• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. proposes $10-million legal defense fund for immigrants facing deportation

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Full article here. Bravo, LA.

Los Angeles city and county leaders on Monday unveiled a $10-million fund to provide legal assistance for residents facing deportation, the region’s boldest move yet as it prepares for an expected crackdown on illegal immigration by Donald Trump.

If approved by lawmakers, Los Angeles’ two top government agencies could find themselves in the position of using public funds to challenge policies sought by the White House and Republican Congress.

Los Angeles City Atty. Mike Feuer said the fund will ensure that there is “more fairness and more effectiveness in the immigration system.” He cited statistics showing that immigrants who have representation have a better chance at succeeding in court.

Still, some anti-illegal immigration activists criticized the move, saying it’s a waste of taxpayer dollars and interferes with the federal government’s immigration policies.

L.A. Justice Fund would receive at least $5 million total from city and county government. Philanthropic groups would donate the rest of the money. The California Endowment, the state’s largest private healthcare foundation, plans to give the fund $2 million, according to a foundation spokeswoman.

The legal fund, aimed at helping immigrants who can’t afford attorneys, follows similar efforts at the state and national level to provide protections for migrants.

The move come as immigration groups are demanding that Los Angeles political leaders take a harder line against the incoming Republican president. More than 1 million of the estimated 11 million immigrants in the country without legal status live in Los Angeles County, and local groups argue Los Angeles needs to be prepared for the threat of deportations.

Several similar bills to aid immigrants are pending at the state level. Sen. Ben Hueso (D-San Diego) introduced legislation earlier this month to create a state program to pay for legal representation for those facing deportation, while Assemblyman Rob Bonta (D-Oakland) wants to create state-funded centers to train attorneys on immigration law.

It remains far from clear what city governments can do to block or even delay deportations, which are under the jurisdiction of the federal government. But Trump’s win has mayors in Democratic-majority cities scrambling to adopt new policies or allocate funds.

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel this month announced the creation of a $1.3-million “legal protection” fund, created in partnership with the National Immigrant Justice Center. San Francisco is also weighing various plans to help fund legal services for immigrants, while New York City already directs money for such programs.

trembli0s

Good luck.

If there's one field of law where Congress and the federal government is paramount, it's in immigration. We even have a very recent case (Arizona v. US - 2012) which was written by a liberal majority and can now be used as a battering ram against states and cities.

Couldn't they use the money to try and get people through the system legally instead?

I'm not well versed on the process, but I'm sure money is one part of the hurdle.

Tagyhag

Couldn't they use the money to try and get people through the system legally instead?

I'm not well versed on the process, but I'm sure money is one part of the hurdle.

Not for illegal immigrants. There is no clear way for citizenship where money is the biggest hurdle.

Money isn't really an issue for becoming legal US citizens. My friend came to the US at the age of 1 and is still in line to become a citizen. He's 24 right now and has tried most available options that require cash. He's to the point where he's even considering marriage for citizenship.

Rayis

Meanwhile in Texas, Greg Abbott is threatening to withhold federal funds from "sanctuary" cities in the state! I just love the opportunism of it all now that Trump is president.

entremet

If I was an LA taxpayer, I would be pissed. I'm not for deportation, but I don't know why public funds are being used here.

I'd rather the money be used to prevent deportation forces from entering our state.

Like, come at as bro. We ain't letting your bullshit in!

If I was an LA taxpayer, I would be pissed. I'm not for deportation, but I don't know why public funds are being used here.

Using taxes for people who technically shouldn't even be paying taxes? (Still do through sales tax/etc).

I dunno. They've been so wasteful of tax dollars here in CA (Hey-oh Bullet train!), I don't believe anything they say.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
What shitty city projects? Fixing pot holes? Fixing our roads? Making the free way and Metro better? LA City Council has lost their mind thinking it's okay to do this with tax payer money.
You could move to the OC. I see it as an investment.

Codeblue

How dependent is California on immigrant labor? Seems like a good idea if deportations would hurt their economy considerably if we're totally ignoring the empathetic aspect of this proposal.

How dependent is California on immigrant labor? Seems like a good idea if deportations would hurt their economy considerably if we're totally ignoring the empathetic aspect of this proposal.

More than people are willing to admit. Our state would sink without out.

Pretty sure half our restaurants would close overnight if we deported every undocumented adult.

E92 M3

Why is tax money being used to defend people that are in the country illegally? It should only be privately sourced money like a charity.

BlueDevil

I'm from LA County and a lot of people I know don't agree with. I sure know I don't.

Why don't you? Other than that tax payers money is being used for this (not to mention that a lot of illegal immigrants pay sales and income tax, like my parents and I), why are you against this? I'm genuinely curious

Barzul

Is there a way to determine just how much taxes illegal immigrants pay? I've heard of several that pay taxes using like fake info but during tax season they don't file to get their returns. I'm going to assume a state like Cali benefits immensely from that sort of arrangement. It's basically free money.

In my eyes this is just putting the tax dollars of those folks to a very specific purpose, versus a general one. The people against this probably aren't ready to go pick grapes in a field or probably aren't willing to spend quadruple the price for a bag of grapes.

Salz01

Forget about investing and using that money for LA schools and teachers that strive to educate and take care of all the kids, but let's give money for this....

Is there a way to determine just how much taxes illegal immigrants pay? I've heard of several that pay taxes using like fake info but during tax season they don't file to get their returns. I'm going to assume a state like Cali benefits immensely from that sort of arrangement. It's basically free money.

That, and factor in sales taxes, property taxes indirectly via renting, etc.

mcfrank

I am happy with this and proud of how LA and California are responding. I pay a lot of money in tax to LA through property and sales, and I am more than willing to have it go for this purpose.

basically. hate em while they're here, miss them when they're gone. im all for this.

Indeed. Many undocumented immigrants continue to put in an obscene amount of work to survive, to help their family survive, keeping the machine chugging along nicely(while still paying taxes themselves), and yet always become a scapegoat for millions of know-nothings, which of course includes the imbecile that just got elected who has taken advantage of their services throughout his life. So, good on L.A

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's probably self preservation like the bank bailouts were. Yeah, the banks fucked up, but if they collapse they take everyone down with them.

Now I don't know much about the LA economy but I assume illegal immigrants are a not insignificant part of it. Just look at that CA farm thread. This country is, though many people are blind to it, built on and sustained by illegal immigration. It's just one of the reasons we've been able to avoid the demographics crisis that's currently looming over other modernized countries in the Eurozone, or Japan.

And there's the humanitarian angle here as well of course.

Especially not when there are people here legally who need help too. I just don't think it is fair.

Those people are not in danger of being deported by the new racist president elect. This money pool is specifically for legal defense of people who have paid their share into it. What's unfair about that? Is it more fair that these corporate fat cats bleed these people dry and them dump them back over the border when it becomes politically advantageous?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Those people are not in danger of being deported by the new racist president elect. This money pool is specifically for legal defense of people who have paid their share into it. What's unfair about that? Is it more fair that these corporate fat cats bleed these people dry and them dump them back over the border when it becomes politically advantageous?

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2016/oct/02/maria-teresa-kumar/how-much-do-undocumented-immigrants-pay-taxes/

The average illegal immigrant in California pays around 8% for State and Local taxes. Only 3.1 million Illegal Immigrants of the 11 million in the country pay Social Security.

I hate to use the Heritage Foundation, but even Politifact is citing them
Heritage noted that the average undocumented immigrant household received about $24,721 in government benefits and services (i.e. public education, welfare benefits and services like police and highways), resulting in a deficit of $14,387.

Forget about investing and using that money for LA schools and teachers that strive to educate and take care of all the kids, but let's give money for this....

We can do both. California just passed $9 billion in bonds for schools.

But hey why look at the broader picture when you can erect strawmen...

We can do both. California just passed $9 billion in bonds for schools.

But hey why look at the broader picture when you can erect strawmen...

California has what, the 8th largest economy in the world? And undocumented immigrants have always played a part in that, to say the least(which also leaves out the most humanitarian aspect of the whole deal). It should be a non-issue.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2016/oct/02/maria-teresa-kumar/how-much-do-undocumented-immigrants-pay-taxes/

The average illegal immigrant in California pays around 8% for State and Local taxes. Only 3.1 million Illegal Immigrants of the 11 million in the country pay Social Security.

I hate to use the Heritage Foundation, but even Politifact is citing them
Protecting those people from being deported affects their path to being a citizen and paying the fair share of taxes.

Also, this fund will be half funded by private foundations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom