• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La-Mulana: Steam Edition |OT| It's Like A 2D Dark Souls

Dambrosi

Banned
Steam key redeemed, just waiting on another installation to finish. Had a HDD mishap on the weekend, have to redownload a LOT of stuff, so it might be a whiile. :(

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
After a fruitless couple of hours wasted exploring the Gate of Guidance I checked the wiki to see what I'm missing, and here was the obvious mistake I made:
I've ignored the red skeletons, thinking they were regular respawning enemies.

On the other hand, here are the not so obvious secrets that made me hate the developers a tiny bit:
invisible bridges and hidden doorway behind the skeleton?!
that's just too much. The hints were also too obscure!!

I'm also kind of unsure about switches/dais unlocking stuff in remote rooms.

Anyhow, I've just arrived at the boss battle and after dying twice, and reading you don't actually have to defeat them at this point, I'm thinking of skipping ahead.

Khronico

I've played about a half hour so far, and man, this game is cool. I have no idea where I should go, but I'm having fun just wandering around. Fell down into the first dungeon(?) on the right, fell all the way down, and then promptly died trying to find my way back up -_-

lol at the Holy Grail. That's almost Simon's Quest level of cheapness right there with how to get it. I actually found it on accident while I was aimlessly wandering. Ugh.
I had to look it up, I was stuck for awhile. I thought you'd eventually figure out how to pull blocks but guess not.

For new players Buy the scanner and glyph software. Don't leave the starter zone until you find the boss. You'll often get stuck then one thing you figure out will act like a domino effect.

I had to look it up, I was stuck for awhile. I thought you'd eventually figure out how to pull blocks but guess not.

For anyone else. Buy the scanner and glyph software. Don't wave the starter zone until you find the boss. You'll often get stuck then one thing you figure out will act like a domino effect.

There was actually a hint that you didnt need to pull any blocks. I picked up onthe hint but didn't put 2and 2 together and only figured it out on accident.
The hint was that if you pushed that block, it kinda went into the wall
Interesting that you mention the boss. I know where he is but cant figure out that puzzle. I'll probably try to mess with it some more. Maybe I need a new item, but i'll need to farm some gold.

There's at least 3 chests that i still haven't figured out how to open, also.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, Groupees people got their key before buyers from Playism? Grrrr.

There was actually a hint that you didnt need to pull any blocks. I picked up onthe hint but didn't put 2and 2 together and only figured it out on accident.
The hint was that if you pushed that block, it kinda went into the wall
Interesting that you mention the boss. I know where he is but cant figure out that puzzle. I'll probably try to mess with it some more. Maybe I need a new item, but i'll need to farm some gold.

There's at least 3 chests that i still haven't figured out how to open, also.
A hint
the room with the 4 blocks with writing on them. There is a long-winded hint in a room that's very close

Thanks. Haven't read your hint yet, as I have a few ideas myself that I want to test out on my own first. My idea:
I want to try to buy the gun and see if I can break some of those statues with it, and also see if that lets me do something with those cracked circles on the wall

Salsa

also if I remember correctly about activating "hard" mode: dont you like, insta-die once you flip that thing twice? some dude shows up and fucking destroys you afaik

is it totally okay if you read it/flip it once?

hunnies28

also if I remember correctly about activating "hard" mode: dont you like, insta-die once you flip that thing twice? some dude shows up and fucking destroys you afaik

You don't insta die, but the guy that appears drains your HP quite fast (if you're too low, yeah you insta die I guess).

And you are good if you read it only once. I did it myself.

Edit: Reading the progress you guys made makes me remember the great time I had with this game. If you can you should consider taking notes on things. Most of the stuff you read is useful later on.

Getting the
gun
is not mandatory, I cleared the game without it. The money you spend on it could be invested on something more useful.

Salsa

just beat the
twin-headed snake
after getting the red jewel + holy grail without cheating/reading anything. Feelsgoodman

granted I remembered some stuff from the time I played it on wiiware but hey :p

also moving a bit forward before being done with the first area in order to get the speed boots was a good idea

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So.. near the beginning of the game I found a
map of the area near the town
but.. I can't seem to access this in any way and it doesnt appear in my list of items? What gives? (If this is supposed to be some kind of puzzle don't spoil me.)

It's some kind of puzzle. :)

started it, loving it. Forgot everything about I memorized from the Wii version though, lol

Good. Goooooood.

I'm glad to hear that everyone is getting their copies. I was getting a little tired of constantly posting "we're working on it!" ^^;

I flipped it once because I didn't know what it did, and then I made a bunch of progress. In fact you just now informed me that I've activated hard mode. So... yay. Or actually boo. But whatever, I'll keep going. You get an achievement for hitting it a second time (just make sure you save right before obviously).

On that note, I killed the second boss, so I think I'm doing good so far. I only used 1 hint so far, trying to figure out what the deal was with the planet puzzle.

I've used 4 bullets however, and I just now noticed that the price of ammunition is outrageous. So I'm not sure if I've screwed myself by using so many bullets.

Unrelated, but my earlier problem with Gates of Guidance was that I didn't know
that I needed to kill the 2 red skeletons
, and didn't have anything to do with the
4 tablets

Arozay

I cracked and had to go full gamefaqs on this game, there's just too many obscure routes that open up arbitrarily and random "puzzles". A lot of bullshit when it comes to hidden walls and such, I'm still having fun though.

I think I'm almost done, just beat all the guardians.

I cracked and had to go full gamefaqs on this game, there's just too many obscure routes that open up arbitrarily and random "puzzles". A lot of bullshit when it comes to hidden walls and such, I'm still having fun though.

I think I'm almost done, just beat all the guardians.

This game is fucking fantastic and the music is pure bliss. I am playing on comfy couch mode on my 52'' with my recliner! I have the Wiki Walkthrough open with the current section I'm in and I just hit the 360 button to pull that bad boy up and have my insta guide right there.

getting screen tearing and was messing with filters to see if I could fix it. I set it to type 2 and my screen went white with the side bars still visible. Rebooted the game didn't seem to help. I going to have to see if I can find the config file.

edit: found it.

I just got done on my 7 hour binge of La Mulana. And it was phenomenal. Still feels like I didn't scratch the surface. This game is really challenging and I welcome it with arms wide open. That's with the guide haha.

I'm playing without help so far. I've gotten to about 9 distinct areas so far(only save points in 6). I've found a ton of items and beaten a few minibosses and one guardian(found two others). I love this game so much. I do wish they would give the mini bosses and bosses life bars however. There's no real way of knowing if you should come back later or power through. I haven't found the puzzles too hard at all. Some of the ones posters complained about earlier I figured out easily just by careful observation and memory. I'm going to try my best to not use hints or walkthroughs.

Also didn't like that I finally purchased the Text Recorder after I've read a billion stones I probably want to remember. I know I need one for directions through the Darkness but I've given up trying to remember where it was for today. I knew I should've just written this stuff down!

This game is brilliant.

get device to record the messages > record all > read and figure it out. The hints can be tough but all of them can be cracked without need of guides

I haven't played this in a while, but this sounds wrong.

If I recall correctly, there are only 12 or so messages that could be saved. Did they change this?

Ok, I've got about 10 hours on my file and I need a hint on where to go next. I don't want to look at a guide because it spoils way too much, I'm really just looking for a push in the right direction. In the spoilers below will be my current inventory screen and what software I've got so you know where I'm at.

Here's my inventory http://i.imgur.com/nXr82qH.png
And the software http://i.imgur.com/qMb4Hgf.png

I've beaten four of the Guardians and have been trying to save up for the next laptop but I'm not quite there yet. The four areas I've 'completed' are Gate of Guidance, Mausoleum of the Giants, Temple of the Sun, and Spring in the Sky. I've been through and beaten the sub-boss in Inferno Cavern but can't seem to continue in that area yet. I've explored the Temple of Moonlight but not all that thoroughly, only been there a couple of times. I've been trying to get through the Temple of Extinction but dealing with the darkness is getting on my nerves. I've been to the Endless Corridor and met that Fairy and I can also go to the Graveyard of the Giants, but I've only poked my head in there to see what it looked like.

Where should I be going next?

Arozay

you guys using guides all the way suuuuuck

where's the fun in that

I gave up going guide-less after beating the 4th boss. Too much bullshit, ain't nobody got time for that! Aside from the hidden passages, the worst is when you unlock something and you don't know where or why. Even with the guide I'm playing the game and saying "C'mon really?" at some of the solutions.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Yeah, some of the glyphs are just too cryptic. This is probably my least favorite part about the game. I used a guide a couple of times, and that wasn't fun at all either. So now I'm back to avoiding it again, and hoping the game will start clicking. Wasting a lot of time not knowing what part should be dealt with/resolved first or figuring out what a particular switch has unlocked is not that fun. I'm not even sure if these hurdles can be categorized as "puzzles."

I gave up going guide-less after beating the 4th boss. Too much bullshit, ain't nobody got time for that! Aside from the hidden passages, the worst is when you unlock something and you don't know where or why. Even with the guide I'm playing the game and saying "C'mon really?" at some of the solutions.

Ehh idk, i havent found it that troubling. I generally explore everything i can without dropping any weights. Once something unlocks, i go check previous spots. Once there's nowhere left to go, i go hit a switch and look for whats changed.

Once you realize hidden passages exist, its fairly simple to find them. Just make a habit of running into all walls.

Khronico

I'm kinda stuck in the Gate of Guidance, and I'm not exactly sure what to do. I have the scanner but all the writing I find is gibberish. Anyone got any hints as to what I should be doing?

I'm kinda stuck in the Gate of Guidance, and I'm not exactly sure what to do. I have the scanner but all the writing I find is gibberish. Anyone got any hints as to what I should be doing?

You need the translator program. You can buy it in one of the tents on the surface. :)

Always go into every shop and look at every item and make a mental note of what it does. A lot of times if you can't proceed, it's because you haven't purchased the correct item from a shop.

Well, that's it, I am beyond stuck. I snapped and looked at EVERY SINGLE PAGE of the goddamn wiki and there is nothing I can do. Every single puzzle requires items I don't have and to get those items I need even more items I don't have! I simply don't understand what the fuck I am meant to do, I am just being roadblocked at every single turn.

hunnies28

Well, that's it, I am beyond stuck. I snapped and looked at EVERY SINGLE PAGE of the goddamn wiki and there is nothing I can do. Every single puzzle requires items I don't have and to get those items I need even more items I don't have! I simply don't understand what the fuck I am meant to do, I am just being roadblocked at every single turn.

If you tell me what was the last major puzzle you got maybe I can help you a bit.

Edit: Judging by your inventory, I think you should have another seal by now. You are saying that you area already in graveyard, maybe backtrack a bit. You need to get more items.

If you tell me what was the last major puzzle you got maybe I can help you a bit.

Edit: Judging by your inventory, I think you should have another seal by now. You are saying that you area already in graveyard, maybe backtrack a bit. You need to get more items.

I got the third seal from the Chamber of Extinction and have so far used it on the Surface to get a coin chest... No idea where else I can use it though.

Edit: The only thing I can think of is that room at the bottom of Mausoleum of the Giants with the three symbols you can rotate. Do those factor in to anything in other areas? I remember seeing an identical one in the Chamber of Extinction, only smaller.

hunnies28

Like I said, backtrack a bit.
If I recall correctly after the first four bosses, the next one is in Tower of Ruin, also you should have an item for double jumping.

Edit: Naa thats only for the Mausoleum IRC. It also helps to check your map to get to areas you previously couldn't.

Like I said, backtrack a bit.
If I recall correctly after the first four bosses, the next one is in Tower of Ruin, also you should have an item for double jumping.

Edit: Naa thats only for the Mausoleum IRC. It also helps to check your map to get to areas you previously couldn't.

Ok, thank you. I think I can continue now.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Man this game can be ridiculously frustrating some times.

Having to either grind dudes to get weights, or grind dudes to get money so you can buy weights is kinda crappy - and the way that weights reset when moving from area to area blows the hardest.

also, locking me in a room, and only letting me out after i smash the VERY slightly differently colored stone that just looks like it's supposed to be lighting is a really, supremely crappy thing to do.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm really, really, really trying to enjoy this game more but I just can't.
KuGsj.gif

There's nothing enjoyable about clues to puzzles being far AWAY from the actual puzzles, not to mention switches. For example, right now I'm in the Mausoleum of the Giants, and rotating the Sun/Moon/Star wheel then checking every room to see the changes. I'm still advancing, yet very, very slowly.

These glyphs/tombs are just too obscure. And these devs are giant trolls, I'm more convinced of this after tuning to the Koller/trin's playthrough lol.

I'm really, really, really trying to enjoy this game more but I just can't.
KuGsj.gif

There's nothing enjoyable about the clues to puzzles being far AWAY from the actual puzzles, not to mention switches. For example, right now I'm in the Mausoleum of the Giants, and rotating the Sun/Moon/Star wheel then checking every room to see the changes. I'm still advancing, yet very, very slowly.

These glyphs/tombs are just too obscure. And these devs are giant trolls, I'm more convinced of this after tuning to the Koller/trin's playthrough lol.

Just use the guide :)

I seriously have zero idea how anyone could have played this without a guide. I have been stuck multiple times by "puzzles" involving walls that are identical to every other wall in the area that needed to be hit ten times -_-

That being said... I'm still enjoying the game.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Just use the guide :)
I used it a couple of times, and it just sucks the fun out of the game. It tells you to go from A to B, telling you what to do along the way, but not why (e.g. connecting puzzles to glyphs), thus depriving you of any "Aha!" moments. I'm really torn, but for now I'll continue trudging without one, hoping my memory starts serving me better, because I really don't feel like taking actual notes.

I wish there was a software to auto-store the glyph messages.

Top Bottom