• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Summer Sales 2013 - Pick up the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to recommend Shatter, but I see it's already there. Good. And you must buy the soundtrack edition, the regular edition might as well be non-existent.

Gonna recommend Stacking, currently 75% off, a charming little Double Fine puzzle game.
Yes, I agree with this and I'd like to recommend another charming little Double Fine game:

Costume Quest

Costume Quest is a Halloween themed (fairly simple) RPG. It's a neat little game and I think it deserves to be played by more people. It's also 75% off right now!

Crayons

Banned
sbi4p6k.png

Should I?

Salsa

Maybe Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe should be in the games under $5 category in the OP - game has the best goddamned high score music since Commando on the C64 :D

OP:

SalsaShark said:
Thread isnt meant to be an OP with ALL the games that are worth it listed, just my own/and GAF's in general taste. It's a platform for you to recommend other stuff (in the same format as in the OP or otherwise), so dont go all "OMG SALSA YOU FORGOT THIS".

:p

the OP is literally 2 words away from the character limit

I am one penny away from getting all the games I want. ONE PENNY and none of the cards will register to sell in the market.
The reason I am one penny and not two dollars away is because I decided maybe the fallout collection is a better deal but I still can not afford it.

Toki767

There is a distinct lack of Modbot giveaways in this thread. So here's one. Preferably for the people who have given away stuff but have yet to win.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot recently [since the start of beta testing for ModBot], you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Capsized -- MB-D7687B64E30E305C
Little Inferno -- MB-91DE56AEF9BBB04F

Anything I should add my final list of purchases this summer sale? I was thinking of buying Kane & Lynch 2 and give a copy to my brother for us to play Coop, or even Grid (the first one), to have at least one racing game. Any opnion?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I am one penny away from getting all the games I want. ONE PENNY and none of the cards will register to sell in the market.
The reason I am one penny and not two dollars away is because I decided maybe the fallout collection is a better deal but I still can not afford it.

is there any way to help you out?
can I transfer funds from my steam wallet to yours?

Yes, I agree with this and I'd like to recommend another charming little Double Fine game:

Costume Quest

Costume Quest is a Halloween themed (fairly simple) RPG. It's a neat little game and I think it deserves to be played by more people. It's also 75% off right now!

This game looks amazing, if I had card money I wouldn't hesitate. Hopefully it'll show up during the Halloween pseudo-sale, as I wouldn't play it until then anyway.

Coen

I'd love to pick up Kentucky Route Zero. It losing the vote to fucking Dragon's Lair is the biggest disappointment of this sale.

What I really want is a thread to post impressions of all the games we played from the summer sale (either because of cards or otherwise). As sale meta-games go, I actually liked the cards a lot more than the achievement-based meta-games from a few years back because instead of having to cheese out some achievements that occasionally made you play the game in the least enjoyable way possible, you could instead play the games as they were meant to be played for a few hours. I'LL START, YOU GUYS

Euro Truck Simulator 2. Actually picked this up earlier but boy is this game great fun. If it was just the truck driving it wouldn't be all that interesting, but whoever said it was like Elite but with trucks totally has it right. In fact, I'd go further and say ETS2 figured out how to make the most boring aspect of trading sims--the traveling from place to place--interesting. It combines strategy (I'll take this delivery job) and execution (now I gotta watch for the right turn-off and make sure I'm doing the speed limit and oh fuck I jackknifed the trailer when I was backing up to detach the trailer), something most trading sims don't bother with. And this will sound silly to the uninitiated but having actual radio stations is so amazing that I want the feature in ALL my driving games now. Highly recommended.

Endless Space. It's weird that people call this game relatively easy to get into, because the tutorial screens the game throws at you are intimidating walls of text, and there are tons of them. Plus the tech map is MASSIVE and you don't understand what any of it really gets you at the start. That said, the game IS relatively easy once you've absorbed the basic outlines of what everything does. The defaults for your first game are gentle enough that you can kind of fill in the blanks in your knowledge as you go along. Curious to see how bigger, more epic games will fare, now that I have a sense of what's important. I liked it.

Really Big Sky. Humble Bundle purchase from a while back. I thought this game was really stupid until I realized you could upgrade your ship after every death in Classic mode. Then it made a lot more sense and was a lot more enjoyable. Stupid fun, though I'd think hard about turning off the narrator unless you like hearing him say "tits" every time you do something stupid.

Gratuitous Space Battles. Humble Bundle purchase, I think. Not bad, but it really needs some UI cleanup. The fleet HQ screen where you buy upgrades is just a jumble of random ship parts that may or may not be better than stuff you already own, and ordering everything by how much it costs to unlock is pointless. Also, I discovered before too long that just using cruisers for everything was a reliable strategy. Maybe when I unlock the other races that changes. Not bad.

Surgeon Simulator 2013. I had to use a pencil to dislodge a kidney from someone's torso. If that doesn't tell you how amazing this game is, then you might be a lost cause. Could be the game of the sale for me!

Scribblenauts Unlimited. Also bought this previously but just started playing now. I hear people say this one's more game-y than the previous two, but if that's the case then I might leave the copy of Super Scribblenauts I have for DS untouched. Unlimited isn't bad once you realize it's basically a mad libs game for the most part, but it's not a very interesting mad libs game--either you'll get the solution immediately or you'll spend a couple of minutes typing in things you think should be in the dictionary but aren't for some unfathomable reason. That said, there are a few "eureka!" moments to be had, so it's not all bad.

Reus. I think the conceit of limiting each game to 30/60/90 minutes might be what pushes Reus from good to great. It forces you to decide what objectives you're going to go for in this round, and keeps you from worrying about creating a utopia every game--sometimes you WANT your villages to go to war, or sometimes you only want one village, etc. It does make the game less about cultivating your world and more about managing unlocks, but I don't mind a little more direction in my god games. Definitely worth the purchase.

The Swapper. Suitably spooky atmosphere and some neat puzzles. I especially like how in the early going, you'll come up to an area that seems completely unsolvable, and the game offers you no help on how to solve it. And then you try some crazy strategy thinking it'll never work, and it'll turn out that the game wanted you to do that all along, and now it's something you'll need to use everywhere to get to new areas. It's like that Metroidvania feeling everyone always talks about, except the tool you unlock is in your MIND.

Super Meat Boy. Also a previous purchase I didn't start playing until now. What the hell was I thinking? I'm bad at platformers and don't like the hardcore action-y ones very much. Why did I think this would be different? Also: some of the levels are long enough that I REALLY wish there were checkpoints, but because the whole point of the game is to break your balls I guess that would be contrary to the design goals. Not for me.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. The transforming aspect is something I didn't even really know about before buying the game, but it's the big thing that gives this game its unique character. And strangely, as someone who never really cared much about either Mario Kart or classic Sega franchises, styling every level after a random Sega game is surprisingly appealing to me. Now I hope they make a Skies of Arcadia HD so I can watch flying pirate ships blast each other out of the sky. (Also I really hope there's a Valkyria Chronicles level but I'm not holding my breath.) My only major disappointment is that Ulala SUCKS and she's really the only character I want to race as.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. I rarely play multiplayer anymore so it was a risk for me, taking a chance on this one. So far, I'm absolutely horrific at it--I think my K/D ratio is something like 0.1--but it's got a bunch of goofy laughs in it. It's so dumb that until I figured out what the battlecry key was, I would just yell "AGATHAAAAAAAA" in my apartment before each round for effect. I'm pretty sure that if I don't improve soon, watching the match play out without me will soon grow tiresome, but so far even that is entertaining.

Hotline Miami. Again, purchased previously, didn't play until now. Starting to get the same sense I did from Super Meat Boy, and the fact I can't get my PS3 controller and Xinput Wrapper to work infuriates me slightly because WASD doesn't make as much sense to me here. Maybe I'll return to it later but right now it's just so frustrating and I haven't even gotten past chapter 2 yet. (Yes I am bad at games why do you ask.)

Sleeping Dogs: Zodiac Tournament and Year of the Snake. Zodiac Tournament was a nice bite-sized snack, but definitely not as frustrating or hard as when Giant Bomb did their quick look. Ultimately, it was a trifle--definitely worth the dollar, not much more though. Year of the Snake, on the other hand, is more classic Sleeping Dogs, which is exactly what I wanted. So far it seems meatier than Nightmare at North Point, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom