come in XV. Those that are not familiar with XV might not appreciate the dramatic moments as much.

However, I think this would absolutely entertain general audiences. The story is basic enough to follow, and borders on Game of Thrones like vibes with the political drama. Hopefully they market this properly, it could do really well.

A friend I went with who is not a FF fan and was unfamiliar with XV found the movie to be quite entertaining and asked if their would be a sequel to see what happens when Luna finally reaches Noctis. So if SE's main goal with Kingsglaive was getting average people interested in the game, I think they have a chance at succeeding.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Although the action sequences rival any typical Hollywood summer blockbuster, there isn't so much payoff with the story, which is intentional as it merely sets up things to come in XV. Those that are not familiar with XV might not appreciate the dramatic moments as much.

However, I think this would absolutely entertain general audiences. The story is basic enough to follow, and borders on Game of Thrones like vibes with the political drama. Hopefully they market this properly, it could do really well.

A friend I went with who is not a FF fan and was unfamiliar with XV found the movie to be quite entertaining and asked if their would be a sequel to see what happens when Luna finally reaches Noctis. So if SE's main goal with Kingsglaive was getting average people interested in the game, I think they have a chance at succeeding.

Did they retain the Japanese aesthetic of Insomnia or was that scrapped?

Did they retain the Japanese aesthetic of Insomnia or was that scrapped?

It definitely feels like downtown Shinjuku mixed with some added western flair. One of the early scenes has Nyx, Crowe and Libertus hanging out eating at a yakitori shop in a very Tokyo-esque side street.

While not distinctly Japanese, the influence is still there, in my opinion.

One thing i think i missed is: why is Luna in Insomnia and not Altissia?

This was one thing I kind of missed, so if i heard correctly, in
Tenebrae Ravus visits Luna with a lot of Niflheim soldiers and basically forces her to go to Insomnia, saying that Noctis is actually there waiting. Regis is surprised to hear she is coming there as well, but Niflheim was essentially using her as a way to get close to Insomnia's wall.

Again, I THINK this is what happened, could have mixed up the details.

artsi

Did the movie introduce other nations, it's a long time when i heard Solheim in E3 trailer?

I think they're all just part of Niflheim empire now, officially. Some of the airships in Duscae and trailers have "SAF" insignia in them that I think means Solheim Air Force.

But I hope we see the locations in game.

Ydelnae

Did the movie introduce other nations, it's a long time when i heard Solheim in E3 trailer?

I'm starting to fear that Solheim is going to turn out to be like Lorica in Type-0 and it will be already destroyed and inaccessible by the time you get there, to save development costs.

Famassu

In what way? Are you saying you prefer a character lacking key factors meant for conveying emotion when they're supposed to be or a completely flawless doll like face?
I understand preferring the more realistic movie-look, but what in the fucking hell are you babbling on about? Luna doesn't "lack key factors meant to conveying emotion", that's one of the silliest complaints I've ever read about FFXV's characters

One thing i think i missed is: why is Luna in Insomnia and not Altissia?
If I've connected the dots correctly,
1) she thinks it's her duty to protect the next-in-line king of Lucis with whatever powers she possesses and 2) she's suspicious of Niflheim's intents with the peace treaty stuff so she goes to Insomnia to make sure nothing happens to Noctis if her suspicions are correct, instead of waiting for Noctis to come to her. I get the impression she doesn't know Noctis is actually coming to where she's supposed to be, so she makes the mistake of going to Insomnia. She doesn't leave to be at Noctis' side because she thinks that would put Noctis in danger because the empire would pursue her.
(EDIT: put this in spoiler to be safe, nothing too major, just some possible initial motivations that might or might not be correct)

aitakute

This was one thing I kind of missed, so if i heard correctly, in
Tenebrae Ravus visits Luna with a lot of Niflheim soldiers and basically forces her to go to Insomnia, saying that Noctis is actually there waiting. Regis is surprised to hear she is coming there as well, but Niflheim was essentially using her as a way to get close to Insomnia's wall.

Again, I THINK this is what happened, could have mixed up the details.

I think that Luna planned to go to Insomnia alone to tell Regis about the shits to come but Ravus stopped her. When she did come, it was an official one

Famassu

Y'all expect a lot of towns in XV?
We've already seen 3 that we'll be able to explore thoroughly (Altissia, Tenebrae, Lestallum), and know of at least 3 more (possible ones) of which 1 will supposedly not be a city we'll get to explore leisurely (
returning to Insomnia by the end, which seems to mostly be about an epic final battle in the city, but we won't ever go there "normally" to just explore it without battles raging on around you)
, 1 is the capital of Niflheim so it's somewhat doubtful how freely that is explorable (if we visit it in the game) and 1 that hasn't been mentioned in a while so we don't know for sure that it's still in the game. There are of course smaller locations/villages that will be sprinkled throughout the world that we will get to explore in addition to the larger capitals

We've already seen 3 that we'll be able to explore thoroughly (Altissia, Tenebrae, Lestallum), and know of at least 3 more (possible ones) of which 1 will supposedly not be a city we'll get to explore leisurely (
returning to Insomnia by the end, which seems to mostly be about an epic final battle in the city, but we won't ever go there "normally" to just explore it without battles raging on around you)
, 1 is the capital of Niflheim so it's somewhat doubtful how freely that is explorable and 1 that hasn't been mentioned in a while so we don't know for sure that it's still in the game. There are of course smaller locations/villages that will be sprinkled throughout the world that we will get to explore in addition to the larger capitals

If that's the case I'm 100% cool with it.

Top Bottom