• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Develop at Ubisoft: mentorship program for women and nonbinary people, applications start September 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toons

images

Explain how this is different if you would be so kind.

Are you trying to make the claim that specifically wanting to train a group of individuals who usually are not hired or are discouraged from doing so is the same thing as saying that entire groups of people cannot will not or should not be able to work there?

Because the difference seems pretty obvious.

Sane ppl who want ubisoft to priorityze quality of their games, and not pushing woke agenda, we got plenty clown world already, dont need to make it even more crazy.

So don’t buy their games if it bothers you. They can run their company how they see fit. You can choose not to support them. Nothing wrong with that.

I guess this is why it’s legal

Most of these internships are paths toward getting a job offer at the end of it, don't kid yourself, this is how they get around the discrimination laws. They discriminate based on their criteria in offering these unpaid internships, and then they "indiscriminately" hire from the pool of people who completed the internship program.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Diverse voices are important everywhere. Lest you have an echo chamber of homegeny with people drawing from the same experiences and pushing the same ideas about other ones. Even here, on this site the benefit of diverse voices can be clearly seen.
Games were great before the push for diversity and now is going to shitter ... so again.. even after the purple hair, soyboys and non binarys infiltraded the whole western industry .. tell me how MORE diverse them we alredy have is better .. because all I see is worst results.

RCX

Ubi gets to publicly crow about diversity while not paying someone to be the tea-boy/tea-they/tea-xir

And this makes good games, how?

Diverse voices are important everywhere. Lest you have an echo chamber of homegeny with people drawing from the same experiences and pushing the same ideas about other ones. Even here, on this site the benefit of diverse voices can be clearly seen.

I'd have sworn that in the Western media I see many different hair colors but only one voice, one opinion, and one point of view. Everything outside of that is nazi, maga, alt-right.

Is that what you mean by "diverse voices" ? THE MESSAGE repeated ad nauseam by people with different accents and skin colors?

By the way, this is straight-up segregation and is illegal in EVERY legal body of every civilized country in the world. But of course, politicians promote this stuff, the only reason why it's allowed.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
So don’t buy their games if it bothers you. They can run their company how they see fit. You can choose not to support them. Nothing wrong with that.
Ofc but i will still not stop calling them out, freedom of speech after all, if i wanted to sit quiet i would visit rainbow forum xD

Nikodemos

Reminds me of EA making all that noise about supporting marriage equality just coincidentally at the same time they were getting shit for Mass Effect 3’s ending and won the “worst company in America” award.
Yup, it's basically the gay equivalent of greenwashing. "Queerwashing"?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Don’t you love how government will get involved and be pissed if there’s discrimination of a store owner wants to pick sides favouring certain groups of people?

But if a business wants to hire workers based on discriminatory check boxes, suddenly it’s a-ok? And no shame too. Publicly stated initiatives.

Figure that one out.

Last edited:

Toons

I'd have sworn that in the Western media I see many different hair colors but only one voice, one opinion, and one point of view. Everything outside of that is nazi, maga, alt-right.

really? Because all of these released in the last year and are very different in perspective and protsyal.

HBMMkWI.jpeg
Kogcihg.jpeg
xoPX7Gx.jpeg
zvy02R0.jpeg

Is that what you mean by "diverse voices" ? THE MESSAGE repeated ad nauseam by people with different accents and skin colors?

No, I mean diverse voices. Different classes, races, types of people getting to tell their stories.

By the way, this is straight-up segregation and is illegal in EVERY legal body of every civilized country in the world. But of course, politicians promote this stuff and this is allowed.

Seeking applications specific group of people for a training group is not segregation, as seeking a specific group of people is not inherently an act of separation. If I do a casting call for little women and put out a list requesting women, im not segregating then from men lol.

kiphalfton

Thats definitely a stance, one you can validly have, but its not informed and more based on your own personal feelings than anything relevant.

The problem is you're defending their definition of "diverse". Yes it can be seen as diverse in the grand scheme of things, but it's all relative. Like coupled with like, means no diversity. At which point it's like you said, one big echo chamber. That's what they create, and that's made evident by games made in the past couple years that are all pushing the same narrative.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Btw just to complement.. echo chambers is exactly what is missing in todays industry ... the right ones ... if you are making a game that the historic target audience is 80% straight males .. what the fuck do I need fiminists, purple hairs, non binarys and etc all voicing their bias opinion ? .. how about a bunch of male nerds doing a game to sell for a bunch of male nerds ? This used to sell a lot of fucking games .... but now is a crazy concept.. and them games dont sell.. and the fucking purple lunatics morons dont know why

All I see now days is women led games, a lot of diversity and lgbtq themes, devs with pronouns and lit X accounts with activism .. All I see is inclusivity.. and the games mostly SUX!!! .. and you want more ?

For what purpose.. just because ? ... gtfo

Last edited:

solecon64

Neo Member
Can't believe all the bigoted nazi views in this thread, ugh. Stop being on the wrong side of history, guys. Diversity is our future.

Personally, I 100% support Ubisoft's approach here. I actually hope they bring even more diversity into their company. Can't wait for them to diversify the majority stakeholders and leadership positions soon, too.

Their share prices diversifying to historic lows is also a great move, I hear.

Last edited:

Toons

Their own listing requires that to be eligible you must:
  • Be legally entitled to work in the country where you are applying
I get that they say its not a job, but that's a strange requirement for something that isn't a job in my opinion. And let's be real. Just getting a foot in the door to a big company can be tough. An opportunity to be mentored is quite possibly a great way to get a job afterwards.

I agree. I just fail to see how any of that makes this a bad thing?

Ofc but i will still not stop calling them out, freedom of speech after all, if i wanted to sit quiet i would visit rainbow forum xD
Haha. All good. I guess I just don’t get worked up by shit like this. If it bothers you, then by all means, do what you gotta do. I’m not trying to change hearts and minds here. 😂

Toons

Btw just to complement.. echo chambers is exactly what is missing in todays industry ... the right ones ... if you are making a game that the historic target audience is 80% straight males .. what the fuck do I need fiminists, purple hairs, non binarys and etc all voicing their bias opinion ? .. how about a bunch of male nerds doing a game to sell for a bunch of male nerds ? This used to sell a lot of fucking games .... but now is a crazy concept.. and them games dont sell.. and the fucking purple lunatics morons dont know why

You're asking for pandering.

No media, game or not, was ever good because it was pandering. Some have been good in spite of it though.

Toons

Ubisoft wont hire you bro

Im a comic artist, not a game dev. I've met many diverse voices in my comics journey as well. Im happy they're here, and I hope there's more people like me in the gaming sphere. We don't always agree but we do agree on the positive impact that having diverse voices csn have on any medium. To argue other wise is anti art and anti creative.

Bernardougf

You're asking for pandering.

No media, game or not, was ever good because it was pandering. Some have been good in spite of it though.
Pandering is what we have now genius.. just to a public that dont exist.. what I described is target audience and development concentrated for said audience to maximize sales. How obtuse can you be.

Lol pandenring.. thats exactly why you people is failing again and again.. you want to work but hate the target you have to sell to ... your ideas my friend are leaving proof of the failure dominant in this industry right now.

Last edited:

Nikodemos

Honestly, this is just a cheap attempt at throwing off heat by Ubi. It's been relatively common knowledge that Ubi is a shit employer for quite some time. They're just doing some window dressing to appear like they're tackling the problem.

dottme

In France, where they are located, I’m pretty sure this is illegal. Discrimination based on gender is a big no.

Edit: if you’re a guy in France. Apply, get rejected because you’re a guy, lawsuit, money.

Last edited:
If I can identify as a non-binary woman I can also identify as a college graduate even though I'm a drop out.

I could hire a fucking hamster to make a more appealing Ubisoft game than the slop they make now. At least running indefinitely inside a hamster wheel would be entreating and wouldn't have fetch quests.

Last edited:

Toons

Pandering is what we have now genius.. just to a public that dont exist.. what I described is target audience and development concentrated for said audience to maximize sales. How obtuse can you be.
No, what you described is pandering. You literally argued for an echo chamber lol. You just like the audience being pandered to in your scenario, and you dont like the one you alledge is being pandered to here.

Pandering is always to maximize sales and its often successful. What pandering does not do, is make good art. Sometimes good art isn't the most cost lucrative, but that doesn't mean 8t shouldn't be made.

CherryFalls

Banned
Im a comic artist
many diverse voices in my comics journey as well. Im happy they're here
positive impact that having diverse voices can have on any medium. To argue other wise is anti art and anti creative.

You litrally tried to cancel a fellow comic artist in this very thread because he was diverse in a direction you didnt like. You people are such frauds lmao

diffusionx

Gold Member
They have no way of proving you’re “nonbinary” and it’s illegal for them to ask. This whole system runs on the honor code. Just saying.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

No, what you described is pandering. You literally argued for an echo chamber lol. You just like the audience being pandered to in your scenario, and you dont like the one you alledge is being pandered to here.

Pandering is always to maximize sales and its often successful. What pandering does not do, is make good art. Sometimes good art isn't the most cost lucrative, but that doesn't mean 8t shouldn't be made.
LoL you can make Art all you want.. good luck selling your woke shit art in the real world buddy... your devs friends are finding out this the hard way..

Last edited:

Toons

If my kids applied they would be rejected from this opportunity because of their immutable characteristics. Might not be bad to you, but I consider it a horrendous policy for a large corporation.

Well I can't apply either, but I support this because its goal is one of outreach to people that often do not get hired into these potions because of their immutable characteristics.

This large corporation, which employs many like you, your kids and me already, aren't making a bad policy by doing here. It may not be successful but I see the intention as nothing but good.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Surely that will improve the games. And watch them point other things out for them potentially losing sales.

NickFire

Well I can't apply either, but I support this because its goal is one of outreach to people that often do not get hired into these potions because of their immutable characteristics.

This large corporation, which employs many like you, your kids and me already, aren't making a bad policy by doing here. It may not be successful but I see the intention as nothing but good.
Comrade, I'm comforted by the knowledge that you support discrimination against my children. So heartwarming to read.

I am confused by the claim these people don't often get hired though. I guess my eyes are lying to me too. https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/company/about-us/our-people

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom