• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Microsoft announces X360 pricing at lollapalooza 2005

Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP) :lol
• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP) :lol :lol
• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)
• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP) :lol :lol :lol
• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)
• Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)
• Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)
• Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)
• SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)
• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

MS wants everyone to go for the $399 bundle.

But Whoa.... this shits serioulsy fucked.

Not to mention $60 games atop of all this.

Borys

Banned
Abso-fucking-lutely insane.

IN
SANE

$100 for 20 GB?

The fucking worst part is that Sony will do the same exact bullshit with the pricing cause their analysts will tell'em to.

FUCK YOU analysts and marketing people.

Pimpwerx

john tv said:
$50 for a wireless controller... what the hell are they thinking? How can you possibly justify pricing it higher than a WaveBird?
EXACTLY! Is that GS list real? I mean...seriously. $200 for an HDD + wireless adapter? Are you fucking kidding me? Even if that's MSRP, the street price isn't exactly gonna be affordable. That list HAS to be wrong. If it's right then...wow....just WOW! The gaming industry is about to price itself into a crash...I hope. Because Sony is gonna gouge even more than this. Maybe the Revolution's revolution is its price. Something's gotta give. :? PEACE.

GhaleonEB

Seth C said:
Okay, so here is the bottom line. If I want an Xbox 360 with a hard drive, wireless networking, and ONE re-chargable wireless gamepad I'm going to be out a minimum of $532 plus tax? Adding even one game tips the scale to over $600.

Bwahahahaha...fuck that.

1) I'm fucking owned.
2) I will NOT own an XBox 360. Period.

I didn't pre-order one, but I thought I could wait in line somewhere. Fuck this. MS just handed the gen to Sony.

Fuck you, Microsoft!

*Removes XBot hat*

Fxp

Early adopters fucked!

176938481l5na.gif

Izzy

Banned
sol5377 said:
Xbox 360 Edge -- Online, built-in HD, controller, available earlier
PS3 Edge -- More powerful, stronger brand, Blue-ray support

Looks like both sides are going to have their strengths. Ultimately, it'll come down to which system has the best games. It's about the games...ALWAYS.

super-heated plasma said:
Tell me about it. MS gives you a Hard drive , AND allows you to plug in your MP3 players, and access your PC. But people have the gall to say they don't want a hard drive to come standard, and prefer to be forced into another storage medium?

Give me a break. That is some seriously retarded damage control. I await the PS3 as much as anyone, but I'm not gonna pretend that no HD is for the benefit of gamerds everywhere. come on....

Chittagong said:
Wow, after a stunning E3 showing that completely murdered Xbox 360, this interview really stinks.

It seems as if Kutaragi would be bitter of his demotion and purposefully try to trainwreck the whole Playstation initiative.

PLAYSTATION in capitals? Dildo controllers? Lack of online evidence? No HDD? Focus on Computer instead of gaming?

Actually - I think I got it! Kutaragi must be participating the same reality TV show where rich guys try to create the biggest consumer product comedy without being caught. Team Gizmondo had a good lead, but Team Kutaragi is catching up.

Link

:lol :lol

m0dus

Banned
Wario64 said:
what the fuck. any new gaffers joining the next-gen boycott with me?

NEXT GEN UNFUN FOR OUR WALLETS

SEEMS SO

and they think they can rape us more with microtransactions? oh wait, we gotta buy a $99 hard drive or a $399 Xbox to even do that. screw that noise

sonyers will have a field day today

"Stand back. I think the Dipshit is gonna rip on the Dumbass." :)

Solid

well the meida we've seen for the 360 doesnt help either imo. next gen seem to come a little too fast, and with prices like this i sure as hell cant see myself giving in for those little updates.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
olimario said:
Anyone else think the jacked up prices are a result of ZERO competition at launch?

Dollar was higher last launch. That and the 360 costs more (at launch) than the xbox did to produce.

Solid

Pimpwerx said:
The gaming industry is about to price itself into a crash...I hope. Because Sony is gonna gouge even more than this. Maybe the Revolution's revolution is its price. Something's gotta give. :? PEACE.
and people want microsoft to be the console leader! yay!

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I guess I better keep my WoW account to keep me busy till the PS3 gets launched.

Or I just wait till I see a major price drop in the Xbox 360.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Excelion said:
looking at the price of a memory card, a video cable and a wireless controller ... there is no point in this 299€ barebone console.

don't worry, I doubt you'd be able to find one on launch day anyway. I'm sure MS will push the 'value' pack.

Zaptruder

Banned
Redbeard said:
Does anyone know if current wireless adapters will work or will we be forced to buy the new one for $100?

if it plugs in to the ethernet port and basically retransmits the signals wirelessly, it should still work regardless of what its plugged into.

USB OTOH...

EXACTLY. 50 bucks for a controller?

This fall will be a bust, average gamers will NEVER pay these prices and even the hardcore on GAF's are looking to hold back. I will definitely PASS on the 360 til they have some MUST HAVE EXCLUSIVES.

They better be all about the games cuz this hardware sucks my left nuts.

Also, don't they do market research now? It's 2005 people. Who the hell did they survey....

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Something else just occured to me:

Since the peripherals are so expensive, the 400 dollar package will be the way to go. So what's going to happen to retailers who get stuck with too much 300 dollar core system stock? Most early adopters are definately going to want the 400 dollar package.

AirBrian

:lol :lol

MS can take their $400 console and microtransactions and shove them up their fat asses. No 360 for me.*

*Until price drop.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
DopeyFish said:
yes

so lame

damn microsoft for shipping a fully featured package for a premium price and a barebones (with same contents as current gen consoles) for $299! DAMN THEM!

*rolleyes*

This is poor damage control I expect much better from you.

DopeyFish said:
useless? Standard AV? Controller? System? You're blowing things way out of proportion. There's a REASON why it's called basic.

For me? I have to go the premium route. I have a media center PC so i need the remote. I have an HDTV so i need the component cables. I love the hard drive. I hate wireless controllers but i can make the tradeoff.

Don't you dare call me fucking dumb either, I'm not the pussy over-reacting to a barebones pricepoint which is the same as the last 2 console generation launches.

But it's not the same as the Xbox launch feature set because it doesn't have a hard drive.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Redbeard said:
Does anyone know if current wireless adapters will work or will we be forced to buy the new one for $100?
Pretty sure theres an ethernet port so any adapter that works now should work fine. You're gpnna pay close to that for one that works and works well anyway.

Well, I'm getting an Xbox 360 at launch, but I highly doubt that I'll be able to get the version with the HDD. That's the one I want, but money is going to be quite tight with college being paid for and whatnot.

It is[/] bullshit that the "Core Package" doesn't have any kind of HDD whatsoever. So those of us who get the "Core Package" have to use Memory Cards? How big are they?

Sorry I haven't read a single post in this thread so this information is most likely already posted, but I'd like to know.

Fatghost28 said:
Something else just occured to me:

Since the peripherals are so expensive, the 400 dollar package will be the way to go. So what's going to happen to retailers who get stuck with too much 300 dollar core system stock? Most early adopters are definately going to want the 400 dollar package.
shit, after seeing those peripheral prices, only a total fucking idiot would buy the $300 package...

it's $400 or wait for pricedrop...

and why the fuck is the WIRED CONTROLLER $40?

pilonv1

Fatghost28 said:

No shit. Hence the price of the seperate accessories, the early adopters will pay regardless.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
Well, I'm getting an Xbox 360 at launch, but I highly doubt that I'll be able to get the version with the HDD. That's the one I want, but money is going to be quite tight with college being paid for and whatnot.

Which MS loves I am sure, because then later on down the road you have to spring 100 bucks for just the god damn HD.

I really wanted to see MS toe to toe with Sony, but now I hope they get their asses handed to them for being deceptive with their specs since day one.

PhatSaqs

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
shit, after seeing those peripheral prices, only a total fucking idiot would buy the $300 package...

it's $400 or wait for pricedrop...

and why the fuck is the WIRED CONTROLLER $40?
Agreed.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I'll be getting the X360 premium system... when MS announces a price drop to compete with the then announced PS3 launch price.

Scoobert

You guys are forgetting something else. Stores will most likely force bundles more than ever. I think I'll wait and see how everything goes for the PS3 before I decide which system to get first though.

jimbo

Banned
So the basic console is 299 and comes with the same stuff every other console came before it and people are calling it a rip-off? Yeah it would be nice to get all that stuff for $299 but this just tells you how good of a deal an Xbox was. It's not like the PS3 or GC will come with a hard drive and wireless controllers Xbox live for $299. ....Wake up people. It's a standard console at a standard price. Just like every other system that came before it.

DopeyFish said:
damn microsoft for shipping a fully featured package for a premium price and a barebones (with same contents as current gen consoles) for $299! DAMN THEM!

*rolleyes*

No, damn them for talking about these accessories as if most of them were guaranteed inclusions, and then revealing that the price they hinted at is for the most low-tech package they can manage. A _wired_ controller? I thought those were supposed to be available as an option, but not the "You bought the cheaper package, so we're forcing this on you" requirement. They've been talking and bragging about their wireless controller WAY too long to pull this now.

And many of those accessories have ridiculous prices. $20 for friggin' faceplates? OK, the ones that use the USB port to light up or whatever, I can see those being more expensive. But you can't tell me good old "CONSOLE" is going to cost them a lot to make.

I know they're still losing money on the consoles, probably (they'll quickly get over that, they've been much more careful this time), but the prices are too greedy. $400 for the "proper" package, plus a $100 wireless adaptor (for what I'll need), plus Xbox Live Gold, plus any sort of games I want at $50-$60, plus $50 more if I dare to want to play two player? I can't do that. That's stupid. I was going to try to eek it out if the console was $300, but if I'm not going to get the "proper" package unless I drop another $100... no. I really just can't swing it within reason. They are going to lose a ton of sales because they're going to try to nickle-and-dime consumers to death.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
pilonv1 said:
No shit. Hence the price of the seperate accessories, the early adopters will pay regardless.

No the real problem will be all the retailers stuck with 299.99 consoles that no one wants. Demand at launch will be just for the 400 dollar package, the 300 dollar one is the shittier deal.

So stores will have X360s on the shelves that won't move or at least won't move as quickly. The biggest lesson anyone can learn from the Saturn's launch is that you don't fuck with the retailers, particularly the smaller retailers more likely to be hurt from excess/unmoveable inventory.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Average Xbox gamer after purchasing a $299 360:

"Hey, why can't I save my games? Dude, the old Xbox didn't need like a memory card or some dumb shit like that."

"Hey, I wanted to put some Creed CDs on my Xbox and listen to them while playing games. Why can't I do that?"

"Hey, why can't I go on LIVE? It says I need a profile or something."

"Hey, why can't I play on weekends? IT SAID FREE XBOX WEEKENDS."

"Hey, why can't I play my old Xbox games? When PS2 came out I could do that. I put them in and nothing happens."

golem

seriously... the console skus dont bother me that much, and i'll be getting the value pack (haha).. but the peripheral pricing is simply insane.. microsoft is giving gamers the big F U

*prays Sony doesnt take a page from MS's book*

Yusaku

Who else is going to join my GAF non-Early Adopters Club? I don't think there will be a compelling reason to buy either 360 or PS3 until xmas 06. PS2 wasn't even worth looking at until stuff like DMC, ICO, MGS2, and FFX started rolling out.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Fatghost28 said:
No the real problem will be all the retailers stuck with 299.99 consoles that no one wants. Demand at launch will be just for the 400 dollar package, the 300 dollar one is the shittier deal.

So stores will have X360s on the shelves that won't move or at least won't move as quickly. The biggest lesson anyone can learn from the Saturn's launch is that you don't fuck with the retailers, particularly the smaller retailers more likely to be hurt from excess/unmoveable inventory.

who said the demand will be for the premium? You really sure all people have a desire to use wireless controllers? Have HDTVs? .... that even understand what a hard drive is?

Yes, some people might find the premium package a good and wonderful thing, but that's just for the high end people. the $299 version will have the most demand. Guaranteed.

PS3 at 399.99 will now seem like a bargain price since it will be more powerful, have BRD playback and PS2 and PS1 compatibility right out of the box.

At that point the most comparable (no-HDD) Xbox will probably be $125 less or have a pack in at $100 less. Your average gamer doesn't even know what a Bloo-Ray is, let alone have an HDTV to use it.

man, i hope all the wireless lovers are ready for the ownage...

Wireless Controller = $49.99
2x Play and Charge Kit = $39.98
2x Rechargeable Battery Pack = $23.98

playing two player wireless? APPARENTLY NOT PRICELESS

Top Bottom