• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Summer Sales 2013 - Pick up the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I played the hell out of Kerbal Space Program way back when it originally had a free version (which I think is now the demo), is it worth buying for 13ish bucks? I loved toying around with it but what have they added that makes it better than the old one?

Slacker

I second this recommendation. It's awesome.

If I played the hell out of Kerbal Space Program way back when it originally had a free version (which I think is now the demo), is it worth buying for 13ish bucks? I loved toying around with it but what have they added that makes it better than the old one?

I only jumped in a month ago so I can't speak to the differences, but for 13ish bucks now you get the full game as it develops and is released.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
If we're to be honest with ourselves, Kentucky Route Zero itself is not particularly more interactive than the true god of the QTE Dragon's Lair. You really just move an avatar around a screen, read dialog and then move around some more. But that's taking things too basic. The reason why people are upset about Kentucky Route Zero losing is because unlike Dragon's Lair which is just a Don Bluth-inized version of all adventure games ever, KRZ dares to try and do something different.

It's taken everything about adventure gaming that people loved and ditched the shit that got in the way creating artificial length by taking the piss at the expense of the player. There are no puzzles and nothing to stand in your way to progression but your own enjoyment of just being in that part of the crazy, surrealist world. Its strength lies in the art, writing and music which all combines into a powerful little adventure that starts off close to any backwoods road you may stumble upon in any given state and jettisons off into weird.

What gets me about the writing in the game is how it lets you control who each character it gives you control of by way of subtle characteristics instead of blatently being an angel or the second coming of hitler. The versions of my characters carry hefty emotional weight with them and react to each other as such. It's a spin that not everyone will have on their run - they may choose to be a little bit more loose and that's fine. It may not even lead to major changes in the story, but i'll be damned if the illusion of crafting a character isn't the most refreshing thing. It also gives different significance to certain scenes:

This can mean many things to many different players. I know what my Conrad is thinking in this scene, and it isn't a pretty set of memories. And it isn't just the visual scenarios which get you thinking, either. Some map traversal is done on a flat roadmap where you may stumble upon special text-adventure events that add to the weirdness of the magical reality genre that KRZ takes so much of its atmosphere and inspiration from. The polished text stands tall with well-done audio to deliver claustrophobic mini-episodes that are worth wandering the map trying to find. You can tell the game was heavily drawing from true literature.

It's not going to be for everyone. But for those who really want something different, something which upholds quality storytelling and understands the importance of presentation, Kentucky Route Zero is truly the game they deserved during this sale. If you're a fan of Lynch's movies, if you have read "One Hundred Years of Solitude", if you have at least one album by William Basinski, you need this game. And nothing will make me change my mind that it was robbed of its proper sale spot by a game that by all means is a heap of outdated hot garbage.

EDIT: It would be remiss of me to not include a link to part of the soundtrack. Check out the soundcloud and just imagine the sort of story that is sitting behind such serene but offputting beauty.

This needs to be quoted again.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Great write-up, CheesecakeRecipe.

If that doesn't convince everybody to buy the game, I don't know what will.

Thanks, I guess you can tell how much I love the game! It's one of those experiences that hit many marks for me that videogames haven't in a long time. The blend of influences they pull from is something that resonates with me on so many levels and I do fear that for some it may not have as heavy of an impact. But...

This is a great post, and it kinda makes me regret my decision of waiting until the last episode is released before getting the game. But I gotta be strong, and wait.

...I can't say I blame anyone for wanting to wait. It's a 5 episode long game and only two episodes are out now. The second episode saw a several month delay because the duo got very busy with a lot of shows they were supposed to show up to as well as personal situations but in the end they still delivered. I myself am waiting on The Dream Machine to finish all 6 of its episodes before I finally start playing it again after having tried their old on-site demo years ago, but KRZ pulled me in and I am now eagerly awaiting any tidbit of news or info on when the next episode is to come. Stick it on your wishlists folks, keep an eye out for it. I just wish the devs had the ability to get that 50% off discount out and fetched some more sales out of it.

mrgone

The entire Kerbin system to explore (and crash on), hundreds of new parts to build with, a graphical and engine overhaul (less lag created by the physics system, reentry effects!), loads of new mods at kerbalspaceport.com

edit: Oh, the most important thing! You can have as many missions running at the same time as you want now, so you can put satellites into orbit, set up space stations and moon bases, send probes and rovers to distant planets, etc. and leave them running while you do other things.

so barring a miracle 5am flash featuring SS4AE, recettear, and KRZ, we have officially debunked the theory that all community votes end up as dailies or flash deals. its almost as if they said "how can we get our game on the front page, without actually having to put it on sale?"
Happened with Primordia as well. Here's hopin' these 4 games show up as the last flash sale. (haha I have no hope)

Slacker

This game is not for everyone. It's definitely more geared towards actual simulation/physics and the learning curve is steep. Part of the fun is learning from all the disastrously (humorous) failures that will inevitably occur.

The fails are amazing. Here are some of my attempts to build a space shuttle with little knowledge of how to do such things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGoK_Lh0MIU

Once you learn what you're doing though, the feeling of accomplishment is hard to beat. Awesome game all the way around.

This is really getting annoying now. My crappy hotel internet connection is too slow to be able to buy the cards I need off the market. :/

This shit needs buy orders.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty disappointed that neither Ghost Recon Future Soldier nor Lost Planet 2 got a community vote/flash/daily...zzzz.

P.S. Vote for CoJ: Gunslinger

The fails are amazing. Here are some of my attempts to build a space shuttle with little knowledge of how to do such things:

Once you learn what you're doing though, the feeling of accomplishment is hard to beat. Awesome game all the way around.

Haha this is great. So what do you do? You just work away at your rocket and when you're ready you sit back and let it launch and see what happens?

kerbalonzoz.gif

Exuro

I managed to finish a game before the sale ended!

Toki Tori 2+! Such a good game and so much better than the first. Wouldn't mind items coming back in a sequel though.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, I guess you can tell how much I love the game! It's one of those experiences that hit many marks for me that videogames haven't in a long time. The blend of influences they pull from is something that resonates with me on so many levels and I do fear that for some it may not have as heavy of an impact. But...

...I can't say I blame anyone for wanting to wait. It's a 5 episode long game and only two episodes are out now. The second episode saw a several month delay because the duo got very busy with a lot of shows they were supposed to show up to as well as personal situations but in the end they still delivered. I myself am waiting on The Dream Machine to finish all 6 of its episodes before I finally start playing it again after having tried their old on-site demo years ago, but KRZ pulled me in and I am now eagerly awaiting any tidbit of news or info on when the next episode is to come. Stick it on your wishlists folks, keep an eye out for it. I just wish the devs had the ability to get that 50% off discount out and fetched some more sales out of it.
Oh, it's already on my wishlist, and it's not a matter of money, since from what I've heard it's a hell of a game and something I'll probably enjoy a lot. To me it's a matter of impatience: I don't want to finish the first 2 episodes and then having to force myself to wait until the rest are released. I'd rather wait now, when I still don't know what I'm missing, and then play the whole package in one go.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Kerbal or Prison Architect?

Kerbal if you want to try something new and have patience.

Haha this is great. So what do you do? You just work away at your rocket and when you're ready you sit back and let it launch and see what happens?

You tune and build your rocket. Then the fun beginnings. You have to control and stage your rocket to try and reach whatever your destination is.

DukeBobby

Oh, it's already on my wishlist, and it's not a matter of money, since from what I've heard it's a hell of a game and something I'll probably enjoy a lot. To me it's a matter of impatience: I don't want to finish the first 2 episodes and then having to force myself to wait until the rest are released. I'd rather wait now, when I still don't know what I'm missing, and then play the whole package in one go.

I finished episode 2 a couple of days ago, and the wait is already unbearable.

Fireblend

Banned
I managed to finish a game before the sale ended!

Toki Tori 2+! Such a good game and so much better than the first. Wouldn't mind items coming back in a sequel though.

I was able to finish Hotline Miami, and I'm almost done with Dust!

*high five*

Slacker

Yeah basically I was attempting to build a reusable spacecraft like the space shuttle, so I built the rough version and attached a couple of booster rockets to it to get it off the ground. The plan was to get it off the ground then make a controlled landing, but the ship was way too heavy and I never got design quite right.

Edit: And to actually answer your question, no you don't watch and see - you still have direct control over everything. And it's not easy, either. The first time you get a Kerbal to orbit and back home safely is an accomplishment.

koolaroo

Man I'm feeling a little sad right now. I'm gonna miss the steam sale. I love checking everyday to see all the new deals. I love seeing all the crazy giveaways in this thread. I'm just sad to see it all go away. Well I guess there is still the daily deals, midweek deals, and weekend deals but it's just not the same. Also are there still weekly deals? It seems like those have disappeared.

Slacker

lol that was a new low. I had to delete and readd those support columns, and they ended up in the wrong stage, so instead of disconnecting when the rockets fired, they held on tight. :D

Man I'm feeling a little sad right now. I'm gonna miss the steam sale. I love checking everyday to see all the new deals. I love seeing all the crazy giveaways in this thread. I'm just sad to see it all go away. Well I guess there is still the daily deals, midweek deals, and weekend deals but it's just not the same. Also are there still weekly deals? It seems like those have disappeared.
We'll always have Christmas. :)

Grief.exe

They are still there, just aren't well advertised.

Fewr

Ticket to Ride didn't get the spotlight this time either. Well, I can wait for another daily deal or black friday.

Anyone? Would like an opinion before the Sale ends.
Also it says integrated graphics not supported but on Steam forums and other forums, people have said they can play on integrated. So what would I believe?
One last impulse buy before the Sale is over: Rochard or Receiver?

Also will Rochard run on Intel HD Graphics 2000? I know my other specs are good, not sure about the GPU

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is Kerbal Spce Program anything like the builder in Banjo Kazooie?

Ugh Lost Planet 2, you should have gone on sale.

So bummed Kane & Lynch 3 was cancelled, it had real potential. Fragile Alliance was also one of the best multiplayer modes of the generation, shame it doesn't seem to be populated on the PC version of 2 at all.

Deitus

50% off isn't terrible but eh.

It's not just the percentage. Capcom had no presence in this sale. They had a ton of games that could have been deeply discounted, but weren't. The few games they had that were featured were still about 30% too expensive.

Square Enix and SEGA on the other hand both had games featured almost every day at great prices.

Dec

Anyone? Would like an opinion before the Sale ends.
Also it says integrated graphics not supported but on Steam forums and other forums, people have said they can play on integrated. So what would I believe?

There is a demo isn't there? But this is stated in the requirements.

Note: Rochard is not compatible with most integrated graphics chips such as Intel.

Edit: somehow missed you said you saw that. I think the best thing you can do is either find someone with your exact model running the game, or try the demo.

YoThatLimp

Neo Member
I agree...I was interested when we found out it would be part of the sale but that price is just way too much.

Yeah, that is the one thing putting me off of buying it, plus when I play it for 30 hours and have my fill I won't feel like playing the "real" game as features are added.

antitrop

That write up on KRZ was pretty sweet, I really want to play it. This really seems like one I would enjoy, would have bought at 50%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom