• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Summer Sales 2013 - Pick up the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not that big really... I haven't even played much of 2 yet. I played about 20% through bl1. I plan on getting to it eventually though with some buddies of mine.

I'd wait for 75% off if you still need to work through the main campaign.

Edit: Oh, I misread your post and thought you were considering the Season Pass.

MNC

Does sonic all star racing transformed still have that wonky steering? Coming from mario kart it had somereal weird steering in the first game. Also, what makes this kart game so special?

Also: any 4 packs going?

Reposting, as I probably want this. I dunno. Fuck. I'm having withdrawals of only having spent 3 bucks this sale.

cicero

Ehm, I just went to my store transactions page on my account and apparently I had a recent steam store gift transaction for super house of dead ninjas. I don't remember purchasing this as a gift, I don't remember losing any money in my steam wallet, and it's not in my gifting history? Is this an error or should I be concerned ?
Have you been drunk and on your computer recently?

Wonder if I should buy a game or buy more cards.

I have no idea if buying cards will ever be worth it, but in the off-chance that they become more expensive I'd like to get more of them now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ehm, I just went to my store transactions page on my account and apparently I had a recent steam store gift transaction for super house of dead ninjas. I don't remember purchasing this as a gift, I don't remember losing any money in my steam wallet, and it's not in my gifting history? Is this an error or should I be concerned ?

Check your inbox for a receipt.

I have no idea if buying cards will ever be worth it, but in the off-chance that they become more expensive I'd like to get more of them now.

I don't think so. They're for a single badge, and there are tons of game badges. I think prices will stay low.

FloatOn

Made my final purchases of this sale:

Blade Symphony and Sega Classics Pack 5

because who can say no to phantasy star 4 and potentially a new bushido blade type of thing?

derExperte

I got enough to craft a lvl5 summer badge. So if they rise in value I sell them. If not I get the badge.

PS some cards are already going up in price, even if only by a few cents.

Well now I have to start playing some of the games I have. Happy with what I got considering I only spent around £11, and £6 of that was from selling/trading cards.

Big thanks to PorkWing again for the copy of Primordia, can't wait to give it a go.

EDIT: Just realised I have £0.70 (which is about $1). Anything for that price you guys can recommend?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Bought Critter Crunch and Rearmed and got the Gundemonium Collection as a gift (thanks again Karu!). The recommendations in the OP are like impulse buy central, have to contain myself.

Have read John Walker's review of The Void a couple of times in the past, watched some let's plays, marvelled at the art style and the imagination of it all...

...but have run for the hills at the frequent mentions of difficulty levels, and the ability to 'break' your own save due to poor play/decisions throughout the game.

So, ricochet, I ask you kindly for your appraisal, please: how save-spammy and mindful of this difficulty does one have to be when playing through this? I don't mind a brain-bending thought-provoking challenge by any means, but is juggling saves part and parcel of the experience?

Sorry for the late response, someone(not me, I put one out) forgot to put a pad in the puppy's den which was not the morning sight I was looking forward to.

The game isn't really save spammy at all, the thing is if you don't learn proper habits it won't really matter when you save.

As for the game taken at it's Vanilla state, it's excruciatingly hard at times. The game's color juggling is very complex in terms of the various pools you have to manage while still using that color to survive. This isn't helped by the fact that game actually forces you to learn how the world operates and thrives. You can get advice from the sisters, and sometimes even the brothers but a few of them will actually lie to you if it's for their gain. So you need to take everything with a grain of salt. Keep in mind I don't mean advice like "Hey, go here and you'll find color" and you go there and you fall into a pit trap and die horribly. That doesn't happen. It's much more subtle lies and half-truths, but I won't get into spoilers.

For all of this color management you have to search the various environments and start gardens which you harvest between cycles(I know!) and build traps lest they be destroyed It really, truly is a complex game but it's one that can be learned.

The absolute hardest aspect of the game, and what makes it so fiendishly difficult is the color management mentioned earlier. Without getting bogged down in the specifics, color acts as your life, weapon, tools, gift, and seeds for plant life. And while traversing the world map color drains from your health pools(which is converted into usable color). So actually balancing this while not overharvesting or not leaving enough to actually move between areas is what forces so many restarts.

Now, this all sounds like a bit much but luckily there is a solution to just enjoying the game if needed. The developers put up a list of mods and config changes that will significantly lighten the game's difficulty and makes management of color much easier. I don't recommend jumping to them but if it's the difference between playing and not playing go for it. http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9044

cammy84

I'm looking at picking up a few last things from the sale and I need GAFs help. Even though Recettear hasn't gotten a flash deal or CC I'm still tempted but I can't find a decent review of it.

So I was wondering from anyone who has played it, what is it like? and would they recommend it?

tylerf

I'm tempted to just spend the rest of my steam wallet on whatever but I think it'd be a better idea to live to fight another day when a game I really want shows up on sale.

I got enough to craft a lvl5 summer badge. So if they rise in value I sell them. If not I get the badge.

Hm yeah sounds kinda pointless. I've made almost $4 selling cards, I may just continue to do so.

Karu

Not much&already been given away several times, but I hope there'll be someone who enjoys them regardless!
ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Wizorb -- MB-4E5D95CD26E04358 - Taken by Marcovaldo
Time Ben There Dan That -- MB-6205CED7156EF7CE - Taken by JakeD

I'm looking at picking up a few last things from the sale and I need GAFs help. Even though Recettear hasn't gotten a flash deal or CC I'm still tempted but I can't find a decent review of it.

So I was wondering from anyone who has played it, what is it like? and would they recommend it?

If you don't mind the moe moe anime stylings and the lack of English voices (subtitles only), Recettear is awesome and addictive. I liked it so much that it got me into the Atelier series, a bunch of PS3 games that are way more expensive, just because I wanted more like Recettear and they were pretty much the only other option in town. Predictably, I love Atelier games too.

Basically, you play a little girl who has to pay off a debt inherited by your long lost (or dead?) father. You do this by opening up an item shop that the townsfolk and wandering adventurers shop at. Your daily tasks include buying stuff wholesale, picking out which items to sell in your shop and where in the shop to feature them (in order to attract the right mix of customers!) and haggling with whoever walks in to buy things. Later things get more complicated--people will place orders for things and expect you to deliver at a certain time, for example. Meanwhile, to get better items and equipment you can sell, you can recruit adventurers to go into dungeons and loot things, which then turns the game into a dungeon crawler.

Great translation (Capitalism, ho!), addictive gameplay. What more do you need to know?

oipic

Sorry for the late response, someone(not me, I put one out) forgot to put a pad in the puppy's den which was not the morning sight I was looking forward to.

The game isn't really save spammy at all, the thing is if you don't learn proper habits it won't really matter when you save.

As for the game taken at it's Vanilla state, it's excruciatingly hard at times. The game's color juggling is very complex in terms of the various pools you have to manage while still using that color to survive. This isn't helped by the fact that game actually forces you to learn how the world operates and thrives. You can get advice from the sisters, and sometimes even the brothers but a few of them will actually lie to you if it's for their gain. So you need to take everything with a grain of salt. Keep in mind I don't mean advice like "Hey, go here and you'll find color" and you go there and you fall into a pit trap and die horribly. That doesn't happen. It's much more subtle lies and half-truths, but I won't get into spoilers.

For all of this color management you have to search the various environments and start gardens which you harvest between cycles(I know!) and build traps lest they be destroyed It really, truly is a complex game but it's one that can be learned.

The absolute hardest aspect of the game, and what makes it so fiendishly difficult is the color management mentioned earlier. Without getting bogged down in the specifics, color acts as your life, weapon, tools, gift, and seeds for plant life. And while traversing the world map color drains from your health pools(which is converted into usable color). So actually balancing this while not overharvesting or not leaving enough to actually move between areas is what forces so many restarts.

Now, this all sounds like a bit much but luckily there is a solution to just enjoying the game if needed. The developers put up a list of mods and config changes that will significantly lighten the game's difficulty and makes management of color much easier. I don't recommend jumping to them but if it's the difference between playing and not playing go for it. http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9044

Thank you very, very much for taking the time to explain that, mate - much appreciated! That paints a great picture, cheers.

I'm sold - there's another 20-odd hours I'll need to find! Thanks again, ricochet.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
And with buying Rage's DLC, I think I'm finally done with this sale.

Spent a lot more than I wanted, but at least I made up from not buying anything in the last 2 sales! :D

wetflame

Pizza Dog

I think there'll be a slight bump in price in the next day or so as people start to speculate on whether the prices go up, but with 36,000 of each card on sale it's highly likely that anyone wanting to craft one will do so and the rest will drop back down to around the same level they were at before.

Freezard

So there were two extra community votes for getting all the cards, because I'm one vote short from a new card and voted in all of them ;_;

Thank you very, very much for taking the time to explain that, mate - much appreciated! That paints a great picture, cheers.

I'm sold - there's another 20-odd hours I'll need to find! Thanks again, ricochet.

No problem, I'm just glad when people express interest in the game.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Man, the cards are selling so fast right now. Looks like the average price is already going up for the summer cards.

cammy84

If you don't mind the moe moe anime stylings and the lack of English voices (subtitles only), Recettear is awesome and addictive. I liked it so much that it got me into the Atelier series, a bunch of PS3 games that are way more expensive, just because I wanted more like Recettear and they were pretty much the only other option in town. Predictably, I love Atelier games too.

Basically, you play a little girl who has to pay off a debt inherited by your long lost (or dead?) father. You do this by opening up an item shop that the townsfolk and wandering adventurers shop at. Your daily tasks include buying stuff wholesale, picking out which items to sell in your shop and where in the shop to feature them (in order to attract the right mix of customers!) and haggling with whoever walks in to buy things. Later things get more complicated--people will place orders for things and expect you to deliver at a certain time, for example. Meanwhile, to get better items and equipment you can sell, you can recruit adventurers to go into dungeons and loot things, which then turns the game into a dungeon crawler.

Great translation (Capitalism, ho!), addictive gameplay. What more do you need to know?

Thank you. You've just sold me on it. Will pick this up before the sale ends

Acccent

Is there no way to fool Steam into giving me prices in $ instead of €? I've already changed my billing address, but an 'unexpected error' stops me from completing my purchase...

This is to gift 9 games, and the currency does makes a non-negligible difference, so if someone wants to help me buy the games in the US store (I'd repay via PayPal) that would be great :)

O Tavares

Neo Member
Hi guys! Finally got my account validated, so no more lurking for me. :)

Some of you already have me on your friends list, but for those who do not feel free to add TavaresUnleashed. We can play all those pretty games you bought this sale together.

Cheers.

oipic

Some of you already have me on your friends list, but for those who do not feel free to add TavaresUnleashed. We can play all those pretty games you bought this sale together.

Cheers.

Welcome! You're just in time for... well, things to get back to some kind of relatively quiet normality here, I guess. Be sure to pop into the regular SteamGAF thread when we head back there in a matter of hours. :)

I'm sooo close to adding it to my cart, just debating whether I wait it out for the next Steam sale. Recettear and Kentucky losing the community choices have been the biggest disappointment for me, of the sale. I have absolutely zero experience with this series but it sounds so interesting and unique.

bootski

Sonic All Star Racing Transformed
Chivalry
FTL
Prison Architect
System Shock 2
Mark of the Ninja
Terraria
Mcpixel
Strike Suit Infinity

total $43ish

Is there no way to fool Steam into giving me prices in $ instead of €? I've already changed my billing address, but an 'unexpected error' stops me from completing my purchase...

This is to gift 9 games, and the currency does makes a non-negligible difference, so if someone wants to help me buy the games in the US store (I'd repay via PayPal) that would be great :)

if no one has offered to help yet, hit me up. Steam link is in my profile.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just cracked on some pinball tables. I'm all about diversifying gameplay experiences now.

O Tavares

Neo Member
Welcome! You're just in time for... well, things to get back to some kind of relatively quiet normality here, I guess. Be sure to pop into the regular SteamGAF thread when we head back there in a matter of hours. :)

Yeah, this topic gets too chaotic, but I can't really blame people. It's easy to lose control when someone is throwing dozens of sweet deals at you.

Anyway, it was the SteamGAF thread that piked my interest in this forum so I'll be there for sure as soon as things get back to "normal".

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Almost certainly is, Ice-Pick Lodge made both games which truly stand as some of gaming's finest achievements. Pathologic has a really odd, poor translation though that can take one out of it. There was a fan translation project that died horribly sadly. IPL have hinted that they might do a remake after their next game, Knock-Knock releases.
Mmm... so would you say it isn't worth playing? Also, is it available on Steam? A bad game can feel not so bad if I can get it for 2 bucks or less :p

Cheers.

Welcome! I've added you, so if I ever get around to playing the games I bought this sale, I'll definitely hit you up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom