• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kobe Bryant slinging homophobic slur during nationally televised NBA game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6344596

After receiving a technical foul during Tuesday's game, Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant appeared to direct a homophobic slur toward referee Bennie Adams, but he says his words "should not be taken literally."

Bryant's reaction was caught on camera on TNT's national telecast of the key Western Conference battle with the San Antonio Spurs. After getting hit with the T, he stormed to the bench, hit his seat before sitting down, threw a towel and then yelled, "Bennie!" toward the court. Bryant then leaned back and muttered what appeared to be a gay slur.

TNT announcer Steve Kerr picked up on Bryant's outburst and said: "You might wanna take the cameras off of him right now, for the children watching from home."

Bryant issued a statement Wednesday afternoon.

"What I said last night should not be taken literally," he said. "My actions were out of frustration during the heat of the game, period. The words expressed do NOT reflect my feelings towards the gay and lesbian communities and were NOT meant to offend anyone."

The video from Tuesday's game "is under review" by the NBA, league spokesman Tim Frank said to ESPNLosAngeles.com via email.

"We haven't seen the video, so it would be inappropriate for us to comment on it," a Lakers spokesperson told ESPNLosAngeles.com earlier Wednesday.

The Lakers are battling the Mavericks for the second seed in the West. They beat the Spurs 102-93 on Tuesday.

On Monday, the league rescinded Bryant's 15th technical of the season. If it had stood, he would have received his 16th on Tuesday and would have been suspended for the Lakers' season finale. If he receives another T on Wednesday, he would be suspended for the first game next season. Technical counts start over in the playoffs.

Advocacy groups condemned Bryant's comments on Wednesday.

The Human Rights Campaign -- a lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender civil rights organization -- said in a statement: "Hopefully Mr. Bryant will recognize that as a person with such fame and influence, the use of such language not only offends millions of LGBT people around the world, but also perpetuates a culture of discrimination and hate that all of us, most notably Mr. Bryant, should be working to eradicate."

The president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, the nation's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender media advocacy and anti-defamation organization, also put out a statement.

"Discriminatory slurs have no place on or off the court," Jarrett Barrios said. "Professional sports players need to set a better example for young people who use words like this on the playground and in our schools, creating a climate of intolerance and hostility. The LA Lakers have a responsibility to educate their fans about why this word is unacceptable."

qu6S0.jpg

Video footage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t84p7mcK2Pk

Class act, that Kobe.

zychi

Banned
What's the word he used? I can't read his lips when they show the video, and every single article and sprotscenter highlight doesn't even say what it is.

I still catch myself sometimes starting to say "That's so gay" when I'm extremely pissed off. It's just one of those phrases that were tossed around so often growing up, that it's on the same level as "Fuck" for me. I haven't used it though it many years since I've come to understand the problems homosexuals face and becoming friends with some. It's hurtful and garbage wording, but I highly doubt Kobe meant it in such a way.

zychi said:
What's the word he used? I can't read his lips when they show the video, and every single article and sprotscenter highlight doesn't even say what it is.

"Fucking F____" is what it looked like to me.

Zep

Banned
Just read about this a few minutes ago...He needs to be suspended by the league, no questions asked.

zychi said:

Kind of rhymes with baguette.

Anyway stay classy Kobe.

VALIS

zychi said:

Looked like "fucking fag" (or faggot, maybe).

SUPREME1

Banned
He apologised already.

/thread.

EDIT:

BYNUM IS OKAY, IT'S ONLY BONE BRUISE. HE'LL BE READY TO PLAY GAME 1.

BARNES ALSO HAS NO NEW DAMAGE TO HIS KNEE, HE WILL ALSO BE READY.

yacobod

Banned
i can't even muster enough fake outrage, but PC defense force will have a field day with this. lot of bad things are said on most ball & stick and ball fields.

zychi said:

O6Trj.jpg

Maybe he was just referring to the west country delicacy?

he said something wrong in the heat of the moment and apologized for it. holy shit people. we all say shit we don't mean all the time, it's just not caught on camera.

I have an idea you guys. Let's keep paying our professional athletes embarrassing amounts of money and keep letting them get away with being criminals and human scum. I like beer.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
So if Kobe pisses me off during a competition, I can just call him an n-word and say "it's cool, I was just frustrated"?

Just make a lot of money first.

he said something wrong in the heat of the moment and apologized for it. holy shit people. we all say shit we don't mean all the time, it's just not caught on camera.

The slurs people pull of out their hats in the "heat of the moment" say more about them then they or their apologizers are willing to admit.

Talladega Knight said:
I've never called anyone a f-- before.

National outrage and multiple statements and shit is ridiculous, but him saying this does come from a culture that supports intolerance toward gays. In my world, you get called an asshole or a motherfucker or something.

neptunes

So if Kobe pisses me off during a competition, I can just call him an n-word and say "it's cool, I was just frustrated"?
That happens in the workplace more often that you think, and I'm black

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

That's hardly the same thing.

tass0

Banned
Really?

The guy was frustrated at the game, and probably let loose "f****t".

Big fucking deal.

Stop blowing everything out of proportion.

Einbroch

Banned
You know it's nothing like that, at least from a social standpoint.

Not saying it's right, but it's not fair to compare the two.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Its bad but worse things are said on courts, fields and ice rinks everyday. He just got caught saying it.

Not defending it just saying. He should not have said it and now that he has it's most likely going to be an issue.

Talladega Knight said:

Uh...his job is to perform for a large audience, including being on camera for tv. Why should he have the job if he can't do it without saying stupid offensive shit?

big whoop, he is a basketball player not a politician. I doubt he is even saying it as a direct attack at homosexuality.

some people are far too over sensitive, how do you even make it through the day if you're upset by crap like this.

tass0 said:
Really?

The guy was frustrated at the game, and probably let loose "f****t".

Big fucking deal.

Stop blowing everything out of proportion.

Not like it gets thrown around way too much as it is, especially in sports.

But my bad, people are frustrated, we should just get over it.

Sure is a lot of "but everybody does it" fucked up hominem shit in here.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Einbroch said:
You know it's nothing like that, at least from a social standpoint.

Not saying it's right, but it's not fair to compare the two.

Why not? Both are lazily used verbal attacks on someone because of the way they were born.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom