• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kobe Bryant slinging homophobic slur during nationally televised NBA game

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Don't know why people are freaking out -- he clarified right away that his words aren't meant to be taken literally.

I know those words aren't allowed on GAF because it's just easier to do a blanket ban on them, but in real life do I seriously have to explain that every time I call someone "gay" for doing stupid shit I don't mean it literally?

YakiSOBA said:
couldnt care less if he said the F*G word or not, the guy was clearly in heat of a match...
Well, that let's him off the hook.

Sure, he raped and killed someone, but no big deal, he was clearly in the heat of a match.

methos75

Banned
Mercury Fred said:
Mmm, yeah, because people who are "stupid" get targeted for attacks and get beaten so badly that they're near death. Or they're simply targeted and killed. And they don't have full equality under the law.

Yeah. Really great comparison. Spot fucking on.

Totally. I feel exactly the same way about the N word. And also about using "Jew" as a slur. And also "Chink." It's all totally fine IMO.

Oh come on really, fact is that most who use statements like "man that was Gay" Or " Hey Bob you F**, get over here" are just using it as slang and not in anyway attacking actual gays or even truthfully think what they just stated as an insult towards that group.

GhaleonQ

1. ...That's moronic, but, boy, obscenities of all kinds are common in every sport, everywhere. I'm sure there are darts players who've been driven to ethno-religious bigotry during a particularly rough game.

2. Did NeoGAF ban certain slurs? Why are people censoring "faggot" but not "fuck" or "shit?" A gay person doesn't get beaten up somewhere every time you type it, guys, especially given this context.

VALIS

Why does everyone keep obscuring part of the words they're referencing, ie. "f****t" and "n-word" and such? Are you not a racist/homophobe if you use a lot of asterisks? Seems immature, and just gives those words more power.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
SUPREME1 said:
Hate is a strong word. Why do you hate him? Have you ever met him? Has he ever done anything to you? What has he done exactly that would cause you to hate him?

Do you hate him because he's rich and etremely talented and amazing at his profession?

Or is it because he was accused of something that was never proven or ever close to going to trial?
kobe defense force up in this biaaaa

smurfx said:
pc gaf is right kobe bryant should be kicked out of the nba for this.

No one said kicked out, although I am amused how many people are here to make the people who don't like his talk out to be the "bad guys." Seriously grow up bros.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
AstroLad said:
I know those words aren't allowed on GAF because it's just easier to do a blanket ban on them, but in real life do I seriously have to explain that every time I call someone "gay" for doing stupid shit I don't mean it literally?

This makes me sad :(

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Mercury Fred said:
Mmm, yeah, because people who are "stupid" get targeted for attacks and get beaten so badly that they're near death. Or they're simply targeted and killed. And they don't have full equality under the law.

Yeah. Really great comparison. Spot fucking on.

Totally. I feel exactly the same way about the N word. And also about using "Jew" as a slur. And also "Chink." It's all totally fine IMO.

Do you really think Kobe called him the F word because the ref is gay? I think we can all agree that isn't the case. Do people call white ppl the "n word" in hate? You don't understand the difference? Seriously?

methos75

Banned
VALIS said:
Why does everyone keep obscuring part of the words they're referencing, ie. "f****t" and "n-word" and such? Are you not a racist/homophobe if you use a lot of asterisks? Seems immature, and just gives those words more power.

Just safer than to get modded or banned

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
VALIS said:
I don't know about these other *************s, but I need to cover my ass around here.

Devolution said:
Can we stop paying them so much too? I mean I wouldn't care if it wasn't for the fact that they get multi-million dollar stadiums on tax payer dime. Fuck the owners too.

Yea the players don't get those stadiums, owners do.

smurfx

get some go again
Devolution said:
No one said kicked out, although I am amused how many people are here to make the people who don't like his talk out to be the "bad guys." Seriously grow up bros.
i know nobody said kicked out but what exactly do you want done to him?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
why can't anyone who fucks up like this just make a real apology without qualifications? Just say sorry, I fucked up, without excuses and pleas to not be taken literally.

dream

Devolution said:

Kicking Kobe out of the league does seem harsh but there has to be some sort of repercussion here. Letting this slide without consequences just fosters an environment where homophobia is implicitly condoned.

I think a 5 game suspension would send a message to Kobe.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Devolution said:

You must mean hypocrites.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
AstroLad said:
Don't know why people are freaking out -- he clarified right away that his words aren't meant to be taken literally.

You should really stop saying it. I remember back in middle school/ high school we abused that term. When I got older I realized that it was sort of idiotic.

zychi

Banned
BakedPigeon said:
quit your bitching and get over it.
you're not allowed to use "bitch" it's a derogatory term for a woman. how would *insert female group here* feel?

/sarcasm.

free speech, he wasn't calling an actual homosexual person a faggot, he was calling a person who he disagreed with a "jerk," he half-assed apologized so get over it.

if the nba suspends him for a game in the playoffs, i would be SHOCKED.

BitchTits

Anyone who doesn't like homophobic slurs = PC-GAF.

I wonder what you guys are smoking sometimes, then I remember a large majority of people here are still kids in school - then it all makes sense.

JaseMath

Stay classy, Kobe. I expect forgiveness and understanding when I call someone a fucking retard (or whatever) because it was out frustration.

Einbroch

Banned
levious said:
why can't anyone who fucks up like this just make a real apology without qualifications? Just say sorry, I fucked up, without excuses and pleas to not be taken literally.
Because some people really think he said "faggot" because the ref might have been gay.

Yes, people are that stupid.

not a good look to be caught on camera but i wonder how much talk like this goes on in a regular basis that isnt caught on camera

The most important thing to take away from all this is that w/o Shaq, Kobe doesn't have all those rings and is just a footnote on wikipedia.

malyce

NeoBubble

Seriously you guys are really gonna run with something like this?

edit: Gaf would probably implode if they heard what carried on in the locker room

Joates

Banned
methos75 said:
Just safer than to get modded or banned

As long as their not personal attacks and OT I dont see why mods would get too uppity.

That said, people have to have something to bitch about.

I wonder what NBA stars say when the camera isnt on them :shudders:

smurfx

get some go again
dream said:
Kicking Kobe out of the league does seem harsh but there has to be some sort of repercussion here. Letting this slide without consequences just fosters an environment where homophobia is implicitly condoned.

I think a 5 game suspension would send a message to Kobe.
celtics ain't getting out of the east so no need for this dream. :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
zychi said:
free speech, he wasn't calling an actual homosexual person a faggot, he was calling a person who he disagreed with a "jerk," he half-assed apologized so get over it.
exactly. first amendment all over yo face little whiny bitches. good to live in america even though sometimes we have so many babies in this country it's ridiculous.

CrankyJay

Banned
zychi said:
you're not allowed to use "bitch" it's a derogatory term for a woman. how would *insert female group here* feel?

/sarcasm.

if the nba suspends him for a game in the playoffs, i would be SHOCKED.

Yeah, free speech, but that doesn't free him from criticism of what he said.

Wasn't there just a thread from a BYU professor who got fired because he cursed in the heat of the moment?

I'm pretty sure 98% of GAF though it was stupid.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
PhoenixDark said:
Sorry, but I don't give a shit what athletes say on the court, field, etc. I've played enough sports not to care, and said things I wouldn't say anywhere else.
Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom