• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby: Triple Deluxe |OT| Sayo-nara Suck-aaaaaaa

Yuterald

This game is SO good! Kirby games always hit the spot. The energy levels here and the OST are miles better/more exciting than Yoshi's New Island (which I'm still nearing the end of). While two completely different style of platformers, Triple Deluxe just has everything that I'm looking for when it comes to an old school Nintendo platformer.

The 3D background/foreground stuff fits perfectly with Kirby too. The animations/character models are really fucking nice as well; probably the best the series has seen so far. So much more detail in the way the enemies/environment reacts to Kirby's inhaling abilities. Also, the new Supernova ability is WAY more interesting than the power gimmick they used in Return to Dreamland (I can't even remember its name, hah!).

Gotta echo someone's sentiment earlier in the thread that I too am reminded of Klonoa when playing this game. Klonoa on 3DS with the 3D effect in full blast with the background/foreground stuff...ugh, where are you Klonoa Works!? =(

Camjo-Z

Oh my god, who thought that Yoshi music was a good Idea. It's a good thing MK8 has amazing music.

To be fair, everybody picks the worst possible songs when talking about Yoshi's New Island, none of which actually play as a main level tune. You never see anyone link this, or this, or this.

However, between Kirby and Yoshi, Triple Deluxe is clearly the superior game.

Yuterald

To be fair, everybody picks the worst possible songs when talking about Yoshi's New Island, none of which actually play as a main level tune. You never see anyone link this, or this, or this.

However, between Kirby and Yoshi, Triple Deluxe is clearly the superior game.

Yeah, there are a few decent tracks in the game if I had to be fair, but compared to the SNES original it's pretty disappointing. Compared to something like Triple Deluxe, yeah, I don't think so, Kirby's in an entirely different league, hah!

zroid

Banned
I'm not ready to elevate this above Epic Yarn as "best Kirby soundtrack" but it's close... and I'm not done yet

Okay so definitely Kirby over Yoshi it seems. I know I will get Golf eventually too but looks like Kirby will be what I pick up today

bart64

Banned
Wow at the presentation here. The saturated glistening colors, texture work, animation. The level design just handled beyond expertly too. I'm half way through world three and I'm loving the hell out of the near-far ideas, the bosses, the abilities, all polished to the bone.

Had a similar reaction with Zelda and Yoshi to some degree but this takes it to the next level. It's like they officially figured out how to make the perfect 60fps 3D game--easy on the parallax, buttery smooth, just delicious from top to bottom.

I honestly can't think of a negative, even the music is superb, this is just balls to the wall all out effort.

This game is too good, it really does a fantastic job of capturing the great feeling of playing a traditional Kirby game and mixing it with the sheer creativity and joy of Kirby's Epic Yarn and some of the other Kirby spinoff titles.

My biggest complaint so far is that I got a keychain for Cupid Kirby and it was erroneously labeled "Angel Kirby". C'monnnn Nintendo, put some effort into you localizations! You gotta watch for that sort of thing! This is inexcusable.

MrBadger

Debating between this and Yoshi's New Island... Sway me Kirby fans!

I can't speak for kirby but I didn't find New Island very interesting. The completionists seem to love it, but I didn't really feel like picking it up again after the final boss. It's not a bad game, but it's rather dull.

Camjo-Z

I haven't seen much said about this but the bosses in this game are seriously the best I've ever seen in a Kirby game. At first they're just your usual Kirby boss, but once you get them down to half health they start going nuts, with way more unique attack patterns than you'd expect.

I was also very glad to see my favorite Kirby boss ever
(KRACKO!!!)
make a return appearance with a truly badass fight.

Yuterald

I haven't seen much said about this but the bosses in this game are seriously the best I've ever seen in a Kirby game. At first they're just your usual Kirby boss, but once you get them down to half health they start going nuts, with way more unique attack patterns than you'd expect.

I was also very glad to see my favorite Kirby boss ever
(KRACKO!!!)
make a return appearance with a truly badass fight.

The giant tree first world boss that's in like every Kirby game was mad good. I haven't played beyond the first world yet, but I gotta agree, they put an ass ton of effort/detail into this game. Loving it.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I'm nearly ready to call this the best Kirby game ever.

Yup, me too, and I'm only at World 3!

And the the only "mainline" Kirby game I haven't played yet is Squeak Squad (should I get it?).

Kinsei

Banned
I've completed the first 3 worlds and the games has been getting better and better. This games has the best bosses I've fought in a Kirby game.

