• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Microsoft announces X360 pricing at lollapalooza 2005

newsguy

I woke up early for this shit. FUCK! Fucking idiots. Isn't anyone shocked that those rincky dink component cables are $40!!!! :lol You can buy badass cables for less and MS gives you these thin shits. VGA $40? Jesus MS, even the loyal are stepping back. Unreal.... I may go back to sleep cause this has to be a nightmare.

teiresias

Dr_Cogent said:
I think this thread needs a whole lot more FU in it.

FU MS. You lying fucks.

Actually, think about the poor retailers, who, according to jvd at B3D had actually been told the system would be $299 with a HDD:

seismologist said:
jvd, I thought your store already got materials showing the $299 price with HDD?
we did . My boss is running around like a chicken with no head and there is a huge confrence call going on with how to deal with the preorder situation

OMG, that's insanity!!! What was MS thinking??!!

299$/€ pack
xbox360pack29if.jpg

399$/€ pack
xbox360pack15mk.jpg

[West Coaster just waking up]

I'm not going to gloat but, well yeah. I'm going to gloat. I (along with Juice and a couple others) told you fuckers the math doesn't add up.

This news just makes my coffee taste a bit better.

Prine

Banned
i think i'll gp pre-order the $400 package, before it sells out.

$100 for 20 GB HDD is crazy, MS arnt the market leaders, they cant be raping the customers like this.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
the wireless adapter is for wireless ethernet. Controllers use RF for wireless and the RFunit is built inside every xbox360.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
teiresias said:
Actually, think about the poor retailers, who, according to jvd at B3D had actually been told the system would be $299 with a HDD:

I don't care about retailers or MS. Just me :)

Fuck MS and fuck the retailers. MS am stupid.

ejdonk

The best part is the definitely the harddrive.. I mean c'mon, I can get a Samsung SpinPoint P120 250GB SATA II for the exact same price..

Yusaku

Really if you think about it, it was kind of stupid for anyone to think either system would come with the hard drive standard. 2.5" (laptop) 20GB HD goes for about $67 on Newegg. A standard 3.5" drive at the same size would cost half that. That cool little form factor is to blame.

Borys

Banned
vatstep said:
Average Xbox gamer after purchasing a $299 360:

"Hey, why can't I save my games? Dude, the old Xbox didn't need like a memory card or some dumb shit like that."

"Hey, I wanted to put some Creed CDs on my Xbox and listen to them while playing games. Why can't I do that?"

"Hey, why can't I go on LIVE? It says I need a profile or something."

"Hey, why can't I play on weekends? IT SAID FREE XBOX WEEKENDS."

"Hey, why can't I play my old Xbox games? When PS2 came out I could do that. I put them in and nothing happens."

QFT

This is going to be one retail/ customer hell.

I'm still in denial. :(

Jesus fucking Christ... More like -1 Console Future. AMIRITE?

This week in gaming needs to end itself, now.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The Faceless Master said:
2x Play and Charge Kit = $39.98
2x Rechargeable Battery Pack = $23.98
I can't believe that these two things don't come with one another, considering that they're pretty much useless without the other. The "Play and Charge Kit" charges the AA batteries, BUT THEY HAVE TO BE RECHARGABLE. Most people aren't gonna be supplying their own rechargable batteries. And there's no point in a "Rechargable Battery Pack" if you don't have a DEVICE TO CHARGE IT.

But really, compared to everything else, that's the least of my complaints..

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Angst said:
Now we know the really story behind
02073ea7.gif

Gaffers broke Allard's arm!

more like he failed suiciding after finding out how much they're charging for a x360

they sure mind as well sell the power supply seperately for $50

PhatSaqs

Banned
ejdonk said:
The best part is the definitely the harddrive.. I mean c'mon, I can get a Samsung SpinPoint P120 250GB SATA II for the exact same price..
Can you get a Seagate LD25 for that price?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Here's what is colossally stupid about this. The original Xbox came with a HD standard, now it's optional. That's a fucking downgrade.

And Douche, no one cares what you think or whether you gloat.

pilonv1

ejdonk said:

:lol @ people still thinking it's a 3.5" drive. Learn how to read.

Not that $100 is a fair price for a 2.5" drive.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
and why the fuck is the WIRED CONTROLLER $40?

so you pay $10 more for a wireless one. A lot of this is simple demand control.

In the UK, if you buy the base unit + HDD separately, thats the same price as the premium kit so you get the wireless controller + remote + component free. It really is an expensive no-brainer for anyone who wants even *one* additional accessory.

scarybore

The Xbox 360 fully-loaded system -- priced at $399.99 in the United States, ?399.99 in Europe and £279.99 in the U.K. -- will come complete with the console, a wireless controller, a 20GB detachable hard drive, a faceplate, headset, component HD audio-visual cables, an Ethernet cable, Xbox Live Silver membership and, for a limited time, an Xbox 360 media remote.

Well im quite happy. Im from Europe (UK specifically) and we have been treated much worse for console launches before this and £279 honestly aint to bad considering I paid £300 for PS2 and Xbox though it does look bad to Nintendos wonder price of £129 for the Gamecube.

I do however think its time I got my friends to start buying their own controllers, unlike every previous generation where ive bough 4 controllers myself per console just for immediate play.

Gattsu25

Banned
shit, after seeing those peripheral prices, only a total fucking idiot would buy the $300 package...

it's $400 or wait for pricedrop...

and why the fuck is the WIRED CONTROLLER $40?
Ugh...this sums up my view on this...I'm not too sure what I'll be doing ..value pack now looks like a huge rip-off with these prices =\

current stance: wait and see

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
man, i hope all the wireless lovers are ready for the ownage...

Wireless Controller = $49.99
2x Play and Charge Kit = $39.98
2x Rechargeable Battery Pack = $23.98

playing two player wireless? APPARENTLY NOT PRICELESS

wireless controller uses regular batteries (AA?). Assuming you don't play obsessively to warrant a charge kit, why not get rechargable batteries from the store and a charger?

When asked what the thinking was behind letting gamers plug a competitor's product in to use on a Microsoft device, Mr. Henshaw replied, "Other console makers want to force you to buy brand "S" memory and use a brand "S" format to play on brand "S" TV's. We just want things to work for the gamer and be as easy as possible."

Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)

so they were saying what about memory stick pro duos?

Yusaku

The individual prices of the accessories is the worst part of this. This is really a chickenshit way for MS to sell the Xbox for $400. Anyone who pays $300 now will end up spending like $200 down the road if they decide to get an HD, wireless controller, etc.

teiresias

Dr_Cogent said:
And Douche, no one cares what you think or whether you gloat.

In all fairness, people seemed to care about talking shit to anyone that thought a $299 Xbox without a HDD was even a possibility just a week or two ago.

dose

Let me remind you what Steve 'developers' Ballmer said....

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000597043723/

Steve Ballmer said:
Are there going to be multiple configurations for the box? Will there be version with a built in TV Tuner and an expanded hard drive?

[laughing] We love the one configuration we’ve announced and we’re creative guys and I think you’re creative guys and so the notion that there might some day be other configuration is eminently possible. It’s a little bit like the discussion about HD DVD type storage. Will we have it? Sure. It’s not like by the next generation there won’t be a way to get massive storage on an Xbox. You’ll get it. And there will be other configurations that come to market. When and how and exactly which ones… when there’s news I’m sure we’ll be happy to trumpet those. Right now we love our one configuration that we got in market for this Holiday.

So just one configuration is targeted for the Holiday release?

Yeah, given that we know we’re going to have to hustle to produce all that people are going to want, that kind of keeps life a lot simpler for the retailers. If you said, “Look we’re coming to market with three configurations, and we were in short supply, and we got the wrong mix of configurations,” it would just compound all the problems. We’re really quite excited about the proposition for having just the one configuration in market particularly for this holiday.

DopeyFish said:
wireless controller uses regular batteries (AA?). Assuming you don't play obsessively to warrant a charge kit, why not get rechargable batteries from the store and a charger?
oh no, i've already established that i would get wired controllers, i was pointing out to the freaks who said wireless rocked how they were getting reamed (not that a $40 wired controller isnt a good reaming too)

Dr_Cogent

Banned
teiresias said:
In all fairness, people seemed to care about talking shit to anyone that thought a $299 Xbox without a HDD was even a possibility just a week or two ago.

I disagreed with it, but I didn't talk shit. Who talked shit?

VNZ

Inherent support for (first party) wired controllers is a very good thing, IMO. I don't care much for wireless, it creates more problems than it solves.

Otherwise, I pretty much have to concur with the rest of this thread. Now let's see if the urge for new Ridge Racer action will overcome the questionable joy of being ripped off at launch.

PhatSaqs

Banned
DopeyFish said:
Because that makes too much sense....

Hell we covered this shit when the console was announced Faceless :lol

Ruzbeh

Banned
Angst said:
Now we know the really story behind
02073ea7.gif

Gaffers broke Allard's arm!
I wonder how the replies in the 'Allard broke his arm and ribs' thread would have been like if that happened after this Xbox 360 pricing announcement...

Not very pretty. :lol

I can't say I'm surprised at this pricing... Xbox 360 is just expensive. They can only afford selling it 300 dollars by making cables and controllers and other stuff ridiculously expensive.

Fongul

I'll buy one thing at launch and one thing only, a wired XBot 360 controller so I can use it with my PC via USB. X360 launch = Saturn launch?? At least Sega had Panzer and VF close to launch, Microsoft....Xbot ports and Rare crap...count me out

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
DopeyFish said:
Yes, some people might find the premium package a good and wonderful thing, but that's just for the high end people. the $299 version will have the most demand. Guaranteed.
I agree, but I'm wondering what the numbers are gonna be. 50/50 split of standard package and premium packages available? 75/25? Because there are a lot of people who already pre-ordered who will likely get fucked by this, and there could be a lot of people who WANT one over the other getting fucked by this.

I'm willing to bet it'll be 60/40 or so, with more premium packages available. A lot of casuals, once they can't find the standard package, will just man up and spend the $100.

teiresias

Dr_Cogent said:
I disagreed with it, but I didn't talk shit. Who talked shit?

I'm not calling you out in particular, but plenty of people did, so when those who were ridiculed are vindicated one has to expect a little bit of gloating - at least one post worth.

Er... I'll just settle for the $299 and get a component video cable.

Don't forget a $40 memory card to save games. You'll give up a hard drive, wireless controller, headset, and remote to save a grand total of $20?

Frankly, everybody needs a way to save games, so comparing the bundles should really start at $340 versus $400.

Regarding the HDD pricing, don't forget it includes that magical Nvidia royalty. :D

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Jesus fucking shit, the split SKUs were bad enough (mostly because of the hard drive), but those accessory prices? THE BIG FU.

I wasn't so hot on the 360 to begin with. This only guarantees that I'll not be getting one for years to come.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
jet1911 said:
The 299$ pack don't even have a "metalic" cd tray. :lol

that core system has an ethernet cable?

And the shot of the 'expensive' version av cables looks like you get component + composite. No digital audio out though - any sign of that in the accessories?

jimbo said:
So the basic console is 299 and comes with the same stuff every other console came before it and people are calling it a rip-off? Yeah it would be nice to get all that stuff for $299 but this just tells you how good of a deal an Xbox was. It's not like the PS3 or GC will come with a hard drive and wireless controllers Xbox live for $299. ....Wake up people. It's a standard console at a standard price. Just like every other system that came before it.
ever hear of this standard console called the Xbox? $299, came with HD

Top Bottom