• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KOF'94 Rebout * Rugal and Saisyu confirmed.

The 1st update in the The King of Fighters´94 Rebout homepage.
Box art:
05.jpg

Artworks:
p_japan.gif
p_italy.gif
p_china.gif
p_brazil.gif

p_korea.gif
p_usa.gif
p_england.gif
p_mexico.gif

+ Rugal and Saisyu:
p_rugal.gif
p_saisyu.gif

p_highresolution.jpg

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
MASB said:
The After sprites look great, unless you prefer the blocky look.

They do look great...too bad they're still animated the same so it's going to move very badly.

I just can't get that excited for this game though. It looks like the game is still going animate and play like '94, meaning it's going to be EXTREMELY dated.

Personally, I'd like to see the same style of sprite smoothing applied to ALL the characters that have ever been in KOF; smooth them all over, add in new effects and backgrounds, and call the game "KOF Rebout: 10th Anniversary Edition." Or just take KOF Neowave and port it to PS2 using the same smoothing method, adding in more characters. It would basically be the same thing.

I'm MUCH more excited about KOF 2003 PS2, which has new 3D backgrounds, all the visual enhancements from KOF 2002, ARRANGED MUSIC, and an option for classic KOF style 3-on-3 modes. And if I'm not mistaken, the game comes out in Japan this week. :D

Lyte Edge

Stele said:
OMG, the KOF 02/03 cover art looks awesome! Is it a good port?

Can't speak for KOF 2003 (it's not out yet!), but KOF 2002 is an awesome port. It's got new 3D versions of the game's backgrounds, visual enhancements (high res art, transparancies on special moves, blur effects, etc.), plus King and Shingo from the DC version, PLUS Goenitz, Orochi Iori, and Geese have all been added into the game.

KOF 2003 will be even better...it's gott he one thing that's been missing from all these ports (except for SS5 which also got this feature): A (much needed!) ARRANGED SOUNDTRACK.

jett

D-Member
p_highresolution.jpg

Heh, the "high res" sprites look as if they were just running through an emulator's filter. SNK should've given the characters a newer artstyle, but I guess they were going for that old school look.

Lyte Edge

Sprites don't look that way running through a filter...it appears that Playmore did some touching up on the faces and such. Those sprites look even cleaner than an emu's sprites do; it's just too bad this is being wasted on KOF '94. (I am a HUGE KOF fan BTW) I really see no reason for this port; I hope something about it is different to make me change my mind.

Anyanka

Wow, 2002 for PS2 sounds great. I'm glad I decided to wait for it instead of getting the mvs version. Are all those new characters in teams, or just edit characters?

Are they still releasing 96 and 97 for PS2?

belgurdo

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Sprites don't look that way running through a filter...it appears that Playmore did some touching up on the faces and such. Those sprites look even cleaner than an emu's sprites do; it's just too bad this is being wasted on KOF '94. (I am a HUGE KOF fan BTW) I really see no reason for this port; I hope something about it is different to make me change my mind.

This was done purely for nostalgia, I think (and probably to shut up anti-Playmore "this company is losing its roots" whiners that infest fighter forums and such.) I think for Rebout they added Team Edit and some extra characters

Lyte Edge

Anyanka said:
Wow, 2002 for PS2 sounds great. I'm glad I decided to wait for it instead of getting the mvs version. Are all those new characters in teams, or just edit characters?

Are they still releasing 96 and 97 for PS2?

The added characters are edit only. It doesn't matter in 2002 since the game is a Dream Match anyway (no storyline). 2002 and 2003 ROCK...best KOF games since '98,; the two pack is going to be a great deal. I am importing 2003 however, because I don't want more Playmore censorship. :p (Although SvC Chaos is uncensored on Xbox)

IIRC, the plan is for the following games to be released next year on the PS2. No word yet on enchancements, but here's hoping these all get the same treatment as 2003, especially Garou:

-KOF '95/'96 Two Pack
-KOF '97/'98 Two Pack
-KOF '99/2000 Two Pack (Yes, KOF 2000 is being rereleased)
-Last Blade/Last Blade 2 Two Pack
-Garou: Mark of The Wolves

Anyanka

I am really hyped for the 2002/2003 pack. I never get to play the new KOFs in arcade, I always have to wait forever.

Those bundles will be cool.

When's Shodown V or Special coming out in the US? Seems like it's been forever....

miyuru

Those sprites don't look like they took a whole lot of effort to be upgraded. Should've totally redrawn them! I doubt there's any new frames of animation either (I'm only referring to frames where it wouldn't matter, i.e. idle animation).

Rorschach

I LOVED this game. Used to play it with my cousins at the arcade when it first came out. Some great memories. Good times.

XS+

Banned
MASB said:
The After sprites look great, unless you prefer the blocky look.
In stills the sprites look like a poor fan-made project . The faces lack personality and there's no sign of any decent improv (they could have added some realistic muscle tone and clothing). I expected more/better effort from a hires SNK game than this.

I saw the game in action and the sprites look about the same as the original though, as if they were run through one of those Super Eagle filter things in emulators. So minor gripe I guess.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Rorschach said:
I LOVED this game. Used to play it with my cousins at the arcade when it first came out. Some great memories. Good times.

I'm with this guy.

I *loved* KOF '94. Then '95.

'96 and '97 stank of shit IMO, then the series had it's ups and downs ('98, '00, '02, '03 = ace, oher = mediocre).

I actually used to fair well in the tournaments too. *Sigh*... those were the days...

XS+

Banned
'94 would have been great but there was no team edit option. '95 is everything '94 could have been, and it's one of my alltime favorite fighters as a result. Screw anniversary significance, they should have remade '95 imo.

belgurdo

Banned
When people cry about fighting games not being in high res ("liek Guilty Gear, dood!11!"), companies do it.

Then people complain about the lack of animation. So they try and fix that.

Then people complain the characters are too smooth against the backgrounds. So the backgrounds become either hi-res or 3D.

Then people complain about the backgrounds not matching the characters, and so on, and so on.

Do people even know what they want?

XS+

Banned
belgurdo said:
stupid whiny generalizing
If companies continue making half-ass products and keep missing the mark (especially in an endangered genre like 2D fighting), you'll keep hearing complaints from fans.

But like I said, it's just a minor gripe, and the game doesn't look bad in motion.

Lyte Edge

belgurdo said:
When people cry about fighting games not being in high res ("liek Guilty Gear, dood!11!"), companies do it.

Then people complain about the lack of animation. So they try and fix that.

Then people complain the characters are too smooth against the backgrounds. So the backgrounds become either hi-res or 3D.

Then people complain about the backgrounds not matching the characters, and so on, and so on.

Do people even know what they want?

The difference with this game is that

-No one asked for it
-Nothing is being improved
-It's not a new game, it's just got filtering applied and 3D backgrounds

If you're going to do somehting like this, REMAKE THE GAME. Stop being so damn lazy and redo the sprites completely. I'm getting sick of it. At least Playmore is making some new sprites for their games though; the fact that Capcom Fighting Jam has one sprite and is 98% recycled after 3 years of nothing new from Capcom really sucks.

The animation in this game is going to seem really bad. Like Guily Gear XX-bad. ;) :D

Lyte Edge

Khalid-S said:

...And the Fatal Fury team isn't from Italy. Nor are the Women's Team from the UK (except for King). :)

Who knows why they did that back then. :)

BTW, Kyokugenryu team isn't enitely from Japan either. IIRC, all are American. Robert is Italian-American, and Ryo and Takuma are Japanese-American.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
WTH is Saisyu doing in this one? He isn't supposed to show up until '95. That kind of takes away from the story in KOF95 imo.

Hotsuma

Heavy D kicks ass! STFU sports team haters*.

*The football guy was lame, but the team had all kinds of moves that could be abused for serious damage in 94.

Also, Heavy D kicks ass. :D

Lyte Edge

Heavy D and Lucky are cool. Brian Battler needed to go though. :) Although I'd rather play with Vanessa or Rick Strowd than Heavy D.

Top Bottom