And the the only "mainline" Kirby game I haven't played yet is Squeak Squad (should I get it?).

I'm also of the opinion that this is shaping up to be the best Kirby game ever. It takes everything I love about Return to Dreamland, improves on pretty much everything, and adds some awesome new stuff.

Squeak Squad is OK. It's not great but I did enjoy it, and the villains were cool.

pariah164

A lot of people hated Squeak Squad, but I enjoyed it immensely. If you can find it at a comfortable price for your budget, I say go for it.

MrBadger

Might as well. It's the worst mainline Kirby and has a lot of reused assets from Amazing Mirror and Nightmare in Dreamland, but there's nothing particularly wrong with it. Just don't expect to be overwhelmed. If anything though, it's got one of my favourite Kirby villains.

Daroach2.jpg

I just realized I have only played three Kirby games, and I need to change that. Epic Yarn, Amazing Mirror, and Mass Attack. I was gonna hold off on getting this game for a while but the impressions here might force me to get it much sooner!

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Cheapest I could find Squeak Squad for used was $30... Think I'll wait! In the meantime, I'll play Triple Deluxe until I hit 100% completion.

Camjo-Z

The problem with Squeak Squad was that it was a really safe Kirby game with nothing very exciting about it, and the new gimmick (mixing powers) quickly revealed itself to be incredibly shallow. I did like the new powers though, they should bring back Metal and Magic.

It's nice to see they actually utilized the Hypernova ability to its fullest instead of tacking it on like the -dozer abilities in New Yoshi's Island.

In the middle of the third world currently and the game is still finding unique ways to use that ability.

BiggNife

Debating between this and Yoshi's New Island... Sway me Kirby fans!

I have not played YNI, but I can tell you right now that Kirby's visuals and music are about ten thousand times better. Also I personally think HAL is way better at level design than Artoon/Arzest.

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that this game has some of the coolest uses of 3D I've seen - I almost never play with 3D on with my 3DS, but with this game I do. The second world boss in particular is really awesome in the way it uses 3D effects.

Animekatt

So I decided to go ahead and buy this game from Best Buy. Unfortunately I can't play it until later tonight, since I'm about to head off to the movies.

starmud

this is in my top three kirby adventures.... it pays the series homage almost perfectly. perfectly kirby. his animation looks amazing to boot. i love the keychain collection. that is all :3

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
LMAO Dedede got punked and Kirby is just standing there like OH SHIT

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This game is too fun. I do feel like the powerups aren't used as well in this game as they were in Return to Dream Land, but at the same time, the game's presentation, audio, and autostereoscopic level design (well, in my case, it'd be more like "wow stuff is happening in the background and I can *go there* because I can't see 3D") more than makes up for it.

Whereas I took a break between playing halves of Yoshi's New Island (which actually isn't that bad of a game and I think it gets a bad reputation moreso because it isn't YI; it has good ideas but it doesn't use them enough since it tries to piggyback off the first game and the collectables are in weird/awkward spots and it doesn't use powerups like the first game does so you have to play each level perfectly to get the extra stages to unlock), I just really want to finish a thread I'm making so I can get back to Kirby.

lol, I finished a replay Canvas Curse a few weeks ago and thought that I wouldn't play Triple Deluxe as quickly since I just finished a Kirby game, this is proving to be the opposite.

It's too cute to resist. >.>

Really, for the most part, I'm loving the attention to detail in every corner. Even the gyro controls are in spots you wouldn't notice like the keychains. And where I hated the gyro in Yoshi's New Island, I think it's decently-implemented in this game. I do think that Kirby's animations can be a little long and you can be stuck in an animation that you don't really want to be in.

bodine1231

Damn,the game is sold out in most Gamestops around me or showing "low stock". I really don't feel like driving all the way to Best Buy for this,may go digital but I don't like the idea of not being able to trade-in/sell the game when I'm done.

Velcro Fly

Finished the first world minus the boss.

Game is pretty fun and straightforward. There's always a little exploration and I'm constantly checking everywhere for stuff. I love Beetle Kirby the most so far.

Hypernova is fun I guess but I feel like the heart and soul of Kirby is using copy abilities. This almost feels like I'm just rampaging through a game that is probably more fun if I had a sword or was a beetle.

Music and sound are awesome. Have not tried anything other than the single player yet.

Definitely enjoying myself so far though, even if I only played for 30-40 minutes.

Top Bottom