• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby Mass Attack |OT| More Kirbys, More Power

Kazerei

Banned
AlexMeloche said:
Yeah, I know that (I actually live in Québec). I just liked how it hides one of the angry Kirbys.

As for the logo, I would prefer it as a sticker like it was at the beginning... I guess they didn't put them on packages in other provinces.

Hmm, I don't recall it as a sticker, at least not in Ontario. I guess printing a different boxart is easier than adding stickers though. Sucks for all of us :(

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My wife is picking this up for me tomorrow. I am psyched.

Oli

Really want to pick this up, but I am strapped for cash. URGH this time of year with so many games! :(

sfried

M-PG71C said:
According to Amazon, I won't even get mine till the 22nd. I got a while to wait. I really wish they had Release-Date shipping on titles like these. I pay for Prime for a reason now damnit!
Same here. Used a family member's Prime but still says 22nd.

Just went to Best Buy right after the plushie post. THEY'RE SOLD OUT! Holy crap that's some Kirby love.
Oli said:
Really want to pick this up, but I am strapped for cash. URGH this time of year with so many games! :(
Pick it up, play it later. Don't want to get Canvas Cursed.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Really want this as well but also strapped for cash, R3 last week, picked up Starfox 64 today on a whim, Gears 3 tomorrow, there's just sooo many games this year, definitely on the 'to buy list' though.

Tyeforce

NintendoGal said:
Hey don't look at me, I'm not the publishers. I also don't even know if I'm correct on that.
I'm not blaming you, lol. I'm just very frustrated that I can't get a game on the day that it's supposed to be available...

Tried every retailer in the area. Nothing. =/

Anyone else in the US have any luck finding it in stock? If so, where?

Kazerei said:
Hmm, I don't recall it as a sticker, at least not in Ontario. I guess printing a different boxart is easier than adding stickers though. Sucks for all of us :(

Yeah, I guess it was a Québec-only thing.

hatchx

Banned
Demo = awesome.

Makes me kind of sad the 3DS puts the emphasis on the top screen. I love creative touch-based games.

Will be picking this up!

Tyeforce

Uuugh, I better be able to find the game tomorrow. At least I filled my Kirby void today with some Canvas Curse, Squeak Squad, and Super Star Ultra.

Tyeforce said:
I'm not blaming you, lol. I'm just very frustrated that I can't get a game on the day that it's supposed to be available...

Tried every retailer in the area. Nothing. =/

Anyone else in the US have any luck finding it in stock? If so, where?

Southern California... tried a couple different stores. Nothing. So I said fuck it and just ordered it on Amazon.

Worst part was arguing with employees that it came out today. I think one store had them but refused to sell it to me because it was in their flier for tomorrow. I was ready to put my fist though their head over a Kirby game.

But dammit... I really wanted Mass Attack today.

Tyeforce

eudaemonic said:
Southern California... tried a couple different stores. Nothing. So I said fuck it and just ordered it on Amazon.

Worst part was arguing with employees that it came out today. I think one store had them but refused to sell it to me because it was in their flier for tomorrow. I was ready to put my fist though their head over a Kirby game.

But dammit... I really wanted Mass Attack today.
I know, right? Same exact situation here. Really pisses me off. I guess I'll just check again tomorrow and hope that it's in stock somewhere. Amazon or any other online retailer would be my last resort. (Don't like paying and waiting for shipping, and I prefer to be able to choose the game off the shelf myself so I know the box is in good condition.)

M-PG71C

sfried said:
Same here. Used a family member's Prime but still says 22nd.

Just went to Best Buy right after the plushie post. THEY'RE SOLD OUT! Holy crap that's some Kirby love.

Pick it up, play it later. Don't want to get Canvas Cursed.

Damn, that's good to hear! I hope Kirby's Return to Dreamland does well next month too. I can never get enough Kirby (and yep, got that one pre-ordered too! Gold Box it on Amazon as well so got it four dollars cheaper than MSRP lol)

I got a feeling a lot of these late-era DS titles are going to become a bitch to find before too long. If anyone is looking to get it, I would get it before too long.

sfried

Just how exactly does the Gold Box trick work? Too scared to try now that it's shipping soon.

Oh, and anybody who has it, how's it so far?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
For Gold Box, it can be a bit tricky. You need to look at the game you are planing to preorder, and the related items. Then, once a day, check Today's Deals, and see if the item is offered to you on the Quick Pick's. Then you can save an extra 5% usually.

Rarutos

I ordered mine off Amazon in July and it's not even "Shipping Soon" yet. Profound sadness. :(

Oh well, I have other games to keep me company until then, I was just excited to get me some of dat dere Kahbeh.

Coen

Anyone know of a clean/high res version of nintendo power's cover art?

2itsidk.jpg

Man, I don't get angry with Nintendo very often but this Kirby launch has pissed me off. No one in my area has it. Amazon doesn't know when they'll ship it. Best Buy is back ordered. I've been waiting since E3 to play it and had my heart set on the 19th.

It's bad enough waiting for 3DS games...

sfried

Coen said:
D'AWWWWWWWW!!!
eudaemonic said:
Man, I don't get angry with Nintendo very often but this Kirby launch has pissed me off. No one in my area has it. Amazon doesn't know when they'll ship it. Best Buy is back ordered. I've been waiting since E3 to play it and had my heart set on the 19th.
On that note, my Amazon order says "Shipping Soon".

Kazerei

Banned
I've played for around 4 hours now, and completed 25% of story mode. The gameplay is lots of fun, the level design feels perfect, and the boss fights have been cool. Only thing I'm less pleased with is the "combat". I miss bashing things with Kirby's various copy abilities, but I guess Return to Dreamland will satisfy that desire nicely.

I've tried all the mini-games and so far, my favorites are Brawlball (pinball) and Strato Patrol EOS (vertical scrolling shoot-em-up). I haven't played a pinball game since Pokemon Pinball (GBA), so Brawlball really hit the spot. Strato Patrol is pretty easy but really fun. Once you accumulate several Kirbys and a few powerups, you'll totally fill the screen with bullets and slaughter everything. Being overpowered is great! I kind of suck at shmups but I managed to beat Strato Patrol on my first try.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Whoa, hold the phone, I hear that
Escargoon
appears in one of the mini-games.

Anyway, got this game three hours ago, and love it...I've 100% the first five levels, and almost beat the Pinball game too (lost on the last boss, dammit). Very cute game overall, but I wish they gave the Kirby's different personalities in-game like in the art for the game.

Tyeforce

Watch Da Birdie said:
Whoa, hold the phone, I hear that
Escargoon
appears in one of the mini-games.
He does! And he's not the only cameo from the anime. Customer Service, Kabuki Kirby, Chef Shiitake, and Max Flexer also appear in the mini games. All of them appear in Kirby Quest, except Customer Service, who appears on the Game Over screen in Strato Patrol EOS.

On a related note, I just beat
Kirby Quest
, and wow, it's full of Kirby fan service! All the mini games are, really.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The coolest bit of fan-service -
the RPG-esque minigame Kirby Master is a deliberate throwback to HAL's old SNES RPG Arcana, or Card Master in Japan.
Dunno if that's worth spoilering as it's even less obvious in the English release, but still, cool stuff.

zigg

SteveWinwood said:
Got mine at Gamestop today. I've played the minigames more than the main game so far...

I logged about equal time at first myself before I moved on.

Kazerei said:
Strato Patrol is pretty easy but really fun. Once you accumulate several Kirbys and a few powerups, you'll totally fill the screen with bullets and slaughter everything. Being overpowered is great! I kind of suck at shmups but I managed to beat Strato Patrol on my first try.

It is indeed pretty easy to just clear, but what you really want to do is try to go for a big multiplier by not breaking your combo.

IIRC, I managed 24 million... I am sure there are people here who have/can do better though. :)

zigg

Wow, is this really the newsstand cover? Ew.

gzUWD.png

I've had the subscriber edition at my house for a bit now, love it :)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm writing a review of this for my college's paper next week. Need to spread the word. :p
First time I've really written any sort of review, even though it's just a small publication. Thinking about praising the simplistic control style and how the game can be appealing to non-gamers and younger kids but with enough secrets to entice "hardcore" gamers.

Got to counter the FPS-obsession too. There should NOT be a disclaimer in the preview of White Knight Chronicles 2 in my school paper mentioning that the game is still "played in third person". :/

So I'm three levels in, and I'm finding the game really refreshing. The gameplay is original and very enjoyable thus far.

I love that there's new Kirby animations because that's been a huge part of the Kirby GBA and DS games. Unfortunately, this makes me think that this series is about to lose a TON of charm if they move away from sprites.

Kazerei

Banned
ARGH! I'm on world 4 stage 10, and after spending 30 minutes getting through the level, I died during the boss fight. I was a bit careless though, so I'll probably beat it when I try again tomorrow. I've actually gotten "game over" a few times already. So is it just me, or is this game a little more difficult than other Kirby games? I don't think I'll ever get 100% here...

Well I'm only at world 1-5 and I thought 1-2 was pretty hard. The game has gotten easier since then.

Really loving it so far. Has to be one of my favorite non RPGs this year (I say non RPG because I've played/still playing about 15 of them...) love the minigames aswell. Pinball is so fun never tried the original Kirby pinball.

izakq

Dave Long said:
Amazon lists it as "in stock" today. Is the difficult availability over?

It should. I was finally able to buy it at my local Best Buy yesterday. But on Tuesday, both BB and Toys'R'Us didn't have it. Very strange.

I would post impressions, but I haven't played it yet cause my son is hogging up the game.

isny

napkin dispenser
Mine just arrived! =D

Only paid $15 due to the $5 off preorder discount and a $10 off coupon! Yay for Best Buy Canada =D

Chairhome

Jimmy Stav said:
Can anyone speak to how shitty (or not) this looks on a 3DS? It's my only means of playing it, unfortunately.
No complaints from me. Pixels may be a little more apparent, but they're not offensive.

Top Bottom