• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La-Mulana: Steam Edition |OT| It's Like A 2D Dark Souls

Ok... I need help guys. How in flying fuck do I get to the bombs? I am relatively sure that is the next item I need but I can't even begin to get to the
other side of the Graveyard of the Giants.

I have beaten 4 guardians so far and I have the
feather, chain whip, up to the life seal
and the software to
travel between back and frontside chalices

I just can't seem to plot a course to the bombs (even with looking at maps on the wiki) without needing bombs or an item I can't reach without them >.>;

Ok... I need help guys. How in flying fuck do I get to the bombs? I am relatively sure that is the next item I need but I can't even begin to get to the
other side of the Graveyard of the Giants.

I have beaten 4 guardians so far and I have the
feather, chain whip, up to the life seal
and the software to
travel between back and frontside chalices

I just can't seem to plot a course to the bombs (even with looking at maps on the wiki) without needing bombs or an item I can't reach without them >.>;

If you came to the Graveyard of the Giants from the Mausoluem of the Giants, there is no way to get the bomb. You need to enter the Graveyards from another area, Chamber of Birth.

I see that but I don't understand how I enter the Chamber of Birth from the Chamber of Extinction. I feel like I have explored every area available to me in the Chamber of Extinction.

I have never been to the Chamber of Birth.

Hmmm... alrighty. I just feel like I have reached a dead end then. I'll keep mucking around I guess. I'm really trying not to spoil too much for myself, but considering the not-so-linear nature of this game I usually look up what weapons I need to take on a sub-boss or boss and basically every sub-boss I can reach wants me to use weapons/items which I can't get without bombs.

Like I said, I'll just muck around some more cuz I must be missing something somewhere. Thanks!

I had to look up some hints regarding what to do in the backside of
Temple of Moonlight
. SERIOUSLY? How was I supposed to know to
scan random otherwise completely normal looking points on the map for no apparent reason
? Was this mentioned on a tablet somewhere?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Polygon talked about La-Mulana on their recent Besties podcast: http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/19/4244178/the-besties-podcast-53-lets-finish-this-week

(they got some stuff wrong, and it makes me sad T_T)

Also, Phil Kollar from Polygon and I are going to be doing Part 2 of his stream playthrough of La-Mulana tomorrow evening at 7pm. This is not meant to be advertising, as it's just on his personal Twitch channel, but it was a lot of fun last time, and we'd love if you guys joined us this time: www.twitch.tv/kefkataran

Davey Cakes

I had to look up some hints regarding what to do in the backside of
Temple of Moonlight
. SERIOUSLY? How was I supposed to know to
scan random otherwise completely normal looking points on the map for no apparent reason
? Was this mentioned on a tablet somewhere?
Yep. The tablets mentioning "Eden."

Though I admit it was a combination of being lucky and scanning
the dancing man
and having someone hint to me that I was able to solve the entire puzzle in general at that point.

You'll often find that objects in the background have significance. Scan liberally.

Finally I got my Steam key from playism!

Where did you get the key? I bought mine from playism too :/

I logged in using twitter so I haven't got an email linked with it...damn.

Edit: actually there is an email address linked to it but it is saying there isn't. nice.

That's the best way for now, yeah. If you don't get a response in a couple days, let me know.
Support got back to me and was able to manually register my account. Sure enough I used the tool and now have my steam key.

Thank you for your help and for the steam key, I can't wait to start playing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Support got back to me and was able to manually register my account. Sure enough I used the tool and now have my steam key.

Thank you for your help and for the steam key, I can't wait to start playing.

Glad it was sorted out! We have a really small staff, so it takes us a long time to get to everyone. I'm glad you were helped out in a timely manner.

Sajjaja

Don't have any interested family members... So I'll just do this instead.

I get money tomorrow so if you're okay with waiting I can set you up with a li'l gift of La Mulana then?

Oh shit, AWESOME! Thanks man! Perfect timing too because I have my last exam tomorrow :D

Alright - I made it to the Hallways of Illusion(?) and am stuck. I've only cheated once before but right now I'm losing my mind. Can someone give me a hint for the "teleporters" sequence? A wise man went right/left etc..

Davey Cakes

Alright - I made it to the Hallways of Illusion(?) and am stuck. I've only cheated once before but right now I'm losing my mind. Can someone give me a hint for the "teleporters" sequence? A wise man went right/left etc..
Wise men go DOWN.............(i.e. you will be rewarded for pressing DOWN in the right place)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
are the controls supposed to be a bit laggy? I'm using a 360 controller on steam version. Input lag to move in air after jumping for instance.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
are the controls supposed to be a bit laggy? I'm using a 360 controller on steam version. Input lag to move in air after jumping for instance.
It's not lag, it's just only allowing minor air control. You can only really alter your jump after you reach the heightest part of it, so you only slow down if you change direction with a running jump after its full height and can only move a little forward from a standing jump again after reaching as high as that gets. It's not lag, it's how it handles momentum. Smaller jumps handle the same, with the height ceiling lower if you don't hold down the button. If you got actual lag it'd also happen to your attack button during jumps, or ground controls. That shouldn't happen. You just gotta plan your jumps better so you don't need to change direction mid air.

M3d10n

If you're having this much trouble already, be prepared for hell. If you're anything like me, you'll develop a love/hate relationship with the game. Even when frustrated, the game will compel you.

Having played many hours of this game, I need to make a suggestion to new players:

There is software the in the game that lets you save the messages you get from tablets. If you have an excellent memory, you can always use the software, but I would actually recommend writing down/typing/taking photos of these passages with your own pen and paper or smartphone camera. Honestly, while not all tablets have absolutely pivotal info that you couldn't figure out on your own, the kinds of hints they offer are generally very important, and forgetting a single detail can trip you up. The game is so non-linear that you can miss one thing and then make a bunch of progress, only to hit a brick wall because you missed one tiny hint from earlier.

This isn't exactly what happened to me, but if I knew at the beginning what I know now about the game, I would have started off in the very beginning by taking down all information that I came across. Not necessarily with environmental objects (which you can just take note of), but with tablets that have hints and describe aspects of the ruins.

It's a lot of information, but having it on hand may save some headaches.

I now realize I unconsciously approached it as I did other Metroid-like games in the past, which was obviously a mistake that resulted in shock and befuddlement. Now I'm almost recovered, I'm starting to get into the game's mindset: things *are* supposed to be obscure and all information and cues you get should be taken seriously.

The hidden
passageway
is a good example. The
skeleton
hinted heavily about it but I didn't "get" it right away because I didn't expect those texts to contain hints in the way they do.

It's not lag, it's just only allowing minor air control. You can only really alter your jump after you reach the heightest part of it, so you only slow down if you change direction with a running jump after its full height and can only move a little forward from a standing jump again after reaching as high as that gets. It's not lag, it's how it handles momentum. Smaller jumps handle the same, with the height ceiling lower if you don't hold down the button. If you got actual lag it'd also happen to your attack button during jumps, or ground controls. That shouldn't happen. You just gotta plan your jumps better so you don't need to change direction mid air.

You can change direction mid-air on a dime as long as you start from a standing jump. Just press jump with no direction to jump straight up and then you can press left / right all you want and you'll be able to go back and forth until you hit the ground.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You can change direction mid-air on a dime as long as you start from a standing jump. Just press jump with no direction to jump straight up and then you can press left / right all you want and you'll be able to go back and forth until you hit the ground.
Again, only after you reach the height of the jump, on the way down basically. And it's the same for running jumps (of course with less air control, but the sprite still switches directions).

Again, only after you reach the height of the jump, on the way down basically. And it's the same for running jumps (of course with less air control, but the sprite still switches directions).

Yea my point was just that when you start from a standing jump, there is 0 momentum throughout the entire life of the jump, regardless of how many times you change direction and how far you go in each direction. If you start from a running jump, this is not the case.

In any case, point is that you have pretty much perfect control over your character until you hit the ground if you start from standing position because you will always have 0 momentum. If you start from a running jump, you will never have 0 momentum, no matter how long you're in the air.

Yea my point was just that when you start from a standing jump, there is 0 momentum throughout the entire life of the jump, regardless of how many times you change direction and how far you go in each direction. If you start from a running jump, this is not the case.

In any case, point is that you have pretty much perfect control over your character until you hit the ground if you start from standing position because you will always have 0 momentum. If you start from a running jump, you will never have 0 momentum, no matter how long you're in the air.

You will have 0 momentum if you touch the wall mid air. You can change directions from there. This one has limited use though.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So I played it for a couple of hours yesterday. I got a feeling the puzzles in this game will drive me mental. :p Already had to bypass lots of stuff that I can't for the life of me figure out. But hey, I found
the grail by accident! lol

So I played it for a couple of hours yesterday. I got a feeling the puzzles in this game will drive me mental. :p Already had to bypass lots of stuff that I can't for the life of me figure out. But hey, I found
the grail by accident! lol

A lot of times when you can't figure something out it's because there's no way to solve it yet until you get new tools, abilities, weapons, or items later in the game.

Part of the difficulty comes from deciding when to "give up" and conclude that you have to put a puzzle off until later.

Fairy Points do respawn. All Fairy points share the same respawn time.

Fastest way to get them to respawn is to save and go back to the title screen and reload.

Sacred Orb that is available in Dimensional Corridor...glad I read about it.

I beat Tiamat with a sliver of health, that one was tough with that beam move.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
There, thetrin and Sajjaja.
UqeoXa9.png

Feels good man, hope you enjoy your game!

I made a lot of progress last night and feel pretty good. I got the Double Jump, and in total I've killed about 6 bosses. Do
Anubis
and
Pazuzu
count as bosses? Anyway killed them. Got the Grail Point in Chamber of Extinction, and somewhere along the way picked of the
Life
Seal. Also made it into
Gates of Illusion, but didn't explore much there. Only enough to find the other exit into
Graveyard of the Giants
and unlock that passageway there.

Not sure what to do next. Maybe explore Gates of Illusion some more.

Still hoping that I come across the thingy that lets me teleport to the backside grail points one of these days. Gets annoying running across grail points and not being able to add them to my teleport list.

I've also been to the Tower of Ruin, Endless Corridor, and Twin Labyrinths, but haven't been able to make any progress in any of them.

Davey Cakes

I made a lot of progress last night and feel pretty good. I got the Double Jump, and in total I've killed about 6 bosses. Do
Anubis
and
Pazuzu
count as bosses?

Still hoping that I come across the thingy that lets me teleport to the backside grail points one of these days. Gets annoying running across grail points and not being able to add them to my teleport list.
1) Those are just mini bosses.

2) You want a tiny hint about the teleport? You have access to it as soon as you reach the
Graveyard
. You just have to figure out where it is and how to obtain it.

I wish I had known this sooner, myself. There was a puzzle I thought I couldn't solve and I made a ton of progress before accidentally discovering that I was mistaken and could have gotten the second teleport capability way sooner. Would have saved some time.

Mitama

Wanted to give this another shot and so far I'm up to the Gate of Illusion. I've managed to solve a lot more puzzles than before by just keeping at it but there's still some ridiculous stuff that I've had to look up... Here's some of my "fav":

Mausoleum of the Giants:

"Strength lies at the foot of Futo". But which one is Futo...?
If it weren't for watching random clips of La Mulana on Youtube, I'd never have guessed that you have to put a weight at his feet. Did anyone else brute force this area btw? I just switched the sky disk around and checked each area for changes.

Temple of the Sun:

"Jump into the Sun." Is that seriously supposed to tell you to jump and whip at the middle part of the sun (?) on top of the pyramid? Only figured this out while I was comparing my own progress with a speedrun.

Spring in the Sky:

"Take the mirror into thy hand. It will reveal the truth of the ruins. There is a hidden side to every room, and the two sides become one. Enter the darkness, descend, proceed forward, ascend, then jump up and strike."

What's that even supposed to mean? I assume this is talking about the Bronze Mirror but what does that last sentence even have to do with it lol.

Temple of Moonlight / Eden:

So here's where it gets really annoying. Having to find four random hints spread out all over the game is pretty bad, but when most of those four hints are pretty cryptic too, I just had no idea what I was looking for. Once you find out you have to scan stuff in the Temple of Moonlight it gets a little bit easier but they can still be hard to find.

Tower of Ruin:

Can someone explain me how to find out the proper order in which you have to hit the blocks to unlock the Ankh in this area? I know it's supposed to spell out "Mu" which means "The Nameless One" but how are you supposed to figure out which block spells out which letter?

Gate of Illusion:

I was still okay with most of the game, only really stuck when I had to scan the Eden markings but then I hit the Gate of Illusion. So there's this tablet in the middle of a door to the left and a door to the right and it tells you that a foolish man went left and a wiser man (who was also foolish) went to the right (that's the gist of it anyway). Now, what you need to do to advance here is scan this random blue light to the right of the tablet and then take a hidden ladder to the area below. This was just ridiculous to me; who goes off scanning random lamps in the background?! Just a little bit further I was warping through these gates, tried a couple different paths and ended up looping in the same couple paths. Again, I had to look this up for the first time in 5 hours (I'm 8 hours in) and it turned out that I had to break the first pot of five pots in a row and press down to enter a hidden room. There were no tablets hinting at this whatsoever so I was pretty pissed at the randomness of it all.

For those who've completed the game, will it get better? Because this is really starting to annoy me now, I hate looking around for 1-2 hours and then it turns out I had to do something completely out of of the ordinary.

All in all, the gameplay and music are very enjoyable but the game's design is flat out horrible. Having to hit pretty much every single wall, or try walking through it, or try pressing down at random places just in case there's a hidden ladder in a completely random place sucks. Not to mention having hints spread out all over the place instead of at least randomly throughout the area they belong to. Quite often I find myself basically brute forcing random areas in order to progress.

Sajjaja

There, thetrin and Sajjaja.
UqeoXa9.png

Feels good man, hope you enjoy your game!

I have to give a shout out to this good man! Thanks!

Some complications on the playsium site though, can't seem to get a Steam key because it says there I don't have a purchase record, so I'll have to wait to play it. Either way, super excited.

Wanted to give this another shot and so far I'm up to the Gate of Illusion. I've managed to solve a lot more puzzles than before by just keeping at it but there's still some ridiculous stuff that I've had to look up... Here's some of my "fav":

Mausoleum of the Giants:

"Strength lies at the foot of Futo". But which one is Futo...?
If it weren't for watching random clips of La Mulana on Youtube, I'd never have guessed that you have to put a weight at his feet. Did anyone else brute force this area btw? I just switched the sky disk around and checked each area for changes.

I brute forced this one. I figured out the dropping the weight at the feet pretty easily, because I had read an email earlier that said you could drop weights even when there weren't switches soemtimes. So I put 2 and 2 together for that one. Which one was Futo though? Presumably you could figure out by reading their history. Which I did, and wrote down every one. But it didn't help. So I just dropped a weight at everyone one, and if it wasn't right I reloaded my save.

Spring in the Sky:

"Take the mirror into thy hand. It will reveal the truth of the ruins. There is a hidden side to every room, and the two sides become one. Enter the darkness, descend, proceed forward, ascend, then jump up and strike."

What's that even supposed to mean? I assume this is talking about the Bronze Mirror but what does that last sentence even have to do with it lol.

"Go into the darkness" means "Go into the chamber of Extinction". The next part tells you exactly what to do in the chamber of extinction. go down, move forward, go up, then jump and strike. That's how you get the mirror

Temple of Moonlight / Eden:

So here's where it gets really annoying. Having to find four random hints spread out all over the game is pretty bad, but when most of those four hints are pretty cryptic too, I just had no idea what I was looking for. Once you find out you have to scan stuff in the Temple of Moonlight it gets a little bit easier but they can still be hard to find.

Yep, straight up bullshit.

I'm stuck, GAF. I'm in room D-5 in the Spring in the Sky and I need to
jump to the elevator so I can't reach the Scalesphere in a room above
, but there's a waterfall in the way that causes me to drop into the water, so I'm unable get across. Every walkthrough reads as if that waterfall isn't there. What the hell am I supposed to do? Did I forget to do something first?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. For anyone else having trouble with this spot:
The store in Twin Laboratories sells a Helmet for 60G which will let you move through waterfalls unimpeded. Enter Twin Laboratories through H-4 of Mausoleum of Giants.

gotee12

Where did you get the key? I bought mine from playism too :/

I logged in using twitter so I haven't got an email linked with it...damn.

Edit: actually there is an email address linked to it but it is saying there isn't. nice.

Did you get your Steam key from playism yet? I emailed their support as to where mine is but haven't rec'd a response yet.

thetrin

thetrin

I emailed you guys yesterday when it was around 10am in Japan and no one got back to me. Guess I'll have to wait until next week until I can play.
Yeah, sorry. We're a busy lot, and a very small team, so we're all doing multiple roles right now.

Didnt like darksouls but La mulana looked pretty good and it is pretty fun hard as hell but it moves fluently and makes you think. So for the people like me that didnt like darksouls should still give it a try.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I would buy this in a heartbeat for 8.99

I refuse to purchase PC games that aren't retail or steam or have steam keys.

Top Bottom