• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Summer Sales 2013 - Pick up the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.
deathbones.gif

Not helping.

Someone asked in this thread earlier but I didn't see anyone answer him - does anyone know what the difference is between Chivalry and the Chivalry Beta (which dls when you buy Chivalry).

cicero

Well... After hearing a while back about how Steam Game Cards had been introduced to the 7-11 convenience store chain, I figured that would be a decent last ditch place to go if I needed some quick credit for my Steam Wallet. So I called down to check first so I wouldn't waste my time if they didn't have any Steam Game Cards. I asked the lady with the heavy accent who answered, "Do you carry Steam Game Cards?", she yelled "NO STEAM CARD", and then promptly hung up the phone.

I sat there kind of semi-stunned, slowly redialed, the line clicked and I started to say something like "Hello? I just...", and she hung up the phone again... I'm not quite sure how to play this Meta-Game.

Salsa

Well... After hearing a while back about how Steam Game Cards had been introduced to the 7-11 convenience store chain, I figured that would be a decent last ditch place to go if I needed some quick credit for my Steam Wallet. So I called down to check first so I wouldn't waste my time if they didn't have any Steam Game Cards. I asked the lady with the heavy accent who answered, "Do you carry Steam Game Cards?", she yelled "NO STEAM CARD", and then promptly hung up the phone.

I sat there kind of semi-stunned, slowly redialed, the line clicked and I started to say something like "Hello? I just...", and she hung up the phone again... I'm not quite sure how to play this Meta-Game.

bet that lady loves her some Origin

Wynnebeck

Banned
Can someone give me a quick breakdown/impressions on Giana Sisters? I'm eyeing it off over at GMG... looks interesting. Thanks!

Giana Sisters harkens back to the golden age of platformers with punishing difficulty and a great sense of achievement when you make it through a tough section. The mechanic is you are playing both sisters at once and have to switch back and forth between both worlds the sisters are trapped in to solve puzzles or collect gems. Definitely has my vote for one of the best platformers of last year. Only game that comes near to Giana Sisters in platformy goodness in my opinion is Rayman Origins and not even that comes close. Pick it up. DO IT NAO!

WisK

Neo Member
Played the Sanctum 2 demo and enjoyed it but it seems like its really focused on multilayer. Should I bother if I mostly going to be playing it solo?

The part I don't get: clearly Steam has discounts on other items waiting in the wings. Why hold them back in favour of deals we already got? The only theory I can think of is that the makers of Sanctum and Arma II have the money to throw around to buy out additional placement for their games during the sale, and the makers of Kentucky Route Zero and Recettear either don't or didn't bother. But then how did they make it into the community votes? And if that's just a cheaper placement product, seems like a bit of a gamble for the smaller indies, no? "Pay us $X to MAYBE win the community vote, and otherwise got a tiny block on the front page that will lead to people not buying your game because they'll be disappointed it didn't go on sale for cheaper?"

Volotaire

Yo help me out GAF which would you rank out of these as need to get?

Audiosurf
Beat Hazard
Commandos Collection
Puzzle Quest 2

Not considering DYAD until the RRP lowers so the game cheapens up.

Eternia

Someone asked in this thread earlier but I didn't see anyone answer him - does anyone know what the difference is between Chivalry and the Chivalry Beta (which dls when you buy Chivalry).
The Beta was said to be for testing patches before they go live. So just download "Chivalry" if you want to play.

Crayons

Banned
Oh boy! It's Kentucky Route Zero, Expeditions: Conquistador, Incredipede and Retro City Rampage! All the games I wanted on sale went on flash! Thanks Valve!

Fewr

Yo help me out GAF which would you rank out of these as need to get?

Audiosurf
Beat Hazard
Commandos Collection
Puzzle Quest 2

Not considering DYAD until the RRP lowers so the game cheapens up.

Not Puzzle Quest 2. I found it too grindy and gave up after 4-5 hrs (on ipad).

Salsa

Oh boy! It's Kentucky Route Zero, Expeditions: Conquistador, Incredipede and Retro City Rampage! All the games I wanted on sale went on flash! Thanks Valve!

I recently changed the Retro City Rampage grid icon from the ugly default:

header.jpg

to this:

kdb.png

and now i've been feeling like playing it ever since

aint it weird how that works

The part I don't get: clearly Steam has discounts on other items waiting in the wings. Why hold them back in favour of deals we already got? The only theory I can think of is that the makers of Sanctum and Arma II have the money to throw around to buy out additional placement for their games during the sale, and the makers of Kentucky Route Zero and Recettear either don't or didn't bother. But then how did they make it into the community votes? And if that's just a cheaper placement product, seems like a bit of a gamble for the smaller indies, no? "Pay us $X to MAYBE win the community vote, and otherwise got a tiny block on the front page that will lead to people not buying your game because they'll be disappointed it didn't go on sale for cheaper?"

I think its based on the publishers/developers saying: "We're prepared to give a bigger discount if it wins a community vote", because in theory it means theres a bigger chance of sales if a large proportion of the steam community are voting for it. This theory of course breaks down when you add the fact that votes reward cards now, so everyone is voting even dummy and bot accounts, and are not necessarily invested in buying if their vote wins.

JakeD

so barring a miracle 5am flash featuring SS4AE, recettear, and KRZ, we have officially debunked the theory that all community votes end up as dailies or flash deals. its almost as if they said "how can we get our game on the front page, without actually having to put it on sale?"

One last impulse buy before the Sale is over: Rochard or Receiver?

Also will Rochard run on Intel HD Graphics 2000? I know my other specs are good, not sure about the GPU

Alright, giving this a shot even though I'm late to the party:
ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dear Esther -- MB-A90CBBEAB370DFEA - Taken by Atraveller

hom3land

Bought tons of games... And already looking forward to winter sales in hopes they'll be even cheaper.

Euro Truck Sim
Dishonored
Xcom
Kerbal
Skyrim
maybe finally try Civ V

And whatever they can give me for Saints Row 4.

Tellaerin

You made me look. :p I was about to say, "Dammit, and here I thought I was done with this sale, and now this? Crap." You're cruel, Crayons.

<-wants RCR :p

biocat

Last day and I'm thinking of finally picking up Bioshock: Infinite through Amazon w/ coupon as it's cheaper. Yay or nay?

I really want to buy Tomb Raider, Dishonored, and Skyrim. I keep having to look back at all the games in my library that I haven't played yet. I think I'm going to make it.

biocat

btw, it's hilarious how the summer sale card market is exploding. It's difficult even to make a purchase because so many people are buying at such a fast rate.

mrgone

It's on Android, one less for the list .

Anyone got any impressions between Beat Hazard against Audiosurf then.

Aside from the use of music to generate levels they're quite different, but I've personally enjoyed Beat Hazard a bunch more than Audiosurf. It's kind of like staring directly into a strobe light at times, though, so be careful :) I think you can turn down the effect.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
If we're to be honest with ourselves, Kentucky Route Zero itself is not particularly more interactive than the true god of the QTE Dragon's Lair. You really just move an avatar around a screen, read dialog and then move around some more. But that's taking things too basic. The reason why people are upset about Kentucky Route Zero losing is because unlike Dragon's Lair which is just a Don Bluth-inized version of all adventure games ever, KRZ dares to try and do something different.

It's taken everything about adventure gaming that people loved and ditched the shit that got in the way creating artificial length by taking the piss at the expense of the player. There are no puzzles and nothing to stand in your way to progression but your own enjoyment of just being in that part of the crazy, surrealist world. Its strength lies in the art, writing and music which all combines into a powerful little adventure that starts off close to any backwoods road you may stumble upon in any given state and jettisons off into weird.

What gets me about the writing in the game is how it lets you control who each character it gives you control of by way of subtle characteristics instead of blatently being an angel or the second coming of hitler. The versions of my characters carry hefty emotional weight with them and react to each other as such. It's a spin that not everyone will have on their run - they may choose to be a little bit more loose and that's fine. It may not even lead to major changes in the story, but i'll be damned if the illusion of crafting a character isn't the most refreshing thing. It also gives different significance to certain scenes:

This can mean many things to many different players. I know what my Conrad is thinking in this scene, and it isn't a pretty set of memories. And it isn't just the visual scenarios which get you thinking, either. Some map traversal is done on a flat roadmap where you may stumble upon special text-adventure events that add to the weirdness of the magical reality genre that KRZ takes so much of its atmosphere and inspiration from. The polished text stands tall with well-done audio to deliver claustrophobic mini-episodes that are worth wandering the map trying to find. You can tell the game was heavily drawing from true literature.

It's not going to be for everyone. But for those who really want something different, something which upholds quality storytelling and understands the importance of presentation, Kentucky Route Zero is truly the game they deserved during this sale. If you're a fan of Lynch's movies, if you have read "One Hundred Years of Solitude", if you have at least one album by William Basinski, you need this game. And nothing will make me change my mind that it was robbed of its proper sale spot by a game that by all means is a heap of outdated hot garbage.

EDIT: It would be remiss of me to not include a link to part of the soundtrack. Check out the soundcloud and just imagine the sort of story that is sitting behind such serene but offputting beauty.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is there a guide to explain the trading card system like I'm 5? I have no clue what's going on how to craft anything. What is a foil? I put my Bioshock Infinite Foil up for sale...

marrec

Banned
Goddamn KR Zero is such a pretty game.

Hey, anyone have impressions of Gnomoria?

Would someone who hates Dwarf Fortress have any joy in it?

biocat

Is there a guide to explain the trading card system like I'm 5? I have no clue what's going on how to craft anything. What is a foil? I put my Bioshock Infinite Foil up for sale...

How much did you get. The market is booming on the last day.

bj00rn_

Banned
If you're into trains (my safe bet is; you are not..but anyway..) then you need to understand that you can easily save hundreds of dollars on Railworks DLC during this last day of the summer sale (yeah, the dlc is crazy expensive).

Anyway, I'm so happy I got Hotline Miami. Such an amazing little game..

btw, it's hilarious how the summer sale card market is exploding. It's difficult even to make a purchase because so many people are buying at such a fast rate.

I'm not on the best connection right now, but yeah I couldn't make a purchase and now the market page(s) don't even load anymore.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If we're to be honest with ourselves, Kentucky Route Zero itself is not particularly more interactive than the true god of the QTE Dragon's Lair. You really just move an avatar around a screen, read dialog and then move around some more. But that's taking things too basic. The reason why people are upset about Kentucky Route Zero losing is because unlike Dragon's Lair which is just a Don Bluth-inized version of all adventure games ever, KRZ dares to try and do something different.

It's taken everything about adventure gaming that people loved and ditched the shit that got in the way creating artificial length by taking the piss at the expense of the player. There are no puzzles and nothing to stand in your way to progression but your own enjoyment of just being in that part of the crazy, surrealist world. Its strength lies in the art, writing and music which all combines into a powerful little adventure that starts off close to any backwoods road you may stumble upon in any given state and jettisons off into weird.

What gets me about the writing in the game is how it lets you control who each character it gives you control of by way of subtle characteristics instead of blatently being an angel or the second coming of hitler. The versions of my characters carry hefty emotional weight with them and react to each other as such. It's a spin that not everyone will have on their run - they may choose to be a little bit more loose and that's fine. It may not even lead to major changes in the story, but i'll be damned if the illusion of crafting a character isn't the most refreshing thing. It also gives different significance to certain scenes:

This can mean many things to many different players. I know what my Conrad is thinking in this scene, and it isn't a pretty set of memories. And it isn't just the visual scenarios which get you thinking, either. Some map traversal is done on a flat roadmap where you may stumble upon special text-adventure events that add to the weirdness of the magical reality genre that KRZ takes so much of its atmosphere and inspiration from. The polished text stands tall with well-done audio to deliver claustrophobic mini-episodes that are worth wandering the map trying to find. You can tell the game was heavily drawing from true literature.

It's not going to be for everyone. But for those who really want something different, something which upholds quality storytelling and understands the importance of presentation, Kentucky Route Zero is truly the game they deserved during this sale. If you're a fan of Lynch's movies, if you have read "One Hundred Years of Solitude", if you have at least one album by William Basinski, you need this game. And nothing will make me change my mind that it was robbed of its proper sale spot by a game that by all means is a heap of outdated hot garbage.
This is a great post, and it kinda makes me regret my decision of waiting until the last episode is released before getting the game. But I gotta be strong, and wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom