• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Microsoft announces X360 pricing at lollapalooza 2005

teiresias

$20 for a damn faceplate!!!!!! :lol

And a definate :lol for the standalone HDD price.

• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)
• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)

OMG!!!!! :lol :lol Sony completely owned the Xbots in the wireless networking department!!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)

you gotta be fucking kidding me.

Tedesco!

beermonkey@tehbias said:
How did the games on the current Xbox take advantage of it?

At least you didn't have to drop $30 per memory card. Hell, I must have at least 4 of them for my playstation.

trmas

Banned
Well crap. If the base package had wireless controller and component cables I'd be there. Now, I'm going to wait.

It looks like I will only have one console for a while this next generation, and now I'm willing to wait and see what Sony has to offer. Right now, the PS3 is looking much better to me, personally. I guess I'll wait and see.

As for the money, it isn't about that. I have plenty of money - but I have a life too.

bloke

MU is 35€ which basically means basic unit is 335€ and still you can forget about 100% BC and MMORPGs, along with the fact that some game might not work as they should without HDD.
I think basic unit will only make sense for modders, once 360 gets hax0red one will need bigger HDD than 20Gb anyway.

Seth C

golem said:
Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•Wired controller
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership
•Standard AV cables

Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•20GB detachable hard drive
•Wireless controller
•Wireless Xbox Live headset
•High-definition AV cables
•Ethernet cable
•Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership

• Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)
• Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)
• Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)
• Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)
• SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)
• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/17/news_6131245.html

Okay, so here is the bottom line. If I want an Xbox 360 with a hard drive, wireless networking, and ONE re-chargable wireless gamepad I'm going to be out a minimum of $532 plus tax? Adding even one game tips the scale to over $600.

Bwahahahaha...fuck that.

Fxp said:
Pretty hefty :lol

that has got to be fake :lol :lol :lol

Zaptruder

Banned
Ooh. VGA HD cable.

I like the sound of that.

Well... it is a fuck me up the ass $40... but compared to the cost of VGA out devices floating around and its a pretty decent bargain.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
ChrisReid said:
Well.. even if the hard drive one was $299, in the current generation we'd need to pay $40 for a wireless controller, $30 for a headset and $30 for a remote. The $399 one sounds like a good deal.

That's exactly what they want you to think.

Well, I think I am cancelling my pre-order. Nice going MS!

Solid

those prices just makes me laugh. there is no way in hell i'd buy those at those prices - regardless of platform. no fucking way.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
krypt0nian said:
major nelson just posted the press release and this shit is true.

Done deal for me. I'm out.

So what was that Team Xbox stuff from earlier?

Seth C

EviLore said:
WHAT? $50 controllers, $100 twenty gig hdds, $20 faceplates?

Don't forget that you'll need to spend another $32 to make that wireless controller re-chargable, apparently.

teiresias

You gotta love how gamespot adds the "removable faceplate" as an included accessory in the barebones version of the console SKU, as if they're doing you a favor by giving you the default white one!

:lol

WHERE IS BARNIMAL?????!!!!!!!!!!! :lol :lol

Particularly after these peripheral pricing announcements I want to see his reaction.

sprsk

they dont even sell 20gb hd's anymore these pieces of shit arent even worth 10 bucks.

edit: barnimal wont be back.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
john tv said:
Ugh, just got the press release from MS. So lame...

yes

so lame

damn microsoft for shipping a fully featured package for a premium price and a barebones (with same contents as current gen consoles) for $299! DAMN THEM!

*rolleyes*

Zaptruder

Banned
sp0rsk said:
99 dollars for a 20 gig hard drive

or pay 20 dollars more and get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144235

GEE I DUNNO MICROSOFT WHICH SHOULD I CHOOSE

MAYBE I CAN BUY EXTRA KILOBYTES WITH MICROTRANSACTIONS

It's a fucking abominable price, but you linked to a 3.5" HD. A fairer comparison would've linked to a 2.5" HD which would've still shown the ridiculousness of the pricing but with extra cred points.

DopeyFish

sp0rsk said:
they dont even sell 20gb hd's anymore these pieces of shit arent even worth 10 bucks.

they aren't 3.5" hard drives

*scratches head*

The hard drives are from a new seagate line.

jarrod

Banned
I could handle the ass raping peripheral pricing if we got a decent standard hardware bundle (I was led to pretty much expect that honestly)... but they fucked us over both ways. I'm waiting for a price drop now... Ridge Racer or no Ridge Racer, I won't spend over $300 on a console.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Fxp said:
Pretty hefty :lol

what the fuck. any new gaffers joining the next-gen boycott with me?

