• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Summer Sales 2013 - Pick up the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDown

Banned
I had to go the more expensive route with the Might & Magic games when they were on sale earlier in the year as Ubi is hopelessly inconsistent when it comes to including DDEs within franchise packs.
I ended up picking up the Ubi games I was eyeballing on Amazon through some special discount.

How long is To the Moon? I only have a few bucks left and I'm debating between the Knife of Dunwall DLC and To The Moon. On the one hand Knife of Dunwall looks pretty cool, but it's DLC, so I don't expect it last longer than three or four hours. On the other hand To The Moon has gotten a lot of praise, but if it's like an hour or two long I might opt for Knife of Dunwall. Suggestions?

Anyone have issues with Strike Force Zero glitching? Skipping the first cutscene makes the game go black and when I rolled my ship lost all movement :/

Am downsampling from 4K but that shouldn't break anything right?

Edit: Now I can't even start the mission gameplay :3

Grief.exe

I actually have about $10 worth of MSP I will literally never use otherwise, if I buy it through GFWL or whatever terrible method they have set up will it cause issues in the future/does it make more sense to wait for the DLC to show up on Steam?

If they do remove GFWL from the Steam version than Minerva's Den will not function.

Fracas

#fuckonami
All the Summer Sale foils are worth less than $2, so I'd hang on to it and see how the market is later down the track: once the sale is over, the Summer Sale cards will no longer drop, so there'll be a finite supply.

Hold on to it for a few days after the sale.

That's because the card was brand new back then and a market had not been established. There is little chance of it ever going back up that high, short of Valve seriously reworking how drops work to limit supply.

Edit: Sorry, I thought you were talking about a foil from the Bioshock Infinite card set, not a summer sale card. Yeah, those will probably go up a bit eventually, but not to 10 bucks.
Will do. Thanks guys!

DukeBobby

How long is To the Moon? I only have a few bucks left and I'm debating between the Knife of Dunwall DLC and To The Moon. On the one hand Knife of Dunwall looks pretty cool, but it's DLC, so I don't expect it last longer than three or four hours. On the other hand To The Moon has gotten a lot of praise, but if it's like an hour or two long I might opt for Knife of Dunwall. Suggestions?

About 4 hours.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

HLTB's average is 4 hours.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Cards will really make you spend more than usual, either because you sell them for cash or because you want to earn badges.

Tenrius

Okay, last time I promise. But you know, Sale ends soon and I'd like to get Rochard while it's discounted. If anything, I'll get Receiver instead

I watched my roommate playing through Rochard (some bits, anyway) and it seemed pretty good, he liked it as well. Charming visuals, too. I think if you compare it to Receiver, it's a more traditional experience with conventional puzzle/platforming levels etc, while Receiver is highly experimental in its structure and design. So because of that, it's hard to decidedly choose between the two. Unsure about the GPU question, sorry.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
If we're to be honest with ourselves, Kentucky Route Zero itself is not particularly more interactive than the true god of the QTE Dragon's Lair. You really just move an avatar around a screen, read dialog and then move around some more. But that's taking things too basic. The reason why people are upset about Kentucky Route Zero losing is because unlike Dragon's Lair which is just a Don Bluth-inized version of all adventure games ever, KRZ dares to try and do something different.

It's taken everything about adventure gaming that people loved and ditched the shit that got in the way creating artificial length by taking the piss at the expense of the player. There are no puzzles and nothing to stand in your way to progression but your own enjoyment of just being in that part of the crazy, surrealist world. Its strength lies in the art, writing and music which all combines into a powerful little adventure that starts off close to any backwoods road you may stumble upon in any given state and jettisons off into weird.

What gets me about the writing in the game is how it lets you control who each character it gives you control of by way of subtle characteristics instead of blatently being an angel or the second coming of hitler. The versions of my characters carry hefty emotional weight with them and react to each other as such. It's a spin that not everyone will have on their run - they may choose to be a little bit more loose and that's fine. It may not even lead to major changes in the story, but i'll be damned if the illusion of crafting a character isn't the most refreshing thing. It also gives different significance to certain scenes:

This can mean many things to many different players. I know what my Conrad is thinking in this scene, and it isn't a pretty set of memories. And it isn't just the visual scenarios which get you thinking, either. Some map traversal is done on a flat roadmap where you may stumble upon special text-adventure events that add to the weirdness of the magical reality genre that KRZ takes so much of its atmosphere and inspiration from. The polished text stands tall with well-done audio to deliver claustrophobic mini-episodes that are worth wandering the map trying to find. You can tell the game was heavily drawing from true literature.

It's not going to be for everyone. But for those who really want something different, something which upholds quality storytelling and understands the importance of presentation, Kentucky Route Zero is truly the game they deserved during this sale. If you're a fan of Lynch's movies, if you have read "One Hundred Years of Solitude", if you have at least one album by William Basinski, you need this game. And nothing will make me change my mind that it was robbed of its proper sale spot by a game that by all means is a heap of outdated hot garbage.

EDIT: It would be remiss of me to not include a link to part of the soundtrack. Check out the soundcloud and just imagine the sort of story that is sitting behind such serene but offputting beauty.
I was waiting for a post like this, thanks. Everyone mentioning the game already got me interested enough but this seals the deal. Sounds like something I'll definitely like but as things stands it seems to be a better idea for me to wait for the other episodes. It appearing in the last flash deal (or it simply having a bigger discount in the future) would push me over the edge though.

DarkFlow

Banned
So what was the final damage guys? I spent about $26 and got a good amount of stuff.

ARMA II: Combined Operations mainly for some Day Z action
Chivalry
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Plus all DLC
Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition
Garry's Mod
Just Cause for 27 cents lol.

Not bad I say.

Grief.exe

Climbed another mountain today. Summited about noon Mountain time (11am Pacific). I couldn't check the Steam store since I didn't have any reception, but the deals were repeats anyways.

This picture is actually taken from the base, but its awesome.

iC3MpZI3nDyM6.png

Still cant believe the only semi decent sale by Konami was PES, why do some companies hate money ;(.

Japan and Activision dont get Steam

One last impulse buy before the Sale is over: Rochard or Receiver?

Also will Rochard run on Intel HD Graphics 2000? I know my other specs are good, not sure about the GPU

It's a unity engine game so yes. It probably won't run super well but it'll run and be fairly playable. Most unity engine games I've seen so far though don't tend to have a lot of graphics options though, besides the quality slider/dropdownbox, so if it's running too crappy there's probably not much you can do.

Nearly three hours late, but... Dragon's Lair. I guess the best thing we can say is that the voting was relatively close. But Dragon's Lair.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing- -- MB-C6DAF53D31FDF3B3 - Taken by SmarterUnconscious

I love the kotor franchise but I'm always scared to buy them, mostly because I feel like someday I'll run out of other shit to buy and buy the star wars pack.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Can't get myself to pull the trigger on Rogue Legacy... I know it's good but I've got other games to work through at the moment and by the time I get to it it'll probably be cheaper...

Giveaway
ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

SONIC GENERATIONS -- MB-97DE313C9A4034AE - Taken by mannerbot

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing- -- MB-C6DAF53D31FDF3B3 - Taken by SmarterUnconscious

Hey awesome, just came back from watching Pacific Rim and I'm greeted with this. Thank you Anonymous whoever you are, I will play this game.

But it looks like amazon hasn't matched the steam version of rogue legacy, dammit. They are doing terrible price matching these sales.

If anyone likes kart/arcade racers, they should pick up Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed. It's the bastard love child of Mario Kart 7 and Outrun.

If anyone likes kart/arcade racers, they should pick up Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed. It's the bastard love child of Mario Kart 7 and Outrun.

I played it during the free weekend and couldn't win the hardest difficulty level to save my life, which is why I haven't purchased it yet. Well that and I can't decide what my last few purchases should be.

I'm on the fence about dishonoured. Someone sell me on it!
"Whale punk" semi sandbox action stealth with emergent gameplay and a wealth of tactics and powers. An unique atmosphere and beautifully crafted world to experience. Tons of replay value. You get to support a new IP. You feel like a badass when you combine all your powers and tools and plan your tactics and it all works or it doesn't and you have to improvise on the fly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom