• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kobe Bryant slinging homophobic slur during nationally televised NBA game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

MWS Natural said:
I was directly referencing being discriminated in a situation for being gay. Your sexuality has nothing to do with buying a car, house or getting a job. You cannot be discriminated against being gay unless you walk in announcing this. My name alone can bring discrimination against me without someone ever even meeting me. Do you include John Doe [Homosexual] on your CSV? That was my point, not that gays don't have their own struggles.

While this may be true, there was actually a case in Britain very recently where a married couple that owned a B&B denied a gay couple a room after they had registered online just because they were gay.. I'm relatively certain other gay people have been fired for simply mentioning they were involved with some people of the same sex *coughmilitarycough*. I'm not going to get into a pissing match and claim that gays have it worse, we do not, but we absolutely have issues in this area as well. It is also worth noting that even if you don't "announce" yourself, sometimes being perceived as an effeminate male (a characteristic that gay or straight people can have) is sufficient to trigger a response because of the perception of homosexuality.

Dead Man

Gaborn said:
While this may be true, there was actually a case in Britain very recently where a married couple that owned a B&B denied a gay couple a room after they had registered online just because they were gay.. I'm relatively certain other gay people have been fired for simply mentioning they were involved with some people of the same sex *coughmilitarycough*. I'm not going to get into a pissing match and claim that gays have it worse, we do not, but we absolutely have issues in this area as well. It is also worth noting that even if you don't "announce" yourself, sometimes being perceived as an effeminate male (a characteristic that gay or straight people can have) is sufficient to trigger a response because of the perception of homosexuality.
Exactly. All it takes is to speak in what someone perceives in a gay manner and you can be discriminated against. Want to help your partner choose a car, or look for a property with them? I guess that is flaunting your sexuality. Pretty poor statement from you MWS Natural, I expect better.

Gaborn said:

The governments reaction to the B&B scenario was a disgrace.

If a black couple had been refused to stay at the B&B there would have been outrage by the MPs, everyone calling it discrimination.

With the gay couple, MPs reaction "wel wait a minute can we check the legal stipulation of owning a B&B? isn't it private property? are we sure they aren't allowed to refuse those people? not that there's anything wrong with those people!". It took months before they finally concluded it was not right.

Gaborn said:
Um, but don't you support people being allowed to practice exactly that type of discrimination?

Londa

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Michael Jackson changed races, so it's not like you even have to stick to your race anymore.

there is a person on earth that really believes this? You can't change your race. lol

Gaborn

adamsappel said:
Um, but don't you support people being allowed to practice exactly that type of discrimination?

Yup I do. I was using it as an example of what gay people face, not saying that the government's reaction to it was good policy (or that such discrimination is good when it clearly is not).

Londa said:
there is a person on earth that really believes this? You can't change your race. lol
Glad you took it seriously.

and, legally, people have been able to all the time. Look up gracias al sacar someday.

Gaborn said:
Maybe they're just against anal sex in their beds

Londa

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Glad you took it seriously.

and, legally, people have been able to all the time. Look up gracias al sacar someday.

First of all, how was I to know you are joking? You showed no indication of kidding around. Also you are the type of poster who says stuff that no rational person would say out loud in the real world, so its kind of hard not to believe that you really meant it.

Dude, if that is the case, then why are gays born this way if they can change their sexuality by going to church?

Papers don't change who you are. I support people changing their race on paper to get jobs and to get a opportunity they couldn't get by being who they are. Because no one should be held down for their race.

Your whole post is not made for normal brains. You sat and said you were kidding then say you really wasn't because of gracias al sacar. Which one is it? You can't have it both ways.

Count Dookkake said:
Never heard of "passing"?

A shame how little attention is paid to African American history.

ever heard of race not being how you look and actually were you can from? Don't be shallow. This is why people that don't look the stereotype always are asked if they are mixed. Cause they can't be black with THAT HAIR!

btkadams

Londa said:
First of all, how was I to know you are joking? You showed no indication of kidding around. Also you are the type of poster who says stuff that no rational person would say out loud in the real world, so its kind of hard not to believe that you really meant it.

Dude, if that is the case, then why are gays born this way if they can change their sexuality by going to church?

Papers don't change who you are. I support people changing their race on paper to get jobs and to get a opportunity they couldn't get by being who they are. Because no one should be held down for their race.

Your whole post is not made for normal brains. You sat and said you were kidding then say you really wasn't because of gracias al sacar. Which one is it? You can't have it both ways.
huh? he said he was kidding about michael jackson changing his race. his post makes sense.

The fact that you took a post about Michael Jackson seriously shows that you really don't understand jokes and/or sarcasm.

But in terms of people actually changing their race in the eyes of the law, gracias al sacar is an example.

I'm pretty sure history has shown that church does not 'fix' sexuality nor does it change it. That's a completely different issue. Instinct vs. skin color.

Londa

Banned
btkadams said:
huh? he said he was kidding about michael jackson changing his race. his post makes sense.

Guess you didn't see the part where he mentions people changing their race. Why point that out if he was really joking?

The fact that you took a post about Michael Jackson seriously shows that you really don't understand jokes and/or sarcasm.

But in terms of people actually changing their race in the eyes of the law, gracias al sacar is an example.

I'm pretty sure history has shown that church does not 'fix' sexuality nor does it change it. That's a completely different issue. Instinct vs. skin color.

Yet everyone non-white can bleach their skin like MJ and be white! Its so easy. Yet sexual preference is so hard.

Dead Man

Londa said:
Guess you didn't see the part where he mentions people changing their race. Why point that out if he was really joking?
Because you can make a jest, (as any reference to MJ changing his race is bound to be) and then make a factual statement afterward. This is not some zinger, it is just you being obtuse.

btkadams

Londa said:
i saw the whole post. the second half doesn't have anything to do with michael jackson. why are you even arguing this?

Londa said:
ever heard of race not being how you look and actually were you can from? Don't be shallow. This is why people that don't look the stereotype always are asked if they are mixed. Cause they can't be black with THAT HAIR!

I am sorry your ignorance is so embarassing to you. I just wanted to point out that throughout American history, plenty of black folks managed to hide their blackness from whites and even other blacks.

MIMIC

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Michael Jackson changed races, so it's not like you even have to stick to your race anymore.

Not announcing your sexuality is analogous to changing your race?

Oh God....that is just so stupid.

Londa

Banned
Dead Man said:
Because you can make a jest, (as any reference to MJ changing his race is bound to be) and then make a factual statement afterward. This is not some zinger, it is just you being obtuse.

MJ never said he changed his race. Why he changed his features, there is no written record as to why. Does it matter? Why do you think its about race? Race is not a look, its your heritage.

MJ changing his race is something that a outsider guessing as to why he has changed his appearance. But race is not how you look its what you are apart of. That is why racist do not want to be mixed with anyone outside of their race. One drop of blood = tainted to a racist.

Count Dookkake said:
I am sorry your ignorance is so embarassing to you. I just wanted to point out that throughout American history, plenty of black folks managed to hide their blackness from whites and even other blacks.

That isn't changing their race. That is being mixed with a appearance favoring white. You are the ignorant one. But its ok. I'm glad to teach you.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Londa said:
Yet everyone non-white can bleach their skin like MJ and be white! Its so easy. Yet sexual preference is so hard.

Would it be easier for you to go down on a girl, consistently, for the rest of your life (I am assuming you are straight) - or have a 1 time surgery?

Londa

Banned
Kinitari said:
Would it be easier for you to go down on a girl, consistently, for the rest of your life (I am assuming you are straight) - or have a 1 time surgery?

I'm female and race isn't your appearance. BTW MJ had multiple surgeries.

numble

So what did everyone think of the PSA? Why didn't Derek Fisher participate? Why did Pau look so happy? Where was Luke Walton?

btkadams

Londa said:
I'm pretty sure he knows that. That's why he said you going down on a girl for the rest of your life as if it would be difficult.

Londa said:
That isn't changing their race. That is being mixed with a appearance favoring white. You are the ignorant one. But its ok. I'm glad to teach you.

Thanks for teaching me how to be ignorant of African American history. I won't follow suit, but it is nice to be exposed to different ways of looking at the world.

Londa

Banned
btkadams said:
I'm pretty sure he knows that. That's why he said you going down on a girl for the rest of your life as if it would be difficult.

My bad, I can't even picture or understand that concept when it has to do with me.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Londa said:

Regardless, I think it would be easier for me to change my appearance with some surgery than to not have sex with women anymore, and strictly blow dudes. I don't think I have the mouth or the... constitution for it. And most importantly, I am not gay. A gay person has probably nearly as much trouble with the thought of straight sex. You as a straight woman, I am assuming, would have a lot of trouble switching teams for the rest of your life.

Londa

Banned
Kinitari said:
Regardless, I think it would be easier for me to change my appearance with some surgery than to not have sex with women anymore, and strictly blow dudes. I don't think I have the mouth or the... constitution for it. And most importantly, I am not gay. A gay person has probably nearly as much trouble with the thought of straight sex. You as a straight woman, I am assuming, would have a lot of trouble switching teams for the rest of your life.

What does appearance have to do with changing your race? Depending on the person you can't really tell them what they can't or won't do with their body.

oneHeero

Kinitari said:
I know I may be ignorant here, but I thought you were born gay and it wasn a choice :\ Well I originally always figured it was a mixture of both, some ppl born gay some change their mind. But after being around gaf for so long I've gotten the idea that people are born gay and its not a choice, I'm pretty sure I remember reading that on several occasions at least.

EDIT:

Ok, gay gaf please clear this up for me. I swear I've read on this forum that your born gay and its not a choice (which i dont mean negatively).

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Londa said:
What does appearance have to do with changing your race? Depending on the person you can't really tell them what they can't or won't do with their body.

I wasn't talking about changing race - you made a that implied that it would be harder for someone to change their appearance, like Michael Jackson, than it would be to change their sexuality.

Is the quote. I simply disagree, I think it would be harder for me, for example, to go gay for the rest of my life than to change how I look.

oneHeero said:
I know I may be ignorant here, but I thought you were born gay and it wasn a choice :\ Well I originally always figured it was a mixture of both, some ppl born gay some change their mind. But after being around gaf for so long I've gotten the idea that people are born gay and its not a choice, I'm pretty sure I remember reading that on several occasions at least.

Sexuality is a complicated subject, let's just say that it's pretty much decided before you're out of the womb, but it's not just 'gay' or 'straight' - look up the kinsey scale of sexuality. Some people are mostly straight, or mostly gay. Regardless, vagina's scare some gay dudes as much as the idea of a penis anywhere near me scares me.

Edit: When it comes to conversion results, there are few studies - the most 'optimistic' say that about 40% that go through the surgery achieve 'some sort of shift in the direction of heterosexuality' - which is lukewarm at best. A lot of other studies show about 80%+ go back to being pretty much gay, and most of the rest of those people essentially just become asexual, which is depressing.

Londa

Banned
oneHeero said:

EDIT:

Ok, gay gaf please clear this up for me. I swear I've read on this forum that your born gay and its not a choice (which i dont mean negatively).

They are saying they are born this way.

Sanjuro

I personally don't think anyone is born with a sexual preference in mind. It's life experiences which lead to the life you choose. I'm not going to sit here and argue the point with someone who is homosexual who strongly believes the opposite. No different from shitting on an individual's religion, race, or favorite super hero.

Speaking of Michael, from a 1985 Ebony magazine article on how artists may look in 2000:

mj.jpg

Londa

Banned
Kinitari said:
I wasn't talking about changing race - you made a that implied that it would be harder for someone to change their appearance, like Michael Jackson, than it would be to change their sexuality.

Is the quote. I simply disagree, I think it would be harder for me, for example, to go gay for the rest of my life than to change how I look.

Sexuality is a complicated subject, let's just say that it's pretty much decided before you're out of the womb, but it's not just 'gay' or 'straight' - look up the kinsey scale of sexuality. Some people are mostly straight, or mostly gay. Regardless, vagina's scare some gay dudes as much as the idea of a penis anywhere near me scares me.

You replied to a comment that was talking about race. Why say anything about changing your appearance if you were not addressing what the comment was saying. Which was, appearance is not race. Race is where you came from.

That is your opinion on what you find easier. It doesn't apply to all.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I personally don't think anyone is born with a sexual preference in mind. It's life experiences which lead to the life you choose. I'm not going to sit here and argue the point with someone who is homosexual who strongly believes the opposite. No different from shitting on an individual's religion, race, or favorite super hero.

totally agree. It saddens me that a gay person would try to devalue someone's race as something you can change, while they continue to say its impossible for themselves to change their sexual preference.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Londa said:
You replied to a comment that was talking about race. Why say anything about changing your appearance if you were not addressing what the comment was saying. Which was, appearance is not race. Race is where you came from.

I just wanted to address your opinion that changing appearance was harder than changing sexuality. If you don't want to press the point, that's fine, I just completely disagree.

Replicant

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I personally don't think anyone is born with a sexual preference in mind. It's life experiences which lead to the life you choose.
Nope. There are studies that show how hormone during pre-pregnancy in mother is one of the causes. There are some studies cited in that long index/ring finger thread if you're interested.

Londa

Banned
Kinitari said:
I just wanted to address your opinion that changing appearance was harder than changing sexuality. If you don't want to press the point, that's fine, I just completely disagree.

Thats fine, I accept your opinion however, appearance, doesn't related to race. Which many in here have done. That is why I said race changing isn't possible. Not appearance changing is impossible.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

It's good to have your own opinion on things, but... empirically, there is a strong correlation between genetics and sexuality. It would be irresponsible for me to say that genetics is the only factor - but there are others. Hormones during pregnancy, and yes, some think that early childhood experiences and environment have an effect as well.

Really, sexuality in general is not a clear-cut as we'd like to think.

Londa said:

totally agree. It saddens me that a gay person would try to devalue someone's race as something you can change, while they continue to say its impossible for themselves to change their sexual preference.
Wow, are you really saying that we're devaluing someone's race by saying sexuality is an immutable trait? Get the FUCK outta here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom