• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Microsoft announces X360 pricing at lollapalooza 2005

Prine

Banned
Seriously, UK price point for the superior model isnt that bad. Quite reasonable tbh. We've been screwed for so long, weve basically become immune to high price points.

I was expecting £300 + for 360, £280 is affordable here (for a new console)

teiresias

Actually, I just realized, the price MS is charging for the memory cards suddenly makes Sony using standard Memory Sticks for saving games on PS3 not so "expensive" sounding anymore!

Scotch

I think you're all a little overreacting. But hey, I'm European so I guess I'm used to getting screwed.

But with the PS2 being around €500 and the Xbox €480 at launch, this is actually a pretty decent price.

Angst

If I would ever release a console I'd do it at $50 and heftily overprice the accessories.... oh, wait MS overpriced the console and the accessories...

GhaleonEB

My biggest concern is that the HDD is optional. This means very, very low 3rd party support. Fuck you MS. I think all my posts for a while need to end with that.

Prine

Banned
Scotch said:
I think you're all a little overreacting. But hey, I'm European so I guess I'm used to getting screwed.

But with the PS2 being around €500 and the Xbox €480 at launch, this is actually a pretty decent price.

exactly, £280 for 360 SUPER bundle is reasonable. We sell 60GB ipods for £280

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
mrklaw said:
And the shot of the 'expensive' version av cables looks like you get component + composite. No digital audio out though - any sign of that in the accessories?
I'm pretty sure that the optical out is on the base of the cord. Notice that the actual cord part comes out on the side of the plug, leaving room for a standard optical input.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
teiresias said:
Actually, I just realized, the price MS is charging for the memory cards suddenly makes Sony using standard Memory Sticks for saving games on PS3 not so "expensive" sounding anymore!

Memory Unit (64 MB) $39.99

From CompUSA: 128MB Memory Stick Pro: $37.99.... ouch.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
22808544585.gif

"Come to uncle Ken, you poor misguided souls"

lol uncle ken must be laughing. :D :lol

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Don't forget a $40 memory card to save games. You'll give up a hard drive, wireless controller, headset, and remote to save a grand total of $20?

Regarding the HDD pricing, don't forget it includes that magical Nvidia royalty. :D

You know, I actually posted what I said before realizing the "core" version doesn't have a hard drive. Fuck.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I'll go with the one, maybe two people who actually think this is cheap! :lol

It's all perception, but those UK prices seem very reasonable. Some of the accessories are a bit steep admittedly, but I would NOT have expected to only be paying £279.99 for that premium package!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Can't believe I missed this thread...

I was exactly right with my predictions, but that doesn't mean I'm happy about it... :\

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
:lol

thanks but no thanks MS. Nice job losing potential customers though.

Ironically, I would be more interested in buying if they were releasing just 1 sku at the $400 price point.

Prine

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
I'll go with the one, maybe two people who actually think this is cheap! :lol

It's all perception, but those UK prices seem very reasonable. Some of the accessories are a bit steep admittedly, but I would NOT have expected to only be paying £279.99 for that premium package!

*high fives Mama Smurf*

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
GhaleonEB said:
My biggest concern is that the HDD is optional. This means very, very low 3rd party support. Fuck you MS. I think all my posts for a while need to end with that.

oh my GOD

Not many xbox games supported the hard drive as a feature in the first place.

almost all the ones that did support the hard drive were sloppy. So in essence the hard drive was a big memory card. That's what it is on the 360.. If game coders want to, if the hard drive is present they can code for it to alleviate loading times.

Oh and did you happen to see how much more 3rd party support xbox 360 has as opposed to xbox?

kthx.

jarrod

Banned
Yusaku said:
They should've just launched with wireless controller + HD for $299 as the only configuration.
Fixed. They then should've sold the 40GB HD as an upgrade @ $99 and the wireless controllers only for $39. And the wifi card should be like $59 max.

Oh and Game Boy Micro should be $79. Today sucks for pricing. :(

Well ain't this a kick in the junk. I don't know how anyone can feel anything but mislead by all the early info from MS.

"HD ERA is coming!"

*no HD cables in standard 360 'core' system

"Freedom from wires! Wireless controllers!"

*Wired controller in standard 360 'core' system

"Xbox Live Silver - Free live on weekends!"

*not included in standard 360 'core' system

"20 Gb hard drive!"

"Bacwards Compatability!...
...somewhat!"

I think I'll pass. Can I get a refund for a pre-order at Gamestop?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
up at xbox.com now Link to UK pages

says you get the component cable in the standard pack too - with SCART adapter (for the composite bit)

So if I was happy(?) with a wired controller and a cheap memory card....I could save a few quid.

DarienA

DopeyFish said:
oh my GOD

almost all the ones that did support the hard drive were sloppy. So in essence the hard drive was a big memory card. That's what it is on the 360.. If game coders want to, if the hard drive is present they can code for it to alleviate loading times.

Oh and did you happen to see how much more 3rd party support xbox 360 has as opposed to xbox?

kthx.

How are they handling custom soundtracks Dopey? I'm assuming on the Core unit custom soundtracks are just an unavailable option.... then as soon as you buy a hard drive and slap it in, it becomes available?

And can the core system access XBL?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DopeyFish said:
oh my GOD

kthx.
I hope you realize that a LOT of XBOX games use and will require the HDD, right? It seems like the HDD will become a key for unlocking backwards compatibility. At the very least, most of the BIG XBOX titles put the HDD to extensive use. Halo and Halo 2, for instance, will not be able to operate without an HDD (unless the memcard can emulate it or something).

How are they handling custom soundtracks Dopey?
You can use external devices for soundtracks.

Lo-Volt said:
At least the core system has no gaudy chrome. :lol

You're right, I didn't notice that at first. So even the physical system is different? (I assume changing faceplates doesn't change the disc tray cover, but maybe I'm wrong.)

DopeyFish

DarienA said:
How are they handling custom soundtracks Dopey? I'm assuming on the Core unit custom soundtracks are just an unavailable option.... then as soon as you buy a hard drive and slap it in, it becomes available?

you can stream through the network from your computer and possibly maybe rip music onto your memory cards. (though i'm not 100% sure)

edit: ^ oh yes! and you can even plug in your mp3 players and stream from them too

pilonv1

DopeyFish said:
you can stream through the network from your computer and possibly maybe rip music onto your memory cards. (though i'm not 100% sure)

Wasn't there also an option to stream from portable media devices? Wasn't that the point of having PSP on the slide at E3?

PhatSaqs

Banned
rusty said:
Well ain't this a kick in the junk. I don't know how anyone can feel anything but mislead by all the early info from MS.

"HD ERA is coming!"

"20 Gb hard drive!"

...somewhat!"

Again, looking at the (overpriced) peripheral prices, why would you want the standard core system to begin with? You need at least a mem card. Add a headset for Live and you're at $360.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
DarienA said:

And can the core system access XBL?

I would think you can stream music from a PC still at least.

GhaleonEB

rusty said:

"HD ERA is coming!"

"20 Gb hard drive!"

...somewhat!"

You also forgot - no HD optical drive - at all.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
rusty said:

"HD ERA is coming!"

"20 Gb hard drive!"

...somewhat!"

:lol

count me in.

Wait till PS3 is the new wait till Spaceworld.

Michael Pachter, of Wedbush Morgan Securities, wasn't as cheerful. He sees the $299 model as a "publicity stunt." "They're doing it to say they are launching at $299. The hardcore guys will absolutely not buy the $299 model...Only a complete idiot would buy the $299 model."
:lol :lol :lol

wow, it looks like the analysts are on a roll!

DarienA

DopeyFish said:

edit: ^ oh yes! and you can even plug in your mp3 players and stream from them too

Ok... and accessing XBL?

DopeyFish

GhaleonEB said:

Microsoft isn't getting caught in the middle of a format war just in case they end up on the losing side. Xbox 360 versions will most likely carry THE HD format later on as another package or something.

seanoff

MSs problem here is that all the stuff they blurbed in the marketing is OPTIONAL and u bend over for the privelege or it isn't possible(HD).

HD Era - not with fucking composite cables it isn't

HD Era - not for movies off a DVD drive

Wireless Networking - bend over boys and girls

Wireless Controllers - u pay thru the nose for the contoller, batteries and charger WEEEEE

HDD - if its optional, make it really plain its optional

Under promise and over deliver, don't fuck people around. It pisses them off.

Bad MS, really bad. I think they've been living as a monopoly for too long. NFI how it works with competition.

dbish

By now this is probably redundant, but it is a favor for a friend -

Juice says that he is elated for having been right all along and would have said so himself but is currently banned.

pestul

I'm now expecting an equally shocking response when the PS3s price is announced.. I think we might just skip this generation. That'll teach'em.. :p

GhaleonEB said:
No, they never claimed they'd have one at launch. All the stuff I listed was believed to be inlcuded in the base version, with the exception of the HDD lately (and even that was thought to be included after E3).

Not one person here can claim that they thought the controllers in the base version would be wired after all the fuss MS made about the wireless controllers.

Lo-Volt

pestul said:
I'm now expecting an equally shocking response when the PS3s price is announced.. I think we might just skip this generation. That'll teach'em.. :p

I might, honestly. Maybe Nintendo can pull a trick.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
pestul said:

itl prolly be the same shock we saw when the psp price was announced :lol:

FiRez

The avatar of phatshaqs seems appropiated for this time:

tenjou07.gif

(it only needs an x360 instead of blood)

man I'm so pissed right now.

Top Bottom