• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaders of euro zone's biggest economies back multi-speed Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loona

Yeah, me too, in theory. But then we get to the nitty-gritty of the thing, like, where's the capital and part of me goes "Not fucking Madrid, nope!" :D

Yeah, a lot of Portuguese history can almost be summed up as "Spain GTFO" - it's one thing to be on amicable terms, it's entirely another to remember that our only land border is with a country that's at least 3 times bigger and has its capital right in the middle of the whole peninsula that contains both countries - practically the definition of uncomfortable geography.

Then again, Spain barely seems to manage the regions it contains that already have their own languages and ambitions of independence, and that seems to translate into efforts to have most of their media dubbed in Spanish to try and enforce some sense of national cohesion, which hasn't done any favours to many a Spaniard's English skills in my experience...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yeah, me too, in theory. But then we get to the nitty-gritty of the thing, like, where's the capital and part of me goes "Not fucking Madrid, nope!" :D
Make Toledo Great Again.

and that seems to translate into efforts to have most of their media dubbed in Spanish to try and enforce some sense of national cohesion
This is baseless, though.

barber

Make Toledo Great Again.

This is baseless, though.

Make Asturias Great Again!
Though most likely the different speed will probably start with linking some services that are more or less similar between countries plus the armies which would be good imo

RocknRola

I'm mostly concerned with Portugal, being where I'm from - size, being at the western edge of the continent and being stuck with only Spain as a neighbour have historically done it few favours, and economy-wise it's had its share of troubles which rarely get mentioned compared to how much others like Greece got to be a recurring topic.

I'm totes ok with an Iberian federation, tbh.

Yeah, a lot of Portuguese history can almost be summed up as "Spain GTFO" - it's one thing to be on amicable terms, it's entirely another to remember that our only land border is with a country that's at least 3 times bigger and has its capital right in the middle of the whole peninsula that contains both countries - practically the definition of uncomfortable geography.

Then again, Spain barely seems to manage the regions it contains that already have their own languages and ambitions of independence, and that seems to translate into efforts to have most of their media dubbed in Spanish to try and enforce some sense of national cohesion, which hasn't done any favours to many a Spaniard's English skills in my experience...

PortuSpain?

Ha. No. Would rather be poor. :p

Sorry nothing in particular against Spain, but no. You don't throw away 888 years of full independence (minus a couple of "breaks" here and there) and history just because.

Sorry nothing in particular against Spain, but no. You don't throw away 888 years of full independence (minus a couple of "breaks" here and there) and history just because.

Yeah sorry, if that's your issue you're a few years too late, although I guess losing independence to Brussels doesn't sting, cause' it's Brussels. :D

RocknRola

Yeah sorry, if that's your issue you're a few years too late, although I guess losing independence to Brussels doesn't sting, cause' it's Brussels. :D

Are we really? Feels like the way the EU works it doesn't impose sovereignity on other countries just willy nilly. If it did, I can assure you that economically at least, we'd probably be better off. The money did come, but not necessarily to the "pockets of the people" :p

Taking orders from Madrid however... that's a whole different ball game. One that we've shown time and time again we have zero interest in.

Magni

Problem is, europeans love their country far more than they do Europe.

That is certainly true, but I feel the younger generation is a lot more European than the previous ones. Programs like Erasmus have really helped (at least, for those who went to university). I have friends from all over Europe, who live all over Europe. Frenchies in Spain, Tugas in Italy, Dutchies in France, etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom