• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La-Mulana: Steam Edition |OT| It's Like A 2D Dark Souls

I used it a couple of times, and it just sucks the fun out of the game. It tells you to go from A to B, telling you what to do along the way, but not why (e.g. connecting puzzles to glyphs), thus depriving you of any "Aha!" moments. I'm really torn, but for now I'll continue trudging without one, hoping my memory starts serving me better, because I really don't feel like taking actual notes.

I wish there was a software to auto-store the glyph messages.

What guide are you using? I am using the wikia and it doesn't have like a set path of what to(in order I suppose)do which I would like(I know there isn't just one way to beat things).

Oh, I've looked at a FAQ on gameFAQs a couple of times and hated it. Maybe I should switch?

Yes. I looked at the two they have and they don't really have a good format that I can follow. Try out the wikia one its really good. I usually get lost trying to find out how to get a item since it leads to a rabbit hole of information to get other items to get that one item I orignally wanted to get ahaha

soldat7

I have this on GOG, but am wondering what the principle differences are between PC and Wii? I don't care about the missing secret level, but I do care about playing with a controller. The PC controls are driving me mad, so I'm tempted to re-buy for Wii.

Baha

I have this on GOG, but am wondering what the principle differences are between PC and Wii? I don't care about the missing secret level, but I do care about playing with a controller. The PC controls are driving me mad, so I'm tempted to re-buy for Wii.

If you have a 360 controller or a DS3 with motioninjoy, you'll be set.

soldat7

If you have a 360 controller or a DS3 with motioninjoy, you'll be set.

Hm. I'll look into this. I only have wireless 360 and DS3 controllers with very short usb cables (if any at all, in the case of my 360 controller). Thanks!

Davey Cakes

I've been using the Wiki to look at what effects the software have. I think that's fair. In the game, you get software that says it's one of Nigoro's flash games, but it actually has a purpose and a useful effect. I'm not sure if this info is in the manual, but it's there in the Wiki.

One of my recent discoveries is that
there are software combinations that guarantee what kinds of fairies you get. Guaranteeing an "item fairy" is very useful when you're in need of money. Also, guaranteeing a "key fairy" is nice for finding secrets, like the Fairy Clothes which are a godsend.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Japanese made spleunky?

Not really. Spelunky is much more of a platformer, La-Mulana is more about exploration and puzzle solving. If you go into La-Mulana expecting something like Spelunky, the way your character moves and controls will turn you off pretty quickly.

(Play both Spelunky and La-Mulana)

Why am I not able to teleport to
Twin Labyrinths
using the Grail? I scanned the save point and everything, but it doesn't allow me to teleport there. Is this the only area like that, or are there others?

Davey Cakes

Why am I not able to teleport to
Twin Labyrinths
using the Grail? I scanned the save point and everything, but it doesn't allow me to teleport there. Is this the only area like that, or are there others?
You need a particular software program in order to teleport there and to certain other places.

This Grail Tablet in particular, in the place you named, the
Twin Labyrinths
, requires that software.

There is actually another Grail Tablet in that area that doesn't carry the same requirement, though, but you don't have access to it yet.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So Playism hasn't given out the steam keys yet??

We're working on it. Promise. :) (the weekend just made the wait longer)

Japanese made spleunky?

Nope, though Spelunky was, as far as I know, heavily influenced in tone and aesthetic by La Mulana.

La Mulana is about exploration, solving puzzles, fighting huge bosses, and collecting cool items. It's more Metroidvania than action rogue-like.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
;_; dat Inferno Cavern

Reminds me of God Of War rotating blades lol

Inferno cavern made for some hilarious deaths for me. Having an audience while I played made the deaths less soul crushing, and more funny.

Davey Cakes

Inferno cavern made for some hilarious deaths for me. Having an audience while I played made the deaths less soul crushing, and more funny.
The part I hate in Inferno Cavern is towards the bottom, where you can fall into the magma. The swimming controls coupled with the fiery chunks that leap out of the water make for a somewhat frustrating experience. At this point if I fall in by accident I'll just warp to the Grail Tablet to save the frustration. Hah.

That Playisim link isn't working. I can log into my playisim account and see my purchase clear as day, but that linked page tells me there is no record of my account.

I'll be contacting support.

thetrin

The part I hate in Inferno Cavern is towards the bottom, where you can fall into the magma. The swimming controls coupled with the fiery chunks that leap out of the water make for a somewhat frustrating experience. At this point if I fall in by accident I'll just warp to the Grail Tablet to save the frustration. Hah.

As far as I'm concerned, warping out is the smartest way to do it, as by the time I get out, I'm almost dead, and then I get knocked back in by a flying boulder.

That Playisim link isn't working. I can log into my playisim account and see my purchase clear as day, but that linked page tells me there is no record of my account.

I'll be contacting support.

Sorry to hear that. The page reads from our account database, so it should work, but there've been a few people who seem to have fallen through the cracks.

Yea the swimming controls are totally bugged and it's annoying as all hell. The worst part is that sometimes it gets confused so that pushing left means you go right

Sorry to hear that. The page reads from our account database, so it should work, but there've been a few people who seem to have fallen through the cracks.
I just sent an email off to contact@playism-games.com explaining the problem. Is that the best way to have this resolved? I can log into my playism account and see the game under My Account > Downloads. I'm sure you guys will get it worked out.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I was quite annoyed that it didn't give me my Steam code until I realised I got it in a bundle and not from Playism, how dumb of me. Great to see it on steam though :) Hope it does well!

Davey Cakes

Yea the swimming controls are totally bugged and it's annoying as all hell. The worst part is that sometimes it gets confused so that pushing left means you go right
All I know is that if you have a certain amount of momentum going into water or magma, the more you fight it the more the momentum will carry you in the opposite direction you want to go.

It's quite devious control design.

All I know is that if you have a certain amount of momentum going into water or magma, the more you fight it the more the momentum will carry you in the opposite direction you want to go.

It's quite devious control design.

I don't think that's design, as it doesn't even make sense from any possible standpoint. All you have to do is take your finger off of the d pad for a second. You lose hardly any momentum at all that way, and instantly it makes the d-pad start working correctly again. So I consider it a bug personally.

Never found any problems with water controls at all my 60+ hours of gameplay.

What system are you playing on? Seems unlikely it would exist on one system but not the other, but also seems unlikely you would nave have experienced this, since it happens so often.

Basically when you're in water / lava / whatever and swimming one direction (say right), something can trigger an effect where holding left makes you continue swimming right while facing left. So you swim backwards in the opposite direction as what you're pressing. The way to break it is to take your finger off of the dpad (left in this case) and then quickly press it again.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Never found any problems with water controls at all my 60+ hours of gameplay.

60hours+? Yikes.

Just started the game, died already. I can see this happening a lot. Absolutely love the music, and the art style is quickly growing on me.

Davey Cakes

I'm a little over 30 hours myself.

This game takes an eternity if you're not particularly good at solving all of the puzzles. If I was using a Wiki the entire way, it would have been a shorter experience but since I use that thing only sparingly (and when I'm desperate for progression) it's been quite a slow experience. This game is the king of roadblocking.

If you knew everything you could probably beat it in 5 hours.

thetrin

I just sent an email off to contact@playism-games.com explaining the problem. Is that the best way to have this resolved? I can log into my playism account and see the game under My Account > Downloads. I'm sure you guys will get it worked out.

That's the best way for now, yeah. If you don't get a response in a couple days, let me know.

I was quite annoyed that it didn't give me my Steam code until I realised I got it in a bundle and not from Playism, how dumb of me. Great to see it on steam though :) Hope it does well!

Was it the Groupees bundle?

Basically when you're in water / lava / whatever and swimming one direction (say right), something can trigger an effect where holding left makes you continue swimming right while facing left. So you swim backwards in the opposite direction as what you're pressing. The way to break it is to take your finger off of the dpad (left in this case) and then quickly press it again.

It's not bugged, it's actually working as intended. The water controls work on a momentum based system, so you cannot turn on a dime without, as you said, taking your finger off the dpad.

It's not bugged, it's actually working as intended. The water controls work on a momentum based system, so you cannot turn on a dime without, as you said, taking your finger off the dpad.

Then shouldn't it just slow you down? Going left at full speed indefinitely while holding right just makes no sense and is bad control design, momentum based or not.

I'm a little over 30 hours myself.

This game takes an eternity if you're not particularly good at solving all of the puzzles. If I was using a Wiki the entire way, it would have been a shorter experience but since I use that thing only sparingly (and when I'm desperate for progression) it's been quite a slow experience. This game is the king of roadblocking.

If you knew everything you could probably beat it in 5 hours.

26 hours here with full guide assistance ahahaha. I have died alot as well. Just beat the Twin Labyrinths boss.

Got mine in the Groupees bundle. From what I understand, they told people about their la-mulana keys in the newsletter they send out, but I deleted mine because it was primarily a promo for some other bundle they were doing. If you log into groupees.com and check your profile you should find your key.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That's the best way for now, yeah. If you don't get a response in a couple days, let me know.

Indeed, so if there's a way to donate to the developer directly I'd be happy to do it, because it was quite a steal.

thetrin

Indeed, so if there's a way to donate to the developer directly I'd be happy to do it, because it was quite a steal.

You could always buy a second copy for a family member, from Playism. ;)

Maedhros

What system are you playing on? Seems unlikely it would exist on one system but not the other, but also seems unlikely you would nave have experienced this, since it happens so often.

I don't play it like that. I know there's a physics system in the game, so I play accordling to it.

So yeah, no problems at all. PC btw.

Also, 60+ hours because I didn't used a guide to finish it (used only to get to the Hell Temple).

FloatOn

I'm knee deep in the sun temple and loving this game. Sakit was a real jerk though. That bridge fist recoil damage was the stuff of nightmares.

Davey Cakes

La-Mulana definitely has "fuck this game" moments.

Like, when I didn't realize until 32 hours into the game that I had access to the Dragon Bone, which is a pivotal item at a certain point.

Yeah, no wonder I hit a brick wall in the Chamber of Birth and got so frustrated. Sometimes I feel like this game trips me up more with its trivial and cryptic puzzle/design decisions than with its actual puzzles. Thank heavens for the La-Mulana Wiki for helping where logic just isn't enough.

M3d10n

My experience is almost identical do Jinfash's: had to go to a FAQ to complete Gate of Guidance, felt I was trolled by hidden
passageways
, invisible
bridge
and the
red skeletons
. Even the puzzle near the entrance to Chamber of Giants got me (I didn't realize I had to
actually destroy the tablets
and got zapped to death many times).

Heck, I couldn't even find the goddamn grail on my own. I feel dumb.

Davey Cakes

My experience is almost identical do Jinfash's: had to go to a FAQ to complete Gate of Guidance, felt I was trolled by hidden
passageways
, invisible
bridge
and the
red skeletons
. Even the puzzle near the entrance to Chamber of Giants got me (I didn't realize I had to
actually destroy the tablets
and got zapped to death many times).

Heck, I couldn't even find the goddamn grail on my own. I feel dumb.
If you're having this much trouble already, be prepared for hell. If you're anything like me, you'll develop a love/hate relationship with the game. Even when frustrated, the game will compel you.

Having played many hours of this game, I need to make a suggestion to new players:

There is software the in the game that lets you save the messages you get from tablets. If you have an excellent memory, you can always use the software, but I would actually recommend writing down/typing/taking photos of these passages with your own pen and paper or smartphone camera. Honestly, while not all tablets have absolutely pivotal info that you couldn't figure out on your own, the kinds of hints they offer are generally very important, and forgetting a single detail can trip you up. The game is so non-linear that you can miss one thing and then make a bunch of progress, only to hit a brick wall because you missed one tiny hint from earlier.

This isn't exactly what happened to me, but if I knew at the beginning what I know now about the game, I would have started off in the very beginning by taking down all information that I came across. Not necessarily with environmental objects (which you can just take note of), but with tablets that have hints and describe aspects of the ruins.

It's a lot of information, but having it on hand may save some headaches.

hunnies28

La-Mulana definitely has "fuck this game" moments.

Like, when I didn't realize until 32 hours into the game that I had access to the Dragon Bone, which is a pivotal item at a certain point.

Yeah, no wonder I hit a brick wall in the Chamber of Birth and got so frustrated. Sometimes I feel like this game trips me up more with its trivial and cryptic puzzle/design decisions than with its actual puzzles. Thank heavens for the La-Mulana Wiki for helping where logic just isn't enough.

Chamber of Birth and
Gate of Illiusion
were horrible experiences for me.

Maedhros

If you're having this much trouble already, be prepared for hell. If you're anything like me, you'll develop a love/hate relationship with the game. Even when frustrated, the game will compel you.

Having played many hours of this game, I need to make a suggestion to new players:

There is software the in the game that lets you save the messages you get from tablets. If you have an excellent memory, you can always use the software, but I would actually recommend writing down/typing/taking photos of these passages with your own pen and paper or smartphone camera. Honestly, while not all tablets have absolutely pivotal info that you couldn't figure out on your own, the kinds of hints they offer are generally very important, and forgetting a single detail can trip you up. The game is so non-linear that you can miss one thing and then make a bunch of progress, only to hit a brick wall because you missed one tiny hint from earlier.

This isn't exactly what happened to me, but if I knew at the beginning what I know now about the game, I would have started off in the very beginning by taking down all information that I came across. Not necessarily with environmental objects (which you can just take note of), but with tablets that have hints and describe aspects of the ruins.

It's a lot of information, but having it on hand may save some headaches.

Have in mind that THE NAME OF THE ROOMS also give hints to many, many puzzles.

Top Bottom