• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Summer Sales 2013 - Pick up the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reinstalling GFWL either deleted or moved my Dark Souls and Batman save files
laugh1v6b1.gif

Roland1979

I have never played counterstrike before. any of them.

Are you competitive? Do you give up quickly in fps games? Don't know how much GO differs from 1.6 but expect to die A LOT. Expect to run towards a corners and as soon as you nose is past that corner you're down. Over and over again. However, when you stick with it you'll learn. You will improve, over time. There are practice maps, even for specific weapons. If most of this doesn't sound compelling to you don't I it might not be your thing.

DukeBobby

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm going to do the 'fake key' thing, and gift the game directly through steam to whoever wins.

In that case, only enter if you don't mind winning Bad Rats :)

The 'big game' went to my email though, so the lucky winner will get that immediately.

antitrop

So now that the Steam sales are over, Battlefield Bad Company 2 and F.E.A.R. 2 are my biggest pickups.

Such is life when you're a veteran of every other Steam sale. Bad Company 2 is still good, though, I'm enjoying playing it, and I really, really want to replay FEAR 2 on PC.

I got Metro for 1 cent, too, but that wasn't "technically" a Steam sale.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
It seems the GFWL issue I'm having with Lost Planet 2 is Windows 8.1 exclusive. Because the same thing now happens with Bioshock 2, a game which I ran with no issues on Windows 8. Oh well, somewhat fucked I suppose. Not reverting back for one game. Hopefully someone smarter than me finds a fix soon.

Batman works though.

That's weird. I'm on W8.1 preview also and I could test Bioshock 2 when I get back home if you want. I did have to install some MS especific crap to make SSFIV:AE work, but after that every GFWL game worked ok.

Altazor

so for my final buy of the Summer Sale, I just bought Civ 5 Gold. The last time I played Civ5 was a couple of weeks after it was released, so I only know the vanilla experience.

anyway, I really don't have time for ONE MORE TURN, but at least I have the base game + some DLCs so I can wait for the Brave New World price drop :)

mclem

Does anyone have any views on Proteus? It seems to have been fairly well-recieved by reviewers, but is there a GAF verdict?

Echoplx

It seems the GFWL issue I'm having with Lost Planet 2 is Windows 8.1 exclusive. Because the same thing now happens with Bioshock 2, a game which I ran with no issues on Windows 8. Oh well, somewhat fucked I suppose. Not reverting back for one game. Hopefully someone smarter than me finds a fix soon.

Batman works though.

Windows 8.1 is basically an alpha at this point right? Not sure why you're surprised things don't work.

That's weird. I'm on W8.1 preview also and I could test Bioshock 2 when I get back home if you want. I did have to install some MS especific crap to make SSFIV:AE work, but after that every GFWL game worked ok.

Can you detail what you did please? Just checked every GFWL game I have and the overlay works in none of them. And yeah, I'd appreciate you checking.

Windows 8.1 is basically an alpha at this point right? Not sure why you're surprised things don't work.
Don't know if I'd really consider it an alpha, or if they do. They recommend having a backup but 95% of things work.

Edit: To clarify it is the Windows 8.1 beta. Meant more in terms of I don't think they consider it alpha like in terms of bugs and usage. I mean they obviously don't or it would be the alpha.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I actually did that. I got one of each card so in case prices won't go up by a wide margin in the future I can at least craft a badge and level up my profile.

Oh wow that's really smart. I finished my badge and just decided to hoard the rest of the cards until they rose in price.

Grief.exe

Reinstalling GFWL either deleted or moved my Dark Souls and Batman save files
laugh1v6b1.gif

Wait a couple weeks for Batman and Bioshock play throughs.

They are getting achievements and possibly removing the DRM associated with them.

If you are deleting and reinstalling remember to remove license before you do.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Bought House of Dead Ninjas blind. Hope its fun!
This was a good decision.

Is this a sliding scale, eg level 12 = +22% drop rate or is it a hard switch type deal? If it's the latter that sort of sucks, you'd need to gain 10 levels for it to influence your drop rate.
I'm certain it's not a sliding scale. Otherwise it would have made more sense to say "with every level you gain, your drop rate increases by 1%" and then given various levels as examples, not just multiples of ten.

For anyone who's just generally confused about cards, I wrote a big explanatory post about the whole mess which a few people say they've found helpful. Maybe it'll help you, too.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
My first summer sale was a success. Ended with KR0, Kane and Lynch 2, Grid and some cards to see if they go up in price later.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Does anyone have any views on Proteus? It seems to have been fairly well-recieved by reviewers, but is there a GAF verdict?

If you've ever said or agreed with the comment "_____ isn't even a game" then Proteus probably isn't for you. It's little more than a virtual walk in a park, but worth it if that might appeal to you.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Can you detail what you did please? Just checked every GFWL game I have and the overlay works in none of them. And yeah, I'd appreciate you checking.

Don't know if I'd really consider it an alpha, or if they do. They recommend having a backup but 95% of things work.

Edit: To clarify it is the Windows 8.1 beta. Meant more in terms of I don't think they consider it alpha like in terms of bugs and usage. I mean they obviously don't or it would be the alpha.

Sure no problem, it took me a while to find the right distributable which was needed plus the gfwl client, it didn't work with the client alone, it had to be both. I get back from work in 10 hours or so, PM if you can because I may forget.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Oh dear. I'm about to start playing Dark Souls. Does DSfix's save backup prevent GFWL cockups like this? Assuming I stick to the same account?
It's got a savefile backup function.

nexen

denzel-smokingczb11.gif

(I just wanted an excuse to post this gif. :p)
That movie is so amazingly good.

Spent $100. Planned to spend max $50. I have no willpower when it comes to Steam sales.

This is like the summer of the ARPG for me though. Holy crap I have a lot of them now.

edit: only thing I regret is the Devil May Cry bundle. I knew I didn't like those games going in, but I still wanted them. DMC4 crashes like mad on my rig too, so it is a total waste.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I should have done this when it was ~$10 to craft the badge. Now I won't be getting HL3.

If it's any consolation, I had to pay ~$20 for the requisite cards. I didn't expect the foils to increase in price so suddenly; instead I had assumed they'd still be floating around $1~$1.50, even in the closing hours of the sale, however I was grossly incorrect. "Hindsight is 20/20" and all that.

Oreoleo

You sure about that?

From tried to get Cloud Saves working through Steam, but never activated the feature.
Well. All I know is my windows hard drive with steam installed on it died a few months ago and took the saves for all my other games with it. After I downloaded gfwlsetup.exe and reacquired my gamertag my level 30 character was there. When I loaded the game before I ran GFWL setup, it wasn't.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Interactive screensaver, very dynamic, some interesting visual experiences, yes it has an ending so don't stop until you've finished it and yes you'll know when you've finished it.

DukeBobby

HOAV34q.png

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bad Rats #5 -- MB-26CBA316A2E8A103 - Taken by Meizzner
Bad Rats #4 -- MB-499131424AF66B60 - Taken by Nabs
Bad Rats #3 -- MB-E6B0C13E2436ED81 - Taken by BHK3
Bad Rats #2 -- MB-B1815BC21363D9FF - Taken by Kandrick
Bad Rats -- MB-A4BCD4FAB2480003 - Taken by Cth

1 of these is Rogue Legacy, the other 4 are fake keys (or Bad Rats if you want it)

This isn't exactly what I had planned, but it's good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom