• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

Nekofrog

Banned
I kinda feel for Talents and Zky now that I'm trying to play mid, I think I'm gonna become a really good top laner way before that at this rate.

This is the same as keeping just the solo Q lol

Who the hell is gonna say yes to premades

a lot of people aren't going to care if they get premades/solos as long as they get their lane.

thats the important part. make it a check box and not an entirely different queue.

Nekofrog

Banned
no it makes it so that people who want solo can still solo without the barrier of "only queue for this". check/uncheck at will.

Leezard

pbe stuff again

Sivir
Ricochet (W) [ effect has been on PBE but this added to tooltip: "If Ricochet scores a critical hit on the first target then all subsequent bounces will also be critical hits"]

Soraka
[HOLD UP. Will snag values and potentially other changes when server up.]

Starcall (Q)
[Alignment no longer restores mana]
[Alignment now also grants movement speed when effect expires]
Astral Infusion (W) [tooltip updated to reflect recent alignment changes]
"If cast while affected by Alignment Soraka will transfer the effect to her target with a refreshed duration, and give herself its expiration effects immediately"

I wonder if Soraka will ever be both fun and balanced. I'm guessing not.

zkylon

zkylewd
♪ draven mix ♪

at work so cant listen but u know, probably terrible like the teemo one

no it makes it so that people who want solo can still solo without the barrier of "only queue for this". check/uncheck at will.
it's literally the same -__-

instead of being a separate queue button you now have a checkbox in the normal queue that sends you to the separate solo queue

Nekofrog

Banned
♪ draven mix ♪

at work so cant listen but u know, probably terrible like the teemo one

it's literally the same -__-

instead of being a separate queue button you now have a checkbox in the normal queue that sends you to the separate solo queue

tbh i'm talking more from a design standpoint

i would like there to be like 3 basic lobbies

1 normal subdivided into check boxes for "Blind, Draft"
2 ranked with check boxes for "no premades"
3. aram

im thinking about the clutter.

zkylon

zkylewd
tbh i'm talking more from a design standpoint

i would like there to be like 3 basic lobbies

1 normal subdivided into check boxes for "Blind, Draft"
2 ranked with check boxes for "no premades"
3. aram

im thinking about the clutter.
i mean ok, league client sucks and needs a new ui, agreed lol

doesn't have anything to do wtih premades or solo queue tho, that applies to runes and masteries, skin shop, champion info, etc.

honestly i think solo queue is a dumb idea and rito should've just said nuke it like they nuked dominion

zkylon

zkylewd
i mean, sure, if the original wheel wasn't really a wheel but more like a pile of trash

and now some weirdos love trash so much that rito's like "ok not throwing this trash away"

Quonny

I don't know why they don't allow people to queue up for one, three, or four roles, though. I mean, yeah, longer queues for the people who only want one role, but for example I would be okay with three roles.

Forcing people into two is a weird decision.

zkylon

zkylewd
the problem isn't the number of roles, it's the distribution and the irrelevancy of your primary role

like if i pick mid primary i expect to play more mid than anything else

that's what primary means or implies or whatever

it should be 51% of the times mid at worst

instead it's been more like 25% of the times mid

that's terrible in every possible way and forces you to premade which is fine but basically means i can never play solo ever again

Quonny

But if you wanted mid that bad you should just queue up for mid.

No algorithm needed if you can just pick the roles you want to queue up as. Support, mid, top, and ADC? Well, the first one that needs one of those roles, queue pop. Eh, I feel like mid this game. Then you'll wait for mid to be open.

Solves literally all problems. If you only want one role, then wait. ez.

Hard

Banned
Mid players are the only people that get screwed by the new system. As a top lane main, I don't really mind. I get my role 95% of the time.

It feels like Riot always has to re-invent the wheel tbh

Giving us solutions for problems we never had

In fairness, I've heard that businesses shouldn't just try to give customers what they want but also things they don't even know they want. Whether or not we want all the things Riot tries is a different question, but it's good that they're at least trying to do some things we weren't expecting.

Quonny

Team Builder was a separate mode where you had to choose only one role and had to pick a champion as well, and everyone else did too.

Really not even remotely the same thing.

Leezard

Team Builder was a separate mode where you had to choose only one role and had to pick a champion as well, and everyone else did too.

Really not even remotely the same thing.

Remember the waiting times in team builder? That's in line with what you can expect if you got to only choose one role.

Luigi87

When you're going top, and down bot there is a lv.1 fight in which your team gives up first blood, and a second death (and only collects one kill)

"Okay, that happens..."

And then for the next ten minutes what constantly seemed like endless teamfighting among mid and bot (in which the enemy team was racking up kills) while you're just trying to hold top lane (meanwhile I'm pushed to my tower during this whole time farming safely while my opponent just keeps pushing)... Just sad times.

Finally think I'm done with League for a while. I've been playing it for a year now and I wouldn't say it's been fun but a moderately enjoyable way to waste time, and I've pumped a lot of money into it for cosmetics and shit, but it's just no longer fun anymore when I get on massive losing streaks, or try and better myself by assessing what I can do better or using Youtube and other resources, then it goes to shit when my teammates throw games or I feed the enemy with one or two kills and get lambasted with toxicity from kids who're playing past their bed time and then they want to forfeit cause they're losing and their mum's shouting that they're going to be late for school.

I've not really got anyone reliable I can lobby with on ranked either, and I was hoping to at least get back to Gold V like I was last season but it seems impossible at this point. I really can't be bothered.

Street Fighter's out next week so I can invest in that like I did with SFIV instead, and if I lose there at least it's completely on my own skill and wrongdoing.

pigeon

Banned
I don't know why they don't allow people to queue up for one, three, or four roles, though. I mean, yeah, longer queues for the people who only want one role, but for example I would be okay with three roles.

Forcing people into two is a weird decision.

I don't understand why people in this thread keep saying they don't understand this!

Riot will never allow you to queue for just one role because it would be optimal for ranked play and so everybody would do it and it would be team builder again. The entire rest of the queuing system would be irrelevant. People will always do the thing that improves their odds of winning even if the player experience sucks.

The whole reason they decided you need at least two roles was because otherwise queue times would be much worse (because queue times are gated by the population of the least popular role).

zkylon

zkylewd
But if you wanted mid that bad you should just queue up for mid.

No algorithm needed if you can just pick the roles you want to queue up as. Support, mid, top, and ADC? Well, the first one that needs one of those roles, queue pop. Eh, I feel like mid this game. Then you'll wait for mid to be open.

Solves literally all problems. If you only want one role, then wait. ez.
my options under ur system r long q times or not ever playing mid

that still sucks for me

Repgnar

Has the role percentage really been that bad for mid? I've been doing Support as my primary for the vast majority my games and just about every game i've gotten it with ADC being my secondary. I've played with people that have top, adc, and jungle as their primaries quite a bit too and they've always gotten those the vast majority of the time. I've yet to see anyone link their match history after saying "I've gotten my secondary as much as my primary".

Talents

Banned
Has the role percentage really been that bad for mid? I've been doing Support as my primary for the vast majority my games and just about every game i've gotten it with ADC being my secondary. I've played with people that have top, adc, and jungle as their primaries quite a bit too and they've always gotten those the vast majority of the time. I've yet to see anyone link their match history after saying "I've gotten my secondary as much as my primary".

Yeah it's pretty bad. Whenever I play normals with a friend, we always queue in a way where 1 of will always get mid, and then he trades it to me if he gets it. Otherwise there's quite a high chance I won't get mid. Kinda sucks.

Edwardo

i wonder if the megatank splitpushing build will catch on, idk how popular it is already but banner into zztop sounds really annoying

The majority of my games have been both tank and splitpush heavy since the new season started. I've been seeing zz rot in a lot of them too.

zkylon

zkylewd
the problem with the "queue for how many roles you want" thing is that i don't mind supporting, i wouldn't even mind supporting like 40% of the times or a big number like that

i just don't want to support 75% of the times and i don't want to have teambuilder queue times

some solutions/ideas:
- make it a bit slower for everyone to increase matchmaking quality
- make a priority system that puts ppl on the front of the role queue if they've had a long streak of getting their secondary
- show you the role you're gonna get before asking you to join a match so it allows you to say "i'll just wait a little while longer". this could be capped at 2 or 3 times to hurt queue times as little as possible
- raise primary priority so that jerks using mid as their secondary to guarantee their primary don't have to do that

idk

i didn't really play much solo queue cos i quit once i saw how it was working but this were my results from 5 games:

1 top
3 supp
1 mid

that's not counting probably 3 or 4 more times i got support but someone forgot to pick so the game was dodged

since then i've just done 3+ premades exclusively and i've gotten mid most of the times

Hard

Banned
Mid is seen as a big "carry" role (1v1 lane, middle of the map for quick roams), so it's going to be more popular.

Tbh:

Mid > ADC > Top > Jungle > Support

Only reason jungle is low is because it's very complex.

Repgnar

i didn't really play much solo queue cos i quit once i saw how it was working but this were my results from 5 games:

1 top
3 supp
1 mid

that's not counting probably 3 or 4 more times i got support but someone forgot to pick so the game was dodged

since then i've just done 3+ premades exclusively and i've gotten mid most of the times

Was this when the system first went live? They fine tuned some things because they weren't getting the numbers they wanted.

zkylon

zkylewd
a system that screws one role and one of the most popular at it is not a successful system

you can get around it playing premade but yeah, not great

Mid is seen as a big "carry" role (1v1 lane, middle of the map for quick roams), so it's going to be more popular.

Tbh:

mid is popular cos everyone is using it to get their role because this system doesn't really care about primary or secondary and just gives you the first one it finds free which is never mid cos everyone is trying to game it as well as rito doing poor tuning of it

Was this when the system first went live? They fine tuned somethings because they weren't getting the numbers they wanted.
i can't remember but i don't play on na server so i got dynamic queue after some iterations, so probably not?

idk, my experience with it was so bad so it's been a while

The majority of my games have been both tank and splitpush heavy since the new season started. I've been seeing zz rot in a lot of them too.
interesting

i tend to have a weird view of the game since i play so much ranked 5s so i only have like half the players to get a feel of the meta from

pigeon

Banned
Honestly I would mostly just like Riot to explain their thought process behind primary/secondary prioritization better. This is one area which is really opaque right now. I assume that this is because only like three backend engineers understand it well but I think at least knowing how Riot intends this to work (even if their answer is "screw you, don't choose support secondary") would help.

zkylon

zkylewd
i mean i'm not gonna say it's easy to do a working system that leaves everyone happy and i actually prefer this system to before since i can now play draft with my friends (since we don't have normals draft in south america) as long as they're not too sucky but u know, i can't say it works when it doesn't

that's why i'm so weirded out by this solo queue thing, how much will this fragment the community and how negative will its effects be just so some ppl can 1v9

cos at least as a premade we can arrange things so i always get mid but solo queue will just be impossible if current system is any indication

drawkcaB

I've yet to see anyone link their match history after saying "I've gotten my secondary as much as my primary".

When I was queuing jungle/support I got support 7/9 times I tried it. Ever since I either go jungle/mid or jungle/top and I've gotten jungle 5/6 times. Even if I happen to get a secondary I just leave and queue up again after the timer is done and get jungle.

patchday

Finally think I'm done with League for a while. I've been playing it for a year now and I wouldn't say it's been fun but a moderately enjoyable way to waste time, and I've pumped a lot of money into it for cosmetics and shit, but it's just no longer fun anymore when I get on massive losing streaks, or try and better myself by assessing what I can do better or using Youtube and other resources, then it goes to shit when my teammates throw games or I feed the enemy with one or two kills and get lambasted with toxicity from kids who're playing past their bed time and then they want to forfeit cause they're losing and their mum's shouting that they're going to be late for school.

I've not really got anyone reliable I can lobby with on ranked either, and I was hoping to at least get back to Gold V like I was last season but it seems impossible at this point. I really can't be bothered.

Street Fighter's out next week so I can invest in that like I did with SFIV instead, and if I lose there at least it's completely on my own skill and wrongdoing.

I didnt know SFIV was out next week. Been waiting on that one. If you are on PS4 hit me up. psn sandboxgod

Tbh:

Popularity of roles? That would be Mid > Top > Jungle > ADC > Support

When team builder existed, Support took forever but next to that it was ADC role

Newt

Popularity of roles? That would be Mid > Top > Jungle > ADC > Support

When team builder existed, Support took forever but next to that it was ADC role
This is probably right. ADC was a bit more popular after the rework, but after nerfs are being handed out, it's going back down.

It's more like

Mid > Top > Jungle = ADC > Support

sleepykyo

mid is popular cos everyone is using it to get their role because this system doesn't really care about primary or secondary and just gives you the first one it finds free which is never mid cos everyone is trying to game it as well as rito doing poor tuning of it

5 games of primary top and secondary support and being 100% support of time. I'm simply never queuing as support as again. I might as well got primary top and secondary mid so I can maybe actually get top.

edit: Got top on first try. Thank you for showing me the light Zky.

Top Bottom