• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the party, but brought some good, expensive beer: Armed & Dangerous

xsarien

daedsiluap
So, the demo sold me as soon as I got the shark gun. What can I say? On the list of people who are fans of shooters, I'm probably dead last; but if the game's just going to be firmly tongue-in-cheek about the whole thing, and at $20, I'm all for giving it a ride on my rig.

So until the game comes, and I can get a better grasp of how I feel beyond "Can I just use the shark gun for everything?", I'll ask this:

Ebgames.com is still selling the PC version with the bonus disc, so that's what I ordered. I don't seem to recall anyone covering this on the old GAF, but if anyone bothered installing Sam and Max, did it work on an XP machine? Or am I going to have to pull start the ol' 486 sitting under the desk?

border

Yes, the Shark Gun is great and it sold a lot of people on the game. Unfortunately it's like the only really funny/ingenius weapon that A&D has to offer. If you are expecting more stuff like that, then you'll be disappointed......most of the game has you using the bog standard machine gun/sniper rifle combo.

It is an average shoot-em-up at best, and most of the humor falls flat. If this was PlanetMoon's first game I don't think they would have such a sizable cult following. I suppose you could do worse with $20, but you could also do a lot better. If you absolutely must play a third person shooting game, then you might as well go for it. There are some pretty cool stages where you get a jetpack/glider combo, and there's plenty of stuff to blast up.

I don't know if Sam & Max will work out of the box, but you can definitely get them running with SCUMM or DOSbox -- programs that emulate older PC environments.

xsarien

daedsiluap
border said:
Yes, the Shark Gun is great and it sold a lot of people on the game. Unfortunately it's like the only really funny/ingenius weapon that A&D has to offer. If you are expecting more stuff like that, then you'll be disappointed......most of the game has you using the bog standard machine gun/sniper rifle combo.

It is an average shoot-em-up at best, and most of the humor falls flat. If this was PlanetMoon's first game I don't think they would have such a sizable cult following. I suppose you could do worse with $20, but you could also do a lot better. If you absolutely must play a third person shooting game, then you might as well go for it. There are some pretty cool stages where you get a jetpack/glider combo, and there's plenty of stuff to blast up.

I don't know if Sam & Max will work out of the box, but you can definitely get them running with SCUMM or DOSbox -- programs that emulate older PC environments.

Well, yeah. The problem is that I've moved beyond "jaded" as far as PC games go. "Superjaded," I guess. Whatever the next notch is, that's me. It seems like a nice, tightly wound 3rd person shooter, and to be honest, I've played worse. I look at it like this: I paid $20 for what's (allegedly) a tweaked-to-run-in-XP version of Sam and Max, and got Armed and Dangerous for free.

(Also, when I built this machine, I spent, like, $400 and change on a GF4 Ti4600 because of some bizarre notion that I'd suddenly fall in love with PC games again. I may as well give it some kind of workout.)

:: Watches his "bonus" be some kind of stupid pocket knife or something ::

I picked this up on a clearance shelf for 7.99 and finially loaded it only the hard drive a couple of days ago. Lasted 1.5 levels before it was nuked. I realize some people love this, but I should have just trusted the reviews I read. This game is the Webster's defintion of monotonous. Love the style, but the gameplay... I think Planet Moon made a wise decision to concentrate solely on PSP, because only a handheld will truly embrace such shallow gaming.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Just a quick bump for anyone interested in the Sam and Max angle of my original post:
The answer is a resounding "Yes!" It's tweaked to run in Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, and XP. That is, if the readme file is to be believed.

Maybe there is something to this "God" thing after all. ;)

Anyway, after having given it some thought, and more importantly, having played the demo stone cold sober (that is, with some actual sleep in my system), I've changed my mind. A&D's "hitting the road," so to speak, with me this weekend to the local EB. $20 store credit here I come. More importantly, what do I get?

Suggestions ahoy!

=W=

Bah, I loved A&D and I never got bored with it. The jetpack levels were ace and I thought the game was pretty darn funny. In fact, I think I'm gonna play it again right now.

A&D was boring and the jokes were lame. Also a good example of over-use of bump mapping. The in-game movies look like '94 rendered ones... in a bad way.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Sorry but the "When i snap my fingers, you'll be FRENCH" joke was the single funniest piece of humour in a videogame ever.

Great 3rd person shooter. the British humor kept me in stitches. And it's not a bad game. I have the XBox version and it plays pretty well. Pretty straight forward but a decent game. Very good graphics and gameplay. The Star Wars references will crack you up.

I was sad to hear that Planet Moon is getting out of the console and PC business to focus on future handhelds. They've made some great games. Giants: Citizen Kabuto was a classic game that must be experienced. A&D is a great game that can be found for $20 all over the place. Check Best Buy, Gamestop, or EB.

Top Bottom