• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Summer Sales 2013 - Pick up the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
So guys, is Star Wars KOTOR 2 good? RPG games are probably my favorite and I've been contemplating getting it.
I haven't played a bunch of it, but from what i've seen it's great. Some people even prefer it over the original. Be sure to install the Restored Content Mod!

Or omerta city of gangsters which has cards, but I'm afraid it'd just get backlogged, well actually everything I purchase at this point will be backlogged.

Whatever you do, don't buy Omerta. It has the depth of a 5 dollar ios game and is incredibly repetitious. You play 5 hours before you get variation is map design and then it repeats those new objectives for several hours more until where I stopped. The combat is a poor man's X-Com that can be cheesed given it autosaves before every battle so you can auto-resolve endlessly until you win.

And the story is the most hilariously cliched thing I've experienced in a game. Just a massive disappointment all around coming from the Tropico team.

And Kotor 2 is only 2.49, when has it been cheaper?

I wanted to get KOTOR 1+2, but didn't feel like having to hack it by replacing the game's exe and/or running other programs just to get widescreen working.

If there's a new better way to do it, i'll consider getting them.

It takes like 5 minutes to do so, less if you aren't also installing the Restored Content mod. I mean one isn't hacking anything, the program you install does it for you.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Can someone with PayPal help me out with something? Need to buy something from dunder but no PayPal. So you send him money and I buy you something for $6.50 on Steam. If you have sleeping dogs, I will throw in a street racer dlc. Pm me in you want to help.

Anyone? You would be doing me a huge favor and I will love you forever and ever.

Edit- make the steam purchase up to $7.50. You get a whole dollar free.

Kinyou

So guys, is Star Wars KOTOR 2 good? RPG games are probably my favorite and I've been contemplating getting it.
Imo very good. The start is a bit slow but the don't let that scare you off. Oh and don't forget to install the restored content mod

I wanted to get KOTOR 1+2, but didn't feel like having to hack it by replacing the game's exe and/or running other programs just to get widescreen working.

If there's a new better way to do it, i'll consider getting them.

oh thank you for mentioning this, not pulling the trigger now. I cba hunting down a no cd patch.

Looks like I'm going to spend my last few pence on Defy Gravity Extended. It looks pretty interesting and has had some promising reviews.

It's much like the original, so if you enjoyed that then definitely pick it up. I've never played it on PC though and I know a lot of people have had trouble getting it to run and aloowing widescreen.

If you do get it though there is a mod that adds some of the content that was cut from the game. I would look into that.

Whatever you do, don't buy Omerta. It has the depth of a 5 dollar ios game and is incredibly repetitious. You play 5 hours before you get variation is map design and then it repeats those new objectives for several hours more until where I stopped. The combat is a poor man's X-Com that can be cheesed given it autosaves before every battle so you can auto-resolve endlessly until you win.

And the story is the most hilariously cliched thing I've experienced in a game. Just a massive disappointment all around coming from the Tropico team.

And Kotor 2 is only 2.49, when has it been cheaper?

It takes like 5 minutes to do so, less if you aren't also installing the Restored Content mod. I mean one isn't hacking anything, the program you install does it for you.

Ok thanks, so scratched that will wait for the pricedrops on omerta. Also kotor2 is 3,39€ here for some reason, when it has been 2,49€. And I don't have paypal to set up gifting so :/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Petrie

Banned
Well I own enough damn Worms games so I'm not buying another, got RCR earlier, already own the KOTOR games, TLR, and such, so I guess it looks like I'm good. Save the wallet funds for later I suppose.

JaseC

It's a good time for some "stock" play. Buy now at cheap, sell in a week for double the price

I'd planned to keep a set of regular cards and foils in my inventory to sell at a nice profit later down the track, but I forgot to do that, too.

A follow up to the post I made about Pathologic, an example of the game's bizarre and half broken translation.

pathologiccandc.jpg
Still, the atmosphere and world building very much make it a game worth playing.

deroli

Ohhh yeaah Chaos on Deponia is 75% off... I've never realized there was a sale on the Deponia games. So happy that I browsed the under 5 bucks section in the shop a few hours before the sale is finished :)
I purchased games for about 30 Euro, which is almost exactly the amount I wanted to spend. Got the games I really wanted (Trackmania2, Fez, Chaos on Deponia) as well as Sleeping Dogs and Mirror's Edge as impulse buys. It was a good sale.

I'd planned to keep a set of regular cards and foils in my inventory to sell at a nice profit later down the track, but I forgot to do that, too.

I got a foil for Kerbal, and I can already see the price going up. Crafted 2 badges, gonna sell the rest whenever Steam lets me (first days of August).
I also can't buy right now, or I'd spend a couple for the cheaper ones, and sell it in a week

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh no, to clarify the game isn't bad at all and it's certainly worth playing for the atmosphere and mechanics. Similar to the Void the world you play in has its own set of rules you have to learn in order to survive and it's a really incredible experience. One of the more interesting aspects is you can play as three different characters and in each one's story you can find the other two going about town doing their business. Like The Void it is one of the most creative games out there and to this day there is really nothing like it.

The translation is just very.....it's hard to explain but basically I'd say it kind of has a nonsensical, faux poetic vibe mixed with some really bizarre basic grammar issues. It almost leads the game an even more unsettling atmosphere but really it's just a shame that us English speaking people can't experience the game in its true form.

It's not on steam but gog has it for 9.99. http://www.gog.com/gamecard/pathologic Really is an incredibly unique game with one of the most unsettling stories in gaming, and some great progression and reveals towards the end. Just hope that remake comes out sometime within the next few years so more people will play it and in general just so that it can be considered one of the greatest games without reservations.

Edit: Rockpapershotgun has a great series of articles on the game. Just keep in mind there are spoilers, especially in the last two parts and if you plan on playing the game it's best to avoid all but the first one.
I'll keep this game in mind, thanks. $9.99 is a bit steep, so I hope there's a sale somewhere down the line (and a Steam release would be nice too).

It happened that I read its review (and The Void's) a year or 2 ago, when I was in the mood for these strange games (never played any, sadly). I also found out about a PS1 game called LSD: Dream Emulator, and I recall watching several videos on Youtube and reading a lot about it, including a forum thread (don't ask me which one, I forgot) where people would post their experiences with it.

I had forgotten all about these games, but now you brought those memories back. Thanks a lot for doing that!

JaseC

A follow up to the post I made about Pathologic, an example of the game's bizarre and half broken translation.

Still, the atmosphere and world building very much make it a game worth playing.

It's a pity the developers pulled the game from Greenlight and apparently aren't interested in relisting it (an understandable stance considering Greenlight's current state, mind you).

JaseC

I got a foil for Kerbal, and I can already see the price going up. Crafted 2 badges, gonna sell the rest whenever Steam lets me (first days of August).
I also can't buy right now, or I'd spend a couple for the cheaper ones, and sell it in a week

I do have $6 sitting in my Wallet, left over from when I levelled up the Summer Sale foil badge. I suppose I could swing a couple of the cheaper foils.

Edit: Oh, I thought this was a different thread, haha.

I do have $6 sitting in my Wallet, left over from when I levelled up the Summer Sale foil badge. I suppose I could swing a couple of the cheaper foils.

Edit: Oh, I thought this was a different thread, haha.

Check the price graphs. Shows the curve going up since yesterday

JaseC

Check the price graphs. Shows the curve going up since yesterday

Yeah, I levelled up the foil badge today and noticed the cards were all ~a buck more than they were last I checked. I literally paid for the price for being tardy.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Ok, I lied, bought The Void.

It's like this sale doesn't end...

It's a pity the developers pulled the game from Greenlight and apparently aren't interested in relisting it (an understandable stance considering Greenlight's current state, mind you).

From what I understand Strategy First listed the game without Ice-Pick Lodge's permission. Why it isn't on steam I don't know though, IPL have two games(The Void and Cargo: Quest for Gravity) on there so they shouldn't need the greenlight process right?

Alright I'm done now, time to update the haul list and post it in the haul thread. Don't know if I should copy paste or just do the screenshot thingy.

JaseC

From what I understand Strategy First listed the game without Ice-Pick Lodge's permission.

Yep.

Why it isn't on steam I don't know though, IPL have two games(The Void and Cargo: Quest for Gravity) on there so they shouldn't need the greenlight process right?

Valve's inconsistent in this area. The example I like to use is that SCS was able to put up the original Euro Truck Sim through the traditional channel after the sequel was released, however Snowbird was told that if it wanted to distribute the original Eador via Steam without going through Greenlight again, the game would need to be a pre-purchase incentive for Masters of the Broken World (which, incidentally, was the push I needed).

I firmly believe that if you've been greenlit then you should be able to leave the system behind. Valve asking otherwise in some cases does nobody any favours.

Edit: This was before the recent Q&A Valve had with Greenlight developers, so things may have changed. The most tasty bit of info is that Valve is exploring the idea of making Greenlight a sub-store of Steam, which is exactly what I suggested some months ago (though that's not to suggest I'm taking credit, of course, haha).

I think the danger would be greenlit companies posing as a publisher to get just whatever game onto steam.

Being greenlit plus your last title reaching "N" sales should be enough for a free pass.

Lost Planet 2 crashes/closes the second I choose the DX11 option in the launcher. What in the hell :/

And to clarify I had taken your comment as saying IPL (the developers) put it up and then pulled it but I see what you meant now. Still would imagine they'd be excused given they got two, unrelated games on the service. How many companies have games up and went through the greenlight process? The Frozen Synapse Devs are the ones who come to mind and I believe they chose to take that course of action.

JaseC

I think the danger would be greenlit companies posing as a publisher to get just whatever game onto steam.

This would something rather easy for Valve to prevent, though. Also, turning Greenlight into a sub-store would likely make developers hesitant about choosing a publishing partner due to the lower cut of sales this would necessitate -- if they're already seeing sales through Greenlight, then the allure of a "publisher" offering a spot on Steam proper is mitigated.

In any case, Greenlight being a popularity contest clearly isn't working, but at least Valve is acutely aware of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom