• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Microsoft announces X360 pricing at lollapalooza 2005

Tedesco!

sp0rsk said:
i must be a little kid because i cant afford 400 dollars for a video game s ystem

That's the thing, it's just not $400. There's also the price for an extra controller, not to mention games. The tag goes above $500 after that, and personally that's too much to pay.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tedesco! said:
That's the thing, it's just not $400. There's also the price for an extra controller, not to mention games. The tag goes above $500 after that, and personally that's too much to pay.

plus tax for you US GAFfers

Gattsu25

Banned
IF this is true:
Never specifically used the HDD for anything other than game saves on the XBox. Had a remote but never used it. Had Live but didn't think too highly of it. Just about the only thing about the standard pack that actually affects me is the lack of a wireless controller and having to buy a memory card. I put up with that stuff before, though so it's not like it's a very big deal for me one way or the other.

I see Value Pack goodness in my future...but only on emergence day

PhatSaqs

Banned
399 is fine and dandy if it includes shit like the headset, HD cables, etc (probably means one less game @ launch tho).

I just dont get the 299 box with wired controller and no storage at all. At least slap in a MC.

i must be a little kid because i cant afford 400 dollars for a video game s ystem

How can you afford to buy games? In any given year, I spend a lot less on hardware than on software, even with launch prices. Frankly, a 360 with a pretty beefy bundle at $400 is a lot better deal than a PSP 'value pack' (that wasn't even optional) at $250. Sony owned us all (including me) with that one, and there hasn't been a high-rated game released since launch!

Geek

Ninny Prancer
I was planning on resisting the launch because of a lack of personally compelling software (and a distaste for the cheeseball MS marketing) so these two price point/feature options make it that much easier.

OCF!!!

Pimpwerx

Mama mia. I was hoping for $300 with the HDD. I did believe the hype. :( No biggy. Looks like I'll be holding off on both next-gen systems until probably next Fall at the earliest. Time to buy some other stuff in the meantime. PEACE.

bitwise

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Sony owned us all (including me) with that one, and there hasn't been a high-rated game released since launch!

hehe, and me. but i'm gonna go the sp0rsk route and trade that psp in towards my $400 360 :)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Tedesco! said:

a. inflation
b. see ps3 over there? it's might even cost more than $399 on launch day.
c. microsoft is still selling at a nice big loss
d. headset... remote control...

Tedesco!

DopeyFish said:
a. inflation
b. see ps3 over there? it's might even cost more than $399 on launch day.
c. microsoft is still selling at a nice big loss
d. headset... remote control...

Which is fine. I just won't be buying it at launch. Those are valid reason, just not valid enough for me to warrant spending a lot of money.

Izzy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

:lol :lol :lol

From the same thread:

Jonnyram
hey NINTIHING Pigmen,
are you allright?
(06-09-2005, 10:24 AM)
Reply | Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by mrklaw:
He's waffling about CELL Storage again. This mythical terabyte network storage with CELL processing that will 'ripen' your DVDs into HD blah blah (yeah, way to fuck off your bluray selling movie studio Ken!)
It's interesting that so many people in the FFXI thread assumed that PS3 FFXI was confirmed, but what Tanaka said is that Square is not prepared to buy the network storage that would be needed for FFXI, even though the majority of players are on connections that will deal with that. It would be hugely expensive for Square and unless there is a HDD for PS3, FFXI will not get released. But somehow this got turned into "OMG FFXI is coming to PS3 as well!".

:lol

Gregory

Banned
What`s the big deal here? WTF?

The basic 299 pack will sell tons more than the 399 because most people don`t give a shit about wireless, Live, harddrive etc. Which MS found out with the Xbox.

I thank MS for not forcing me to pay for crap I don`t want.

And if some people with the basic pack suddenly want online etc, it`s not like they can`t get it later. Jeez.

Mrbob

PS3 will cost more than 399 launch day? Yeah, right.

Anyway, I do feel sorry for retail employees. They are going to catch hell for the 360.

"What, I have to pay an extra 100 dollars for a hdd?"

What till the complaints about backward compatibility come up. I'm sure MS will put it in small print you need the hdd for BC.

"Hey, I got this new Xbox, and I"m trying to play my old game. What gives? OH, WHAT? I have to pay another 100 bucks for a hdd so I can play my old Xbox games? What kind of crap is that?"

The 299 sku is worthless because it doesn't come with the hdd. The 399 sku is too expensive because the hdd will not get full use now.

What`s the big deal here? WTF?

The basic 299 pack will sell tons more than the 399 because most people don`t give a shit about wireless, Live, harddrive etc. Which MS found out with the Xbox.

I thank MS for not forcing me to pay for crap I don`t want.

And if some people with the basic pack suddenly want online etc, it`s not like they can`t get it later. Jeez.

How exactly would pricing the 399 package at 299 forcing you to buy things you don't want? You would still be paying 299 either way. MS doesn't want to be as aggressive next gen, that's all.

SolidSnakex said:

wow that thread is gold!!

PhatSaqs said:
Square cant be happy with this :lol

I bet they are happy with X360 though!

thundersabre said:
Sony just made the decision of what console I should get for me:

ps3607kp.jpg

VictimOfGrief said:
Wow.

1.) No Online stragety
2.) No HDD out of the box.

-1,000,000 sales for Sony. :(

Goreomedy said:
Loading....... Loading..... Loading.....

::Cue EA Trax Dipshit Band single "No Other Option"::

And here I was looking forward to games that would take full advantage of a default HDD in order to bring us time manipulation mechanics not achievable in code. Fuck YOU Sony!

Redbeard said:
Square will not be happy.

MS: "We've got a hard disc for you right here, baby"

thorns said:
holy shit the trolls are in full force :lol :lol

You know what's worse than the trolls? Fans who haven't criticized the company they're loyal to not one single time no matter how stupid the company's decisions are, and instead they're dictating to others what to say and what not, trying to damage control everything.

And for the record I have to say that Microsoft's decision is STUPID.

Izzy

Banned
sol5377 said:
Square's going to focus their MMORPG's on Xbox 360 and PC and their single player stuff on PS3. That's not to say there won't be crossover, but this move (no HDD in PS3) will make it clear to MMORPG makers which system is a bit more ready for those huge server games.

Redbeard said:
Square will not be happy.

MS: "We've got a hard disc for you right here, baby"

Comedy gold.

Axl

Is it known if A/V cables for the current xbox will work on the 360? The port looks the same to me in pictures, but I don't know if it had been stated either way?

Also, just a thought, but wouldn't the $299 version require the purchase of at least a memory card to save games? Or maybe there is some internal flash memory for that?

I don't know... Still want this at launch but I'm not very comfortable with either package given the information we have thus far.

bill0527

Tedesco! said:

Exactly.

I have a good job, but as I mentioned, I also have a wife who will make sure I have a very un-merry Christmas if I go out and spend $700 on myself right before the holidays.

$399.99 console + 3 games @ 59.99 each + extra controller (roughly $40) + extended warranty $30 + sales tax (Indiana 6%) = $688.96

I guess I could always buy the console for myself and then ask for games and accessories for Christmas :(

golem

Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•Wired controller
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership
•Standard AV cables

Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•20GB detachable hard drive
•Wireless controller
•Wireless Xbox Live headset
•High-definition AV cables
•Ethernet cable
•Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)
•Detachable faceplate

• Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)
• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)
• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)
• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)
• Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)
• Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)
• Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)
• SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)
• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/17/news_6131245.html

Xenon

Wow MS dropped the ball here. The price doesn't bother me as much as splitting the 360 market with the HDD. Way to make sure that the device is never taken advantage of MS. The only way they had a chance in the upcoming war was features and price, no way in hell are they going to beat Sony in software. MS killed two birds with one giant spinning rock =P I guess someone should tell MS that the with console market, unlike the OS they sell, people have a viable choice.

Glad I didn't pre-order. (still hoping it isn't true)

edit: 100 for a fn 20gig HD wtf!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Haha! I woke up just now at 9:30 thinking that maybe the news would've just come out, but now I'm treated to a 10 page thread.

Anyways, this is almost embarassing for MS. $300 for a fucking WIRED CONTROLLER? THAT'S IT? Wow..I really can't even respond to that. It is really unbelievable how much this shit is going to cost. PS3 has already won, I'm sorry. I don't care if it costs more, or the same. MS had a chance to sell some hardware by getting an early jump, but not if prices are this high.

Edit: Wait, the $300 package doesn't even come with the HD/AV cables? Holy shit. Less-educated people are gonna get home after spending $300, they're gonna sit down with their wired controller playing through crappy composite video, and they're gonna say, "What the FUCK did I just spend $300 on?"

Tedesco!

bill0527 said:
Exactly.

I have a good job, but as I mentioned, I also have a wife who will make sure I have a very un-merry Christmas if I go out and spend $700 on myself right before the holidays.

$399.99 console + 3 games @ 59.99 each + extra controller (roughly $40) + extended warranty $30 + sales tax (Indiana 6%) = $688.96

Thank you. That's my point exactly.

Izzy

Banned
Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•Wired controller
•Detachable faceplate
•Standard AV cables

Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•20GB detachable hard drive
•Wireless controller
•Wireless Xbox Live headset
•High-definition AV cables
•Ethernet cable
•Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)
•Detachable faceplate

&#8226; Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP) <=== :lol :lol

Rob

The 399.99 package needs to be the ONLY option. Like I said, the 399.99 price tag is completely justifiable (and still a hell of a deal in my opinion).

The mistake is in offering a bare bones package. If it is indeed true that you must have the hdd for backwards compatibility, that is reason alone to make sure you have a 100% userbase for that particular accesssory.

Yusaku

Hah, so is the 360 not going to let you just plop in a standard laptop sized HD in there?

Zaptruder

Banned
bill0527 said:
Exactly.

I guess I could always buy the console for myself and then ask for games and accessories for Christmas :(

You need to puncture your wife's spleen with your cock. Or she needs to do it to you. Such a wuss.

PhatSaqs

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
How did the games on the current Xbox take advantage of it?
Exactly.

Would have been great to see it standard but blame lazy devs for this more than anything.

Still sucks that its not standard tho.

"• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)
• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)"

I'm sorry, but what? Simply insane.

Fxp

Pretty hefty :lol

• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)
• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)
• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)
• Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)
• Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)
• Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)
• SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)
• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Damage Control and Trolling all in one nice package(thread).

No I have nothing more to add than that... except to say I am shocked and awed by this "official" news.

Square must be f'n thrilled.

Excelion

Banned
looking at the price of a memory card, a video cable and a wireless controller ... there is no point in this 299€ barebone console.

Top Bottom