NEXT GEN UNFUN FOR OUR WALLETS

SEEMS SO

and they think they can rape us more with microtransactions? oh wait, we gotta buy a $99 hard drive or a $399 Xbox to even do that. screw that noise

sonyers will have a field day today

sprsk

DopeyFish said:
they aren't 3.5" hard drives

*scratches head*

The hard drives are from a new seagate line.

its still worthless junk

I used to think you xbots were dumb, but man, you guys are really fucking dumb.

john tv

$50 for a wireless controller... what the hell are they thinking? How can you possibly justify pricing it higher than a WaveBird?

teiresias

DarienA said:
So what was that Team Xbox stuff from earlier?

The guy who originally posted it admitted to completely making it up to try and "make a point about believing news from unsubstantiated sources." Of course, that didn't go over too well this time around. :lol

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is one big balls-up, all Sony have to do now is play the hype game like they usually do and people will wait.

Microsoft are squandering their headstart, and splitting their userbase with the HD issue at the same time. Well done!

Zaptruder

Banned
DopeyFish said:
yes

so lame

damn microsoft for shipping a fully featured package and a barebones (with same contents as current gen consoles) for $299! DAMN THEM!

*rolleyes*

The minimum amount required for a functioning Xbox would be 340$, in line with a basic package and a memory card. Anything less is just a demo unit.

... Xbox + 64mb of storage for 340$ vs Xbox + 4gb of storage for 300$...

teiresias

sp0rsk said:
edit: barnimal wont be back.

banned, or just too chicken shit?

Also, that gamespot list doesn't mention a memory card in the $299 console SKU. Can anyone with the official press release check and see if it says anything about it. I thought the memory card was still required even for just Xbox Live Silver?

john tv said:
$50 for a wireless controller... what the hell are they thinking? How can you possibly justify pricing it higher than a WaveBird?

They want to make profit this time around, that explains the high prices for the peripheral

teiresias said:
banned, or just too chicken shit?

he was trolling in sony threads and just being an idiot.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I understand now - we all got this thing wrong.

360 isn't the new Dreamcast, it's the new Saturn :lol

(just kidding :p athough not completely - 100$ for a wireles adapter are they insane?).

m0dus

Banned
pilonv1 said:
IIRC it's a laptop HD, NOT a standard PC drive.

Average price for a 20gig 5400 RPM 2.5'' laptop HD (samsung, for example) around $65-$70. Any idea how fast the 360's HD will be? (7200 RPM? which in case would explain the extra $30 in the price?)

EDIT: linkified.

crumbs

john tv said:

You can use the headset through the x360 controller, I don't think any current xbox wireless controllers can do that.

Lo-Volt

Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)
Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)
Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)

I'm not the first person to note this, but what the hell is this? Does inflation count as a reason for Microsoft to gouge me, all because I use an 802.11g device?

The two SKU deal was worrisome enough, but not a dealbreaker for me. I could bleed games for the stuff they packed in if the X360 performed well enough this holiday season, what with a hard drive for custom soundtracks and whatever else J Allard has in mind, the headset and a wireless controller for my wire-infested room. But no. We don't even know how much the games cost yet, and already I'm sticker-shocked. Meanwhile, the headset is a steal at $20 a pop when the memory solutions are highway robbery? Excuse me?

This is the Microsoft I used to remember. I have been owned.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
They want to make profit this time around, that explains the high prices for the peripheral

They need to focus on making profits from licensing, not on the hardware. Wrong move IMO.

Looks like the PS3 just got a lot tastier.

KINGMOKU

50$ for a wireless controller? WTF? You have got to be joking.

I just can't believe Microsoft is this stupid. This all has to be some sick joke. It HAS TO BE.

DopeyFish

sp0rsk said:
its still worthless junk

I used to think you xbots were dumb, but man, you guys are really fucking dumb.

useless? Standard AV? Controller? System? You're blowing things way out of proportion. There's a REASON why it's called basic.

For me? I have to go the premium route. I have a media center PC so i need the remote. I have an HDTV so i need the component cables. I love the hard drive. I hate wireless controllers but i can make the tradeoff.

Don't you dare call me fucking dumb either, I'm not the pussy over-reacting to a barebones pricepoint which is the same as the last 2 console generation launches.

trmas

Banned
Sony is going to rape MS now.

$100 for wireless? - included in the PS3
$100 for a 20GB harddrive? - just wow
$50 for wireless controllers? And $20+ more for a recharge pack?

Damn, even at $500 bucks the PS3 will STILL be a better deal. Only one console for me, and its looking more and more like it will be a PS3...

I can get a cheap Dell PC for as much as the 360 is going to cost... unbelieveable.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Nash said:
This is one big balls-up, all Sony have to do now is play the hype game like they usually do and people will wait.

Microsoft are squandering their headstart, and splitting their userbase with the HD issue at the same time. Well done!

Also MS will have broken the 299 limit first. So MS will catch all the heat for coming in at 399.99, and Sony will be able to match them at 399.99 without catching any flak - PS3 at 399.99 will now seem like a bargain price since it will be more powerful, have BRD playback and PS2 and PS1 compatibility right out of the box.

MS has just fucked themselves good.

Top Bottom